Pregnancy #9 we love carbs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Apparently there is a sleep nest by Purflo that has been approved / recommended for overnight sleep. It looks similar to Sleepyheads so I’m going to get one of those as everyone I know has sworn by the sleepyhead but I’ll feel better having something I know meets current rules.
Ah thank you for this!! Just had a look on Boots and one of them is reduced from £65 to £45 :)

Reactions: 5
I had a little cry to my partner last night thinking about how overwhelming it’s going to be bringing a baby home. I’m so excited but it is SUCH a big adjustment, I know how you feel.

Have you done any classes? I think someone mentioned it in here before but there’s a free online class every Saturday with The Baby Academy. They cover things like cord care, baths, changing, sleeping etc. I’ve signed up for next Saturday as I haven’t got a clue either!
Yeah I’m so excited too but it’s a big change and there’s so much to know. Hard not to feel overwhelmed now and then isn’t it.

I’m booked onto virtual antenatal classes from my county services but haven’t got a date for those yet and yes I was going to do that baby academy course in June or July. Heard it’s really good so look forward to hearing your thoughts next weekend.

Having one of those days where I feel a bit clueless about what to do with a baby. Like figuring out routines with changing / feeding etc. I’m sure it’ll all come together after a couple of days and it’ll just become second nature to know what to do but right now I feel super clueless.
Yess I feel you! I was doing some research on reusable nappies as I really want to give them a go and some of the websites said to make sure you buy 30 nappies so you can do up to 12 changes per day. Every two hours 😐 (obviously I know babies need changing very often but this put it in perspective a bit!)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Gosh the worry about what to do with a baby is so real. When the midwives put me on the ward I was terrified for them to leave as I had literally no idea what to put him in. Or what to do. Theh laughed (in a nice way!) gave me a hug and I was like how have they left me to look after this tiny baby 😂
I didn’t even realise the nappies had blue indicators to show they’ve wet them until the midwives asked me how many wet nappies he had an I was like how would I know?!

But I promise in time it comes. It feels so alien and weird to start with but you learn your own baby very quickly and it’s like riding a bike or driving - you don’t even think about it! You lovely ladies have got this x

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Yess I feel you! I was doing some research on reusable nappies as I really want to give them a go and some of the websites said to make sure you buy 30 nappies so you can do up to 12 changes per day. Every two hours 😐 (obviously I know babies need changing very often but this put it in perspective a bit!)
The amount of nappies we (I used to work with one of the nappy libraries) used to quote was minimum 24 - 12 on the bum, 12 in the wash. That includes if you want to do overnight too. I don’t (haven’t found anything that stands up to my champion pissers!) so I would use about 7/8 nappies a day. I currently have 20 nappies for a younger baby, and I wash every day and a half. But they very quickly draw it out to only needing 5 or so changes a day (again not including nights) so then I could have fewer nappies, but I just wash less frequently. You can always buy some and see how you get on, and add more in if you find you need them.

Reactions: 1
Gosh the worry about what to do with a baby is so real. When the midwives put me on the ward I was terrified for them to leave as I had literally no idea what to put him in. Or what to do. Theh laughed (in a nice way!) gave me a hug and I was like how have they left me to look after this tiny baby 😂
I didn’t even realise the nappies had blue indicators to show they’ve wet them until the midwives asked me how many wet nappies he had an I was like how would I know?!

But I promise in time it comes. It feels so alien and weird to start with but you learn your own baby very quickly and it’s like riding a bike or driving - you don’t even think about it! You lovely ladies have got this x
That’s so reassuring thanks. I’ve also been worrying about this! I feel like antenatal classes are all well and good but at the end of the day the baby has to come out and there are doctors and midwives to take over if need be but nearly everyone I know has the same panic about not really knowing what to do with a baby but these online classes are the first I’ve heard of of the sort! Definitely going to sign up so thank you. My friend sent a congratulations card and in it wrote “when things get hard I try to remember that some really f*d up people have managed to raise some amazing kids so if they can do it then you definitely can” which, unpoetic as it may be, is what I try and think of. I just worry I’ll forget obviously practical things - I didn’t know that a baby needed a vest under everything even pyjamas! Also had no idea nappies had that kind of “technology”. My Nan asked me today if I needed a top and tail bowl and I had to google what it was!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Having one of those days where I feel a bit clueless about what to do with a baby. Like figuring out routines with changing / feeding etc. I’m sure it’ll all come together after a couple of days and it’ll just become second nature to know what to do but right now I feel super clueless.
I remember before my 3rd came along I had a proper panic about how to know when they would need changed and fed. And I’d done it twice before! I think everyone has that panic at times, and certainly as a FTM it is more overwhelming. But you have it 100% when you say it will come as second nature soon enough, so try not to let yourself fret too much.

Reactions: 4
Sending you a hug. I sympathise I thought I was getting better but I seem to be getting worse again 😪.
Have you got anything from your Dr? I am considering ringing mu gp in the morning, I have my scan on Wed but I'm not even keeping water down today and I'm a bit worried

• Sad
That’s so reassuring thanks. I’ve also been worrying about this! I feel like antenatal classes are all well and good but at the end of the day the baby has to come out and there are doctors and midwives to take over if need be but nearly everyone I know has the same panic about not really knowing what to do with a baby but these online classes are the first I’ve heard of of the sort! Definitely going to sign up so thank you. My friend sent a congratulations card and in it wrote “when things get hard I try to remember that some really f*d up people have managed to raise some amazing kids so if they can do it then you definitely can” which, unpoetic as it may be, is what I try and think of. I just worry I’ll forget obviously practical things - I didn’t know that a baby needed a vest under everything even pyjamas! Also had no idea nappies had that kind of “technology”. My Nan asked me today if I needed a top and tail bowl and I had to google what it was!
I didn’t either! There is so much on the market for babies it is so overwhelming too because you assume most of it you’d need when it’s not the case at all, it’s down to preference and what people want to use or not!

The feeling is so overwhelming, but you also have a fantastic instinct about what your baby needs and when and it does kick in. I promise every parent sits and stares at that newborn for the first time and how they’ll manage but we slowly get there ❤

• Heart
Please can I ask the stupidest question ever?

When baby wakes up crying for a feed.. do I feed him first or change him first?

I havent been able to keep a single thing down today, just when I thought it was easing 😭😭😭😭
I've been the exact same today, celebrating hitting 24 weeks. What a nightmare. I hope it eases up for you, it's so horrible feeling so poorly x

• Heart
The amount of nappies we (I used to work with one of the nappy libraries) used to quote was minimum 24 - 12 on the bum, 12 in the wash. That includes if you want to do overnight too. I don’t (haven’t found anything that stands up to my champion pissers!) so I would use about 7/8 nappies a day. I currently have 20 nappies for a younger baby, and I wash every day and a half. But they very quickly draw it out to only needing 5 or so changes a day (again not including nights) so then I could have fewer nappies, but I just wash less frequently. You can always buy some and see how you get on, and add more in if you find you need them.
This is reassuring - thanks!! I joined the cloth nappy Facebook site to try and absorb some information and some posters on there own 50-60 nappies...😳

Reactions: 1
I've been the exact same today, celebrating hitting 24 weeks. What a nightmare. I hope it eases up for you, it's so horrible feeling so poorly x
Have you got anything from your Dr for it? I keep panicking as the NHS website says you should go to the hospital if you're not able to keep down water😭😭

Please can I ask the stupidest question ever?

When baby wakes up crying for a feed.. do I feed him first or change him first?
Oh god I can’t remember 😂 I think if it was wet I would feed and change after he was milk drunk as changing a screaming baby is never a fun task (especially boys when the cold gets to them and they can pee in your face) but if it was a poop I’d change because my son would get nappy rash quite quickly

Have you got anything from your Dr? I am considering ringing mu gp in the morning, I have my scan on Wed but I'm not even keeping water down today and I'm a bit worried
No luckily I can keep water down. I get my sickness in the evening so can normally manage some cereal in the morning and a small lunch before the nausea starts. My dating scan is on Friday and I think part of my nausea this week is anxiety leading up to it!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
This is reassuring - thanks!! I joined the cloth nappy Facebook site to try and absorb some information and some posters on there own 50-60 nappies...😳
It’s easy to get carried away! Back when my eldest was born Bumgenius were really popular and released loads of limited edition prints. People would be paying £60+ To get one shipped over from America, and I definitely paid way too much for some of them. I would say in total I own probably around 50, but some are size ones so quickly outgrown. And last year I gave away probably about 20 I hadn’t used in years! Definitely try and stay sensible with it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.