Ruby Granger #10 house is an eyesore, dresses like torycore, 30+ routines, how many more?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We had the biggest event of the calendar year, Roobee turned 21 but would rather have turned 12, as she likes to remind us. Material presents are Not The Thing but we still got a birthday haul video where the presents totaled over £1,000 in value even by conservative estimates. Several children’s books were included. As always, she was #grateful and #blessed while she continued to commemorate the Blessed Day of Her Birth for an entire week.

Her exams came and went, we were unsurprised to learn that she likes to read children’s books in preparation for them, and we got a glimpse of all the Victorian nonsense she has queued up for our summer entertainment.

The ED baiting continues. So does the inexplicable need to live her life according to now this aesthetic, now another. We’ve been to Dark Macadamia and back, and have progressed through the magical land of Cottagecore, a key element of which is to clutter up your bedroom with wilting flowers and useless knick-knacks. Meanwhile, Roobee herself continues to be stolidly middle class and #torycore as she takes on sponsorship after sponsorship and just can’t help her money-grubbing ways.

Roobee’s book club languishes in the outer darkness.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
She's not that busy now uni has ended, I don't know what her excuse is for not doing the book club stuff?

Is she threatened by people being more intelligent than her in the group possibly?

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Ever since I watched her most recent birthday haul, her old hauls have popped up on my YouTube page a lot. I think she's mentioned before that her pop-psych "love language" is giving and receiving gifts, which is fair enough, and I liked her last xmas gifts. Including things like that mouse, they seem cute and thoughtful and tailored to her interests mostly in an age-appropriate way. But also... my god, I don't think my family has exchanged this much money worth of gifts... possibly ever. One Christmas at the Granger household would probably fund a lifetime worth of Christmases for me...

Also, someone mentioned that she'd put a lot of her Hermione videos on private a while ago. Idk which ones they were but there's currently a lot of Hermione content among her older videos... so did she make them public again (bc they still get her views)? Or are they just ones she didn't private to begin with?

Reactions: 12
She's not that busy now uni has ended, I don't know what her excuse is for not doing the book club stuff?

Is she threatened by people being more intelligent than her in the group possibly?
Wait her uni year is done already? I still have a four week course 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Also, someone mentioned that she'd put a lot of her Hermione videos on private a while ago. Idk which ones they were but there's currently a lot of Hermione content among her older videos... so did she make them public again (bc they still get her views)? Or are they just ones she didn't private to begin with?
When you go to her channel, under Playlists there’s one titled Hermione Granger Tutorials, and most of those have been made private relatively recently. So I’m guessing you’re getting the ones that haven’t been made private.

Reactions: 2
Ever since I watched her most recent birthday haul, her old hauls have popped up on my YouTube page a lot. I think she's mentioned before that her pop-psych "love language" is giving and receiving gifts, which is fair enough, and I liked her last xmas gifts. Including things like that mouse, they seem cute and thoughtful and tailored to her interests mostly in an age-appropriate way. But also... my god, I don't think my family has exchanged this much money worth of gifts... possibly ever. One Christmas at the Granger household would probably fund a lifetime worth of Christmases for me...

Maybe she made them public again, I've seen some people complain they were private in her comments.

• Haha

I'm under the impression that she only sees her viewers/fans as potential buyers for her merch and the stuff she promotes and tools to increase her revenue and visibility on Youtube.
So I think the answer as to why she doesn't put more effort in her bookclub is simply that she doesn't care.

Reactions: 10
When you go to her channel, under Playlists there’s one titled Hermione Granger Tutorials, and most of those have been made private relatively recently. So I’m guessing you’re getting the ones that haven’t been made private.
Huh, look at that, who knew that's a feature on YouTube 🙈🙈 - yes, they are still private. So I guess she just left some of the less... odd up so her videos would still be suggested for HP search terms.

I'm under the impression that she only sees her viewers/fans as potential buyers for her merch and the stuff she promotes and tools to increase her revenue and visibility on Youtube.
So I think the answer as to why she doesn't put more effort in her bookclub is simply that she doesn't care.
I think this is going to happen with a lot of studytubers. They never intended to make a career out of it but they've been quite successful and subsequently can't give it up, even when they don't enjoy it anymore. The pay is just too good.

Reactions: 5
I think this is going to happen with a lot of studytubers. They never intended to make a career out of it but they've been quite successful and subsequently can't give it up, even when they don't enjoy it anymore. The pay is just too good.
I guess the nature of a studytube channel is that it's temporary - sooner or later you're going to leave education and at that point the studytuber either changes the focus of their channel or stops making videos.

Reactions: 16
Jade in a nutshell. She doesn't even blog about studying any longer, just about a kind of study lifestyle. I think Holly tries to branch out but when it comes down to it, narna is basically her merch, and her tutoring business probably wouldn't work nearly as well if she didn't have her channel to reach students eager to be just like her. Eve's Millennial Coffee Club also kind of showed that yeah sure, you can do this stuff as March, but it won't really be a standalone company. How would Pumpkin Productivity even reach people if Ruby stopped making videos?

At the same time, many of them have run a proper business. That was possie because they come from a pretty privileged background where developing a YT channel and advertising 0 hour contract aps rather than working long hours in minimum wage jobs is an option - but all the same, they have developed brands, identified and catered to a particular audience, developed marketable products etc. This could be useful for breaking into non-study tube careers, but it's probably more suited for some careers than others. If you don't want to pursue the business side of things, you'd probably have to give up a lot more than if you were to go down an entrepreneurial, start-up route...

I guess the nature of a studytube channel is that it's temporary - sooner or later you're going to leave education and at that point the studytuber either changes the focus of their channel or stops making videos.
Thing is, our RooBee could do so much more post studytube - she could do booktube if she showed us the more critical overviews she has of books she has read (she must be able to do it as she gets high marks in her essays), she could become a lifestyle and sustainability based channel, she could go down the vegan recipe route (would be a good way to demonstrate that she does have a healthy lifestyle despite what she shows us, because she definitely tries to point out that she does!) she could branch out so many different ways, but she just doesn't seem to know which way to go. I certainly didn't know at 21, but the nature of being an influencer is that you do need to make these sort of decisions and I feel like they're really hard for Ruby because she doesn't know herself what she wants to be and how she wants to present herself.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I've been following her threads for a few weeks but this is my first time posting - to me, she comes across as a nice person but I honestly feel like she kind of lacks... guidance? She runs a successful study channel but her very long study hours are so counterproductive. I remember when I was younger, in school, and had this mentality that to do well in school I had to go over all my notes many times and read every single book on the topic out there. As I grew up and so did the amount of content I had to apprehend, I tested out other strategies and eventually found something that worked for me. Not saying that my uni + masters experience had been the smoothest, but it wasn't also super stressful.

People learn in different ways, but studying 8+ hours a day is not the way and I find it not only quite worrying that that's the example she portrays but also... doesn't she know better? She gives me impression that she's good at memorising stuff but not the best at connecting topics, coming up with new ideas. She must get good grades in Exeter because she spends four times the amount of time an average student spends on an essay and must follow the requirements to the dot, but I do wonder if she's able to come up with smart arguments and innovative ideas in a academic debate on the spot.

I wonder if Ruby will ever completely move to Tiktok instead. The Youtube algorithm is tit, way too many sponsored videos and many people are now on Tiktok as a result of the pandemic. There are plenty of people posting routine videos or niche content about the victorians on there, surely she'll atleast have some success there if she starts posting more reguraly?

Reactions: 3
I've been following her threads for a few weeks but this is my first time posting - to me, she comes across as a nice person but I honestly feel like she kind of lacks... guidance? She runs a successful study channel but her very long study hours are so counterproductive. I remember when I was younger, in school, and had this mentality that to do well in school I had to go over all my notes many times and read every single book on the topic out there. As I grew up and so did the amount of content I had to apprehend, I tested out other strategies and eventually found something that worked for me. Not saying that my uni + masters experience had been the smoothest, but it wasn't also super stressful.

People learn in different ways, but studying 8+ hours a day is not the way and I find it not only quite worrying that that's the example she portrays but also... doesn't she know better? She gives me impression that she's good at memorising stuff but not the best at connecting topics, coming up with new ideas. She must get good grades in Exeter because she spends four times the amount of time an average student spends on an essay and must follow the requirements to the dot, but I do wonder if she's able to come up with smart arguments and innovative ideas in a academic debate on the spot.
I have wondered whether her parents wanted to raise 'free-range' children i.e. giving them barely any guidance so they can find themselves and learn from trial and error. They seem like the quasi-bohemian/hippie types to do that kind of thing.

Reactions: 9
I wonder if Ruby will ever completely move to Tiktok instead. The Youtube algorithm is tit, way too many sponsored videos and many people are now on Tiktok as a result of the pandemic. There are plenty of people posting routine videos or niche content about the victorians on there, surely she'll atleast have some success there if she starts posting more reguraly?
You're definitely right about there being way too many sponsored videos (I swear to God the next time I have to hear someone rabbiting on about Skillshare or Hello Fresh...)! Sorry, I don't have TikTok so I'm not too sure how it works, but I thought you could only do videos up to thirty seconds or something like that? You can't show off all your birthday presents in such a short amount of time if you're Ruby...

Reactions: 8

My flatmate last year was on the same course as Ruby - same uni, same year, same modules. We'd watch her videos for a laugh as her uni experience was waaay different to ours... It sounds awful, but we would NEVER have said anything malicious to her - neither online or in person.

My flatmate would get so annoyed at her because they knew exactly what work had been set, yet Ruby was doing so much additional and unnecessary reading and work.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
My flatmate last year was on the same course as Ruby - same uni, same year, same modules. We'd watch her videos for a laugh as her uni experience was waaay different to ours... It sounds awful, but we would NEVER have said anything malicious to her - neither online or in person.

My flatmate would get so annoyed at her because they knew exactly what work had been set, yet Ruby was doing so much additional and unnecessary reading and work.
I should also probably add that yes, I went to Exeter but I don't go there anymore.

I should also add that yes, I did see Ruby. I walked past her in the street but didn't speak to her or anything. It was actually on this day (I recognise the outfit):

And I am CONVINCED that, had she been holding the camera more steadily, you would have seen me at 0:35-0:38 because that's where I passed her.

The only thing I took away from this brief encounter is that she is MUCH smaller in real life. In fact she's actually really quite small.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.