Ruby Granger #10 house is an eyesore, dresses like torycore, 30+ routines, how many more?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is her review

"
I've read a fair few books about anorexia and bulimia, but Hennessy's novel has an interesting twist. The novel is narrated by 17 year old Annabelle who has recently died as a result of her eating disorder, and who has now, in afterlife, been assigned to help one of her peers, Julia. Julia has struggled with binging for a year, and Annabelle, still sick, encourages her to lose weight.

The book deals with some really important issues (eating disorders, trauma, sexual abuse etc.) and there is often good insight. However, at times, the narration is too focused on Julia's love interest & other typical school drama. I appreciate that this provides contrast to the more serious issues being discussed, but these parts weren't as gripping and I found myself skimming through them." come on ruby the whole book doesn't have to be an anorexia how to guide for you
It's weird how she's always so intent on putting down normal teenage things like romance/makeup/whatever. In the context of a book, I'd think that a love interest or "typical school drama" are important for shaping the character and how those things presumably affect their ED? The intention is surely to deepen and interact with the serious issues, not be separate or in total contrast with them. Skimming them seems like missing the point.

Reactions: 21
That is insane.
My university fees are 1/8 of that and I'm in the highest income bracket.
And they were able to afford to send two children there? Amazing
They go up every year and vary depending on cohort size, I imagine they slightly more than they paid when she was there, plus not sure who worked it out but if it’s the school I thought it was it’s either less or more, per term they’re £6,580 so depends if they make 6 or 3 payments 😂

Reactions: 4
That is insane.
My university fees are 1/8 of that and I'm in the highest income bracket.
And they were able to afford to send two children there? Amazing
And that doesn’t include uniform, lunches, trips, additional lessons (like the LAMDA classes) and lots of other things. Some independent schools even change exam fees directly to parents. You could easily be looking at a total cost of over £30k, per child, per year. Sometimes you can get a sibling discount but it’s not generally much, say 5-10% per year. It’s mind-blowing to me that someone could have £60k of disposable income just for school fees for two kids, but it is how it is.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
And that doesn’t include uniform, lunches, trips, additional lessons (like the LAMDA classes) and lots of other things. Some independent schools even change exam fees directly to parents. You could easily be looking at a total cost of over £30k, per child, per year. Sometimes you can get a sibling discount but it’s not generally much, say 5-10% per year. It’s mind-blowing to me that someone could have £60k of disposable income just for school fees for two kids, but it is how it is.
Maybe it’s her dad’s tax evasion that helps 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 15
It's weird how she's always so intent on putting down normal teenage things like romance/makeup/whatever. In the context of a book, I'd think that a love interest or "typical school drama" are important for shaping the character and how those things presumably affect their ED? The intention is surely to deepen and interact with the serious issues, not be separate or in total contrast with them. Skimming them seems like missing the point.
To be fair on her, I always (and still, even) dislike romance in certain books. In some books (mostly YA) there's a constant emphasis on romance, and unless I'm really feeling the couple dynamic it ends up being quite frustrating. When I was younger I thought I 'hated romance' but it turns out that I was just annoyed at all of the random straight couples ruining gay-coded films! (see: Bend it Like Beckham) !! 😂

Reactions: 10
It's crazy to me to read that other countries actually use terms such as "gifted" to refer to kids in schools. That doesn't seem healthy.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
It's crazy to me to read that other countries actually use terms such as "gifted" to refer to kids in schools. That doesn't seem healthy.
Welcome to the education system where you’re labelled overtly or covertly

Reactions: 13
Welcome to the education system where you’re labelled overtly or covertly
To be fair, the UK only really started using ‘gifted’ officially in the state system in the late 90s, and before then unless you were mind-meltingly bright there wasn’t much there for kids who were doing well - the main emphasis was on kids who weren’t achieving (not that that was managed particularly well either). I think we copied the US in adopting ‘gifted and talented’, prior to that you might be called ‘bright’ or ‘able’ but there wasn’t an official label. It’s one of those words that’s really emotive but on the other side of that, it’s good that there now is some kind of support in the state system for brighter kids. I don’t know if it’s still a thing but there used to be a few people arguing that really bright kids should be able to be assessed as having SEN, since there was no other real way for them to access the support they needed in the state system. Lots of controversy around that though!

Reactions: 3
It’s like every vlogger who wants to be seen as ‘special‘ claims they’re an INFJ in Myers-Briggs because they read the definitions and saw that was the least common personality type (and I’m just using that as an example, I’m not conflating them and I know that both IQ testing and Myers-Briggs are massively problematic and have questionable histories. I’m just using them as examples of vloggers spouting nonsense to claim specialness).
I was INFJ for years, and had no idea it was considered the rarest. My MB has changed to ENFJ now, so the fact that it can change demonstrates how little it really means.

Reactions: 7
I really dislike "gifted" education. "Gifted" kids with a disability never get the right support. My parents were told to ignore my learning disability because I was "so smart".

• Sad
Reactions: 20
Honestly all I hope is that Ruby can stop making academics her personality & loosen up a little because I just know she will struggle once university is over.

Reactions: 6
her school fees were 26320 pounds a year!!
Sorry for letting my American show through here, but can anyone explain to me one simple thing: why? I grew up in a suburb of Boston and went to public/state funded schools my whole life and now I'm at a university ranked in the top ten in the world (I hate so much that I've typed this lol, the point I'm trying to make is in the U.S. we generally think that you don't need a private school education to go to a great university).
I understand the British education system pretty well, I think, but I don't get why she couldn't have just gone to a public/state school? Are the schools in her area bad in some way? Or was her family just over the top and spending money in ways that don't make sense?

Reactions: 4
Sorry for letting my American show through here, but can anyone explain to me one simple thing: why? I grew up in a suburb of Boston and went to public/state funded schools my whole life and now I'm at a university ranked in the top ten in the world (I hate so much that I've typed this lol, the point I'm trying to make is in the U.S. we generally think that you don't need a private school education to go to a great university).
I understand the British education system pretty well, I think, but I don't get why she couldn't have just gone to a public/state school? Are the schools in her area bad in some way? Or was her family just over the top and spending money in ways that don't make sense?
Parents tend to see it as an investment in their education, and future and it’s the extra money they’ve got so it’s not even much of a dent in their pockets and tbf it does help, she will have achieved much better because she was in small classes with other people from similar backgrounds and that’s what makes the difference

Part of it is because parents are scared of the state sector and worry that their children will flounder there, or just not get as much attention (bigger class sizes etc).

Part of it is because private schools are more likely to provider extracurricular resources (trips, sport, music etc).

Part of it is about social engineering. They don't want their children going to school with the 'riff raff' and they want them to have the social status that comes with a private school education. You get to mix in different circles.

Reactions: 20
Her new Instagram post... milly molly Mandy, maggot pie, picture books aimed at 5 year olds,the teddy bear. My goodness she’s pulled poor Blakeny into this

Reactions: 7
I'm not British so I might be wrong here but I think that private schools come with a lot of prestige in England.
In my country private schools or universities generally don't have a great reputation lol like the assumption is that the people who go there are held to a much, much lower standard than public school because the parents are paying. Like in my hometown there was a private school and the general consensus was that people who went there were too lazy to make it in a regular school.

Reactions: 5
I think her parents are just really rich and could easily afford to pay for private school for both of their kids. I also think Ruby probably would’ve struggled a lot at a grammar school tbh.

Many people have already given many reasons as to why parents choose to sends their children to a private school... In my personal experience, I was moved around a lot (to different countries) and international schools (Which are mostly private) follow the same curriculum. This allowed me to not inevitably fall behind each time we moved and struggle to learn a completely new language in order to go to a public school there. Then again, brits often send their kids to privates schools for the reasons already shown.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.