Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Wooh

VIP Member
I got a full cash refund of a book that I pledged for which was never published, so I think the refund policy which you linked to is for "I've changed my mind", rather than "this project was cancelled by Unbound". I can't remember the exact details now, but I think I had to respond within a particular timeframe to the "this book is being cancelled" email (a month?) in order to get a cash refund rather than credit to support a different book.

If anyone were to request a refund of their pledge to One in Five now it would go as credit to your account.
Thanks, excellent clarity (or clarification, I can't decide which!)

Reactions: 4
My guess is a quick trip to Liverpool/Peterborough and currently reclining on a Balearic beach front sipping on an all inclusive weak voddie and coke. With her nails done. And in her costume she was surprised by how amazing she looked last year in. And wild horses would never drag it out of her because she doesn’t want to risk the rattle rattle and cashapp beer money.
If she has and she's taken LO out of school with about a week to go (depending where she is) right after putting her in at the end of term, I'd judge that more than anything. Talk about upheaval for the child.

FlashBoof

VIP Member
Yes, post-exertion malaise, the totally disproportionate crash you get hours or days after doing too much.
Nobody is perfect, but I would never schedule her events for today all on the same day. God knows what she’s been up to already to cause this BEFORE a stupidly busy day.
I see - I have a good friend with Fibromyalgia and I have seen first hand the lengths she had to go to to maintain a job and it is usually at the expense of all the nice things she would like to be doing.

I will never get my head around her having “a busy week” with the non essentials at the expense of her kids not having lunch made or getting to school on time.

I don’t believe more than 10% of it to be fair but still - she is the exact sort that make Lee Anderson look viable with his rants about veg gardens being their food bank and working three jobs to keep off benefits. As I said in the Bex thread. She gives decent folk a bad name .☹

• Heart

FlashBoof

VIP Member
She is no doubt volcanic with jealousy and rage every time someone gets some traction or engagement on HER picture (TM). She was so very very ill a couple of days ago that she could barely function. Stil raged about this though. And again.

Still, at least she has the kids to take her rage out on. 😞

Attachments

• Sad
  • Sick

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
The previous LA will act on it once they disappear, because the school has to notify them of EHE as well. If you actually read the CME (Children Missing From Education) policies for LAs (I don't expect anybody who doesn't literally do this sort of shit for a living to, but it completely contradicts the perception of EHE and moving = freedom from pesky child protection procedures), they all require schools to notify them of this before they have permission to remove them from their registers. As soon as this happens, the original CME team then get checking for the change of address and when it's found - which it will be, you don't get benefits including housing costs without evidencing a new address - they notify the new area which is, being Scotland, very, very thorough about these things. And that's before you add in the information provided with the risk assessments and potential SS involvement when this all gets put together.

Oh, and they'll contact RD as well. Best not to piss him off too much when you're already taking his children away from him, eh?
See, I knew it wouldn’t be simple to just disappear

• Heart

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
BIB: she has, in fairness, been completely open about the fact that Louisa Britain is a pseudonym as much as RoadsideMum is ever since she started using it and she has been consistent with the reasoning being she’s got an abusive ex-partner. That reason may be a lie but she’s been very open about it not being her name.

I agree it’s time to call it a day on the project though, it’s clearly not happening.
---

Quoting myself like a ninny to add evidence she’s called it a pen name before
Yeah to be fair she used a different L name right at the start (Linda? Lindsey?) and just added Britain as a surname to her fake name. It’s absolutely fair enough if you don’t want to use your name in the media. However she does get people cash app ing her a lot…

Was she engaging @MurielSnark and into the book project, or just hoping to sadfish cash from you?

alphaspagbol

Chatty Member
There’s no half term week for schools here in Scotland so I wonder if we’ll be hearing school woes any time soon.

MurielSnark

VIP Member
I've funded a lot of books via unbound and this is the only one I can remember having problems caused by the author. It's the first one where I've sent a complaint to the publisher and it's the first one where I've requested that my pledge be refunded. One book wasn't published due to external reasons, and one book wasn't published because the author didn't hit their pledge target.

I'm not massively familiar with the author side of things, but as I understand it, Unbound firstly and obviously expect you to have a solid book proposal. Secondly I think they expect you to have a certain amount of reach on social media, because you will, after all, be pitching the book to your followers in the hope that they will pledge so the book gets funded. Unbound also support you in the marketing on social media. All the authors I've pledged have provided regular updates on the process (not "the dog ate my homework," ones, but "I handed over the manuscript last week, here's what happens next," or "here's an interesting snippet I found in my research," and so on).

The way Unbound have let this project get away from them is disappointing and I hope they are able to rescue it without Louisa's input.
Did they refund you @Witchfinder Sargeant?

Of COURSE you have, duckie- because you are always milling around “homeless tents”.

These people really are living a totally fantastic life in the literal sense of the word.
I presume she means the insulated bags meant to keep things either warm or cold. Can’t think of any reason those might be useful to a homeless person living in a tent, of course it must mean they are working for deliveroo rather than maybe trying to store food or milk and keep it vaguely temp controlled in one of the only ways they can… when Sainsbury’s did the chilled food bags (other supermarkets are available and have the same I’m sure) I saw those next to tents or next to people on the streets.

• Haha
Thanks, excellent clarity (or clarification, I can't decide which!)
It's possible that the refund policy has changed, the book I funded that didn't happen was cancelled a while ago, but if the book is cancelled completely I think they have to offer a cash refund.

I've funded a number of books via Unbound and One in Five is the only one which as been beset by so many delays with such flimsy excuses.

Does anything ever go right for this perpetual victim?

The story stinks. Maybe I'm wrong but do bank fraud teams have the time to be ringing people up? I'm with nationwide and they're very cautious but they just block my card if they suspect fraud. I'm the one that has to ring them to sort it, they don't call me.

Maybe she has legitimately been scammed? And if so, that's called karma.
It was a while ago it happened to me admittedly, but TSB definitely called me. An automated call asking me to contact them which I then did.

Mr Krabs

VIP Member
I thought his response about the book not being a scam was in reply to that plant lady who does recipes. Looks like she had a kickstarter at some point.