Peaches Geldof and the Geldof family #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was thinking the same. For me itā€™s fascinating Peaches dying in very similar circumstances as her mum like Whitney and Bobbi.
That would be it for me, I remember her, she was two months older than me and I was shocked when she died.

I knew her mother died in similar circumstances, my only interest in Paula Yates came from wanting to understand what happened to Peaches. I never had any rose tinted version of her or of Micheal H (although I bought INXS's greatest hits a few years ago and loved it šŸ¤£) but I have to say reading up on Paula I feel nothing but sympathy for her daughters and am delighted that Peaches sisters have managed to break whatever fucked up cycle their mother and sister couldn't.

Bob Geldof... no real opinion on him. He seems like a cranky old man but that's about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Nothing to spill, never saw Bob. Paula came and did her bed thing then left, never spoke to her. I suppose thatā€™s why Iā€™m interested, because I was ā€œadjacentā€ but didnā€™t know them. And how it was awful seeing Peaches self-destruct.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Nothing to spill, never saw Bob. Paula came and did her bed thing then left, never spoke to her. I suppose thatā€™s why Iā€™m interested, because I was ā€œadjacentā€ but didnā€™t know them. And how it was awful seeing Peaches self-destruct.
Are you in touch with Zig and Zag? What are they up to these days šŸ˜‰

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Tbf family relationships are complex. Iā€™ve seen adults put their parents on a pedestal and crave their love and affection even if they were terrible parents.
Yeah I realise that. I personally donā€™t see it like that as thereā€™s such natural warmth rather than adoration. But of course itā€™s possible

Reactions: 5
Are you in touch with Zig and Zag? What are they up to these days šŸ˜‰
Actually the guys still live in east London!
thing is, back at the time BB was sooooo much fun and soooo hectic that Paula was about the least interesting thing about it. Also, the house was next to the canal and for some reason that meant some of the toilets flushed with canal water, thatā€™s the most behind-the-scenes info I can tell you.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
I would love to be able to read Peachesā€™ Elle girl column again. I was roughly the same age as her and had a bit of a fascination with her. She came across as a bit of an idiot but at the same time she was my age and she had a magazine column and a rich dad.

I remember she wrote about how down to earth and normal they were, because they flew across the world in economy.

meanwhile, teenage me who had never been on a plane šŸ‘šŸ‘„šŸ‘

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
In the article, Peaches is 17, Carson says that she stopped letting her daughter stay there 4 years ago, Peaches would have been 13 then. Carson also says the nanny would go away for the weekend and the girls were left to their own devices. No one on here said any of the girls were 9 when they lived in the annexe someone was using hyperbole in response to something I said
In the article, a woman who had never been in there puts her gossipy take (from the eyes of a 15 year old) in the highly acclaimed Daily Mail. Like everything else you take it with a pinch of salt.
Even that account says Bob bought the basement and then a staircase was built through. It makes no sense to say they were left to their own devices in a section of a house with a nanny in it and a young child. (TL was very young) and had a long term nanny (Monique Duffy) so to say they were alone in an annex is a little dramatic. Having a separate doorbell because originally they were different properties is not that weird, and ringing one when you kid is in an area with another doorbell is hardly a parenting crime. This is after all a house in a city, not a sprawling rural mansion. Itā€™s fascinating to read it all but itā€™s also easy to hear in that womanā€™s tone she is gossiping.

Last edited:
Slightly different topic, but Iā€™m curious what everyone thinks. Why is this thread so interesting?
Itā€™s all basically old news, but itā€™s a very active thread. I guess the Paula Yates documentary helped, but even before then thereā€˜s a lot of discussion.

I think it could be because so many different topics are covered. Multiple generations. Looking at media from the past in a new way.

I wonder if itā€™s human nature to try and make sense of a tragedy?
It is really interesting, I like to see other people's opinions on a family that we all know about. We all read the same articles and all have differing opinions, to me, that is great and on a sociological level, fascinating. I live in an echo chamber, my friends and family usually have similar views to me so it's important to read what others think.

Everyone involved is a multifaceted character, there's no hero of the story but equally, there's no baddie either, we can empathise with them all. That makes the discussion flow, everyone wants to make sense of a story that couldn't have had a happy ending due to the flawed people involved.

Then you travel forward in time and Peaches repeats history and there are questions there too, why would they leave a child with a relapsed heroin addict?

I also think, there's always going to be interest when two, young, attractive mothers die in tragic circumstances, with babies in the room. We (society) will always want to examine women who don't fit into the saintly, altruistic mother role.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I remember thinking she came off as an arrogant know-it-all in ElleGirl back in the day...and I was the same age! However, we did have similar taste in music and books so I kept reading it. I do find it kind of sad and eerie that I distinctly remember her recommending the book and film of 'Requiem for a Dream' in one column. I'd read it as a teen as well but given the circumstances in which she and her mum died it feels quite dark now.

I think for me it's purely the fascination of them as a well known celeb family. I remember being so upset when I heard Peaches had died. My boys were young at that time and it really floored me. I remember telling my parents and they were shocked and upset too. You just didn't expect it.

A lot of what I've read on this thread has really upset me regarding the relationship between PY and MH. I didn't know much about PY and MH to me was just a random rock star who died. There's so much darkness there. PY seems like a nightmare but also very vulnerable. MH just seems scary from what I am reading on this thread. I dread to think what would have come out about him had he lived longer.

Iā€™m sure maybe as teens they had some freedom but as their kids that would be judged anyway. But strange heā€™s reported often on here as controlling and mean and tight and the girls had to work for their money, yet he was such a lax parent and runner of a household he had no idea where his kids were, when and who with to the point they werenā€™t parented.
Iā€™d imagine the truth is somewhere in the middle and he couldnā€™t have won either way. Sadly. Peaches was emulating her mother in her last days and I felt as a follower she was trying to almost feel how her mum felt. All the weird posts and pictures and the music. Really sad.

Reactions: 10
I worked on the BB šŸ˜³šŸ‰
A friend of my parents worked for BG's company as a freelancer. She said they had to sign iron clad NDA that were punitive if breached. She said he was tight wad exploiting his workers with bad pay and conditions. (If you're reading this Bob she's since had gender reassignment and now lives in the desert as a hermit)

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Think Carson is the daughter and you mean her mother Sophie Parkin who kept selling stories. No wonder Bob threatened her with legal letters.
Wonder why her daughter actually stopped hanging around there.
But seriously imagine the people trying to sell stories on your kids, itā€™s awful.
---
Yes, you're right, Carson is the daughter
Carson Parkin must be glad her mother kept selling stories in her friends.

Reactions: 8
Wonder why her daughter actually stopped hanging around there.
But seriously imagine the people trying to sell stories on your kids, itā€™s awful.
---

Carson Parkin must be glad her mother kept selling stories in her friends.
Another one here, and she said about Peaches being a kleptomaniac. Youā€™re right, what adult sells stories about teenagers I hate it too when itā€™s done got ā€œ their own goodā€. BG should have taken Peaches away from it all. She went to clubs I did always off her head.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
When Paula left Bob for Michael it was all over the press and back in the mid 90s before a million channels and streaming services you couldnā€™t really avoid it. It was fascinating in a car crash kind of way. I remember how shocked I was when Michael died. Itā€™s weird I wasnā€™t a fan of his but I can remember exactly where I was when I heard. I guess itā€™s because it was so unexpected. When Paula died I wasnā€™t surprised and in all honesty didnā€™t feel much sympathy for her at the time as I just saw her as someone who was shockingly selfish who had prioritised a man and drugs in front of caring for her kids. I thought Peaches was a precocious brat but I was really sad when she died in such a similar way to her Mum as I thought of how young she was when her Mum died and how damaging it must have been.

I think exploring toxic relationship dynamics fascinates a lot of people, often because they are trying to make sense of their own experiences.

I am not sure that I agree that Michael was a dark character. It seems that people always spoke very highly of him and that his brain damage really changed who he was. The talk of the dark sex stuff came from Paula and I think she was constantly trying to prove to everyone how amazing and unique their love and sex life was. I take all that stuff with a bucket full of salt.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
When Paula left Bob for Michael it was all over the press and back in the mid 90s before a million channels and streaming services you couldnā€™t really avoid it. It was fascinating in a car crash kind of way. I remember how shocked I was when Michael died. Itā€™s weird I wasnā€™t a fan of his but I can remember exactly where I was when I heard. I guess itā€™s because it was so unexpected. When Paula died I wasnā€™t surprised and in all honesty didnā€™t feel much sympathy for her at the time as I just saw her as someone who was shockingly selfish who had prioritised a man and drugs in front of caring for her kids. I thought Peaches was a precocious brat but I was really sad when she died in such a similar way to her Mum as I thought of how young she was when her Mum died and how damaging it must have been.

I think exploring toxic relationship dynamics fascinates a lot of people, often because they are trying to make sense of their own experiences.

I am not sure that I agree that Michael was a dark character. It seems that people always spoke very highly of him and that his brain damage really changed who he was. The talk of the dark sex stuff came from Paula and I think she was constantly trying to prove to everyone how amazing and unique their love and sex life was. I take all that stuff with a bucket full of salt.
I liked the theory someone posted about Paula putting the sex stuff out there to send a message to other women and exā€™s. Interesting view Point, like sheā€™s marking her territory.
Thereā€™s hot men Iā€™d fancy a chance with but not if Ihad to have seafood up my chuff or sedate myself! Surely that would also put women who didnā€™t yet know him, right off.

Reactions: 20
I liked the theory someone posted about Paula putting the sex stuff out there to send a message to other women and exā€™s. Interesting view Point, like sheā€™s marking her territory.
Thereā€™s hot men Iā€™d fancy a chance with but not if Ihad to have seafood up my chuff or sedate myself! Surely that would also put women who didnā€™t yet know him, right off.
Yes I think seafood up her chuff is the equivalent of her pissing on a lamp post.

I now have this ear worm although I bet they wouldnā€™t want to suck an oyster out of any orifices.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Even the thought of someone massaging my arse cheeks for hours would put me off and I'd be freezing cold so I'd need to put the heating on and that's going to put everyone off nowadays

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.