Pregnancy #53

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
At home? The midwife I spoke to said I’d have to go into hospital and have it for 45 minutes then go in a couple days later and have same thing again
No my roommate in hospital. She was told it wouldn’t take long but it was hours, so I’d definitely confirm how long it takes.

Reactions: 1
Has anyone had their gestational diabetes test with a kit at home rather the drink? They’ve just phoned me to say I can have a home kit rather than the drink because of my hyperemesis but didn’t really explain any more other than I’ll find out at my appt what that involves. But that’s 3 weeks away and I’m impatient 😁

Has anyone had to go into hospital to get an iron infusion with an IV drip? My hospital has just rang saying my iron levels are still really low and the iron tablets aren’t even touching the sides even though I’m taking them everyday so they want me to start iron infusions. They said someone would contact me with a start date but I just got off the phone and cried 😂 Only cos I’m feeling hormonal anyway, I know it’s probs not even that bad
I had one a few days after giving birth to my first, it was during the lockdown and they were struggling to get hold of the drip. I ended up having it at 2am and was fuming because I still hadn’t slept up until that point 😂

It honestly was fine other than I had a blockage so it briefly caused some swelling in my wrist and the infusion itself made me feel extremely shaky for the first couple of minutes! I don’t think that’s a common side effect though. You will definitely notice a huge difference afterwards so it’s worth it.

• Heart
Hello everyone, I'm new to this thread I just got my positive test yesterday. I am so nervous I'm hoping talking to a message board full of lovely people will help calm me down a bit over the next few months.

I'm 35, this will be my third. I have a 14yo and 10yo and I suffered a late miscarriage in 2018. Been trying again since and it's finally happened.

Obviously I'm very early on (6 weeks ish) but I'm taking one day at a time before I allow myself to get too excited or start thinking forward incase this one doesn't make it.

Should I wait until I'm closer to 12 weeks before I make any appointments with a midwife? I'll need to see my doctor soon because I had a heart attack 6 months ago and I'm on a lot of medication.

Also, I have an indoor cat. Should I avoid changing the litter for the foreseeable?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hello everyone, I'm new to this thread I just got my positive test yesterday. I am so nervous I'm hoping talking to a message board full of lovely people will help calm me down a bit over the next few months.

I'm 35, this will be my third. I have a 14yo and 10yo and I suffered a late miscarriage in 2018. Been trying again since and it's finally happened.

Obviously I'm very early on (6 weeks ish) but I'm taking one day at a time before I allow myself to get too excited or start thinking forward incase this one doesn't make it.

Should I wait until I'm closer to 12 weeks before I make any appointments with a midwife? I'll need to see my doctor soon because I had a heart attack 6 months ago and I'm on a lot of medication.

Also, I have an indoor cat. Should I avoid changing the litter for the foreseeable?
Congratulations!
In my area you have to self refer between 6-8 weeks so they can book the midwife booking in appointment and subsequently your 12 week scan. I had to do the self referral via a form on the hospital's website in the maternity section then call to book after.

Definitely stop touching the cat litter and if you absolutely have to, gloves and a mask.

Six to eight weeks for the midwife so get an appointment booked soon.
I kept changing the cattray but bought gloves. If they’re indoor it’s less of an issue.

Last edited:

Congratulations! I think definitely self refer asap if you can do it in your area! If not contact your GP and get them to refer you as generally your first midwife appt will be anywhere between 8-10 weeks (usually before 10 weeks for bloods)

I have a heart condition and my midwife requested I contact my cardiologist to let him know I was pregnant. He has since organised an appointment for me with a colleague at a cardiology clinic they run at the maternity hospital.

Can't believe it's the year we are meeting baby girl!! 18 weeks to go now. Not sure when to go on maternity leave, I'm fit and healthy so far and have a desk job which I enjoy so nothing strenuous. I've researched so much baby stuff feeding, bathing, labour etc but I have no idea about maternity leave, pay, entitlement etc whoops lol
I'm due 6th March and have set my maternity leave to start from my due date. I am, however, going to take two weeks annual leave before. I found with my first that I had mentally checked out by that point and the baby brain was in full effect so couldn't properly focus. Having the mat leave kick in on your due date means the pay calculations for SMP are calculated from that point and as such maximises the leave. My company offer different packages and I plumped with the one that gave me the most money 😂 I'll be returning to work before 12 months is up because I can't afford to have no money, plus with my first I'd gone a little bit nuts and needed some grown up contact. Your best bet is to read up on the company family policy first and go from there.

I was the same 25 never been in hospital!! And I actually loved the hospital stay when baby was born I wanted to stay longer😆 meals and drinks brought to you all day and help from the nurses it was bliss!!
That's great to hear, defo will appreciate the nurses help I'm sure! honestly looking it like a mini break for now 😂

I'm gluten free so hoping I get offered some decent grub lol, I noticed the hospital cafe does gf cakes which is fab haha they obvs have to cater to allergies!

• Heart
That's great to hear, defo will appreciate the nurses help I'm sure! honestly looking it like a mini break for now 😂

I'm gluten free so hoping I get offered some decent grub lol, I noticed the hospital cafe does gf cakes which is fab haha they obvs have to cater to allergies!
Honestly my hospitals food was lush!

If you do stay over hospitals will have to provide a coeliac menu option. May just be a jacket potato and cheese and beans but it should be offered 😊

I’ve just booked into the free Baby Academy online courses running this month on breastfeeding and baby first aid. Might be worth a look for others too if you aren’t aware. I went to the Baby Care Class before Christmas and found it really helpful as a first time expectant mum!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
If you do stay over hospitals will have to provide a coeliac menu option. May just be a jacket potato and cheese and beans but it should be offered 😊

I’ve just booked into the free Baby Academy online courses running this month on breastfeeding and baby first aid. Might be worth a look for others too if you aren’t aware. I went to the Baby Care Class before Christmas and found it really helpful as a first time expectant mum!
Sounds lovely, I love a jacket potatoe 😂 Ahh fab thanks so much! Do you book into like a time slotted class? X

Honestly my hospitals food was lush!
Our hospital food was nice as well! We always went to the cafe when I was pregnant with my first, when I found out I was pregnant this time round one of the first things my fella said was ‘at least we can get the food at the hospital again’ 😂

Reactions: 2

I did a couple of classes with my first and have rebooked two for this baby. I found them really great especially as my first was born during covid so there were no groups, no nct, nothing.

The baby academy classes are great but the important one you have to pay for (first aid) 😄. However, the St John’s ambulance videos on YouTube are great for basic baby first aid if you don’t want to pay.

Our hospital food was nice as well! We always went to the cafe when I was pregnant with my first, when I found out I was pregnant this time round one of the first things my fella said was ‘at least we can get the food at the hospital again’ 😂
Yeah when we had to keep going back and forth for a week for baby Fudge’s blood tests for his jaundice we went to the canteen every time while waiting for the results 😆 so cheap aswell!!

Random questions… I am 12 weeks and have had minimal symptoms, slight nausea, tender breasts… that’s about it! I have been reading that you can get less symptoms with a boy compared to a girl. Any mommas out there who can support this or prove it to be fake? 😂

Random questions… I am 12 weeks and have had minimal symptoms, slight nausea, tender breasts… that’s about it! I have been reading that you can get less symptoms with a boy compared to a girl. Any mommas out there who can support this or prove it to be fake? 😂
I’ve got a son and I’m pregnant with a girl. I’ve had many symptoms with both and both very different. Every pregnancy is different though and some people just barely have any symptoms compared to others

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.