Roadside Mum

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
omg, yes to rs archer! (i couldn't remember the name, but remember the threads)

I was also just thinking she reminds me of the permanently online protagonist of No One Is Talking About This

• Haha
Reactions: 7
It couldn't have been RN and RL who the babysitter was for, both are no older than 11 - upper end of primary in the prostitute yarn - so they are born 2010 onwards. So RD was a vegan before the kids were born, but the tweet thread reads as though one of the kids converted him.
Indeed, and the deceased son passed 23 years ago, and Roadside Eldest cannot and must not eat junk food like Pizza Hut, especially if there is a risk of camera flashes

!!Throws hands in air, in disarray!!

Reactions: 9
Indeed, and the deceased son passed 23 years ago, and Roadside Eldest cannot and must not eat junk food like Pizza Hut, especially if there is a risk of camera flashes

!!Throws hands in air, in disarray!!
We need a blimmin timeline. Wasnt she a teen mum in the mid 90s or something?

Oh my god.

I just read through this whole thread. I hadn't taken much interest in RSM before, but bleeping hell, what a headcase!

I think many of her anecdotes are like Jack's - hours/days later they think "oh, I could have said X" or "it would've been mad if Y happened" then report it as fact. It's easy to go from "I wish I'd kicked that annoying man in the shins!" to "then I kicked him in the shins!!! Take that, patriarchy!" and a lot of RSM's stories have the same vibe.

Incidentally, I just stumbled across an article entitled Why the #VanLife trend is hurting Gypsy, Roma & Traveller communities which I'm sure RSM would have a lot to say about...if that weren't one of her favourite hashtags, that is.

I'll link it because it's an interesting read: https://www.euronews.com/travel/202...d-is-hurting-gypsy-roma-traveller-communities

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
25 March 19
Sigh... 🤦 She's missing the point entirely there. There are different, very distinct groups that fall under the GRT umbrella. New Age Travellers and the "hippies of the 60s" 🙄 are not included in that, as they are people that have simply chosen to adopt a nomadic lifestyle, nothing more. It has everything to do with race and ethnicity, you can't just adopt a nomadic lifestyle and then declare yourself to be a Gypsy or Traveller. The caravan maketh not the Gypsy 🤷. I note at the end there she won't identify beyond traveller (small t) which seems to suggest that she is just someone that has opted to live 'roadside', someone that travels, rather than her being under the GRT umbrella. It shows.

Just ETA - IF that is the case with her then this is where she's very problematic. She's adopting a GRT Identity when she isn't, and her behaviour and aggressive manner does not do us any bloody favours at all! Go away 'Roadside' Mum!!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
Sigh... 🤦 She's missing the point entirely there. There are different, very distinct groups that fall under the GRT umbrella. New Age Travellers and the "hippies of the 60s" 🙄 are not included in that, as they are people that have simply chosen to adopt a nomadic lifestyle, nothing more. It has everything to do with race and ethnicity, you can't just adopt a nomadic lifestyle and then declare yourself to be a Gypsy or Traveller. The caravan maketh not the Gypsy 🤷. I note at the end there she won't identify beyond traveller (small t) which seems to suggest that she is just someone that has opted to live 'roadside', someone that travels, rather than her being under the GRT umbrella. It shows.
I use to work with two traveller girls in a cafe when i was at university. They are intensely private people and literally told you want you needed to know.

She seems to tell the world everything. Confusing!

Reactions: 16
I use to work with two traveller girls in a cafe when i was at university. They are intensely private people and literally told you want you needed to know.

She seems to tell the world everything. Confusing!
Indeed, it was another of the things that didn't add up about her. I thought it was strange too that she refers to her caravan as a "van", as that isn't Gypsy/Traveller terminology at all, we drive vans, we do not live in them 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Just ETA - IF that is the case with her then this is where she's very problematic. She's adopting a GRT Identity when she isn't, and her behaviour and aggressive manner does not do us any bloody favours at all! Go away 'Roadside' Mum!!
I cringed reading that series of tweets. If you define traveller as "someone who travels", you minimise the huge discrimination that GRT people suffer, whether travelling or settled. New Age hippies do not, as far as I'm aware, face enormous inequalities in education and healthcare; nor do politicians ignore their needs and treat them as pests.

(My dream is now for some unthinking organisation to hire RSM and Jack Monroe to give workshops about discrimination their own personal litanies of woes on its Diversity Day. Please make it happen!)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
We had a VW campervan years ago, and a Mazda bongo more recently until we left the UK. Both those owner groups call them vans- nothing to do with travellers. It's a reddit/ insta thing isn't it #vandwelling - performative working on the road from a laptop and any the tiny house styling.

Reactions: 16
That was a long and boring thread.

RM notes that she 'passes', but one chaos she reported on twitter was a long fall-out from a racist incident she had suffered in the supermarket for looking like a traveller. She explained there had been no other reason/provocation but she looked like a traveller and it had been enough for the staff to immediately take against her and support the person who had been racist.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
That was a long and boring thread.

RM notes that she 'passes', but one chaos she reported on twitter was a long fall-out from a racist incident she had suffered in the supermarket for looking like a traveller. She explained there had been no other reason/provocation but she looked like a traveller and it had been enough for the staff to immediately take against her and support the person who had been racist.
Quoting myself because I can't edit.

RM went from 'I pass' in March 2019, to using her platform to call out Morrisons in June 2020 for their racist profiling of her. I remember a lot of tweets, but they didn't seem to get linked.

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Why is everything such a drama just be glad she doesn’t have the nuclear codes

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Quoting myself because I can't edit.

RM went from 'I pass' in March 2019, to using her platform to call out Morrisons in June 2020 for their racist profiling of her. I remember a lot of tweets, but they didn't seem to get linked.
Why do I feel like when she says she’s horrifically abused, I feel like what she means is that she threw the first insult. From her Twitter I get the impression she loses her rag verrrrry quickly and aggressively which would make any sane person defensive.

Reactions: 13
The one in which RM becomes a Companies House Investigator in case FSM Consultant doesn't work out
22 Feb 21 long, long thread. Not all of it is here, I skipped the last 2 orc3 scrrens

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Why do I feel like when she says she’s horrifically abused, I feel like what she means is that she threw the first insult. From her Twitter I get the impression she loses her rag verrrrry quickly and aggressively which would make any sane person defensive.
Quite. You can just imagine her and the Krays in a shop (if any of what she ever says is true) throwing her weight around rudely and hoping to be offended.
Somebody even looking at her askance probably counts as horrific abuse.

Reactions: 11
The one in which RM becomes a Companies House Investigator in case FSM Consultant doesn't work out
22 Feb 21 long, long thread. Not all of it is here, I skipped the last 2 orc3 scrrens
Saying it’s £30 to feed her kids is so manipulative. To spin it another way, I’ve seen her mentioning smoking before, so it’s a couple less packets of fags for her too. But that doesn’t have quite the same impact.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
She is very boring.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Saying it’s £30 to feed her kids is so manipulative. To spin it another way, I’ve seen her mentioning smoking before, so it’s a couple less packets of fags for her too. But that doesn’t have quite the same impact.
RM quit smoking! (Ages ago, before this exciting shopping expedition) She could have checked her bank statements earlier, too

Haaaa yes

Attachments

• Sick
  • Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.