Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

StatusWoe

VIP Member
I am so intrigued with why she’s being so cagey about this trip. She’s only sharing snippets on TikTok, not Instagram (where she’s sharing posts about climate change as if she isn’t on her fourth (fifth?) foreign holiday this year …) and she hasn’t even blogged about packing or preparing for this trip, despite mentioning it previously. Good for Ruby if she’s pulling back a bit from social media but it does seem odd.
Yes it's mysterious. If she wanted to keep the trip secret it would be easy to avoid mentioning it. Ruby hasn't done that, so it feels even stranger. Maybe she did go with her parents after all?

Maybe Daddy Bones is on the run from the law? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 24

gossip_guy

VIP Member
@gossip_guy Roobee should hire you. At least her videos would be nicely edited and they would be funny, which would be two enormous improvements to the messy, boring and borderline creepy stuff she's sharing now.
I don't think even competent editing would make her videos watchable at this point, it'd just make it less embarrassing when she makes a paid, sponsored video full of laziness and errors.

If she had any trace of self-awareness and was willing to poke fun at herself, that'd be a start, but she's entirely self-serious for how ridiculous she is. I think that's why her TikTok videos feel especially bizarre: She has no sense of humour, so when she keeps trying to recreate TikTok memes, she just comes off like a malfunctioning Victorian animatronic that museums scrapped for being too scary to show to children.

The only fun of watching her content now is poking holes in the lies and roasting the bizarre incompetence. Ruby would never allow someone to put an active lie counter or outfit change counter on-screen.

Untit80980l657566568586747564564567876575675668776ed.jpg

Oh look, no Vlogmas again this year. It's "so stressful" that Ruby will never do it again. Apparently she's done it twice before years ago, but near as I can see she skipped multiple days and then gave up early on, so she's applying the same logic to "completing" Vlogmas as she does to reading books.

So her book club was apparently too stressful for her, so she bailed. All she had to do was read one book a month and talk about it once a month. She claims to read hundreds of books a year. It should have been easy.

Now Vlogmas is too stressful. All she has to do is film and edit 10 minutes of footage a day in December of things she'll be doing anyway. She puts the bare minimum of effort and time into editing. She has no responsibilities or work. She has nothing but free time. This should be a cakewalk.

Imagine saying with a straight face that being paid ridiculous amounts to do almost nothing a few times a month is "too stressful". Imagine saying that after all the times she's claimed that none of her fabricated accomplishments feel like work because she enjoys them all.

Ruby, it's okay to say "I bailed on my book club because I realised after one Zoom call that I wasn't the smartest person there". It's okay to say "I don't want to do Vlogmas because all my daily videos are stitched together from many days of footage to make them seem busy and productive, and I can't do that with Vlogmas because it's too much work". You can say "I'm too lazy and don't want to do anything". Honesty is an option. And if it's JANUINELY too stressful to put in less than the bare minimum required to be a YouTube content creator, then that's as good a sign as any that it's time to retire from the internet.

If she thinks one monthly, low-effort obligation a month doing something she claims she loves is too damaging to her mental health, or 10 minutes of "work" a day is too much stress, she will never survive in a real job.

Griftwood

VIP Member
Unironically though - I got the warm fuzzies when she got invited for dinner by someone who presumably works at the museum. It’s the embodiment of American hospitality and friendliness (the very best thing about the US), and it must have felt very much like a warm hug to Roobee, because she’d have been so far out of her comfort zone for a couple weeks by the time this was filmed. (Disclaimer: if we find out later that Mummy Granger was hiding just out of the frame the whole time, everything I just said is rendered null and void and Rootytoot can crawl right back into the swamp whence she came.)

• Heart

Hannahebee

VIP Member
I have to say I found Ruby to be quite rude when she kept talking over Bella as she couldn't even say a sentence without Ruby coming in and interrupting her.

theMoth

Chatty Member
Ruby Granger #34 Betwixt! More rhetoric than truth, says the sparrow.

(I tried to put as many things in there as I could)

• Haha

mtess21

In this latest tiktok, she says that this teapot/diffuser thing brings her "extortionate amounts of joy"...
Another day, another malapropism from Roobert

• Haha
Reactions: 23

gossip_guy

VIP Member
I have asked her on youtube and she answered. I quotet @berkeleymoon87 b/c English is not my first languages and I found the question perfekt. Hope it was ok

View attachment 1726124
Yeahh, she's lying.

Notice how, despite her passive-aggressive video description full of protesting, she still doesn't clearly say "I paid for all tours and museum experiences featured on this video and nothing was gifted".

Untitle7478989549898]d.png

(From the ASA website.)

Ruby, if you were gifted things in exchange for advertising them on social media, then it's an ad. The museum do not allow this kind of access to just anyone. You were given special treatment, free tours and a free $200 writing session in Emily's bedroom in exchange for showing off the museum to your hundreds of thousands of followers. It's an ad. The fact that you're refusing to clarify that shows just how aware of that you are. You know the rules, you just keep intentionally breaking them.

This is no different from every other undeclared ad for snack bars and "RAMMADEE KYOMBYOOCHAS" that you keep proclaiming are your favourite in almost every single video while refusing to mention that they were gifted products. They're ads. You know that. Protesting and gaslighting does not make that any less of a fact.

• Heart

gossip_guy

VIP Member
Oh god

A ”trubbadore” 😂 Also, ”pensive” sounds suspiciously like ”pensieve” 👀
This is incredible. Every third word or more is mispronounced.

Also confirmation that she immediately bailed on "Gilmwoar Gharrls" considering she'd have learned how to pronounce "troubadour" in Season 1.

• Haha

DanBanks

I think Ruby is just canny enough to know that the person who asked her about Dickinson was trying to bait her into showing her ignorance. Look at the way the question is phrased, especially that "Could you elaborate?" at the end. This commenter was not there to have a pleasant chat about poetry with Ruby, they were grilling her to prove a point.

I saw the exact same thing happen during the 2016 U.S. presidential campaign when a reporter asked Trump for his favorite passage of scripture. The reporter knew full well that Trump had never opened a Bible in his life and wouldn't be able to answer, and Trump knew that he was being baited with that question. So his answer was almost identical to Ruby's: the Bible was just so personal to him that he didn't want to name his favorite verse in public.

I'm not sticking up for Ruby here (or Trump!). If Ruby was genuinely passionate about Dickinson and poetry, she would have been able to pour cold water all over the commenter's confrontational attitude by answering at length and with enthusiasm. But I can't pretend that the person who asked that question, or its follow-up, was just a Ruby fan who was intellectually curious about Ruby's thoughts on Dickinson. Whoever posted those questions obviously had an agenda, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were someone who reads or participates in this thread.

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
"Sidenote I LOVED Saoirse Ronan's performance of Jo in the 2019 Greta Werwig production, she just did it so well"

I.e. I liked the aesthetics of this film and saw that everyone's favourite character is Jo so I pretend Jo is my favourite character so that I look like I understood the book in the same way as everyone else even though I've never read it but pretend I read this book as a child to make other people think I'm an intellectual booklover.
Also not to get off-topic but I thought Florence Pugh's Amy was more memorable than Ronan's Jo. Jo is a character that's easy to love. I think it's much harder to portray an unlikeable character like Amy in a way that makes her likeable and relatable

• Heart

CatCafe234

VIP Member
Has anyone noticed that her voice sounds a lot deeper in these videos? Maybe it's because she doesn't speed them up.

I also think she mentioned meeting up with friends/people she knows in Boston. Not sure if that's correct, but it would make more sense than wandering about on her own.
I am so intrigued with why she’s being so cagey about this trip. She’s only sharing snippets on TikTok, not Instagram (where she’s sharing posts about climate change as if she isn’t on her fourth (fifth?) foreign holiday this year …) and she hasn’t even blogged about packing or preparing for this trip, despite mentioning it previously. Good for Ruby if she’s pulling back a bit from social media but it does seem odd.

Griftwood

VIP Member
I don't understand what romanticising means ... I've seen it in a lot of video titles but what exactly does that mean? does it mean to celebrate your life? I googled the term but I'm not much wiser now. It's basically only for rich, privileged people. I found an article that gives 44 ways to romanticise life and most of the things can only be done by people who have money.
Romanticising something used to mean you were deeply misguided about something essentially negative - e.g. romanticising poverty, romanticising an0rexia, whatever. But now it’s apparently come to mean 💫✨being the main character✨💫 in your own life, for people who can afford to spend time ”creating a narrative” about themselves when the truth is, they have nothing going on.

PorkyPuss

And since when has reading been a sign of an inspiring work ethic? Most people can find time for this.
Exactly. I read a few pages of Rachel Cusk's Second Place this morning on the toilet with a cigarette. Where's my Pride of Britain award? I guess that's not aesthetic enough BookTube. I'm sorry I couldn't read it in-between classes at Hogwarts School of Lemony Children.

• Haha
It got worse.

View attachment 1736844

Ruby: "It's not an ad, JANUINELY! I just want to spread the love and awareness of Ammily Dickensun!"
Commenter: "Cool! Can you make us aware of what you love about her?"
Ruby: "No. It's a secret."
Commenter: "Wait, what?"
Ruby: "I can't talk about it online. It's not the right place."
Commenter: "But...this is the comments section of a video you uploaded to talk about Emily Dickinson, and you're an online influencer - that's the exact right place!"
Ruby: "It's not the right medium."
Commenter: "Wait, I thought you were a life-long lover of academia and an aspiring writer? How is the written word not the right medium to talk about your favourite writer?!"
Ruby: "Mummy, someone's bullying me again!"
The statement that she loves talking about Dickinson with friends but not with her online viewers is just mean. Especially when she's gone all the way to the museum and volunteered for them. I don't see what harm it would have done to say that she likes the style of poetry, or the themes she wrote about, or just the mythology around Dickinson. I leant little from her videos, I had no idea who Austin or Sue were, or what the significance of Amherst was, and am no more inclined to read any of her poems now than I was before.

berkeleymoon87

In her Boston YouTube video when she said that she visited the Harvard book store and it wasn't "the best" idk but it felt like she was trying to put herself "above" it somehow. Like it wasn't "literary" enough for her. Lol. Most bookstores located near campuses serve students and will most likely sell academic texts/textbooks so it won't just be the classics with fancy covers.

Also, I find it funny that she says that Boston isn't really a place for literary tourism when it's actually often referred to as the "birthplace of American literature" and there is even a map of Boston's Literary District online with all the homes of famous authors and other landmarks (but this is for someone who is actually into American literature and has more knowledge or interest in the city's history, references in books, and authors' lives. I also think I may have found the website she may have used to come up with her itinerary for her trip to Boston here. It's a very touristy website and all the book stores she went to are listed there.

She's only talked about Edgar Allan Poe, Louisa May Alcott, and Emily Dickinson, but there is also Sylvia Plath, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Henry David Thoreau, and so many other influential American authors who were born in or lived in Boston and other areas in Massachusetts throughout their literary careers. And since she did visit Amherst, I wonder if she'll mention that David Foster Wallace attended Amherst College. The thing about American authors is that you also need to have an understanding of the historical and social context in which they lived in order to glean a deeper and richer understanding of their work. It would have been nice if her literary tour had extended into something dealing with American history as well. In a 3-week period she could have easily fit in so much!

And I also wonder if she'll ever mention Emily Dickinson's letters and relationship with Susan Gilbert.

Last edited:

emeraldcat

How philanthropic of Ruby, who is currently on her fourth holiday of the year, to deign to think of us lowly peasants.

The audacity! The nerve! All to clear her privileged conscience, rather than any thought going into how she can *actually* help. It's another form of mindless busywork once again.