Ruby Granger #30 A warm milky mug of applestoodle tea

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her parents seem like they're probably Jarvis Cocker fans, so I'm guessing one of them had the book, she saw it lying around in one of their many dusty living rooms and she read the back cover to boost her Goodreads count.
I can 100% see her listening to common people and just not getting it at all

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Ruby needs to stop generalising, "summer is of course the time when we have more time than we do any other time of the year". Do WE??? I suppose she's saying that because summer is holiday season but again she's following the structure of the academic year as if it applies to everyone - even though it doesn't apply to her anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Ruby needs to stop generalising, "summer is of course the time when we have more time than we do any other time of the year". Do WE??? I suppose she's saying that because summer is holiday season but again she's following the structure of the academic year as if it applies to everyone - even though it doesn't apply to her anymore.
Also she’s never had to do it but a lot of students work full time during the summer so they can afford to live! Yet again she is either being like a child or forgetting her privilege….. I mean it’s both

Reactions: 33
Oh god she just drivels on and on and bleeping ON with that smug bleeping smile on her face and I’ve yet to hear a single original take on any of these books. Also someone let her know that sports bra straps are very much not a good look with mummy’s old flowery dress.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I dislike her simpering, manufactured "naturally profound" bookworm voice. Nauseating. I also hate the wannabe-professor claw-hand gesturing.

She says CMBYN is "all very under the surface and implied as opposed to anything particularly happening". No? I remember that book being fairly explicit. It's poetically done but it's completely unambiguous, it's definitely more than "implied".

Oh, she's now saying it's "very graphic", too graphic for her in some places, so words just don't mean anything in Ruby World, I guess.

Ruby barely swallows her annoyance about most books being "swarming with romance", then highlights "especially YA fiction", but continues to default to reading YA. I don't love romance, if I read about relationships I typically want it to be a queer relationship because that's what I relate to, but also not every book about a couple = romance.

Then she says something about "the character of 'I' and 'me'" and I have no idea what she means by that. Do you mean first person, Ruby??

She also recommends Atonement, a WWII novel, as a summer read - but only the first half!

She recommends a book called Me and Emma, which she read when she was 12. It's about child abuse, so very summery? I think she forgot whether she was filming a "summer books" or a "books I wish I could read for the first time again" video.

At the end we find out Ruby is reading "The Life of Elves" and she tells us very seriously "it's not actually about elves, which I'm quite glad about" so who knows what drew her to pick it up. It's got a nice automnal feeling though.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I don't understand why she has such hatred for romance. It's not like she's had a bad experience, she has never dated anyone. I thought people usually enjoyed dating..... It's the 1st time i see someone like her.

Reactions: 8
I don't understand why she has such hatred for romance. It's not like she's had a bad experience, she has never dated anyone. I thought people usually enjoyed dating..... It's the 1st time i see someone like her.
Asexual aromantic here to break the news - we exist.

Also not saying Ruby is either or both of those things, what she does/feels/thinks re. romance and sex is entirely her own business.

I’m just saying it’s possible to not be into the idea of sex, romance, relationships or dating without having tried it out at all.

Reactions: 32
"Botterbryoo by Bard 'n' Bland."

"Books that encapsulate that ASSence of sommah VARRY WAL."

Her camera conveniently "runs out of charge" only to magically work immediately after she claims to have eaten 2 and a bit biscuits, so those clearly just got tossed out the window.

"I'm disappointed with Sherwood Anderson's writing because he only writes about men," Ruby says, having just started on her latest first-and-last draft mess of a book about a world populated entirely by privileged white girls aged 11-16.

So...she was disappointed by the book, but dreams of reading it for the first time? So that, what, she can be disappointed by it all over again? What fresh madness is going on in her brain?

She clearly saw other people over the past few years making "Books I wish I could read again for the first time" videos, then filtered the title through her usual sentence-mangling syntax in a try-hard attempt sound smart. In the process, she looks especially dumb even for her. These books appear barely related to summer and Ruby very obviously either hasn't read them or didn't like them when she skimmed through them.

Ruby has nothing to say about Anderson's book aside from how "languid" and "provincial" it is - two of her favourite words to overuse at every opportunity - and then rambles nonsensically as she massively overanalyses YA book We Were Liars. I'd wager that's the only one she actually read (or skimmed) a lot off, and even then it was clearly just to strip-mine ideas for her own YA book. But even as she drones on endlessly about how E. Lockhart has an innovative writing style (because it's apparently the first time Ruby has ever seen a book experiment even slightly with form and structure), she never once explains the basic plot or how it's supposedly intrinsically a book about summer. There's not even an elevator pitch plot blurb for this book recommendation.

Call Me By Your Name - "I feel loikye AVVERYONE is talking about this book, THIS SOMMAR IN PARTICULAR."

(Checks calendar.) Nope, definitely not 2019 again. Just checking.

This is her 428th time trying to convince people that she's read Call Me By Your name after 2 years of unsuccessful and unbelievable attempts. This is the first time she's realised there's sex in the book. And she clearly only realised that because she got called out on YouTube for clearly having never read the peach scene or any other part of the book when she was desperately trying to use the book as a prop for her romanticised "aesthetic" trip to Italy.

And then she just recites all her lecture handouts and Blakeney's notes about Memoirs of a Fox-Hunting Man and I gave up.

God, she's just insufferable to listen to.

Untitled89089.jpg

Find someone who looks at you the way Ruby looks at the fires she starts.

And why in the illiterate, dusty duck have her dirty sheets gone unchanged and unmoved for several months? What a grimy little goblin.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Asexual aromantic here to break the news - we exist.

Also not saying Ruby is either or both of those things, what she does/feels/thinks re. romance and sex is entirely her own business.

I’m just saying it’s possible to not be into the idea of sex, romance, relationships or dating without having tried it out at all.
Sorry. I wasn't judging her. I just really didn't know it existed people who hate romance.
I've always been annoyed by people desperate to get a gf/bf, i didn't know the opposite existed. Sorry 🙇

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I really hope this is just trolling parody.

The video is a montage of water being chugged, alien food combinations being prepared (was that banana on pasta?!), snack bars being conspicuously waved at the camera, clocks ticking away, barren Notion pages sitting on-screen and nothing at all being accomplished in a "productive" day.

Honestly, if this person condensed Ruby's down to their essence like that and still didn't see how weird, fake, meaningless and problematic Ruby's videos are, then good lord...

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I really hope this is just trolling parody.

The video is a montage of water being chugged, alien food combinations being prepared (was that banana on pasta?!), snack bars being conspicuously waved at the camera, clocks ticking away, barren Notion pages sitting on-screen and nothing at all being accomplished in a "productive" day.

Honestly, if this person condensed Ruby's down to their essence like that and still didn't see how weird, fake, meaningless and problematic Ruby's videos are, then good lord...
I'm a bit ill at the moment and merely reading the words banana on pasta completely wiped out any chance of me having dinner tonight

• Haha
Reactions: 8
She also recommends Atonement, a WWII novel, as a summer read - but only the first half!
Genuinely, what is the point of recommending just the first half of any book - but especially a book like Atonement. Or does she mean she recommends the first half because it’s set in the summer but she doesn’t recommend you read the second half now because it’s not. I’ll admit I’ve had a long day at work but I can’t even be bothered to try and make sense of that.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I wish Ruby would buy a fitted bedsheet, those with elastic around the edges. Problem solved.
It also looks like she is actually sleeping on some MDF / particle board that she laid onto the front and back of the bed. Can't be comfortable.

MDF plate.png

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.