Peaches Geldof

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know the media turned her into a tv presenter but Paula was just a groupie really. The story of how she snagged Bob is just tragic and sad to me. The rest of the Boomtown Rats have said it was impossible to get rid of her. It sounded like Bob had no interest in her really but she wouldn't go away.
yes! They called her the Limpet! 🤣

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Hey I’m new to the thread. I certainly had no interest in Peaches in any seriousness but followed loosely due to media etc.

I believe she was a very troubled person. Not only did she lose her mum in such a tragic way, but also very publicly. I could not imagine trying to live a life where I am constantly being compared and associated with my parents just because they are famous. Good or bad parents, she had a turbulent childhood/adolescence that led to some very bad choices later on.

Maybe she just wanted to be noticed, maybe she didn’t and it was an escape. Maybe she wanted to be normal, maybe she wanted to ‘just forget’. Either way, she can’t possibly have been in the best mental state she could have been.

By no means am I blaming/excusing mental health issues as an excuse but surely she must have had issues. How could she not?!

However, I do believe that taking heroin is a choice. Getting addicted to alcohol, gambling etc is different. It becomes something fun/sociable to an addiction very quickly. Heroin is not fun or sociable. It is quite often used as a way to forget.

I have sympathy for Peaches as she did not choose her early years, I lose SOME sympathy for her as she did choose to go down a dark path. Rightly or wrongly at the time...

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I remember Helena being on the front of GQ magazine in her underwear and the headline was ‘Seriously, would you trade her in for Paula Yates?’
I think Helena has quite a dull personality though. Saw her once on Graham Norton and she had no charisma

Reactions: 9
Paula Yates had a very quirky sense of style which was her own and was hers. It set her apart. However when she got with Michael Hutchinson she felt the need to change her image because she was unfavourably compared to the other women who were in his life like Helena Christianson and kylie Minogue. She then got veneers and breast implants. It was sad really because he obviously liked her as she was. The British Tabloid press are just bloodthirsty though. They really are. They have so much blood on their hands over the years

Paula Yates had a very quirky sense of style which was her own and was hers. It set her apart. However when she got with Michael Hutchinson she felt the need to change her image because she was unfavourably compared to the other women who were in his life like Helena Christianson and kylie Minogue. She then got veneers and breast implants. It was sad really because he obviously liked her as she was. The British Tabloid press are just bloodthirsty though. They really are. They have so much blood on their hands over the years
Sorry Michael Hutchence

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
The thing is, there's a big difference between being hooked on the party and actually being addicted to something, especially something as insidious as heroin. Lily Allen had to cut loose from the London and LA party scene and presumably do a lot of work with a therapist to sort out her dependencies and forms of escapism. Cutting lose from the parties scenes and making a decision to go straight isn't enough when you're on heroin. I'm glad to see Lily Allen seems to have finally shaken off some of her demons.

I always think if Paula Yates had lived she would be writing books and screenplays like Jane Goldman. She was a casualty of the London scene like many are.

• Heart
Paula was very cool, with her big tattoos and peroxide hair, hanging out with all the rockstars.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I think Helena has quite a dull personality though. Saw her once on Graham Norton and she had no charisma
Yeah I think so too but I also think she is really, really beautiful. And men want the Helenas I'm sorry to say. As witty and cool as Paula would have been she would have had to do the chasing.

• Wow
Yes i'm glad you mentioned this morning because i was thinking something similar.
I think katie hopkins has a media career because she plays up to this image that i believe she has deliberately created as some kind of right wing panto villian boo hiss.
Sat next to the young and beautiful angelic looking peaches she almost by comparison looks like the archetypal old crone.
I think this is part of the game and we should take people's media persona's with a pinch of salt?
Sorry i don't mean to come across as patronising because i know having the right image can be very seductive but we know that its not really the truth?
Behind the scene's Peaches was not who she pretended to be obviously she desperately wanted to be a good mum (which is why i feel sad about her) but most probably she was struggling in many different ways?
She does not admit to this but instead paints a rose tinted view of reality?
Next to this you have media rottweiler katie hopkins who is set up to challenge take down to size peaches and her fairytale parenting.
Now you can see where the sympathy is going already?
Its almost a foregone conclusion.
In fact watching it again yes katie looked bored and cynical when peaches was talking but she at least had the patience and the manners (you see thats something we are led not to expect from katie) to be quiet and wait her turn while peaches delivers a rather repetitive and rambling monologue in my opinion.
Then when its katie's turn to talk she very loudly and rudely talks over her and interupts at every single turn?
Even dismissing her (personal attack) and her opinions before she has even had a chance to speak (peaches is definately hogging the attention and also attempting to forcibly dominate the exchange).
I think she wants the kudos of being the woman that took on katie hopkins and took her down (because lets face it katies career is basically professional troll and really she is already a hate figure ?) so peaches really in my opinion has found an easy target?
Which of course makes it all the easier for peaches to virtue signal untill her heart is content but sadly people who do that are nearly always projecting their own issues insecurities and negative character traits onto other people?
Now i don't particularly like or want to defend katie hopkins i think she has said and wrote some frankly offensive inflammatory things but like a lot of outspoken caustic people i know sometimes they can have that kind of killer instinct when it comes to sensing bs.
I think she didn't believe a single thing that peaches said (but she still let her have her say) and interestingly enough i think her critique was mainly of the attachment parenting philosophy and not of peaches as a person.
So really bias aside i think hers was actually the more reasonable and balanced argument but of course a lot of people already dislike her (maybe with good reason) and so of course she can barely get a word in and whatever she says is automatically of little value because she is katie hopkins?
In a way this is a shame because if we had never heard of peaches or katie and they were strangers having a debate we would i think maybe see the whole debate differently?
We might see for example that peaches actually is pretty headstrong and a bit in love with the sound of her own voice and believes that frankly she knows better (is better) than anyone else.
Also i actually feel that this time (politics aside) katie actually was trying to make some valid and interesting points but peaches just didn't let her?
My own opinion is that maybe with time peaches could have evolved into being a fairly decent mother (we know her intentions were good) but really she was a novice when it comes to parenthood and maybe as a young mum just wanted to romanticise the whole thing?
She definitely did not wish to have a reality check of the type offered by katie hopkins and to me she actually seemed quite defensive with attack being the best form of defence in her mind.
Its an interesting subject not served very well when the media pit woman against each other just for the sake of sensationalistic viewing?
Thats highly manipulative of the media in general i think just trying to engineer a catfight?
A catfight that peaches could not resist getting involved in because it probably made her feel better about herself to defeat the foe katie hopkins.
The sad thing in all of this being that in her mind she defeated katie but she did not defeat her own inner demons?
Knowing what we know now its an uncomfortable watch and i do get the sense that peaches was just media/tabloid fodder and that she had to in a way put herself out there because she had bills to pay and was the main breadwinner?
So she had her moment but it had little substance and didn't last because she was in my opinion too unstable a personality to put down boundries or to know how to protect or look out for herself?
Again this is just my opinion based on what i've read about her but her drug use and unstable family background definitely damaged her i think?
Edit to add sorry this turned into a bit of an essay/long post but her life has always haunted people i think its because although a mother herself she was still retained a kind of aura of childlike naivete and its people's instincts to still be protective of her memory and thats something i completely understand.
I really don’t think Katie’s “argument” (if you can call it that) is reasoned or balanced at all. She may come across as more composed but the content of what she said was utter bullshit. Talking about how she could smell the breast milk and slagging off the fairly commonplace concept of baby wearing? I agree that Peaches comes across quite insistent and a bit rambly in places but you do have to remember she is only 24 years old here and probably felt she had to prove herself being around three individuals who were also parents and distinctly older and more experienced than her. I’m certainly not a Peaches fan, she clearly had demons and the 180* transformation from irritating trust fund kid to earth mother could be analysed til the cows come home, but at least I learned something about attachment parenting listening to her. Katie was literally a rent-a-gob, as Peaches calls her.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I don't know how anyone could defend Katie Hopkins...

Was just chatting to a friend about this and she mentioned how there were a lot of trust fund types in the camden circles who did anything they could to seem like one of the normals, while half the normals would do anything to be seen with the socialites of the town. Recipe for disaster when drugs of all sorts are around.

• Heart
Katie Hopkins has now become everything that she demonized. I will never forget how she demonized people in debt and food banks. Now she has declared bankruptcy. I think people underestimate just how rapidly right wing she really is. She doesnt believe maternity pay should be paid. A lot of her media persona is as a paid troll but she veered into very murky territory. There are lots of conservative columnists who have had very long and distinguished careers but she went into almost eugenics territory and is now a cautionary tale.

Reactions: 24
Katie Hopkins has now become everything that she demonized. I will never forget how she demonized people in debt and food banks. Now she has declared bankruptcy. I think people underestimate just how rapidly right wing she really is. She doesnt believe maternity pay should be paid. A lot of her media persona is as a paid troll but she veered into very murky territory. There are lots of conservative columnists who have had very long and distinguished careers but she went into almost eugenics territory and is now a cautionary tale.
Couldn’t have happened to a nicer person 👏🏻

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Does anyone actually know any of these people in real life? Bob Geldof has always been reported as being not very nice at all. It was said by a friend of Paula's that he used to belittle Paula, put her down and was very controlling.

Reactions: 15
I read Paula Yates’ autobiography last year and she came across incredibly sharp, funny, clever and self deprecating. I think she was incredibly attractive to men and as previous posters have noted, the chemistry between her and Michael Hutchence was extraordinary. All the stuff about her chasing Bob down- she was only eighteen and had had the strangest upbringing- she was definitely more than just a two bit groupie.

Went down a social media hole after reading this thread yesterday and turns out I have quite a few mutuals with Peaches and Fifi. I think Peaches was probably a pretentious brat AND horribly damaged- both things can be true.
Haven’t finished reading the thread but I agree with this about Paula. I’ve also read her autobiography and used to watch her on the Tube. She’s actually very funny and self deprecating and (dare I say it) much more talented than Peaches ever was. Paula also had a chaotic upbringing. Her mother left in the care of her father when she little, who turned out not to be her actual biological father later on. She also went through the Earth mother/domestic goddess phase that Peaches was in when she died.

However, it all turned to tit when she met Michael Hutchence. She hell for leather pursued him. There was no stopping her and they were totally wrong for each other. I think she was always meant to be a bit on the side, and it was only due to Paula’s manipulation of the press that it ever came out in the open. I also don’t think they would have stayed together if he had died. From the sounds of it, he was preparing to leave her (read a good book about the whole thing written by a former friend of Paula’s)

I also don’t understand some of the martyring of Peaches. She was vacuous and talentless. I feel desperately sorry that she died and left a couple of kids behind but she had some amazing opportunities given to her that thousands of other people would’ve loved to have had yet her general attitude always seemed to be that she couldn’t be arsed. She tried at some points to be a journalist and a tv presenter but always came across like she was doing the general public a massive favour to deign to be on their tv screens. Some of the blame in that lies with Bob Geldof though. He seemed to have a laissez faire attitude to raising his kids, even after everything that happened to Paula.

I really don’t think Katie’s “argument” (if you can call it that) is reasoned or balanced at all. She may come across as more composed but the content of what she said was utter bullshit. Talking about how she could smell the breast milk and slagging off the fairly commonplace concept of baby wearing? I agree that Peaches comes across quite insistent and a bit rambly in places but you do have to remember she is only 24 years old here and probably felt she had to prove herself being around three individuals who were also parents and distinctly older and more experienced than her. I’m certainly not a Peaches fan, she clearly had demons and the 180* transformation from irritating trust fund kid to earth mother could be analysed til the cows come home, but at least I learned something about attachment parenting listening to her. Katie was literally a rent-a-gob, as Peaches calls her.

My issue with Katie, as Peaches pointed out, was that she was ready to disagree from the start. Peaches could have said white was white and Katie would have disagreed. This Morning knew what they were doing pairing these two together. I have to say I’m split down the middle with their views on parenting. I never co slept but did baby-wear shortly when my youngest was first born as I felt a double buggy was too expensive for the six months it would have been used. The problem I had with Katie is, for the older (supposedly) more mature woman, she was degrading and bullyish. What if one of her daughters decides to go down that route/ any route other than hers when it comes to parenting? We all go by instinct most of the time. Peaches was quite good at getting her point across in regards to knowing Katie was gonna be a vulture

Reactions: 11
I was introduced briefly to Bob Geldof in the early 2000s at a Charity Gala I was invited to. So I dont know him at all but it's a bit complex really. I thought he was misogynistic if I am honest. He is quite dismissive of women, especially if he cannot put a very simple label on who they are that's the impression I got. He was abrasive and didnt really want to talk to any of the women or discuss ideas. However he also tried to keep his girls together. I know people have different opinions on what kind of job he did but I feel he tried.

Reactions: 13
My issue with Katie, as Peaches pointed out, was that she was ready to disagree from the start. Peaches could have said white was white and Katie would have disagreed. This Morning knew what they were doing pairing these two together. I have to say I’m split down the middle with their views on parenting. I never co slept but did baby-wear shortly when my youngest was first born as I felt a double buggy was too expensive for the six months it would have been used. The problem I had with Katie is, for the older (supposedly) more mature woman, she was degrading and bullyish. What if one of her daughters decides to go down that route/ any route other than hers when it comes to parenting? We all go by instinct most of the time. Peaches was quite good at getting her point across in regards to knowing Katie was gonna be a vulture
when i re-watched this video, i realised that peaches’ argument was problematic in promoting cosleeping. it’s not a subject you can soundbite easily without fully going into it, because it DOES cause cause infant deaths. when it first came out and was doing the rounds after her death, i thought she looked great and came across wonderfully but now i watch and think with age comes wisdom i guess. without katie paired with her, like you said, it wouldn’t have been as dramatic and watchable. with another co-sleeping expert or a different kind of parenting guru, peaches might not have looked so good with someone to genuinely counter her points, and can back it up.

I got the feeling Paula was liked by most people, Bob wasn't. I remember reading a magazine that the girls had been conceived the only times Bob had had a bath! There's also theories that Bob got MH bumped off as Paula was going to take the girls to live with them in Australia. Which he wouldn't get them back if she'd done that. Seemed odd they didn't live with Paula but with Bob after. Tiger and Paula were living together when she died. The others at Bobs.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.