Ruby Granger #10 house is an eyesore, dresses like torycore, 30+ routines, how many more?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I could be totally wrong about this but, she went to a private school right? And aren’t they allowed to set their own exam boards against any curriculum and are often criticised for being way easier than state schools and therefore a bit easier to get higher grades....
Yeah she went to a public school... but I don't see how that would allowed her to fiddle her A levels or GCSE results. Those tests are national and marked externally so she would still be beholden to the same standards as the rest of the people taking those exams (state and public school kids alike)

Reactions: 6
I once took an online IQ test and purposely chose the wrong answers/least appropriate answers to see what IQ it would give me. I still managed to get an IQ of 113 apparently! Online tests are pretty much designed to confirm people's impressions of their own intelligence, without any proper basis,

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I have administered quite a few IQ-tests for my university education in psychology (the last one only a few weeks ago) and from my point of view while one needs to be aware of its problematic backgrounds and its limitations they can be quite useful and are an essential diagnostic tool especially for school-related problems in children. Having said this, I think to even be considered (except for fun and giggles) they need to be administered professionally and their results need to be considered as a part of a broader spectrum of diagnostics.

(Summa summarum: No, Roobs, only because you wish to be the special wise star-child and the internet affirmed you, doesn't mean you have an IQ of 160.)

Reactions: 16
Thread Suggestion: Ruby Granger #11 - Fancy Dress in the US? No Ruby we do not want ‘Antebellum Etiquette’

Reactions: 8
I once took an online IQ test and purposely chose the wrong answers/least appropriate answers to see what IQ it would give me. I still managed to get an IQ of 113 apparently! Online tests are pretty much designed to confirm people's impressions of their own intelligence, without any proper basis,
I consider myself of average intelligence and I've tried IQ tests a couple times but I always got frustrated with them, because they always seem to focus a lot on like logic based on numbers and images? And whenever I'm confronted with like a dice that I have to rebuild or a series of symbols that I have to figure out how to finish it's like my brain shuts down and refuses to do it. But I can't tell if it's because of that whole 'different kinds of intelligence' thing and I'm just not cut out for that kind of exercise, or if I'm just dumb and I'm trying to avoid the truth lol

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I remember her saying that her & her friend were irritated in class since everything was so “slow”. She kept saying she didn’t want to brag. With how obsessed she is about academics, there’s no way she didn’t address this with her school or parents.
I remember being bored by my slow classes when I was in primary school. Turns out I wasn't neurotypical and I'd been allowed to read the entire library because my teachers didn't know how to deal with me.

Anyway, I went to a grammar school and we didn't do IQ tests there. I will point out that if you have teachers who know what you're doing you can game the A-Level system by learning exactly how they will mark and how to answer based on what they're looking for, and that's why a lot of people who do really well at A-Levels are shocked by the jump to writing for University, because it's no longer about going for the "right" answer, and it's why a lot of people like Ruby are so insistent they're smart because they were told they were so smart for so long.

Reactions: 15
I consider myself of average intelligence and I've tried IQ tests a couple times but I always got frustrated with them, because they always seem to focus a lot on like logic based on numbers and images? And whenever I'm confronted with like a dice that I have to rebuild or a series of symbols that I have to figure out how to finish it's like my brain shuts down and refuses to do it. But I can't tell if it's because of that whole 'different kinds of intelligence' thing and I'm just not cut out for that kind of exercise, or if I'm just dumb and I'm trying to avoid the truth lol
I mean I can't rule out completely that an underlying profound stupidity might be at work here, but I can 100% assure you that serious IQ tests always consider several constructs (which are often to be assumed unrelated). So while those tasks targeting logical reasoning or speed might not be able to shine a light on your intellectual highlights more language or memory focused tasks might be able to do so. ;)

(Also, the remark in the beginning is ofc intended humorously. :) Hope this comes across. My brain already went to sleep as should I.)

Reactions: 5
I feel like children being bored in elementary school is not an indication of being gifted at all lol (but I think Ruby thinks it's a sign that she is more intelligent than average). Like I was often bored in primary school but it was because I learned how to read when I was 4 and I was already reading Harry Potter by the time I started primary school. And I feel like it's very easy and common to be bored and find things 'slow' in primary school. It doesn't mean you're particularly gifted imo.
In general the concept of intelligence is a bit foggy for me (which might be a self-burn).
Yeah, intelligence 'on paper' means very little if you can't balance it with other things, such as emotional intelligence (even more important imo; you need to be able to get along with people in order to survive in this extrovert world 💀 ) and life experience/street smarts. In general the idea of a numbered intelligence seems very silly to me, as there's no real one way to measure the way someone's brain works in every situation. You can measure fear, happiness, etc, but intelligence isn't centered on one specific thing and changes constantly.

Someone could be extremely capable at IQ tests but awful at group activities, or vice versa. At the end of the day it's about how you interact with people and utilise your brainpower in normal situations. If someone around me is constantly boasting about their IQ number or putting people down about their perceived intelligence, I automatically assume they're extremely insecure and/or dumber than they think. It's just nasty and egotistical... and nobody really cares? Idk about anyone else but I could not give less of a crap about the intelligence levels of my friends?? As long as they're compassionate, have good banter and are fun to hang out with, I don't care if they're living with one brain cell (me lmao) or the spawn of Einstein himself.
Ditto those Myers-Briggs things. They're fun as a meme or to get a general idea of your personality type, but if you start basing your entire life around a set of letters it's pointless and kinda elitist. (I have a mate like this and he's so annoying about the fact he's an INTJ. babe I do not care... they're just letters, they're not an excuse to be a prick! :D)

Reactions: 13
Yes me too. It's also like how do you measure intelligence? I know people who didn't go to uni (did an engineering apprenticeship or something) who are smarter than people I know who got a first at uni. Some people aren't book smart but are good judges of character and have high levels of emotional intelligence. At the same time, I know someone who was talented and gifted, or whatever the term is, as a child. He was definitely considered a child genius but as he got older everyone else became more intelligent and caught up to him. He's still very academic and good at most things BUT he's not remotely wise imo.

Yeah, intelligence 'on paper' means very little if you can't balance it with other things, such as emotional intelligence (even more important imo; you need to be able to get along with people in order to survive in this extrovert world 💀 ) and life experience/street smarts. In general the idea of a numbered intelligence seems very silly to me, as there's no real one way to measure the way someone's brain works in every situation. You can measure fear, happiness, etc, but intelligence isn't centered on one specific thing and changes constantly.

Someone could be extremely capable at IQ tests but awful at group activities, or vice versa. At the end of the day it's about how you interact with people and utilise your brainpower in normal situations. If someone around me is constantly boasting about their IQ number or putting people down about their perceived intelligence, I automatically assume they're extremely insecure and/or dumber than they think. It's just nasty and egotistical... and nobody really cares? Idk about anyone else but I could not give less of a crap about the intelligence levels of my friends?? As long as they're compassionate, have good banter and are fun to hang out with, I don't care if they're living with one brain cell (me lmao) or the spawn of Einstein himself.
Ditto those Myers-Briggs things. They're fun as a meme or to get a general idea of your personality type, but if you start basing your entire life around a set of letters it's pointless and kinda elitist. (I have a mate like this and he's so annoying about the fact he's an INTJ. babe I do not care... they're just letters, they're not an excuse to be a prick! :D)
Sorry for the double post! I hadn't caught up with the thread before commenting but I've basically said the same thing about emotional.intelligence in a less eloquent way 😅

I myself am gifted, or, as we call it in the Netherlands, 'highly intelligent' and had IQ scores of around 145-150 throughout the years. However, I have learned from my psychiatrist that a high IQ alone doesn't establish someone as 'gifted'. You need to excell in multiple things, the most common denominator being 4. 1) something academic, like languages, maths or physics. You can't excell in all academic subjects (well, you can, but it's unlikely), because something's gotta give in your brain. In my case it's languages and logical reasoning, but I am lost with numbers. There's just no space for it in my mind. 2) something creative, like drawing, painting, writing, making pottery, you name it. 3) something we call here 'psychomotor related', activities where you use your brain and body at the same time, like dancing, gymnastics, or ball sports. 4) you have to have quite a lot of psychological symptoms, in the netherlands there are 39 (of which I have 32 lol), like getting overwhelmed quickly, because your brain absorbs allll info it gets, having an outstanding memory, having trouble feeling physical clues you're tired/sick because you only live in your head etc etc.

Only if you consistently have a high IQ and check the other 4 boxes I just mentioned only then you are considered gifted or highly intelligent here. Just academic succes ain't cutting it.

I don't think Ruby really has the IQ she says she has, because then her writing, obviously her creative field of interest, should have been LOADS better. When it comes to the psychomotoric things, I don't think a psychiatrist counts twirling in a field.

Reactions: 9
Yeah she went to a public school... but I don't see how that would allowed her to fiddle her A levels or GCSE results. Those tests are national and marked externally so she would still be beholden to the same standards as the rest of the people taking those exams (state and public school kids alike)
Oh sorry just meant they can choose the exam board and don’t have to follow the national curriculum rather than actually being able to physically change what a kid wrote on an exam

Reactions: 3
Ruby doesn’t seem to have any lifeskills and social skills if her recent vlogs are anything to go by... peas on pikelets! Or emotional and social intelligence, the Holocaust Memorial post debacle being an example.

Reactions: 3
In general in my humble opinion the concept of being gifted is kinda overrated. If a child is constantly told that they're gifted and special and whatever it creates false expectations that they're always going to succeed no matter the amount of work they put in. Like I'm sure that from a psychological or educational standpoint knowing that a child is particularly intelligent is helpful to know how they learn and at what pace they learn things, but the focus shouldn't constantly be on how gifted they are.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
I tried to do some IQ tests but actually these multiple numbers/symbols tasks made me super bored and I didn't want to waste time on these so I would resign after a few lol

This is her review

"
I've read a fair few books about anorexia and bulimia, but Hennessy's novel has an interesting twist. The novel is narrated by 17 year old Annabelle who has recently died as a result of her eating disorder, and who has now, in afterlife, been assigned to help one of her peers, Julia. Julia has struggled with binging for a year, and Annabelle, still sick, encourages her to lose weight.

The book deals with some really important issues (eating disorders, trauma, sexual abuse etc.) and there is often good insight. However, at times, the narration is too focused on Julia's love interest & other typical school drama. I appreciate that this provides contrast to the more serious issues being discussed, but these parts weren't as gripping and I found myself skimming through them." come on ruby the whole book doesn't have to be an anorexia how to guide for you

• Haha
Reactions: 22
This is her review

"
I've read a fair few books about anorexia and bulimia, but Hennessy's novel has an interesting twist. The novel is narrated by 17 year old Annabelle who has recently died as a result of her eating disorder, and who has now, in afterlife, been assigned to help one of her peers, Julia. Julia has struggled with binging for a year, and Annabelle, still sick, encourages her to lose weight.

The book deals with some really important issues (eating disorders, trauma, sexual abuse etc.) and there is often good insight. However, at times, the narration is too focused on Julia's love interest & other typical school drama. I appreciate that this provides contrast to the more serious issues being discussed, but these parts weren't as gripping and I found myself skimming through them." come on ruby the whole book doesn't have to be an anorexia how to guide for you
Of course she was bored by the love story lol

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I feel like being ~highly intelligent~ or whatever (ignoring that IQ has a super shady history and all that) usually either means you're extraordinarily good at something and bring innovation or new ideas into the field - or it just makes you mentally ill. Ruby seems to be neither 😳

(Guess which one I got 😉)

Point being, I think we're all thinking of this type of innovative, "outside-of-the-box" intelligence, which doesn't always equate to good grades, because many people who fall into this category might not fit well into the confines of academia or have very specific talents while lacking in other fields. Ruby seems to be the opposite of this, someone who is very inside-of-the-box and following conventions, but is able to memorise and complete tasks very well.

That being said, that doesn't have to be a bad thing! Her skills are not extraordinary but they're very well balanced and probably qualify her for quite a lot of jobs in the future, even if she doesn't end up being a cottagecore Hemingway or whatever the duck, I don't know authors 🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 7
In general in my humble opinion the concept of being gifted is kinda overrated. If a child is constantly told that they're gifted and special and whatever it creates false expectations that they're always going to succeed no matter the amount of work they put in. Like I'm sure that from a psychological or educational standpoint knowing that a child is particularly intelligent is helpful to know how they learn and at what pace they learn things, but the focus shouldn't constantly be on how gifted they are.
Totally agree with you! In years 7-11 I wasn't in the gifted and talented programme, at the time I was kind of salty about it. Looking back I think it actually did me the world of good because my parents or the school didn't but any pressure on me to do well and I ended up getting the best A level grades in my school. I think it also kept me humble for when I went to uni and realised everyone on my course was just as "intelligent" as me when it came to grades

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.