Ruby Granger #30 A warm milky mug of applestoodle tea

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

I'm not even sure if this video is related to the thread because I've not watched it but I saw her name and had to share it with you guys!
Okay so the girl is almost an adult.. 17 isn't as young as she looks. Still weird but at least this video shows Ruby didn't go there just to meet random people.

Reactions: 3
I watched this girl's video (her YouTube name is Jeta) and she says that she was invited to the event by "Ruby Granger" whom she "loves". She talked about her only by using her full YouTube name. That definitely sounds like they have never met before, they only texted because Jeta likes Ruby's videos and wants to be a StudyTuber like her. And Ruby made it sound like they've been actual friends for a while already. Maybe she actually thinks that this is a friendship, since she has so little experience with that topic. She doesn't know how to distinguish between "someone I met once and kind of got along with" and "someone who I've been close with for a long time".

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
Okay so the girl is almost an adult.. 17 isn't as young as she looks. Still weird but at least this video shows Ruby didn't go there just to meet random people.
I only got about halfway through the video - bailed at “Soofjan Stevens”. She does do the similar thing to Ruby, when she tells you what she’s going to do instead of just showing it. I can‘t figure out the outfit she wore to the Bird and Blend event - it looks like a weird combination of a nightie, wearing her older sister’s revealing dress that she’s not quite old enough to fill, as well as overdressed all at the same time 🤣 Bless her though, she seems to be enjoying herself and going out with friends etc

Reactions: 5
I watched this girl's video (her YouTube name is Jeta) and she says that she was invited to the event by "Ruby Granger" whom she "loves". She talked about her only by using her full YouTube name. That definitely sounds like they have never met before, they only texted because Jeta likes Ruby's videos and wants to be a StudyTuber like her. And Ruby made it sound like they've been actual friends for a while already. Maybe she actually thinks that this is a friendship, since she has so little experience with that topic. She doesn't know how to distinguish between "someone I met once and kind of got along with" and "someone who I've been close with for a long time".
i think they must have been speaking for a while online. I haven't watched the video..
But ever since i saw Ruby wait 7 years to reply to a fan on Youtube, I'm assuming she's extremely slow 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I went to high school in England and did GCSE Spanish, although parts of the course were modified/cut out because it was during lockdown, and the government said we didn’t have to do the official exams. Personally in my class, learning a whole paragraph by heart was seen by teachers as the desperate option, and it wasn’t encouraged. In Year 9 (students around 14 yrs old i think) we did a year of Spanish to get a feel for the language if we wanted to do it at GCSE, but we still had to do a Spanish end of year exam, so people who weren’t going to study it further would try and memorise a paragraph just to make ends meet and get a decent grade from the exam. However, what I also remember is my friend memorising a generic paragraph that she thought would work, only for the exam question to be different which basically ruined her answer because it had nothing to do with the question, and she couldn’t salvage it because she had no actual knowledge of the language. So based on that I’d also say that learning a paragraph just to get a good grade is risky because you can never guarantee the question in the exam, and as far as I’m aware in GCSEs and A-Levels the exam boards make up new questions for every year
The GCSE language courses also changed between when Ruby did them and you did them. When Ruby was doing her GCSEs, the questions in the exam were guaranteed (apart from one short question at the end that required a single sentence response, nothing more than, "I like Spanish because it is fun"). Learning a paragraph was the best way (and frankly only way) to get high marks, because you could prepare it and stuff it full of complicated vocabulary and grammar that frankly, no GCSE student was capable of doing if they were coming up with a response from the top of their head.

It absolutely sucks that this was the way it was done - you gained no useful language skills and stepping up to any language learning after it was a shock because you had never actually done any spoken component before. The change they've made seems to step in the right direction as it encourages more actual speaking rather than memorizing and reciting, but that came into place a few years after Ruby.

Reactions: 11
She seems nice, and a her video is a lot more watchable than Ruby's, but have you noticed how many of these studytubers/vloggers seem really privileged and middle-class? That's not a dig at anyone. I just think it's noticeable. (Yes, I am making an assumption about this person's life lol).

Ruby's insta stories - she just can't help herself.

View attachment 1470428

In fairness, she did post about 5 books that weren't kids' stories so maybe I'm being overly harsh.
I don’t want to roast this girl bc she’s young but jfc that is waaay more than middle class. Work experience at the uncles marketing firm, and her accent is somehow even posher than the way Ruby speaks.
But yeah I think this is the case with every influencer tbh, being wealthy and middle class affords you so many privileges when it comes to influencing, it means you can afford good filming equipment, you can afford to dress yourself up to film, you’ll generally be able to film in your nice big house and go to fancy tea tasting sessions… I can’t think of any working class influencers tbh bc most people don’t want to watch a vlog filmed on an estate off an android phone, they want to see Ruby Granger bleeping about in her big mansion in Surrey.

Reactions: 20
The GCSE language courses also changed between when Ruby did them and you did them. When Ruby was doing her GCSEs, the questions in the exam were guaranteed (apart from one short question at the end that required a single sentence response, nothing more than, "I like Spanish because it is fun"). Learning a paragraph was the best way (and frankly only way) to get high marks, because you could prepare it and stuff it full of complicated vocabulary and grammar that frankly, no GCSE student was capable of doing if they were coming up with a response from the top of their head.

It absolutely sucks that this was the way it was done - you gained no useful language skills and stepping up to any language learning after it was a shock because you had never actually done any spoken component before. The change they've made seems to step in the right direction as it encourages more actual speaking rather than memorizing and reciting, but that came into place a few years after Ruby.
I was just going to say this. Since I left school, GCSE courses have undergone major changes, and this is another reason why Ruby's not very well-placed to give advice to secondary school students. Anyway, we had to learn pararaphs of text in foreign languages. It doesn't teach you the language and the entire exercise was a waste of time. I studied French for years, but barely remember any of it now. I'm guessing Ruby had the same experience.

Reactions: 8
I only got about halfway through the video - bailed at “Soofjan Stevens”. She does do the similar thing to Ruby, when she tells you what she’s going to do instead of just showing it. I can‘t figure out the outfit she wore to the Bird and Blend event - it looks like a weird combination of a nightie, wearing her older sister’s revealing dress that she’s not quite old enough to fill, as well as overdressed all at the same time 🤣 Bless her though, she seems to be enjoying herself and going out with friends etc
Yes, she is definitely more than "inspired" by Ruby, but considering her age, I think that is okay, she will figure out how to do her own thing. She seems to be a kind person with an actual interest in learning about literature and art. She doesn't do it because it sounds good in videos or because it's an "aesthetic" thing associated with intellectual superiority.

Reactions: 7
I don’t want to roast this girl bc she’s young but jfc that is waaay more than middle class. Work experience at the uncles marketing firm, and her accent is somehow even posher than the way Ruby speaks.
But yeah I think this is the case with every influencer tbh, being wealthy and middle class affords you so many privileges when it comes to influencing, it means you can afford good filming equipment, you can afford to dress yourself up to film, you’ll generally be able to film in your nice big house and go to fancy tea tasting sessions… I can’t think of any working class influencers tbh bc most people don’t want to watch a vlog filmed on an estate off an android phone, they want to see Ruby Granger bleeping about in her big mansion in Surrey.
Was thinking that too, but didn't want to come across like I was attacking the girl when I know nothing about her personal life.

Yeah that's true. I find it pretty sad tbh, to think that these wealthy kids can use their nice lifestyle to earn even more money. All because they live in prettier environment and can afford to visit interesting places. Not that Ruby makes it far beyond Waterstones, but the opportunity's there and she's had some ✨ aesthetic✨ holidays, etc.

Reactions: 12
Was thinking that too, but didn't want to come across like I was attacking the girl when I know nothing about her personal life.

Yeah that's true. I find it pretty sad tbh, to think that these wealthy kids can use their nice lifestyle to earn even more money. All because they live in prettier environment and can afford to visit interesting places. Not that Ruby makes it far beyond Waterstones, but the opportunity's there and she's had some ✨ aesthetic✨ holidays, etc.
But she spent her whole time reading during all her trips. So i don't think she enjoyed any trip

Reactions: 1
Other than the surroundings and equipment a lot of Internet content is centered on being aesthetic and fitting into certain trends, which automatically pushes you to buy certain things if you want to be successful.
Like, even with BookTube/BookTok (which is arguably one of the most accessible niches out there since you're just talking about books which you can easily access for free), if you wanna be a successful content creator people kinda expect you to own the books you read in physical format so you can annotate them, show them off in thumbnails and have a cool color-coded bookshelf in the background of your videos. Nobody would click on a video where the person is holding up a stack of beaten-up library copies.
And that's not even considering traditional fashion and makeup influencers, StudyTube, etc. which are all even more expensive to get into

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Her "naming which book character would eat this food" TikTok is so funny. You can see the cogs whirring in her brain as she tries to think of book characters. It's so clear she doesn't know any book characters, let alone have the imagination to think about what characters would eat. For a glazed donut she says Homer Simpson, then realises that's a TV show, so says The Simpson Library or whatever series it is, then she says David Sedaris (an author) for another one. Her knowledge of books extends to naming them and occasionally their author. Keep the content coming, Ruby.

Who's gonna tell them?
20220804_114429.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Her "naming which book character would eat this food" TikTok is so funny. You can see the cogs whirring in her brain as she tries to think of book characters. It's so clear she doesn't know any book characters, let alone have the imagination to think about what characters would eat. For a glazed donut she says Homer Simpson, then realises that's a TV show, so says The Simpson Library or whatever series it is, then she says David Sedaris (an author) for another one. Her knowledge of books extends to naming them and occasionally their author. Keep the content coming, Ruby.

Who's gonna tell them? View attachment 1471233
I feel like she hasn't talked about any new books in years lol
It's always the same handful of suggestions, she's been talking about the Simpson books and David Sedaris since 2020 at least

I feel like she hasn't talked about any new books in years lol
It's always the same handful of suggestions, she's been talking about the Simpson books and David Sedaris since 2020 at least
She also mentioned The Perks of Being A Wallflower, One of Us Is Lying and her current middle-grade read so she's basically named every book she's ever read in one TikTok.

Reactions: 8
She also mentioned The Perks of Being A Wallflower, One of Us Is Lying and her current middle-grade read so she's basically named every book she's ever read in one TikTok.
For someone holding a degree in English Literature (First Class, no less!), you’d think she’d have a good stock of well known characters to refer to from all the classics she’s read, but nope. Middle grade and YA.

For someone holding a degree in English Literature (First Class, no less!), you’d think she’d have a good stock of well known characters to refer to from all the classics she’s read, but nope. Middle grade and YA.
And the bleeping Simpsons

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Her good reads currently reading is Jarvis Cockers book which she's read after reading his new book and wtf because never in a million years would I have her down as a pulp fan

• Wow
Her good reads currently reading is Jarvis Cockers book which she's read after reading his new book and wtf because never in a million years would I have her down as a pulp fan
It's a lyric/poetry collection so I'm betting it's Daddy Bones' and she picked it because it's short and will bump up her read book count for the year.

Her parents seem like they're probably Jarvis Cocker fans, so I'm guessing one of them had the book, she saw it lying around in one of their many dusty living rooms and she read the back cover to boost her Goodreads count.

• Haha
  • Heart
Most booktubers read books, Roobee just dreams of reading them. At least she’s being somewhat honest?

ADE84139-1F22-4481-99E1-4BB77C98EE1F.jpeg

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.