Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
The statement that she loves talking about Dickinson with friends but not with her online viewers is just mean. Especially when she's gone all the way to the museum and volunteered for them. I don't see what harm it would have done to say that she likes the style of poetry, or the themes she wrote about, or just the mythology around Dickinson. I leant little from her videos, I had no idea who Austin or Sue were, or what the significance of Amherst was, and am no more inclined to read any of her poems now than I was before.
You can also talk about the emotional aspect of poetry and literature without having to share private things about yourself. People do it all the time. You can appreciate the way someone writes about idk trauma or loneliness without actually experiencing it yourself and having to share your own experiences.
It was definitely an excuse. I don't think she has an articulated opinion about her poetry at all.
I think she likes the kind of lifestyle Emily Dickinson lived and who she was as a person rather than her poetry. I don't recall her ever talking about her poetry or sharing her favourite poems from her.

Reactions: 26

Whisper2Me

wtf is she doing slamming her hand down while reading? Does she think that produces an effectual spooky, foreboding atmosphere? It felt more like she was Hitler having a mental breakdown. omg The freckles are too much. She dressed up, did her face as though she has smallpox, and then just huddled in her room. Did she think everyone would be running around the streets in Boston with costumes on and adults would be trick or treating? Girl....you are so clueless. What a waste of time. I feel like I am watching her unravel, yet again. Our English professors would freak out if they saw her "narrate" Poe like that. What a menace. I can't wait until she leaves our shores.

• Haha

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
Sorry if this has been posted but I found it interesting, I think it shows she doesn’t really know what’s happening, anyone could say “wow that’s awful what happened” it’s hardly offering a keen political insight
"The government is failing to recognize people as people and grant people basic human dignity", what is she talking about exactly? Is she referring to something specific going on in the UK atm, or is this as vague and generic and meaningless as it sounds to me?

ETA: also, not to get political here, but it's pretty common for people of a certain demographic to claim to vote leftist parties when it comes to social matters and human rights because it's trendy and makes them look good, but as soon as their wealth or profit is on the line, because they are being taxed more or they have to treat their workers better, then they sing a very different tune. Note that Ruby exclusively made very vague but progressive-sounding statements about basic human rights as if that's all there is to say about her political ideas.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Lovely_rita

I wonder if Ruby is having an identity crisis since joining uni. All her life she has thought of herself, with encouragement from those around her, that she is this genius, born in the wrong era.

She must have thought she was so special. Then off she goes to uni and she is surrounded by peers who are just as clever as she is. If not more. With the bonus of actual life experience, so they have street smarts, interesting anecdotes and a sense of independence.

It must have knocked Ruby for six. A real ego crush to find that in the real world she really isn't THAT intelligent, creative and mysterious. Hence why she kept running home to her parents. They keep her in that "you're so special and need looking after" bubble. I almost feel sorry for her.

That could be why she seems desperately trying to stay school aged, and playing up the 'tortured genius' act. Lately she is acting so strangely, she seems heading for a nervous breakdown.

• Sad

gossip_guy

VIP Member
Anyone can be a writer? You just have to write. Whether you publish independently or through an agency you are a writer. Does she equate writer to being well known like the classic writers were?
Yeah, I've said it before, but this is one of the few occasions where Ruby should give herself more credit. She is a writer. She wrote and published a book. Sure, she's a terrible writer, and it was a terrible book, and the plot was borrowed from a dozen middle-grade bullying books, but nobody can wade through Erimentha Parker and not think, "Yep, Ruby wrote this alright."

But Ruby invalidated that achievement for herself; she's now not a writer unless Penguin Publishing are giving her a £1,000,000 book deal. In Ruby's eyes, you're not a writer if you do it for the pure enjoyment of it. You're not a writer if you self-publish. You're only a writer if you're getting huge amounts of money and fame from your writing and did it via traditional publishing. It's a shitty lesson to learn for herself or to try to teach to others.

All it does is show how fake her interest in writing actually is. She doesn't enjoy it. She doesn't want to be a writer. She just wants to get rich(er) and famous and picked what she saw as the easiest route that fit her fake bookworm persona. This is her new Oxford; she doesn't care about or enjoy learning or writing, she just sees Oxford/a big publishing deal from a trad publisher to be the height of prestige in their fields - the big gold star to show she's better than everyone. She's living in a fantasy world.

I haven't watched the new video yet, but it says so much that when she's talked about wanting to be a writer before, she kept name-dropping Stephen King (one of the richest, most broadly and commercially successful authors, whose work Ruby doesn't read) and not her "favourite" authors like AMMILY DICKINSON or NA-THAYN-YAL HWARRTHORNE.

DanBanks

I can believe that Ruby offered to make some posts about the museum and they said okay, but this grandiose claim that she's developing a whole social media strategy for them sounds wildly embellished. I'm sure she can "develop" anything she likes, but it doesn't mean they asked for it, will implement whatever she cooks up, or have any interest in it whatsoever (assuming she even follows through with it).

It's pretty exasperating that Ruby has embroidered all of this to sound not only girl-bossy but noble -- she'll promote the museum for free just because she thinks that Emily Dickinson's "voice should be heard and listened to." Oh really? Emily Dickinson hardly needs to be rescued from obscurity. She's one of the English language's most well known and beloved poets...ever. The museum is a major tourist attraction that just completed a large-scale restoration project, so they've got funds. It is owned by Amherst College and if they wanted some Gen Z social media savvy, I'm sure they'd open that opportunity up to Amherst students first. I can't believe they need free marketing help from some random, oddball influencer who just walked in the door one day and volunteered her services out of sheer passion for poetry. That's fantasyland.

• Heart

otravlen

Ruby isn't hurting anyone guys! Everyone is just a big mean bully!! /s
(From her most recent tiktok)
Screenshot_20221030-011303.png

• Haha

Whisper2Me

So basically, this isn't a vacation or a trip to travel solitary and have adventures, tour with groups, and maybe even make a new friend or two. It is a paid promotion and a 3 week ad. Just lost complete interest. She is living like a complete hermit in a foreign country and doing everything possible to avoid socializing. No thank you. Not interested in spoiled brats that never grow up into mature, responsible adults.

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
What the hell is she playing at? This is extremely strange behaviour.

Such a bad idea, you have no idea who is on the other side of the screen and what's to say they won't contact her again? "Hi Ruby 🥺 I know you gave me £100 a few months ago, but I now have £5 in my account 🥺 and the twins need new shoes 🥺."

• Haha

Deeznutslol

VIP Member

I might be over-analysing but the “we’ve had” definitely suggests she isn’t alone In Boston. So the question is, did she go with someone or meet someone there…?
Probs gone to meet some 16 year old yank she got to know online tbh.

• Haha

Red Wings

Okay, as a native of the Boston area, I will graciously help Ruby out with things that you can still do in Boston. As stated, you have museums like the MFA (Green, E line - MFA stop), the Harvard Museum of Natural History and their various art/ethnic museums that you get in (Red Line, Harvard Stop), the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum (very walkable from MFA, but Green, E Line, Longwood Medical Area is technically the closest stop), if you like contemporary art, there is the ICA near South Station, Red Line, plus a whole host of small modern art pop ups across the metro Boston area. Further out, I really enjoyed the Peabody Essex museum (closest stop is Salem on the Commuter Rail Newburyport Line).

Like gothic architecture? Then hit up the Boston Public Library at Copley Square (Green Line, any line, Copley), and go through the main entrance and enjoy the dark academic vibes and massive murals made by John Singer Sargent who I'm sure Ruby totally knows about. ;) Then enjoy walking by (maybe into?) Trinity Church across the square and head up Newbury/Marlborough Street and enjoy the Back Bay architecture and all the cute little (expensive) stores. If you time it right, one of the churches might be offering a free, or very cheap concert, and those spaces are always beautiful. If you can extend this, you could walk into Beacon Hill and find all the hidden stores and parks there. I always find something new there. Then you can enter the Massachusetts State House (both old and new), it's great to explore there. And of course, Harvard. They have the cutest (pricey) damn dorm houses too when near the school. Looks like little cottages. If you go West of Harvard, you also get to enjoy those classic brick streets, and peep into some parks up there. Counter to what some posters said, it's actually pretty easy to get into Harvard buildings, and Ruby could likely easily enter some common spaces in Harvard/MIT/BC/NEU. Or you could just stand outside one and hope someone mistakes you for a student and lets you in, heh.

I will take this paragraph to plug in a few more local bookshops: the Commonwealth Bookshop right down the alley from State Street Station (Orange Line), the Brookline Booksmith, Harvard/MIT COOPs, Raven Used Book, Bryn Mawr Book Store, the Anarachist Bookstore (a bookstore run on anarachist principles), etc etc etc Boston have an AMAZING selection of small, independent bookstores.

If you like urban nature, I cannot stress enough to visit the Emerald Necklace parks made by famous landscape architect Fredrick Law Olmsted (the creator of Central Park in NYC). These follow the Muddy River and if you have the energy to walk 15 miles (I did do this once), almost all of them can be walked. If not, they are along the Green Line, primarily D and E, stops. And yes, the Green Line was named for the Emerald Necklace. This covers the Muddy River, Ward, Willow, and Leverett Ponds, and the huge Jamaica Pond. The last bits are the Arnold Arboretum (Orange Line, Forest Hills), and Franklin Park which you'd need to bus or take an uber to, but I highly recommend if not for the abandoned, early 20th century bear cages. Then you have Harvard Yahd, the Boston Boardwalks, the Boston Islands are really nice, but might be chilly at this time. Will shout out the popular George's Island for its Civil War fort (that was really more of a military prison) that you can explore.

Boston also have a rich history of the Black, Abolitionist movement, Japanese cultural exchange, among others, but Ruby probably doesn't care about that.

Honestly, it's really baffling that Ruby hasn't hit on anything else. Like at this point it's more a matter of looking at your environment than having to go anywhere. Like Ruby has to have her eyes down, on her phone, the entire time to miss all this especially since stuff like Back Bay and Beacon Hill are stone's throw from where she is staying.

• Heart

pineapplesandcheese

View attachment 1705905

Ruby hates spending money on things full stop 😂 I remember in one of her first year university blogs, she put 50p in the wrong tumble dryer and seemed disproportionately put out by it. Daddy Bones probably paid for the hotel in exchange for getting her out of the family home for a few weeks.
In my experience, rich people are far more reluctant to spend money. I have a friend whose parents literally own 2 houses and when we were at a christmas market once she bought me a 50 p doughnut and then immediately sent me her bank details. Whereas my friends who aren't well off will buy me a £1 drink and not demand immediate repayment

• Wow
  • Haha

berkeleymoon87

I am still genuinely really confused by this whole thing. It's not an AD, but would anyone else just get this access and welcoming by just emailing the museum and asking? Did they contact her or did she contact them? Who recorded her? Why is the museum allowing a YouTuber from England to come up with a social media strategy (for free) for a museum in the US for an American writer? Did she give them a donation?

• Heart

Whisper2Me

Her life is going to be so phony, in everything she does. She will never know what it means to be original, spontaneous, or authentic. She will always be playing parts, always be lacking her own individual personality, always searching, always buying her way into things. Seriously. Think about that. Would you want her life? I know I would not. The best things that have happened to me were not planned out, paid for, scheduled or put on social media. They were private moments between me and others, they were accomplishments that made me feel so good, I had no need to share or advertise them, they were not staged and never needed any validation from anyone, especially a bunch of strangers on the internet. Think of how empty her life really is. It is beyond pathetic.

• Sad
Reactions: 25

Whisper2Me

It got worse.

View attachment 1736844

Ruby: "It's not an ad, JANUINELY! I just want to spread the love and awareness of Ammily Dickensun!"
Commenter: "Cool! Can you make us aware of what you love about her?"
Ruby: "No. It's a secret."
Commenter: "Wait, what?"
Ruby: "I can't talk about it online. It's not the right place."
Commenter: "But...this is the comments section of a video you uploaded to talk about Emily Dickinson, and you're an online influencer - that's the exact right place!"
Ruby: "It's not the right medium."
Commenter: "Wait, I thought you were a life-long lover of academia and an aspiring writer? How is the written word not the right medium to talk about your favourite writer?!"
Ruby: "Mummy, someone's bullying me again!"
In other words, she realizes everyone else knows more about Emily Dickinson than she does, that there are loads of fans and scholars of Dickinson that could talk her into a hole and bury her with their knowledge in comparison to her. Yes, lots of people are smarter than you, Rubes. Get used to it. You will experience it more, the older you get, the longer you hide in your home. Even a trip abroad taking selfies and musing in meadows isn't going to educate you on how to become an expert on anything. Jack of All Trades, Mistress of None. Maybe she can "pretend" she is a scholar when she gets back home and cowers in her hovel of a room.

gossip_guy

VIP Member
Speaking of desperate denial, protest and lies, she starts the video with the Ruby classic cliché: "HONNASTLY, this HAS been a point of pilgrimage for me!"

Remember, kids: If Ruby says "HONNASTLY", "JANNUINELY", "OIY PROMMASE YOO" or "OIY'M NYOT LOIYING WHAN OIY SAY...", then you can bet your bottom dollar that she's lying her ass off. She doesn't love AMMILY DICKINSUN any more than she loves literature in general.

Has she ever once mentioned why she supposedly loves AMMILY DICKINSUN, what she loves about her writing, or talked about her work in anything other than the most superficial, aesthetic "HAHHR HANDWROTING HAD LYOTS OF DASHES!" sense? Hmm.

But it must be nice to be able to waste £4,000+ on yet another dull, pointless holiday centred around your fake interests.

This whole video is yet another parade of stupidity, incompetence, privilege and staged lies.

Untitle79898]d.png

Self-proclaimed gifted child, life-long learner and pursuer of wisdom Ruby still can't figure out how capital letters work and just tries them a new way in every video title.

She also still can't figure out how 95% of the English language works. Apparently "vlog" = "flog", "young" = "yonng", "Tuesday" = "CHEESEday", "project" = "PRODJACKT", "world" = "WHARHLDD", "direction" = "darrackshun", "desk" = "DASK", "guest" = "GHAST", "best" = "burst", "Ralph Waldo Emerson" = "RALFWHORLDYO Ammersun", "Austin" = "Arse-tin", "Mabel Loomis Todd" = "MAYBOORLYUMISS TARD", "niece" = "KNEES", "epicentre" = "AH-pee-santa" and "bureau" = "bwurrow".

She's trying harder than ever to sound intelligent and cultured with her faker-than-fake Emma Watson accent, but everything she says is hilariously stupid, if not entirely nonsensical, full of incoherence, malapropisms (she describes a room as "lucratively decorated" and says "digitalised" instead of "digitised") and redundancies ("cohrrently this area is clyosed at the myoment". Always a great start for a video intended to professionally advertise something.

Once again, Ruby visits somewhere interesting but makes it look as dull as dishwater and refuses to let any of the professional experts speak on camera because Ruby's narcissistic ego won't ever let her show someone else knowing more than her.

When getting a tour of the grounds by someone whose job it is to know all about the place, Ruby mutes the audio and just parrots everything the experts told her in narration, just like she did on the BARD 'N' BLAND tour, to make it sound like Ruby's the imparter of knowledge.

Ruby also made sure to set up the camera and wildly and dramatically wave her hands about when talking to the tour guide (who, judging by the body language, already appears absolutely done with Ruby's shit after knowing her for 5 minutes), attempting to give the visual impression that Ruby was the one giving the tour.

After that, Ruby just straight-up takes over and starts giving the tour herself for some reason.

She gets the poor museum professional to hold the camera while she slowly and awkwardly lumbers around around like a dead-eyed, soulless robot, giving her usual, unconvincing 'stare at everything in fake wonder' performance.

f60c9cbabe813c95e3c5b7099c72984df65f35e0&rid=giphy.gif

b55d5be5a712190ce3b2e6d95d1dbc9ff15c1b39&rid=giphy.gif

13222561ad605ead15a020e8f8c9f5d5fd68d263&rid=giphy.gif

This is, Ruby claims, the place she's wanted to visit since she was 12. A "place of pilgrimage". And yet she can't even muster a moment's genuine enthusiasm or interest. She's just joylessly and robotically pacing around like a merciless Terminator programmed to hunt down charity money to keep for herself.

4d18c6fc37b6bc0f4a0e1035fe388f2399b01d05&rid=giphy.gif

Yes, this is definitely how normal human beings look at things that interest them...

While she's in the library, she engages in one of her favourite pastimes: Reaching for things on high shelves to appear more childlike.

Untitle74549898]d.png

image (1) copy.png

Inbetween bouts of stalking around like Frankenstein's monster and pretending to be a child, she starts reciting factoids about the house with her usual charisma-free, obnoxious "OIY'M GIVING A VARRY ADJOOKAYSHANUL PRESANTAYSHON" tone and the same overdramatic limb-flailing as before.

91baecab5ef7809a209b64de82c5d691bb0e4072&rid=giphy.gif

Ruby sets the record straight about AMMILY DICKINSUN: "We have this image of HAAHR beingg a socklyooded poet ONYLEE in hahr ryoom," Ruby says, "BOHT!" she also left her room and interacted with other people or eavesdropped on conversations! "She KNEW what was going on!"

"It feels like thaahr's a prassance - thahrr are ghyosts hyahhr."

Yes, Ruby, the ghost of Emily Dickinson is there and she would love for you to get the fuck out of her house.

Ruby agitatedly moans that there were many workers and kitchen staff who worked at the Dickinson house and so many stories that people neglect to tell - it's impworetant that we tal these stwories! And then Ruby cuts to a new day without telling any of those stories.

It's shoddily and lazily tossed together in the same way all Ruby's videos are. The audio's as awful as ever, narration is chopped and clipped terribly, cut too early or running into the next sentence. Middle sections of sentences are awkwardly cut, leaving abrupt and sloppy jump-cuts. Source audio is terrible - Ruby could waste £4,000 on a one big performative trip devoted to her fake bookworm persona, but she couldn't spend £50 on a lavalier mic or a few quid on a windscreen even though filmmaking is her primary source of income.

Half the audio is echoey as fuck or drowned out by wind and ambient background noise, the rest is full of Ruby's usual incompetence and incoherent, sped-up, fake accent. Huge sections of footage are recycled from her last video.

Ruby often complains about suffering from perfectionism, but that lie is never more hilarious than when every single video is full of lazy ineptitude of staggering proportions.

Untitle7478989549980980898]d.jpg

All the usual, transparent lies rear their heads. Ruby shoehorns in an ad for the PONKY PLODDITY PLANNAH and includes a note that "as per usual", she used this to plan her day. Only she clearly never uses it. It looks pristine and unused, and the previous day is conspicuously blank, despite being her first full day in Amherst and apparently full of events and activities to plan. She just needed to pretend she uses this cheap and shitty waste of money because she's got another one coming out in a few weeks and is back on the grift.

It's presented as a weekly vlog but it's exclusively an ad for the museum. As an introduction to Emily Dickinson, it's useless; Ruby doesn't even say who the fuck Emily is for the unfamiliar. And even if you know who Emily is, you might not know about her family or her life. Ruby introduces none of it, and just starts talking about "SYUE", "LAVINIAHHHR", "ADDWAHD'S DASK", and so on. She describes Mabel Loomis Todd as "a controvarrshal figure" and says nothing more. Who is this video for? If you know nothing about Emily Dickinson, it tells you nothing. If you know anything about Emily Dickinson, you already know more than Ruby.

As an ad for the museum, it's just as bad. She makes it look incredibly dull, does a terrible job at showcasing the buildings and features. Ruby says certain things are closed, but doesn't mention when visitors will be able to see them reopen. She again brags that she had a session writing in Emily's bedroom but doesn't specify that general visitors can do this, too, if they pay $200 (undoubtedly because it'd make it clear that Ruby got a $200 session, among other things, as a gift in exchange for advertising the museum).

As a vlog depicting a week in Ruby's life, it's just as worthless because it's full of all the same lies, omissions and her "...AND THAN OIY..." off-screen, fabricated accomplishments - she did hours and hours of tireless work, meticulous editing and wrote books and journaled, etc.. She claims she spent her whole week working with/for the museum, but there's no real evidence of any actual work. She certainly didn't do the same work expected of other volunteers - gardening, weeding, manual labour, setting up arts and crafts, or preparing for visitors and tours.

Untitle74789567560898]d.jpg

She says she was there to plan and implement a social media strategy, but she seems to have done nothing beyond suggest that the museum create a TikTok account. Y'know, painfully obvious advice that any business or public-facing place would already be aware of. She also claims to have filmed and edited 2 months of videos for TikTok to be uploaded, but is seems like the rest of the staff did almost all the filming and presenting themselves.

What did Ruby actually do, besides just get free VIP tours and vlog them for her own channel, then guest-post a couple of half-assed posts full of errors on the museum's social media? Edited a few of the museum's incredibly short TikToks for them, with her own amateurish brand of incompetence?

What qualifications or experience does Ruby have to be given this opportunity? She can't convince 300 of her followers to buy a washi tape from her, she's had to buy her way to success on TikTok, and the technical quality of her videos are universally terrible. No other volunteer would've been allowed to do this, especially with this damning body of shoddy work. Ruby has zero talent or ability, but she has a lot of followers. It seems painfully clear that this was an ad opportunity like any other.

Ruby no doubt reached out to the museum, leveraged her follower count and said "Hey, let me come tour everything and I can film it for my 700,000 followers! I can post on your social media too and boost your following!" and has spun this advertisement collab as volunteer work without clarifying what she got for free.

This is a weekly vlog, apparently, so I don't know why you'd avoid showing the most interesting parts of that week where she interacted with other human beings, did interesting things and accomplished impressive stuff, unless (like with Ruby never showing what she does with PONKIN' PODTIVTEA because she has no involvement with the company) you were conspicuously avoiding showing any work because none happened and you were just an influencer guest exclusively granted access there to advertise things.

• Haha
  • Heart