Ruby Granger #33 Goes on a boat, dresses like Captain Birdseye

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It feels like heresy to disagree with gossip guy on this thread, but I find that in a lot of your comments you present things as facts when we don't actually know for sure if they are 😅 first of all, I imagine she's probably going to make at least one vlog about this trip so she might have visited places that she hasn't shown on insta. Secondly, her trip isn't over yet- isn't she supposed to be there for 3 weeks? It would be exhausting to visit loads of places every day for 3 weeks, surely it's a good idea to explore your immediate surroundings a bit first, especially if you're travelling internationally by yourself for the first time?

Before people get angry, I'm pretty ambivalent about Ruby, I just share my honest opinions and sometimes they happen to be in defence of her 🤷
Not really related to what you said but I actually think this is one of the nicest and most friendly threads that exists on tattle 😅! People always disagree with each other so respectfully compared to some of the other threads I go on here, on certain threads THE bleeping TIKTOK THREADS if you disagree with the general vibe of the thread you will be piled on so badly😂.

Reactions: 15
I prefer cold weather as well but her romanticising makes her sound like someone who has never been actually cold once in her life. The fact that they choose not to heat their enormous country manor doesn't mean they can't. She has no sense of despair at the thought of not being able to turn on the heating.

I don't mind the concept of romanticising your life, if it helps you get through the crappy days or helps you cope with hard times, by all means arrange your dinner table like a picture or see your surroundings in a different light. But when it comes from Miss Freebie Privilege, I truly could do without her wistful speeches about how life is just one cup of excellent tea waiting to be savoured by us, if only we could see the joy in it. Just stfu.

Reactions: 25
You didn't even make it to the tapping? What a loss. 😝
I did make it to "Sudden Lee there came a tapping", so however many seconds that is :D I can't stand the head-shaking and stupid sing-song voice that seems to be her idea of "reciting poetry", someone tell her just because there's rhyme and meter doesn't mean she needs to turn it into a cringy kindergarten recital, it's not endearing or cute when a grown-ass adult woman does it.

Reactions: 11
I prefer cold weather as well but her romanticising makes her sound like someone who has never been actually cold once in her life. The fact that they choose not to heat their enormous country manor doesn't mean they can't. She has no sense of despair at the thought of not being able to turn on the heating.
Wait, has she actually said that they don't heat their home? At all? As if that makes it ok for her to wish for winter to come sooner while we head into an energy crisis? I bet she's not counting water heating as "heating" her home. I doubt she's taking freezing cold showers in the winter. Do they light wood fires? Why are they so ridiculously anachronistic just for the sake of it.

Reactions: 1
Imo staying for three weeks alone anywhere is a recipe for disaster. Especially if you're a person like Ruby who is not very independent and doesn't like to socialize. And in my opinion staying in a city is not like spending a holiday at the seaside that's meant to be relaxing and you can just lie on the beach and take in a beautiful atmosphere. Cities are beautiful but you gotta go out there and see the sights otherwise you're just staying cooped up in a hotel in a urban area doing things you could have done at home. If you're on your own too it gets boring real fast.

I feel like she hit a new low yesterday. Dressing up as Coraline just to sit in a hotel room by yourself is the saddest way to spend Halloween. And this is coming from someone who spent Halloween watching tv with my family lol.

And I'm sure she'll do something more in the next two weeks but imo it's better to explore a city when you first arrive there, in the first week or so, and then if anything spend the last few days before you leave relaxing, maybe in some of the spots you discovered while exploring.

I'm surprised she didn't plan her holiday better. Did no one tell her that three weeks alone in a city on the other side of the world are too much and that it was better to start with maybe a week somewhere closer to home?

Reactions: 19
Imo staying for three weeks alone anywhere is a recipe for disaster. Especially if you're a person like Ruby who is not very independent and doesn't like to socialize. And in my opinion staying in a city is not like spending a holiday at the seaside that's meant to be relaxing and you can just lie on the beach and take in a beautiful atmosphere. Cities are beautiful but you gotta go out there and see the sights otherwise you're just staying cooped up in a hotel in a urban area doing things you could have done at home. If you're on your own too it gets boring real fast.

I feel like she hit a new low yesterday. Dressing up as Coraline just to sit in a hotel room by yourself is the saddest way to spend Halloween. And this is coming from someone who spent Halloween watching tv with my family lol.

And I'm sure she'll do something more in the next two weeks but imo it's better to explore a city when you first arrive there, in the first week or so, and then if anything spend the last few days before you leave relaxing, maybe in some of the spots you discovered while exploring.

I'm surprised she didn't plan her holiday better. Did no one tell her that three weeks alone in a city on the other side of the world are too much and that it was better to start with maybe a week somewhere closer to home?
I don't get why she can't get on a train and go somewhere like New York or Harvard or Yale whilst she is there, see SOMETHING to justify the airfare. If I was going all that way I'd make it count.

Reactions: 17
This must be the hardest thing when you are friends with Ruby: She has always to read to you or recite poetry to you. And you have like it.
I would go mad.

Reactions: 7
I don't get why she can't get on a train and go somewhere like New York or Harvard or Yale whilst she is there, see SOMETHING to justify the airfare. If I was going all that way I'd make it count.
Ruby doesn't even like cities. She has always said she loves the countryside and didn't choose a London university because it was too much of an urban environment and she prefers smaller cities. I don't know why she chose to spend three weeks in a city of all places

Reactions: 8

Yeah, if she's insistent on basing a holiday around her fake bookworm thing, she could've take a week and travelled to Hay-on-Wye and stopped off in Stratford, Bath and other places inbetween, see the general sights, do the literary tourism thing and visit a tonne of bookshops while getting the opportunity to see lots of scenic countryside. Maybe head up north to Haworth for the weekend and see the Bronte sisters landmarks to cap it off. The "I saw x amount of cities in 7 days" clickbait "I JANUINELY did more than you!" titles that she loves to use write themselves.

It wouldn't have cost her 4 grand, and she'd be close enough to home and familiar comforts that she might be emboldened enough to branch out and explore more and not just barricade herself in her room, then there's room to travel overseas to explore further next time.

I still doubt she'd actually enjoy it given she clearly has no interest in reading and literature or seemingly anything at all, but there'd be enough variety of content for a few vlogs and she'd get to act like she was VARRY BUSY AND PRODOCKTIVE.

Instead, she's offered up another holiday that looks profoundly dull and doesn't seem to be getting any better, and the closest to a literary adventure she's experienced is re-enacting Stephen King's 1408 and losing what's left of her mind in a hotel room she apparently can't escape from.

I'm still wondering who she met up with in Boston. She seems to be staying at a hotel/B&B on her own (i.e. not in someone's house), but there was clearly another person taking the pics and Ruby talked about 'we'. This trip is so mysterious lol.
Yeah, she seems to be staying somewhere on her own. About the pics, I'm kinda convinced that one photo was possibly taken by another person (who might be just a passerby that happened to know her) as she strolled around the city, given that she was literally met by someone as I read the commentary on that post; or maybe she just left her camera rested on something nearby while taking that shot (or maybe she brought a tripod with her, a light one ideal for a trip). Well, these are all just pure speculations we have here. 😅 I'm assuming we're reading the same page, though might be ambiguous but I think the line that includes 'we' is just a general statement about music switched right after.

Reactions: 1
Wait, has she actually said that they don't heat their home? At all? As if that makes it ok for her to wish for winter to come sooner while we head into an energy crisis? I bet she's not counting water heating as "heating" her home. I doubt she's taking freezing cold showers in the winter. Do they light wood fires? Why are they so ridiculously anachronistic just for the sake of it.
No, that's my assumption, as Ruby loves to show herself wrapped up in layers of blankets and sitting by the kitchen fire like some orphaned scullery maid. Then again, nobody else in their house is dressed in thin summer clothes during winter so it may just be her.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Okay, as a native of the Boston area, I will graciously help Ruby out with things that you can still do in Boston.
This is one time I hope Ruby does read this thread -- maybe she'll feel inspired! Some of the comments here have made poor old Beantown sound like a gloomy backwater that's already boarded up for the winter and menaced by roving gangs of looters and rapists. If that's what Ruby's been reading, it's little wonder she's afraid to venture further than the park across the street! :p

Though no matter how many attractions a place has, three weeks in the same city is an awful lot of time (assuming we know for a fact that she's there for three weeks). And few people really enjoy traveling alone: it requires an independent and adventurous spirit that's adept at managing anxiety, loneliness, and the logistics of travel planning. It can be really pleasant in short bouts and some vacations (like a retreat) are actually better appreciated without the distraction of a companion. But this solo Boston trip (during a raucous, party-in-the-streets holiday like Halloween, nonetheless) doesn't sound like any sort of fun, especially to someone with Ruby's temperament.

In contrast, I found her videos for Visit Scotland very effective as a marketing tool...they actually made me want to visit Scotland! The charms of Edinburgh, the hotels, and the surrounding countryside were so compelling that they shone through her shoddy video and editing skills. If the place could look that good with such little effort put into making it look good, it must be exquisite in real life! And that was a case where her hanging around in the hotel actually worked because the hotel was delightful and cozy, and I love the sort of vacation where you can take a break from sightseeing and just spend an afternoon in front of the fire. Her accommodations in Boston look student hostel-grade, i.e. just a no-frills place to sleep and stow your luggage. Fortunately the Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau does not seem to have paid her for this trip!

ETA: How are you all seeing her reading The Raven? I've got her on YouTube reading The TellTale Heart!

Reactions: 11
No, that's my assumption, as Ruby loves to show herself wrapped up in layers of blankets and sitting by the kitchen fire like some orphaned scullery maid. Then again, nobody else in their house is dressed in thin summer clothes during winter so it may just be her.

• Haha
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
If I were in Boston during Halloween, I'd try to make the most out of the touristy stuff in Salem 😂 There are some cool museums all around her atm, I don't know how she's choosing to spend her time but I hope she's doing stuff rather than just making herself comfortable in a hotel room. I enjoy traveling alone, I think it's really liberating to do exactly what you want, whether it's just wandering around the neighborhood or following your niche interests that might be boring to others. If Ruby is using this trio to push her comfort zone, good for her. Otherwise it's money well wasted.

Why is she reciting it like she’s doing slam poetry 😂. Also mfs who write hallowe’en instead of halloween = try hards
I especially like how she gave up after 3 stanzas, possibly because the owner of the building was getting complaints about some British clown losing her mind. Sadly/thankfully we didn't get to hear her say, "Qwyoth the Ray-van: NAVVAR MWOAR!"

Ruby: (Keeps glancing down below the camera to read from a script.)
Commenters: "HOW DID YOU MEMORISE ALL THAT?!"
I wonder... 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 13
If I were in Boston during Halloween, I'd try to make the most out of the touristy stuff in Salem 😂 There are some cool museums all around her atm, I don't know how she's choosing to spend her time but I hope she's doing stuff rather than just making herself comfortable in a hotel room. I enjoy traveling alone, I think it's really liberating to do exactly what you want, whether it's just wandering around the neighborhood or following your niche interests that might be boring to others. If Ruby is using this trio to push her comfort zone, good for her. Otherwise it's money well wasted.
The Salem idea is so good, so much famous literature based off the events of the witch trials ( eg: the crucible by Arthur Miller) There is also a new book out which has great reviews : The ruin of all witches....

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.