Ruby Granger #10 house is an eyesore, dresses like torycore, 30+ routines, how many more?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been thinking this as well! I’m sure there are plenty of other people still in Exeter, judging by the fact that a lot of students are still in my uni town. I obvs spend time with my flatmates, but I also see other friends as well. Like Ruby, I’m naturally introverted and don’t like spending time with large groups of people or getting drunk every night, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have multiple friends. It really looks like Blakeney is Ruby’s only friend - I haven’t even seen mention of their other friend (Sascha?) for ages. I hope it’s what Blakeney wants as well, and that she isn’t being pressured into only spending time with Ruby. Imagine Ruby being the only person you hung out with…

Yup, it was one of the first things we were all told at my uni - don’t use a thesaurus to make yourself sound more intelligent, because you will invariably fail. It blows my mind that she’s getting the grades she does. Either Exeter is a far worse uni than I thought, or her essays are infinitely better than anything she lets the public see.

View attachment 615423
This is the review btw. Special shout outs to “trailing descriptions of things”, and “absorbs himself in his him intellectual pursuits”.

Totally agree. She acts like she’s incredibly well read but her ratio of children’s to adult literature must be terrible. The Death of Francis Bacon makes me chuckle - firstly it took me like 45 minutes to read, secondly if anyone knows anything about Francis Bacon (the painter not the Renaissance dude), they’ll know that drugs and sex make up a large part of his work. The book is…not as good as Porter’s other work I don’t think, but honestly I can see her marking it down just because in some ways it’s pretty filthy. It’s not a portrait of an artist who waltzes around being incredibly ~aesthetic~ all the time, it’s about one who had issues with drugs and booze, and died a lonely, undignified death. The book has a few drug and sex heavy passages, there’s no way she would have liked it. She’ll have read it because she read his previous book, Lanny, which is fantastic. It also has a child protagonist, who sees the world in an innocent, typically childlike manner. I wonder why she liked it? I assume she was disappointed when she discovered that Porter isn’t a child himself, and had the audacity to write about silly unimportant things that adults do, instead of sticking to children with deeply romanticised outlooks on life.
An alamac? Does she mean almanac? Her sentences don't even make any sense! Yes, her writing is very flowery. Number 1 rule is to drop the excessive use of adjectives and get to the point. "His descriptions of paintings are like paintings in themselves." Say what, Girl? I feel like she didn't really understand the majority of themes in this novel! lmao

Reactions: 15
Hmm, looks like she’s cut her stay short. She posted on May 30th that she was back in Exeter ”for the next month”. Two weeks isn’t a month by any stretch of the imagination. What gives?
Part of me hopes that her parents have told her to come home because they’re worried, but I suspect more that Ruby herself is worried about the Delta variant and has gone back home. Or perhaps Blakeney is going home/away for a while and Ruby doesn’t want to be there alone. I’d like to think she’s getting some help, but I doubt it.

Reactions: 7
I can’t. I looked up Huysmans’ Against Nature, and I’ll be taking your wagers on whether the protagonist is actually named ”Des Essentiales” as Roobee claims 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Part of me hopes that her parents have told her to come home because they’re worried, but I suspect more that Ruby herself is worried about the Delta variant and has gone back home. Or perhaps Blakeney is going home/away for a while and Ruby doesn’t want to be there alone. I’d like to think she’s getting some help, but I doubt it.
Or maybe she’s just decided to go home so she can carry on the childish rubbish! Or that their tenancy runs out in June?

Reactions: 11
I can’t. I looked up Huysmans’ Against Nature, and I’ll be taking your wagers on whether the protagonist is actually named ”Des Essentiales” as Roobee claims 😂😂😂
Jesus bleeping Christ.
Ruby, I beg you. Use Grammarly or turn on Google's spell check or just check the spelling on Google because you really need it. You get a lot of words wrong and it's embarrassing.
How do you get a character's name so wrong after reading a book about them? Did she actually read it or did she just skim it?

And please learn of the existance of other languages beside English. I promise they're not gonna hurt you

Reactions: 17
An alamac? Does she mean almanac? Her sentences don't even make any sense! Yes, her writing is very flowery. Number 1 rule is to drop the excessive use of adjectives and get to the point. "His descriptions of paintings are like paintings in themselves." Say what, Girl? I feel like she didn't really understand the majority of themes in this novel! lmao
LMAO, I've read that novel for my literature class a few years ago and idk what is up with this review but it seems that she utterly misunderstood the book cause it seems rather surface-level. It's a difficult book to read, with loads of neologisms and learned/rare vocabulary, so I guess that's why she was drawn to it... At this point it feels like she just misspells words on purpose... Did she even read the book if she can't even get the main character's name right? It's Des Esseintes Ruby, not Des Essentiales, which you'd know if you'd actually read the novel ;)

Reactions: 10
Sure he is. Des, sort for Desmond, and then Essentiales, pronounced Essen-shuls. Can’t see a problem here.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Sure he is. Des, sort for Desmond, and then Essentiales, pronounced Essen-shuls. Can’t see a problem here.
I think I've seen Des Essentials at his stall down the local market. He's got some great deals on all the necessities as long as you don't mind stuff that's fallen off the back of a truck and has no warranty.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I’d be willing to accept that Des Essentiales was autocorrect if it weren’t for the fact that that’s not how Esseintes would correct (at least not on my phone). Does she never proofread anything? I know this is just my anxiety talking, but I proofread literally everything I write about 5 times before it goes anywhere. She must have a lot of followers on Goodreads, does she not care how she must come across? It’s honestly beyond belief for me that she can have that many stupid mistakes in two paragraphs.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.