Northern Ireland #4 Craic, conflict and current affairs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The club my son plays for has 3 girls teams, there’s girls in his team too but they can only play mixed until they’re 13 then it’s same sex only for league matches

Reactions: 3
The club my son plays for has 3 girls teams, there’s girls in his team too but they can only play mixed until they’re 13 then it’s same sex only for league matches
Same here but my girl only wants to play camogie, she’s not as interested in the football.

Reactions: 4
When one of mine was smaller the entire team got told off during their first tournament or whatever for Irish dancing on the field instead stead of marking.
True story. The coach was in bits 🙈
They've improved.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Same here but my girl only wants to play camogie, she’s not as interested in the football.
As long as they're off the streets I don't care what they play , those teens pictured couldn't be more than 15 ,to think they'll more than likely be joining the ever growing homeless population there once their addiction takes over ,that's the only thing I miss about the troubles ,you could walk through your own area safely in the knowledge that you'd never be mugged /killed by junkies to pay for their next fix, old people weren't tormented by anti-socials ,everyone knew where they stood or face the masked men .

There’s no owner, each county has a county board, then there’s 4 provisional councils. The President of the GAA is the highest position but it’s an unpaid privilege. Basically everybody involved is an amateur player or a volunteer.
Money wise, our club has just bought a huge chunk of land for a new training pitch. The facilities now are second to none, huge modern gyms, floodlit 5G pitches etc. There’s a lot of maintenance in that and I know the floodlights in particular cost a lot to run. If you’re good enough to play at county level you’ll get healthy meals delivered to your door, the GAA pay for that. County boards would also pay dieticians and fitness coaches for their county teams if they can’t find qualified volunteers. Referees and match officials get travel expenses. Then there’s the player injury scheme, if you get injured during a match and need time off work or medical treatment the GAA pay for it. Lots of players have had private surgery paid for by the GAA. Then there’s things like underage development programs, transport to matches, security and Garda presence at big games etc. Croke park would have some paid staff who work in the food kiosks and bars.

But all in all there’s no doubt they’re an extremely rich organisation. They do publish their audited accounts every year to show how the money is spent.

My kids live and breathe it which I’m delighted about because it really is a fantastic way of keeping them fit and they love the social side of it.
That’s actually really interesting. It seems to be really well run from that perspective.

I wish the IFA would use their millions to fund grassroots in a similar way. To be fair the IFA have greatly improved their youth and female programs over the last number of years so hopefully that continues but it doesn’t seem to do as much as you have described.

I really wish when they did the funding for national stadium all those years back that it had been either Ormeau or Titanic area and built a new multi sport, although I think the IFA do work with Gaa for training at Windsor etc

As long as they're off the streets I don't care what they play , those teens pictured couldn't be more than 15 ,to think they'll more than likely be joining the ever growing homeless population there once their addiction takes over ,that's the only thing I miss about the troubles ,you could walk through your own area safely in the knowledge that you'd never be mugged /killed by junkies to pay for their next fix, old people weren't tormented by anti-socials ,everyone knew where they stood or face the masked men .
I wonder what is the best way to deal with it. In theory if we had a working executive could they legislate, get more bobbies on the beat etc?
I’m now just realising are we on a countdown to another election if they don’t form an executive by a certain date?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
That’s actually really interesting. It seems to be really well run from that perspective.

I wish the IFA would use their millions to fund grassroots in a similar way. To be fair the IFA have greatly improved their youth and female programs over the last number of years so hopefully that continues but it doesn’t seem to do as much as you have described.

I really wish when they did the funding for national stadium all those years back that it had been either Ormeau or Titanic area and built a new multi sport, although I think the IFA do work with Gaa for training at Windsor etc

I wonder what is the best way to deal with it. In theory if we had a working executive could they legislate, get more bobbies on the beat etc?
I’m now just realising are we on a countdown to another election if they don’t form an executive by a certain date?
There's no way to deal with it the paramilitaries run the show we'll never be rid of them ...Not sure how much the DUP would welcome another election a recent poll has put them even further down in the publics favour.

I'm pretty sure even during the height of the troubles there were areas even the paramilitaries didn't dare go and people living in them were terrorised by anti social behaviour. I do remember them getting a bad boy when I was a child but it wasn't really a deterrent to the rest, areas still the same as far as I know. Could be just local to me 🤷‍♀️ these people were wild, eventually some had to leave.

I'm pretty sure even during the height of the troubles there were areas even the paramilitaries didn't dare go and people living in them were terrorised by anti social behaviour. I do remember them getting a bad boy when I was a child but it wasn't really a deterrent to the rest, areas still the same as far as I know. Could be just local to me 🤷‍♀️ these people were wild, eventually some had to leave.
So I have heard there are places that are seen as ‘no go’ areas for police but are u saying some were also not controlled by paramilitary? Who controlled it then? Not having a go btw, just curious,

Reactions: 1
Must be local to you .I know we had no fear we knew we were well protected lol .Why would the paramilities not venture in there ? who could be worse than them ? unless it was run by Irish mammies 😂

• Haha
So I have heard there are places that are seen as ‘no go’ areas for police but are u saying some were also not controlled by paramilitary? Who controlled it then? Not having a go btw, just curious,
Yes, just ODC, regular skip rats, hoods.
It was bad, still is. Small area, notorious, ordinary people traumatised.

Where are you lot living that you don't have hoods?
Thankfully I'm nice and safe now 😌 ☺

I do remember once an in law of mine did some work at a local church. Not an old style traditional church but one of these community halls in an estate type church. Gets into a conversation with a gentleman who was grateful with their work in the church building about annoying kids on scrambler bikes out the back field behind them late at night, keeping the kids awake ETC.
Not a peep of noise from the following night onwards.

I’m no fan of paramilitaries at all but for antisocial behaviour that was some crack down

I think the GAA do a lot for kids in fairness. They need to as their survival depends on keeping kids at it so they’ll grow up to play amateur sport at professional level. The commitment involved is massive so they need to be keep young people interested.
The phone is definitely listening to us, just had 2 articles come up on my fb newsfeed about new investment in post natal fitness for women wanting to return to Gaelic games after having babies and £500k going into the GAA for all scheme for disabled kids and adults.

• Haha
I think the GAA do a lot for kids in fairness. They need to as their survival depends on keeping kids at it so they’ll grow up to play amateur sport at professional level. The commitment involved is massive so they need to be keep young people interested.
The phone is definitely listening to us, just had 2 articles come up on my fb newsfeed about new investment in post natal fitness for women wanting to return to Gaelic games after having babies and £500k going into the GAA for all scheme for disabled kids and adults.
😂😂😂😂 the phone ads are bleeping wild.
I remember out of lockdown getting a pint of a new beer brand I had NEVER heard of. I took a Snapchat pic and it was in a branded glasss. Within the hour in my phone I was seeing ads for this beer brand

• Haha
This concerns me as over the last few weeks I've been watching a lot of troubles related content. I'm probably on some watch list.

• Haha
This concerns me as over the last few weeks I've been watching a lot of troubles related content. I'm probably on some watch list.
This made me laugh because of that film I watched last night. This guy Robert Freegard pretended he was an MI5 spy and duped multiple people into thinking they were on an IRA hitlist, they spent years “on the run” oblivious to the fact it was all bull. The lengths paranoid people go to when they think they’re in danger is mind blowing, well worth a watch to see how he got them to fall for it.

• Haha
I keep getting fetish stuff from WISH pop up 🤷🏼‍♀️

No surprise this has rumbled a certain section of the community 😂
84DB92C9-C91D-4457-8943-83D5419B8D12.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4
This made me laugh because of that film I watched last night. This guy Robert Freegard pretended he was an MI5 spy and duped multiple people into thinking they were on an IRA hitlist, they spent years “on the run” oblivious to the fact it was all bull. The lengths paranoid people go to when they think they’re in danger is mind blowing, well worth a watch to see how he got them to fall for it.
Is that what the rogue agent is about? There was another show about that on Netflix, the puppet master conman. That was a documentary if I remember rightly.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.