Peaches Geldof

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I got the feeling Paula was liked by most people, Bob wasn't. I remember reading a magazine that the girls had been conceived the only times Bob had had a bath! There's also theories that Bob got MH bumped off as Paula was going to apply to the courts to take the girls to live with them in Australia,
didn’t he die by autoerotic asphyxiation 👀 i’m not sure how that could be disguised as anything else!

Reactions: 5
when i re-watched this video, i realised that peaches’ argument was problematic in promoting cosleeping. it’s not a subject you can soundbite easily without fully going into it, because it DOES cause cause infant deaths. when it first came out and was doing the rounds after her death, i thought she looked great and came across wonderfully but now i watch and think with age comes wisdom i guess. without katie paired with her, like you said, it wouldn’t have been as dramatic and watchable. with another co-sleeping expert or a different kind of parenting guru, peaches might not have looked so good with someone to genuinely counter her points, and can back it up.
Absolutely. Like I said, down the middle for me. No co-sleeping here (in fairness I like my own bed). However, I believe she meant what she said. I don’t have a parenting style with a label. I am a mum of 2 (4 & 6) and I have done mostly what I have felt was best for us in our situation. I so desperately wanted to breastfeed as it was drummed into me that ‘breast is best’.. my daughter lost half a pound and nearly ended up back in hospital so had no choice but to bottle feed, something that haunted me for a good year or so. I fully believe that we all do our best for our children in our own way

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Bob Geldof was never going to let his children go and live in Australia. I think the ensuing custody battle scarred everyone involved. The nanny also found drugs in Paula's home and that meant the Geldof girls went to live with Bob.

Reactions: 7
didn’t he die by autoerotic asphyxiation 👀 i’m not sure how that could be disguised as anything else!
Anything can be set to look accidental I suppose.

Bob Geldof was never going to let his children go and live in Australia. I think the ensuing custody battle scarred everyone involved. The nanny also found drugs in Paula's home and that meant the Geldof girls went to live with Bob.
I get the feeling Bob would stop at nothing to get his own way! He didn't seem reasonable, even the way he treated MH family over custody of Tiger Lily.

Reactions: 9
I don't know how anyone could defend Katie Hopkins...

Was just chatting to a friend about this and she mentioned how there were a lot of trust fund types in the camden circles who did anything they could to seem like one of the normals, while half the normals would do anything to be seen with the socialites of the town. Recipe for disaster when drugs of all sorts are around.
I'm not defending her as a person (i don't know her) and i think her views are on the whole mean spirited inaccurate but also pretty attention seeking?
I was really only referring to the this morning segment where rightly or wrongly i thought she didn't get a chance to really speak.
I'm sure a lot of people would think thats a good thing?
The fact of the matter remains though that she along with peaches was a guest on the show and should also have been allowed to have her opinion (even if we don't agree with it?).
Maybe well balanced was not the right description but maybe it seemed like that because the whole segment was chaotic and full of interuptions?
I also tried to stress the point that i didn't like the manipulative feel of the programme.
Its the fault of this morning i think trying to create drama around a topic which is of interest to mothers?
Could it be that they are not exactly respectful either?
I think its only because peaches was lauded for taking the dragon hopkins down basically given a high five when really when i watch the clip it does not seem that way at all?
Thats the point i was responding to?
Even if i dislike someone i still would like to listen to their opinion?
Basically i'm neither for or against but i thought that she had some points although i understand she thrives on controversy and combativeness which also doesn't help her come across very well.
I am sorry if any parts of my post came across as insensitive that actually was not my intention but at the same time i feel cynical because basically i think they are stereoyping women?
The young ingenue pitted against the (for wont of a better word) media bleep (witch)?
Probably they both had points to make fair enough but i will say again that peaches came across to me as being a little preachy that doesn't mean i didn't feel any sympathy towards her or that i want to go out on a limb to defend katie hopkins?
I just thought she came across as a little bit rude and entitled?
Also i happen to agree with attachment parenting and followed it with my daughter but i don't think that peaches was the best ambassador for it?

Haven’t finished reading the thread but I agree with this about Paula. I’ve also read her autobiography and used to watch her on the Tube. She’s actually very funny and self deprecating and (dare I say it) much more talented than Peaches ever was. Paula also had a chaotic upbringing. Her mother left in the care of her father when she little, who turned out not to be her actual biological father later on. She also went through the Earth mother/domestic goddess phase that Peaches was in when she died.

However, it all turned to tit when she met Michael Hutchence. She hell for leather pursued him. There was no stopping her and they were totally wrong for each other. I think she was always meant to be a bit on the side, and it was only due to Paula’s manipulation of the press that it ever came out in the open. I also don’t think they would have stayed together if he had died. From the sounds of it, he was preparing to leave her (read a good book about the whole thing written by a former friend of Paula’s)

I also don’t understand some of the martyring of Peaches. She was vacuous and talentless. I feel desperately sorry that she died and left a couple of kids behind but she had some amazing opportunities given to her that thousands of other people would’ve loved to have had yet her general attitude always seemed to be that she couldn’t be arsed. She tried at some points to be a journalist and a tv presenter but always came across like she was doing the general public a massive favour to deign to be on their tv screens. Some of the blame in that lies with Bob Geldof though. He seemed to have a laissez faire attitude to raising his kids, even after everything that happened to Paula.
Yes I agree with this - she was hotly pursuing him and would not have backed down but I don't think he would have left Helena for her. She was clever enough to make sure he had no choice about that. She did the same with Terence Trent D'Arby but kept that one under wraps for some reason. Same MO - kept showing up at his gigs and pursuing him relentlessly.

Reactions: 5
I believe Paula also took fertility drugs with Tiger Lily. I think also think perhaps it wasnt as serious a relationship for Michael Hutchence as it was for Paula. I think she also put him on a massive pedestal which obviously didnt help.

Reactions: 10
when i re-watched this video, i realised that peaches’ argument was problematic in promoting cosleeping. it’s not a subject you can soundbite easily without fully going into it, because it DOES cause cause infant deaths. when it first came out and was doing the rounds after her death, i thought she looked great and came across wonderfully but now i watch and think with age comes wisdom i guess. without katie paired with her, like you said, it wouldn’t have been as dramatic and watchable. with another co-sleeping expert or a different kind of parenting guru, peaches might not have looked so good with someone to genuinely counter her points, and can back it up.
This is why these programmes really get on my tits. Peaches Geldof was in no way a parenting expert just because she had a baby. And an opiate addict advocating co-sleeping!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me started! So many babies die because of this.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Yes I agree with this - she was hotly pursuing him and would not have backed down but I don't think he would have left Helena for her. She was clever enough to make sure he had no choice about that. She did the same with Terence Trent D'Arby but kept that one under wraps for some reason. Same MO - kept showing up at his gigs and pursuing him relentlessly.
Yep, it was Paula who phoned the press to tell them she was staying in a hotel with him overnight to force it into the open, without telling Michael she was doing it. I think Paula was still with Bob and Michael still with Helena at the point.

The Big Breakfast interview is cringeworthy. I seem to think they’d spent the night shagging before that as well and Paula was pushing him into talking about getting married to Helena in the interview. They’re both shameless.

Reactions: 12
Yep, it was Paula who phoned the press to tell them she was staying in a hotel with him overnight to force it into the open, without telling Michael she was doing it. I think Paula was still with Bob and Michael still with Helena at the point.

The Big Breakfast interview is cringeworthy. I seem to think they’d spent the night shagging before that as well and Paula was pushing him into talking about getting married to Helena in the interview. They’re both shameless.
It must have been horrific for their respective partners to see that - I can't even begin to imagine how hurtful that would be to witness.

Reactions: 14
I wonder if that actually happened or if it was one up man ship on the part of Paula after she heard about the cig. I don’t think MH’s family were very quiet about their dislike of Paula. I think at his actual funeral, Paula barged her way to the front wearing the wedding gown (dyed black) that she was going to get married to him in (although it’s very doubtful that marriage would have ever happened). I think by the end, she was fooling herself that they were going to stay a couple.

I really think that if they’d never met, or at least not had an affair, they’d both still be alive.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
I think it also spiralled really quickly. I remember Bob Geldof saying that Paula had a picture of Michael Hutchence on their fridge for years. He probably thought it was a harmless crush when it was in reality an obsession for her. Also she had 3 young children so I think BG treated it as a bit if a joke and a harmless flirtation. Also you have to remember I think Paula had an affair with Rupert Everett at some point when she was married to BG. Rupert Everett wrote about it. I know he came out as gay but they did have a sexual relationship at one point he says.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
It's interesting that you never hear about Bob having affairs. I have no doubt he was awful - he seems like such a sanctimonious prick in love with the sound of his own voice but he did seem to be quite devoted to Paula and of course he was clearly broken when she left. And all she did was say awful, humiliating things about him and drone on about how sexy Michael was. Fifi has spoken about Paula and said they did not have a good relationship at all either. It is really sad to think of how bad things were for those kids.

I think it also spiralled really quickly. I remember Bob Geldof saying that Paula had a picture of Michael Hutchence on their fridge for years. He probably thought it was a harmless crush when it was in reality an obsession for her. Also she had 3 young children so I think BG treated it as a bit if a joke and a harmless flirtation. Also you have to remember I think Paula had an affair with Rupert Everett at some point when she was married to BG. Rupert Everett wrote about it. I know he came out as gay but they did have a sexual relationship at one point he says.
Wow, I did not know that about Rupert Everett! She always made out that she was such a little homebody, devoting herself slavishly to Bob Geldof. I don’t know if she eventually wrote the book or not, but she was on Wogan talking about it and it was tips t stay married or become the perfect girlfriend or something equally ridiculous. One of the suggestions was that your partner should never see you shaving your legs in the bath.

Reactions: 6
It's interesting that you never hear about Bob having affairs. I have no doubt he was awful - he seems like such a sanctimonious prick in love with the sound of his own voice but he did seem to be quite devoted to Paula and of course he was clearly broken when she left. And all she did was say awful, humiliating things about him and drone on about how sexy Michael was. Fifi has spoken about Paula and said they did not have a good relationship at all either. It is really sad to think of how bad things were for those kids.
She really humiliated BG and he admitted he was so devastated and depressed at the end of their relationship one of his Male friends basically moved in with him to make sure he didnt harm himself. He had a breakdown I think. Also she tried to erase him from his girls lives which was totally cruel. It seems MH and PY were quite a toxic couple together.

Wow, I did not know that about Rupert Everett! She always made out that she was such a little homebody, devoting herself slavishly to Bob Geldof. I don’t know if she eventually wrote the book or not, but she was on Wogan talking about it and it was tips t stay married or become the perfect girlfriend or something equally ridiculous. One of the suggestions was that your partner should never see you shaving your legs in the bath.
Lol she was a total trip was Paula. She was also very Male identified.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Possible trigger- bed sharing and infant death
I bed share with my almost 1 year old and have done since he was born. Co-sleeping is where baby and parent(s) sleep in the same room, not the same sleep space. Bed sharing can be done safely and to me is the biological norm when done so safely! However, safe bed sharing isn’t talked about enough so therefore parents often end up falling asleep in unsafe sleep situations - such as on the sofa or in bed without a proper safe sleep set up and when parents disclose they bed share they’re often shamed or told they’re baby will die. When in fact when parents are told about the lullaby trust’s Safe Sleep 7 where the risk of SIDS is significantly reduced. However, in hindsight Peaches an opiate user should not be promoting bed sharing as drug, alcohol and smoke free parents are one of the Safe Sleep 7

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Yeah, I agree. The book I read was all full of Paula telling her friends how controlling Bob was with money, how he never did anything with the kids etc. but you have to wonder how much she was setting the scene for when she finally left him. In fact, I think the woman who wrote it eventually came to that conclusion as well. Paula seems to have been quite devious in that respect. And she never left Bob til she knew she had someone else to go to. She was talented and quirky enough in her own right, but like a few women (say Katie Price and Kerry Katona for example), they never seem happy unless they have a man, however terrible that man turns out to be.

But flaunting your lover right in front of him is perfectly fine!!! I think she did an 'earth mother' parenting guide thing as well which is hilarious.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.