Ruby Granger #19 Finished my porridge, eaten my peas; mummy, I'm homesick, take me home please

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Could she be paying for this year herself as it's her fourth year? She could have had a loan I know, but maybe to keep her overall student debt down?

I wouldn't worry about an extra year of tuition fee debt if I were her when realistically she won't be paying it all back anyway, but I can totally see Ruby logic being keep the tuition fee debt down to three years.
Student Finance in the UK can easily fund you for four years even though the vast majority of degrees are three years (so some student never need the fourth year) due to some courses having optional years abroad, some having mandatory years in industry and or abroad so are four years anyway (also includes integrated masters), and then it also covers those who do genuinely want to switch their uni and or course without that added financial pressure - it’s one of the best things about the system really a friend of mine had to move from London back to wales to care for family so had to switch universities as well and this made that decision 100% easier for her because it removed any additional major financial pressure

Reactions: 13
I recently rewatched (lol I swear I’m like 5% of her total views some days, please don’t judge) her ”I DROPPED OUT GASP I mean I changed courses but needed the drama” video and in it, she claims she will have an extra year’s worth of student loans to pay back due to this decision. Then again, she lies all the time, so who the duck knows.
She might have taken the maintenance loan but not the one for fees? £9k a year is pretty cheap after what her parents have been paying for school fees for fifteen or so years so they may have been happy to keep paying that bit, and Ruby’s taken out the maintenance loan to pay rent etc.

Reactions: 6
Student Finance in the UK can easily fund you for four years even though the vast majority of degrees are three years (so some student never need the fourth year) due to some courses having optional years abroad, some having mandatory years in industry and or abroad so are four years anyway (also includes integrated masters), and then it also covers those who do genuinely want to switch their uni and or course without that added financial pressure - it’s one of the best things about the system really a friend of mine had to move from London back to wales to care for family so had to switch universities as well and this made that decision 100% easier for her because it removed any additional major financial pressure
I know, I've been through the UK system myself 😊 I had a few friends from private schools who switched courses after first year, some had their parents pay the extra year of fees/maintenance so they didn't end up with more debt than they 'should' have had. I don't understand the logic, but it does seem to be a thing some families with enough money do.

Reactions: 2
I could have sworn she said that she was funding University herself, maybe I just assumed this meant that she had a loan? This is obviously down to interpretation though, since she probably had a trust fund or some kind of inheritance which she is using and she counts that as funding herself. Committing to 9k each year for tuition seems a bit reckless if she didn't have savings, when she would be better off getting a loan and paying it off when she finishes.
She definitely mentioned that she had used up her gift year from Student Finance for her year doing Theology, so now I don't know what to believe. Maybe she only mentioned SF to be relatable and not draw attention to her self-funding, as her video about her cottage went down like a lead balloon?

Reactions: 5
I know, I've been through the UK system myself 😊 I had a few friends from private schools who switched courses after first year, some had their parents pay the extra year of fees/maintenance so they didn't end up with more debt than they 'should' have had. I don't understand the logic, but it does seem to be a thing some families with enough money do.
Ahh my apologies, I hope it didn’t come across the wrong way! Just I’ve seen so many interesting posts here from tattlers in Germany, Netherlands, France etc you never know ☺

Reactions: 1
I knew someone who took out the tuition fee loan, stuck it in a bank account to get interest, and then got her parents to pay the loan back straight after graduating - pocketing the interest. It was far cheaper than her school fees. 🙄

• Sick
  • Wow
I knew someone who took out the tuition fee loan, stuck it in a bank account to get interest, and then got her parents to pay the loan back straight after graduating - pocketing the interest. It was far cheaper than her school fees. 🙄
Surprised they could find a bank account with decent interest these days. 😣

• Haha
Reactions: 10
How did she manage to do that? With my student finance the tuition fee loan went straight to the uni

I’ve heard of people using the low/interest free loan as a way of having a lump sum of money to put in investments or a S&S ISA.

You’ll most likely make more investing than you’ll be charged in interest (if charged at all) so it’s a way to make some cash over 3/4 years

Reactions: 2
I’ve heard of people using the low/interest free loan as a way of having a lump sum of money to put in investments or a S&S ISA.

You’ll most likely make more investing than you’ll be charged in interest (if charged at all) so it’s a way to make some cash over 3/4 years
Let's face it, Daddy Bones knows money so I'm sure he found a suitable way of investing it if that's the case. Maybe it's in the cottage...

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Let's face it, Daddy Bones knows money so I'm sure he found a suitable way of investing it if that's the case. Maybe it's in the cottage...
If Ruby is the one holding the mortgage, then her student debt would have been taken into account when calculating affordability. We know that she’s said she only paid the minimum deposit (which would be higher than ‘normal’ as she should have a BTL mortgage) so even with her earnings she would have to be fairly careful about what she owes. That’s what makes me think she either hasn’t taken the full loan, or has only taken the maintenance element to minimise her debts.

Reactions: 1
If Ruby is the one holding the mortgage, then her student debt would have been taken into account when calculating affordability. We know that she’s said she only paid the minimum deposit (which would be higher than ‘normal’ as she should have a BTL mortgage) so even with her earnings she would have to be fairly careful about what she owes. That’s what makes me think she either hasn’t taken the full loan, or has only taken the maintenance element to minimise her debts.
So many people have student debt though, and it works out as a relatively low monthly payment. Any person studying after 2012 will owe at least £27k of uni debt; I doubt it would affect affordability significantly. Student loans and mortgages are probably the only forms of long term debt that are sensible tbh. The lack of stable income is more of an issue - I imagine that to get the mortgage she had to pay a massive deposit, as she has no guarantee of future earnings and no graduate job lined up. Daddy Bones to the rescue! She probably lied about the deposit.

Reactions: 4
Is anyone slightly confused that she's prepared for a seminar on Bleak House but...hasn't actually read the novel? I feel like this is Ruby in a nutshell
She does this a lot, and it's definitely very telling.

She made the mistake of showing in a past video that for her assigned reading, she reads a Sparknotes synopsis, copies it all into Notion (with slight editing and rewording) and makes a character list before reading the actual book.

She claimed this was to keep track of the story and who the characters are in her head (which of course you're going to struggle with if you haven't read the book yet, Ruby). I think she thought made her seem super organised and a meticulous planner but really just revealed that she cheats, and she's an astonishing idiot who goes to great lengths to avoid actually reading things.

It's also very revealing of her essay-writing technique. She doesn’t read a text, form her own ideas and arguments and then find supporting arguments and materials for her argument as she writes her essay.

She reads a basic synopsis, reads supporting materials and critical essays before reading the text. She grills her tutors with leading questions to see what their ideas are and what they're likely to want to hear in an essay, takes copious notes from the opinions of her seminar classmates (especially Blakeney, whose Notion notes she copies for everything), then forms those borrowed ideas, thoughts and opinions into an essay plan and then picks up the book with an idea already in mind of what she'll need to be highlighting to support "her" arguments. She already has the synopsis in her head, which makes skimming through for quotes and not actually reading it much easier.

She's a total fraud.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 44

She made the mistake of showing in a past video that for her assigned reading, she reads a Sparknotes synopsis, copies it all into Notion (with slight editing and rewording) and makes a character list before reading the actual book.

She claimed this was to keep track of the story and who the characters are in her head (which of course you're going to struggle with if you haven't read the book yet, Ruby). I think she thought made her seem super organised and a meticulous planner but really just revealed that she cheats, and she's an astonishing idiot who goes to great lengths to avoid actually reading things.

It's also very revealing of her essay-writing technique. She doesn’t read a text, form her own ideas and arguments and then find supporting arguments and materials for her argument as she writes her essay.

She reads a basic synopsis, reads supporting materials and critical essays before reading the text. She grills her tutors with leading questions to see what their ideas are and what they're likely to want to hear in an essay, takes copious notes from the opinions of her seminar classmates (especially Blakeney, whose Notion notes she copies for everything), then forms those borrowed ideas, thoughts and opinions into an essay plan and then picks up the book with an idea already in mind of what she'll need to be highlighting to support "her" arguments. She already has the synopsis in her head, which makes skimming through for quotes and not actually reading it much easier.

She's a total fraud.
You'd think that for someone who claims to read more than 100 books a year every year without fail, reading one book in time for a seminar would be quite an easy task.

Reactions: 24
I hate to praise her in any way, but while her essay writing technique is atrocious and won't teach her anything, she is guaranteed a good mark. It's just like in school. She's not a good student, or smart even. She just knows how to play the system.

Reactions: 33

She's a total fraud.
That...sounds like plagiarism.

• Heart
I hate to praise her in any way, but while her essay writing technique is atrocious and won't teach her anything, she is guaranteed a good mark. It's just like in school. She's not a good student, or smart even. She just knows how to play the system.
Oh, definitely. Props to her for gaming the system well. It's hardly honest or beneficial to her, but it's worked great for her up until now when it comes to getting consistent firsts.

But she's also never learned to rely on her own thoughts and opinions, improve her critical skills or put in the basic groundwork to succeed academically without piggybacking off the work and ideas of others, so this final year - where all those skills are going to be vital - will be disastrous for her.

That...sounds like plagiarism.
I wouldn't call it plagiarism - I'm sure she'll be very careful not to drop someone else's words in and will just use all those ideas as a foundation for an essay she writes herself - but it's definitely lazy and manipulative. I'm not sure what she's really gaining from it as someone who claims to love learning and reading when she's taking every shortcut she can to avoid reading, learning or forming an opinion of her own.

Between Sparknotes, all her tutor's emails and notes, and all of the arguments and counterpoints from her seminars and Blakeney's Notion, she has the rigid skeleton of an essay with a thesis that she knows the person grading it will agree with, counterarguments provided by other students and a tonne of critical material because that's what she spent most of her time on.

All she has to do is put it all in her own words (and run it through a spellchecker and have Blakeney/a tutor proofread it to undo all her misspellings and malapropisms) and she has an essay that'll get a high grade with little effort and it's perfectly within the rules.

That might work great for the first two years where you're given strict, prewritten essay titles to choose from, but in a dissertation she now has none of the academic skills or ability required to function, and can't borrow ideas from other people, so it's no shock that she's floundering and hates uni now.

Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.