Peaches Geldof and the Geldof family #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Parents can’t be blamed for their children’s addictions, you can help and support but you can’t fix. My son has addiction issues and is an adult, I’ve accessed so much help but until he was ready to help himself, it made no difference (he’s now older than Peaches managed to get to) it is very very easy to blame a parent when a child goes off the rails but it’s rarely lack of love or support that means the person remains a drug user.
Regarding Heavenly travelling to Australia in her 20s, seem a stretch to blame her relationship with her dad. Many people travel and relocate. And it is where her biological father was born, in no way does it scream to me, she’s getting away from BG.
---

I just think he’s an average person, has his flaws and tried to do his best. He’s no saint. But seems to me he has a loving relationship with his kids (which is hard to fake in photos) and they seem natural together. But it is all speculation.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. No decent father would allow his recently bereaved children to live in an annexe without parental guidance, imo. One thing, on its own, such as a child with addiction issues doesn't scream bad parent to me but all of the things I mentioned, combined, are suggestive of extremely neglectful parenting. Also, TL's father may have been born in Australia but her mother was born in the UK and she grew up here, with her sisters and still chose to leave, that's extremely telling, to me.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. No decent father would allow his recently bereaved children to live in an annexe without parental guidance, imo. One thing, on its own, such as a child with addiction issues doesn't scream bad parent to me but all of the things I mentioned, combined, are suggestive of extremely neglectful parenting. Also, TL's father may have been born in Australia but her mother was born in the UK and she grew up here, with her sisters and still chose to leave, that's extremely telling, to me.
Oh right I didn’t realise he put them in the annexe at 9&11 when Paula died. That would be poor parenting obviously, I hadn’t seen anything to suggest that and read it was when they were sixth form and older.
I know plenty of people who travelled post 20 and set up homes elsewhere, including moving to uk and have great relationships with their families. So perhaps we know very different kinds of people.

Reactions: 3
Am I the only one who thought Gerry Agar's book was distinctly average and didn't reveal anything we didn't already know? I mean, it was OK, but I found it distinctly meh.

Reactions: 3
Why was Bob trying to throw Paula and the kids out of the family home? Spite it appears.That’s the only home and stability his kids knew, of course he should move out as the non-residential parent.

Reactions: 6
Why was Bob trying to throw Paula and the kids out of the family home? Spite it appears.That’s the only home and stability his kids knew, of course he should move out as the non-residential parent.
I think he was a very spiteful man. He also sued PY for custody of the children after MH died. They had been separated for a number of years at this point and he still wanted to stick the knife in, rather than be friendly and try to help the mother of his children through her clear turmoil. I get that much of the suffering she was going through was self inflicted but he showed no empathy or care for the woman he was supposed to have loved. I wouldn't expect him to have been the bigger person, ordinarily, but for the fact PY was bereaved, all the stuff with Hughie Green and the press going after her. He could have taken a step back at that moment, rather than pushing forward. He is notoriously tight so I think it could have been motivated by not wanting to pay child support

Reactions: 10
Children should flee the nest and make their own way in the world. It does them no good to stay at home being molly coddled!

Tiger was apparently very close to Peaches and wrote songs about her. Maybe she chose to move to Australia to escape the memories of Peaches?

Bob talking about Peaches..

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I never understood how Bob could announce his engagement so soon after losing Peaches! It was like well we needed some good news to cheer us all up! I thought it was crass and should have been done quietly or later on at least!

Reactions: 10
I never understood how Bob could announce his engagement so soon after losing Peaches! It was like well we needed some good news to cheer us all up! I thought it was crass and should have been done quietly or later on at least!
He said he had planned to propose after 20 years on his partners birthday but then Peaches died and afterwards he thought maybe they needed something like the wedding and I agree actually. It’s something happy amongst all the sorrow.

• Wow
Reactions: 22
I never knew that until just reading it here. I would have thought losing a child would have floored him not make him think of happy things to do.

Reactions: 7
His sister & mother are/were vile, said terrible things and Tiger has refused to meet them (his Mum has passed away). She has met his brother Rhett and had contact with her Grandad before he died. Read into that what you will.

His mother abandoned Rhett completely and gave her kids a difficult childhood. She didn’t really have any right to criticise.
I’m not sure that’s correct though?

Patricia (Michael’s mother) had Tina during her first marriage, she then remarried Kelland Hutchence and had Michael and then Rhett. The family moved to HK when Michael and Rhett were young, returned to Australia when Michael was a an teen and the couple were married for 17 years - so it doesn’t seem like a horrible childhood?
Rhett has spoken about not being as close to Tina (there’s an age gap anyway and Tina relocated to the states), and he’s spoken about Patricia taking a teenage Michael to the states on a trip after his parents divorce (as part of furthering her career) and that equated to him feeling abandoned - but leaving a young kid at home with his father, isn’t the same as abandoning him in my view. I’ve never heard of the Hutchence kids having awful childhoods. To the contrary, the family seemed close when Patricia, Michael and Kelland were alive. Kelland was one of the last people to see Michael alive and Rhett remains close to his stepmother, susie (who Kelland married after his divorce from Patricia).

it was Tina (his sister) who was more critical of Paula in the piece, not his mum. She mentioned that his mum was close to his previous girlfriends whereas Paula refused to take their calls.

as for Tiger Lily’s relationship with her grandparents.. I don’t think that is reflective on them as people nor of their relationship with Michael. It was pretty selfless of them to agree to Bob having custody because it was overall better for Tiger. They also sought to protect tigers well-being when Paula had in her Australia amidst concerns of Paula’s drug use.

considering tiger was brought up in the U.K., it isn’t surprising she didn’t have a traditionally close relationship with them, and she was a child when Patricia died, so I don’t think that says much about them as people.

Reactions: 9
I am torn over Bob. He has a saintly image but there's plenty of contradictory evidence, not least TL leaving the fam behind. I can imagine he is tight. Where does he get his money from?? Royalties these days from Do They Know it's Christmas, surely?
He became hugely wealthy with his TV production company Planet 24, he sold it for £15m. He's more of a businessman these days.

Agree re Michael. Gerry Agar wrote about his insistence that the three older girls were his, which sounds horrible for BG.

Reactions: 12
Children should flee the nest and make their own way in the world. It does them no good to stay at home being molly coddled!

That’s a matter of opinion though isn’t it?
I don’t think providing a safe loving home is “mollycoddling’, when the children have suffered the amount of trauma that those girls had done.

Tiger was apparently very close to Peaches and wrote songs about her. Maybe she chose to move to Australia to escape the memories of Peaches?

Bob talking about Peaches..

I don’t really think that providing a safe, loving home where you are present is “mollycoddling’, and certainly not when the children have suffered the amount of trauma that those girls had.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I don’t really think that providing a safe, loving home where you are present is “mollycoddling’, and certainly not when the children have suffered the amount of trauma that those girls had.
What proof is there that they lived in an annexe at such a young age? I don’t believe it for a second.

Reactions: 6
TL may have copied her sisters and called BG dad but she left the country to live on the other side of the world when she was old enough. Peaches had a horrendous heroin addiction, she was given an awful lot of freedom, at a young age to go clubbing and mix with adults in a world that most of us would consider depraved. Fifi was an alcoholic who suffered with depression. He could have accessed any and all types of counselling for them when they were grieving children but he left it to the nanny to deal with, does that sound like a present and loving father? It doesn't to me.
She gets less hassle from the press and is less known in Oz. Anyway, I’d be out to that sunshine like a shot if I could. She’s young and travelling.

Fifi wasn’t an alcoholic, she misused alcohol fairly briefly after her mother died. Depression is an illness and she was diagnosed at 11 while her parents were splitting so obviously they had therapy as kids.

He put Peaches in rehab several times and she ran away.

None of them have ever said anything negative about him, just positive. And Fifi has not been very complimentary about Paula.

To be fair, Paula and Michael left him with a right shithouse any parent would struggle to deal with.
---
What proof is there that they lived in an annexe at such a young age? I don’t believe it for a second.
That was a load of bollocks. Bob bought a mansion style apartment block in Battersea and converted it into one house. Of course the papers all said ‘Oh he’s bought lots of flats so the kids are living in their own flats.’ But it wasn’t true, it was one home.
---
Agree re Michael. Gerry Agar wrote about his insistence that the three older girls were his, which sounds horrible for BG.
Gerry Agar has to be taken with a massive pinch of salt, but Hutchence’s manager and some friend’s have confirmed this is true as well. He referred to them as his daughters.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23
I'm disturbed by the snippet of information that Michael would have his way with Paula, unconscious and drugged, and treat her like a doll to do with as he wished. That's if it's true, of course. https://tattle.life/threads/peaches-geldof-and-the-geldof-family-3.34183/page-39#post-14462000

Sorry, but people like this should be in a jail cell, not held up as sex gods or whatever. That's the same as that "sex therapist" on the We Need To Talk About Cosby documentary who said sex workers should be willing to let rapists who are into drugging women "let their kink out". I'm surprised they even let that "suggestion" be broadcast.

I was never keen on INXS even in their heyday and didn't see the appeal of Michael either, but that's just me. It's sad but his career was definitely on the decline when Paula took up with him.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
It’s mad isn’t it, the sort of stuff that was acceptable only 25-30 years ago. To see that kind of thing printed in the press and think “oh well, that’s Rock stars/tv presenters, getting up to all sorts of illegal and disturbing sex

Reactions: 15
I'm disturbed by the snippet of information that Michael would have his way with Paula, unconscious and drugged, and treat her like a doll to do with as he wished. That's if it's true, of course. https://tattle.life/threads/peaches-geldof-and-the-geldof-family-3.34183/page-39#post-14462000

Sorry, but people like this should be in a jail cell, not held up as sex gods or whatever. That's the same as that "sex therapist" on the We Need To Talk About Cosby documentary who said sex workers should be willing to let rapists who are into drugging women "let their kink out". I'm surprised they even let that "suggestion" be broadcast.

I was never keen on INXS even in their heyday and didn't see the appeal of Michael either, but that's just me. It's sad but his career was definitely on the decline when Paula took up with him.
yeah it’s disturbing but it’s second hand information from Gerry Agar who had motivations for sensationalising things. The only two people who know what went on in their bedroom are now dead, and even then neither of them were reliable.

I don’t much admire MH, but he’s never been accused of similar by any of his exes or other women, so I’m not sure I’m convinced. And the whole consent issues around that is a bit effing muddled (is consent still given if you give someone consent to have sex with you while you’re drugged out..?)

I agree though, the misogyny of the 90s and noughties and even teenies can be shocking still, I’m not convinced it’s disappeared entirely it’s just a little more covert now.

Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.