Ruby Granger #33 Goes on a boat, dresses like Captain Birdseye

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She must come from a very rich family; When is she actually going to get a job? So she's taking a year off, doing nothing but read books, play dress up and write letters to her friends? What about that cottage she bought some years ago? Mom and dad raised a really spoiled little brat.

Reactions: 5
Untit7864546678699085675789466yiuyiu678874645677987#8045675656567544354598768675675665756756led.jpg

Ety7FNoWQAwjZzB copy.png

Untit7864546678699085675789466yiuyiu678874645677987#804578678675656567544354598768675675665756...jpg

"I could hear a strange, muffled whirring sound coming from underground, as though someone were spinning in their grave."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
So basically, this isn't a vacation or a trip to travel solitary and have adventures, tour with groups, and maybe even make a new friend or two. It is a paid promotion and a 3 week ad. Just lost complete interest. She is living like a complete hermit in a foreign country and doing everything possible to avoid socializing. No thank you. Not interested in spoiled brats that never grow up into mature, responsible adults.

Reactions: 26
Screenshot_20221101-221050_Chrome.jpg

Oh look.

"Voluntary." Sure, Ruby. If they just gifted you VIP tours and treatment, then you were paid and that needs to be declared.

Also Ruby's privilege strikes again, and she gets a cushy opportunity creating content and "developing a social media strategy" for the museum despite not being remotely qualified or skilled to do so.

She couldn't do that for the stationery business that she keeps claiming as her own and has to pass that off to someone else. Her own social media marketing has been a colossal embarrassment frought with PR nightmares and incompetence, she abandoned the low-committment book club she started, and all signs point to her having just bought her way to success on TikTok by hammering the paid 'Promote' option.

She's been on the museum's social media one single day and she's somehow made it look incredibly dull and her posts have been full of errors. And yet she gets the opportunity over god knows how many other people who're more skilled, take more pride in their work, actually have a genuine interest in literature, and to whom the opportunity might actually mean something.

• Angry
Reactions: 22
Her life is going to be so phony, in everything she does. She will never know what it means to be original, spontaneous, or authentic. She will always be playing parts, always be lacking her own individual personality, always searching, always buying her way into things. Seriously. Think about that. Would you want her life? I know I would not. The best things that have happened to me were not planned out, paid for, scheduled or put on social media. They were private moments between me and others, they were accomplishments that made me feel so good, I had no need to share or advertise them, they were not staged and never needed any validation from anyone, especially a bunch of strangers on the internet. Think of how empty her life really is. It is beyond pathetic.

• Sad
Reactions: 25
So basically, this isn't a vacation or a trip to travel solitary and have adventures, tour with groups, and maybe even make a new friend or two. It is a paid promotion and a 3 week ad. Just lost complete interest. She is living like a complete hermit in a foreign country and doing everything possible to avoid socializing. No thank you. Not interested in spoiled brats that never grow up into mature, responsible adults.
I honestly thought that this holiday would be adventurous as I thought that she would explore Boston and go on various tours around the city. But after finding out that she is doing nothing on this trip is so disappointing because I honestly don't understand why she has decided to stay in the same places because surely she must get bored of them. The fact that this entire trip is a paid promotion and a 3 week ad makes me feel uncomfortable and it makes me angry is that the museum have just allowed her to create content and develop a social media strategy, I mean why have they agreed to let her do this when they could have selected other people to do this it just makes me feel mad that the museum have agreed to this when she has only just been to the Museum today and has never been before.

I have had a look at the volunteering section on the museum website and they typically support volunteers during May through to October as most of the programs and events take place during these months, yet Ruby is allowed to volunteer in November when they don't even take volunteers during this month so why have they made this exception for Ruby. IMO it is unfair on all the people who volunteer because Ruby is allowed to go into the museum on the day that it is closed and is allowed to volunteer straight away, yet other people who have probably lived in Boston all their life have wanted to volunteer and have been told that they can't by the museum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17
If I were in Boston during Halloween, I'd try to make the most out of the touristy stuff in Salem 😂
Haha, when my grandparents visited my cousin in Boston this is exactly what they did. They loved it.

Yeah, she seems to be staying somewhere on her own. About the pics, I'm kinda convinced that one photo was possibly taken by another person (who might be just a passerby that happened to know her) as she strolled around the city, given that she was literally met by someone as I read the commentary on that post; or maybe she just left her camera rested on something nearby while taking that shot (or maybe she brought a tripod with her, a light one ideal for a trip). Well, these are all just pure speculations we have here. 😅 I'm assuming we're reading the same page, though might be ambiguous but I think the line that includes 'we' is just a general statement about music switched right after.
Yeah that's all possible. Though I'm sure she mentioned going to meet with a friend - this was in one of her vlogs before the trip iirc.

Her entire holiday has been profoundly dull so far, so I've taken the liberty of making the whole disastrous affair a dash more exciting for her and commemorating the trip so far in movie form:

I can't even choose a favourite. How do you make these? 😂 😂 I love that 'The Raven' is sponsored by Bird & Blend.

*who's

Yeah...this isn't getting any better...
First in English lit degree...🤨

Reactions: 4
Well I for one aren't surprised, disappointed but not surprised. Ruby doesn't do anything unless she gets paid for it and a red carpet thrown at her feet.

Reactions: 13
To be honest? I feel so sorry for hear.
First. I was so surprised doing the trip and in my head I said sorry to her b/c I never thought that she would really do it. She is so immature.. maybe even scarded in the UK doing something and then flying solo to the US? Big Kudos to her.
Like I said: I will not to any Diagnosis on her but for me it is clear that there is something off in her behaviour and with me as mentall ill person and my whole spectrum more on the anxiety side of the mental problems you can get - thats a huge step. A massive step. So I wanted to give her the Kudos.
Doing it. Doing it besides all the package she has to carry.

But.

Then she is in Boston. What did she do there? Oh yes. Hiding in her bedrom. And if not. Hiding in the garden (in this case a public one) and doing nothing really than reading poetry out loud.

What a dissapointment.
But. I was didn't want to be too hard for her b/c no one change behaviour in two days or so. But. It was so strange.
No Infos about the travel. No story. No information whatsoever. Even as she was in Boston she was more undercover then everything.

And then we have now this Emily-Stuff and its clear that she left her nursery only for a sponsored ad, something she did not organized, something she went not alone to, something she even did not marked as AD.

It is the same behaviour over and over and over and over.

Reactions: 12
I can believe that Ruby offered to make some posts about the museum and they said okay, but this grandiose claim that she's developing a whole social media strategy for them sounds wildly embellished. I'm sure she can "develop" anything she likes, but it doesn't mean they asked for it, will implement whatever she cooks up, or have any interest in it whatsoever (assuming she even follows through with it).

It's pretty exasperating that Ruby has embroidered all of this to sound not only girl-bossy but noble -- she'll promote the museum for free just because she thinks that Emily Dickinson's "voice should be heard and listened to." Oh really? Emily Dickinson hardly needs to be rescued from obscurity. She's one of the English language's most well known and beloved poets...ever. The museum is a major tourist attraction that just completed a large-scale restoration project, so they've got funds. It is owned by Amherst College and if they wanted some Gen Z social media savvy, I'm sure they'd open that opportunity up to Amherst students first. I can't believe they need free marketing help from some random, oddball influencer who just walked in the door one day and volunteered her services out of sheer passion for poetry. That's fantasyland.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Of COURSE the Emily Dickinson Museum is just a sponsorship. And I don't get why Ruby doesn't take her "volunteer" job more seriously and actually bother to double check her spelling and grammar. It's the professional thing to do when you're working at a historic landmark. If I were staff at the museum, I'd be embarrassed to have a spelling error like that because it reflects the quality of the staff and museum.

Reactions: 17
She’s bought her way into this as she has into everything else. I doubt they paid for her travel or three-week stay, so it’s likely she just showed up and made much of her social media following to get a freebie.

One of the things that most annoy me about her is that even when she ”acknowledges” her privilege, she never once mentions it’s because she has money. She’s ”lucky enough to have parents who love her,” not rich parents. She has ”a wonderful community” online who help her with ideas for her book and make her well-known enough to get constant freebies, but she’s very careful never to mention the money she makes off of her viewers and all the sponsorships she chases. She likes to pretend things just fall into her lap because she’s somehow cosmically deserving of them, never because of money.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
The 'developing a social media strategy' post makes it sound as though she's wandered in off the street and imposed herself on some bewildered museum staff. Ruby contacted her old school to ask if she could return to give a talk. I can imagine her doing something similar here - maybe emailing to request a volunteer position? But surely she doesn't have much to offer them? I don't see how she'd be able to 'develop a social media strategy' on behalf of the museum; I'm sure the staff are already competent and able to do this without any help.

Reactions: 12
Have read most of the RG threads and wanted to comment as someone who was super similar to Ruby at that age. I was a massive introvert with depression and anxiety in my twenties, had very low self esteem, I locked myself in my room at uni, and I had chances to do the lone travel stuff she’s doing now and found it hard because of my mental health. If I’d been a YouTuber people would have looked at me and gone “why is she going to the same restaurants / not leaving the hotel / not exploring” but you do the best you can with the feelings and things you’re dealing with. I hadn’t had the life experience to make use of my travelling in my 20s, we can all say I was too sheltered or too this or not enough that but you do your best when dealing with all kinds of things. solo travel is hard for even the most seasoned and confident travellers with no MH issues! I think Ruby is doing good for someone on their first big trip alone and I feel sorry for her as she can’t win on this forum. She Got criticised for not planning anything and then got criticised for planning to work with the Emily Dickinson museum. I get Ruby has done problematic things and that study tubers are inherently problematic because of the ideal they set for impressionable teens, but I also think we should cut her some slack over this trip as she is clearly young and learning

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Have read most of the RG threads and wanted to comment as someone who was super similar to Ruby at that age. I was a massive introvert with depression and anxiety in my twenties, had very low self esteem, I locked myself in my room at uni, and I had chances to do the lone travel stuff she’s doing now and found it hard because of my mental health. If I’d been a YouTuber people would have looked at me and gone “why is she going to the same restaurants / not leaving the hotel / not exploring” but you do the best you can with the feelings and things you’re dealing with. I hadn’t had the life experience to make use of my travelling in my 20s, we can all say I was too sheltered or too this or not enough that but you do your best when dealing with all kinds of things. solo travel is hard for even the most seasoned and confident travellers with no MH issues! I think Ruby is doing good for someone on their first big trip alone and I feel sorry for her as she can’t win on this forum. She Got criticised for not planning anything and then got criticised for planning to work with the Emily Dickinson museum. I get Ruby has done problematic things and that study tubers are inherently problematic because of the ideal they set for impressionable teens, but I also think we should cut her some slack over this trip as she is clearly young and learning
I understand what you're saying, but I'm just not super inclined to cut her a whole lot of slack because she's literally making money out of all of this. It's in her interest to downplay the money aspect and project an image of someone who is motivated by non-material things, "learning for the sake of learning", etc. She tells a whole lot of lies about who she is, and makes money off of it. She's admitted her mental health is shaky, but apparently not shaky enough to forgo being on social media and losing out of the income in order to take some time off to get better. A lot of people are or were introverts, a lot of us have struggled with MH issues, but she is not like most of us - she comes from massive financial privilege, which has also enabled her to pursue a social media career at a young age.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I think she's not been truthful from the start about the trip.
"Developing a social media strategy" is the job description of a social media consultant. I think from the very start this trip was about working for the museum, as a social media consultant, getting paid for it, and that's why she went to Boston.
It was too out of character for her to just go on holiday for three weeks alone in the States for no reason. She went because she had a work opportunity with the museum.

But why hasn't she said so? Of course she's not doing it "for kindness". Why would the museum allow her to if that's why she was doing it? She's doing it in the context of a consultancy agreement and she's obviously getting paid, at the very least her travel expenses, but probably a consultancy fee on top of that.

She's framed it from the start as a spontaneous trip to a city she's always wanted to see, then she got there and suddenly it's gonna be what, a three week long ad for the Emily Dickinson museum?
If I were her fans I'd feel tricked. I don't know why she couldn't be straightforward from the start.

Reactions: 13
I understand what you're saying, but I'm just not super inclined to cut her a whole lot of slack because she's literally making money out of all of this. It's in her interest to downplay the money aspect and project an image of someone who is motivated by non-material things, "learning for the sake of learning", etc. She tells a whole lot of lies about who she is, and makes money off of it. She's admitted her mental health is shaky, but apparently not shaky enough to forgo being on social media and losing out of the income in order to take some time off to get better. A lot of people are or were introverts, a lot of us have struggled with MH issues, but she is not like most of us - she comes from massive financial privilege, which has also enabled her to pursue a social media career at a young age.
Also, it’s so unhealthy that whatever Ruby does, people always defend her. She never seems to learn because she never really has to acknowledge that she makes mistakes. And yes, she’s young but she isn’t that young anymore - she’s closer to her mid-20s than her teens and again, it’s not healthy to allow her that excuse forever. Consciously or not, Ruby creates this child-like image because it allows her to get away with a hell of a lot, but the reality is it’s just getting odder and odder as she gets older.

Reactions: 21
Also, it’s so unhealthy that whatever Ruby does, people always defend her. She never seems to learn because she never really has to acknowledge that she makes mistakes. And yes, she’s young but she isn’t that young anymore - she’s closer to her mid-20s than her teens and again, it’s not healthy to allow her that excuse forever. Consciously or not, Ruby creates this child-like image because it allows her to get away with a hell of a lot, but the reality is it’s just getting odder and odder as she gets older.
So true. I think with someone like Ruby it’s very easy to conflate ‘young’ with ‘sheltered/immature’. She’s really not that young any more, I think she just lacks so many life experiences compared to most people her age that we often see her as being younger than she is because of the way she acts and dresses.

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.