Ruby Granger #30 A warm milky mug of applestoodle tea

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Rewatching while I knit and oml she’s all over the place 😂 Me & Emma is slyow-paced but is actually fast-paced, and it’s half provincial, half thriller. ”Provincial” is a genre, according to Ruby. You really need to read this book, it’s a quick read. Apparently it’s about childhood abuse and neglect, but this barely warrants a mention from Roobee, everyone should just read it.

Reactions: 11
I didn’t even catch this when watching her video, but tons of people in the comments are pointing out that South Dakota is not in the deep South of the US 😂🤦
I watched the whole video, but somehow missed this bit! Must have zoned out by the time we got to South Dakota. 😂

It's so weird how she seems to begrudgingly hop onto a trend two years after the fact. Remember when she "read" Miller's Song of Achilles? She seemed to have difficulty just reading it (not enough Sparknotes/ secondary readings for her to mooch off of like she does in her lit degree?) and made a huge deal out of it. For a bookworm you would think opening a book and aiming your eyes on some words would be second nature.
I've noticed this too. It's not unusual for influencers to jump onto book trends, but it's strange how Ruby leaves a long gap between the hype and actually getting around to reading it. I thought the CMBYN posts were never going to end lol. She also changes her mind about books - didn't Ruby dislike TSOA and then change her rating after other people said they loved it? That said, I liked lots of her summer book choices. The Go-Between is a great book.

Did Ruby ever mention reading The Secret History? It's long and I'm not sure she'd enjoy it, but it's the ultimate dark macadeemia novel. (P.S. no spoilers please! I've only read one chapter so far)

Reactions: 3
Rewatching while I knit and oml she’s all over the place 😂 Me & Emma is slyow-paced but is actually fast-paced, and it’s half provincial, half thriller. ”Provincial” is a genre, according to Ruby. You really need to read this book, it’s a quick read. Apparently it’s about childhood abuse and neglect, but this barely warrants a mention from Roobee, everyone should just read it.
sounds like a lovely summer read!
I just skipped through the video yesterday because it was so boring. Booktube is really not her thing. She should watch some booktubers for reference and to learn how they talk about books. I recommend Jen Campbell. She even talks about children's books! But I think Ruby wouldn't be comfortable with the books Jen recommends ...

Reactions: 8
”Provincial” is a genre, according to Ruby.
Haha. I think she'll have to be careful using this word. 'Provincial' can have a condescending tone, e.g. suggesting that the people living in a rural town are uncultured or conform to a negative stereotype. It doesn't just mean quaint. I'd hate to think of Ruby going to visit the Scottish Highlands and saying 'ohhh this village is so provincial!' in her loud, posh voice.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I don’t want to roast this girl bc she’s young but jfc that is waaay more than middle class. Work experience at the uncles marketing firm, and her accent is somehow even posher than the way Ruby speaks.
But yeah I think this is the case with every influencer tbh, being wealthy and middle class affords you so many privileges when it comes to influencing, it means you can afford good filming equipment, you can afford to dress yourself up to film, you’ll generally be able to film in your nice big house and go to fancy tea tasting sessions… I can’t think of any working class influencers tbh bc most people don’t want to watch a vlog filmed on an estate off an android phone, they want to see Ruby Granger bleeping about in her big mansion in Surrey.
Don't they live in Buckinghamshire?

Reactions: 2
I really hope this is just trolling parody.

The video is a montage of water being chugged, alien food combinations being prepared (was that banana on pasta?!), snack bars being conspicuously waved at the camera, clocks ticking away, barren Notion pages sitting on-screen and nothing at all being accomplished in a "productive" day.

Honestly, if this person condensed Ruby's down to their essence like that and still didn't see how weird, fake, meaningless and problematic Ruby's videos are, then good lord...
The way they ended this with watch a film/series tho 😂 Ruby does not approve!

Also found this in their “How to read more” short. Safe to say we found a hardcore Ruby minion

Attachments

• Haha
The way they ended this with watch a film/series tho 😂 Ruby does not approve!

Also found this in their “How to read more” short. Safe to say we found a hardcore Ruby minion
Oh ffs, not this again! 😂🤣 I was hoping it was a parody too. What does that even mean? 'Identify yourself as a reader'??

If you want to read books, how about picking up a book and reading it?
If you need to pep talk yourself into reading then you probably don't enjoy it and should find a different hobby.
Stop trying to make everything you do an identity. I eat food - does this make me an eater? Is that my identity?

Oh ffs, not this again! 😂🤣 I was hoping it was a parody too. What does that even mean? 'Identify yourself as a reader'??

If you want to read books, how about picking up a book and reading it?
If you need to pep talk yourself into reading then you probably don't enjoy it and should find a different hobby.
Stop trying to make everything you do an identity. I eat food - does this make me an eater? Is that my identity?
If it’s not yet your identity, you need to make it your identity. Take the year and really work at it, eat as much as you can and as widely as you can, and don’t rely on your social media following to make it happen. YOU ARE AN EATER. MAKE IT YOUR IDENTITY. THAT IS YOUR IDENTITY.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
If it’s not yet your identity, you need to make it your identity. Take the year and really work at it, eat as much as you can and as widely as you can, and don’t rely on your social media following to make it happen. YOU ARE AN EATER. MAKE IT YOUR IDENTITY. THAT IS YOUR IDENTITY.
Haha, thanks for making me laugh out loud. 🤣 I'll also write ridiculously intense notes to remind myself that I AM AN EATER.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
AF6CEC5A-3D0A-429A-9BF9-85D9ED79F6B0.png
AF6CEC5A-3D0A-429A-9BF9-85D9ED79F6B0.png

So I’ve been a long time lurker, but felt the need to post after seeing this video title. I honestly thought I was having a stroke when I read it for the first time

Reactions: 10
so.. 'summer books I'd want to re-read'? is that what she means?
lol she added the ”again” to the title sometime after she posted the video, the screenshot I have from yesterday says ”summer books I dream of reading for the first time” 😂 I think what she’s trying to say is ”I wish I could read these books for the first time, but since I’m pretending I’ve already read them, I can’t” 🙄

Reactions: 14
Can I take a year out to work on my identity as a couch potato? I'd just have to sit around on my sofa, doing absolutely nothing and watching Netflix and YouTube videos all day!

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Not our relatable queen dropping £50 on bleeping washi tape

EF7E38C0-A426-46AE-8991-C3EFD429AD34.jpeg

6315A089-CA82-402D-91EA-30611139E8F3.jpeg

edit: I mean it’s her money, she can spend it however the duck she pleases, and as someone to whom a 15 € skein of sock yarn is a total steal, I totally get that we all spend money in different ways. What I take exception to, however, is the way she’s constantly trying to make herself out to be this ”frugal” person who makes a big deal out of buying a book that cost over £20 and pretends to keep track of her ”expenses” as if her parents aren’t paying for her upkeep while she attempts to crawl back into the womb in her childhood bedroom.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 33

View attachment 1475184

View attachment 1475185
Remember when Ruby was a student and not just an unemployed layabout and she kept claiming that anything above £10 was too much to justify spending on a book because it was SYO VARRY EXPANSIVE? That lie lasted about as long as all of them.

That fake look of trepidation as though spending £50 will somehow bankrupt her when she has tens of thousands sat in the bank doing nothing, endless ad cash coming in and a tonne of equity from the home she owns though. Ruby is VARRY RELATABLE.

Note how she stresses that this is an independent stationery shop, so in Ruby's mind this is a great and noble act of kindness and charity. (She generally refuses to actually name and support any independent store who doesn't gift her things.)

Also note that "Nyote and Wish" have gifted Ruby a whole load of stuff in the past (no mention of that in this video - surprise, surprise) and she's mentioned them in lots of undeclared ads before.

And finally, she only shows the checkout cart, not an order being placed. This is just another undeclared ad for N&W's "sale".

Reactions: 17
I’d usually drop around £50 on stickers and washi tape at a time, but I wouldn’t do it until I was running low of supplies. I can’t wait for the inevitable haul she’ll give us with no attempt to actually tell us where they’re from other than being from smol businesses 🤦🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 10

View attachment 1475184

View attachment 1475185

edit: I mean it’s her money, she can spend it however the duck she pleases, and as someone to whom a 15 € skein of sock yarn is a total steal, I totally get that we all spend money in different ways. What I take exception to, however, is the way she’s constantly trying to make herself out to be this ”frugal” person who makes a big deal out of buying a book that cost over £20 and pretends to keep track of her ”expenses” as if her parents aren’t paying for her upkeep while she attempts to crawl back into the womb in her childhood bedroom.
I just googled how much 50.50 £ is in €. holy moly. that's 60 €! FOR WASHI TAPE! I get it when you use it regularly for artwork or bullet journaling. But I don't see Ruby doing either of those (only for filming her own planner which she of course always uses). Maybe she can set that tape off against tax liability? At least I guess that the has a business for her youtube channel (you have to when you earn a certain amount of money, I think?)

Now that her young audience sees that she spent 50 pound on stationery they want to follow her example and buy stuff, too. Ruby shouldn't show the amount of money. Is she really that naive and doesn't know that most of her followers are young and some can't afford to pay so much for ... tape? She shouldn't encourage people to spent a lot of money they don't have.

@Griftwood ah a fellow knitter. 😃 I recently learnt how to knit socks! I'm very proud of myself!

seems like she bought the new tapes at Notes and Wish. I googled them and the footer page looks like the one on the screenshot. omg they have strawberry stickers. help. close the tab for me. take the laptop away. heeelp!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.