Pregnancy #45

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And I just wanted to say that when I was pregnant someone on here suggested love heart sweets and I have no idea why but they definitely helped for some reason
Thank you!! Im willing to try anything at this point, it’s hit me out of nowhere 😅

I’ve seen duff advice from regular posters on here, particularly over the last few days, especially when advice differs from trust to trust and you get people saying things like “you can drink water on your GD test”, which someone then subsequently said they weren’t even supposed to brush their teeth.
it was me said I wasn’t allowed to brush my teeth. That’s not “duff advice” it was the rules of my health and social care trust. It isn’t our fault trusts differ, obviously everyone should check with their own, but it’s just rude to them call that “duff advice”

What’s the advice thread for if no advice?

• Heart
Reactions: 14
it was me said I wasn’t allowed to brush my teeth. That’s not “duff advice” it was the rules of my health and social care trust. It isn’t our fault trusts differ, obviously everyone should check with their own, but it’s just rude to them call that “duff advice”

I think the previous poster meant that someone saying you can definitely drink water would be duff advice given that some trusts say you can't even clean your teeth - i.e. that we all need to check with our own trusts about medical tests/procedures etc, not that you were giving duff advice 🙂

Things have all got a bit heated and confusing in here over the past few days, but I hope everyone's well and that all the little bubbas are healthy 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Thank you I’ve seen others saying about omeprazole! I may have to call tomorrow and see what they say. It’s doing my head in now 🤣
I sat in bed crying about it, mr Waka didn’t understand how painful it was! I was having rennies for breakfast
There was no way I could give up fizzy drinks and chocolate like recommended 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I think the previous poster meant that someone saying you can definitely drink water would be duff advice given that some trusts say you can't even clean your teeth - i.e. that we all need to check with our own trusts about medical tests/procedures etc, not that you were giving duff advice 🙂

Things have all got a bit heated and confusing in here over the past few days, but I hope everyone's well and that all the little bubbas are healthy 😊
If you're going to ask for advice though, in a forum full of people with different experiences, you're going to get different answers.
And if you're silly enough to believe what others say on the Internet and not ask for yourself when receiving mixed answers then that isn't "duff advice" that's your own issue. .

As far as some people are aware, you can drink water because that's what they experienced, they don't know others don't allow it.

And frankly, calling anyone's advice "duff" when people are trying to help, is just down right rude.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

I wasn’t saying it was you I was saying it about someone else who said you could drink water. That was my point- the “you can drink water” is duff advice because as I said, you couldn’t even brush your teeth. I wasn’t saying what you said was duff.

I was being facetious- this is an anonymous thread, everyone either takes all advice with a pinch of salt or no advice at all.

---

If you're going to ask for advice though, in a forum full of people with different experiences, you're going to get different answers.
And if you're silly enough to believe what others say on the Internet and not ask for yourself when receiving mixed answers then that isn't "duff advice" that's your own issue. .

As far as some people are aware, you can drink water because that's what they experienced, they don't know others don't allow it.

And frankly, calling anyone's advice "duff" when people are trying to help, is just down right rude.
Sorry but why can someone call out someone else’s advice but not others? If someone says “in my experience” that’s not duff advice, but if someone outright says something that’s wrong, that’s duff.

The whole initial point was about medical professionals though. People are going to naturally be more trusting of someone claiming to be a well established midwife than someone talking about their personal experience as a patient in one hospital, of one test. That's the danger. Not someone who did or didn't brush their teeth, it's not the same.

Reactions: 7
I sat in bed crying about it, mr Waka didn’t understand how painful it was! I was having rennies for breakfast
It’s awful isn’t it, in the night too I’ve been waking up feeling like acid is sitting in my throat 🤢🤮

• Heart
I wasn’t saying it was you I was saying it about someone else who said you could drink water. That was my point- the “you can drink water” is duff advice because as I said, you couldn’t even brush your teeth. I wasn’t saying what you said was duff.

I was being facetious- this is an anonymous thread, everyone either takes all advice with a pinch of salt or no advice at all.

---

Sorry but why can someone call out someone else’s advice but not others? If someone says “in my experience” that’s not duff advice, but if someone outright says something that’s wrong, that’s duff.
Because everyone on here should know that everyone is speaking from experience.
I've had 3 tests done.
All of them, you could drink water.
That is my experience.
So yes. From my experience, you can drink water.
I have many friends that have had them done. Where you could drink water.
So that is what I answered.

The point of this was that someone claimed to be a midwife and if someone says.. I'm a midwife.. And gave advice, people will be a lot more trusting and a lot less likely to contact their own trust.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

Like @themuffinwoman said, it's the difference between sharing our own experiences or sharing things as fact where it becomes a bit murky. You'd hope people would get advice directly from their trust/midwife but sometimes people are anxious and seek out support online, and may be inclined to go with what people have presented as fact. I'm not sure it's fair to refer to those people as silly - they're just worried and need reassurance, so giving personal perspectives/experience but also advising them to speak to their midwife is the best way forward 🙂

Reactions: 2
--
To be fair though it doesn’t matter which of us you thought was wrong, we both did the exact same thing - gave our experience. Maybe a disclaimer at the start of each thread? Nobody is a medical professional (or if they are this isn’t their place of work) so it’s all lived experience advice.
Is the wiki still going?

Reactions: 5
Please can someone help me with really bad heartburn though 😅 it’s got so bad in the last few days, every time I eat it just burns and I feel so acid-y. Overnight has been the hardest 😭 I’m taking Gaviscon as and when I need to but does anyone else have any tips? I did try a glass of milk but not sure that did much 🫠
This isn’t advice but almond milk worked for me, apparently almonds can neutralise it and I was still in my lactose intolerant phase so I only drank almond milk and had no heartburn at all. Also love heart sweets apparently but I didn’t try these

• Heart
100% ask for Omeprazole, it's been an absolute life changer for me.

Mine didn't seem to have any dietary triggers (apart from tomato soup, which is the only soup I like :cry: but hey ho) and I think is more related to my baby sitting very high and pushing up my stomach, which in turn pushes up the acid. Rennies, gaviscon (when I could stomach it!) and love hearts worked for about ten minutes. The only thing I get relief from heartburn with is sipping ice cold water - again, only temporary when I'm actually sipping it - and omeprazole, which takes about an hour to kick in and then lasts for a good few days. Initially lasted about a week, now lasts about 3 - 4 days if I'm lucky but it's safe to take in pregnancy so it's not too much bother.

ETA - If it's night time then have you tried propping the head of your bed up and sleeping as propped up as you comfortably can? My mum keeps telling me to do this despite me telling her it's all day time with me (again, because of the babys position I presume).

---

Anyone stuck for baby names?
I hear Keith is coming back into fashion.
We're thinking Norman. Or Gilbert. XD

• Heart
Reactions: 2
It’s through the day and night but does wake me throughout the night 😑 I should try and do that with the mattress, I’m not sure how but I’ll have to take a look! I’ve been trying to drink water in the night when it happens but I’m already up so much for the toilet it’s never ending 🤣 I’m going to try all of the above and see if I can get any better relief!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.