Northern Ireland #2 Craic, conflict and current affairs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Looks like the UDA are doing a good enough job of getting rid of the young recruits šŸ¤¢
West Belfast UDA says no to crystal meth after young dealers taught to ā€˜cookā€™ highly addictive drug

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...t-to-cook-highly-addictive-drug-41721003.html
Thereā€™s a massive issue with drugs in the city centre. Needles all around the place. Even prior to lockdown do you remember the documentary about all the drug dealing on the Lagan towpath? It actually was quite bad in that I stopped walking on it during the day as know people who had been mugged on it.

couldnā€™t read the full story there as behind the BT paywall but have the UDA said not to do it?

Reactions: 2
Exactly. For one side its acceptable. Brings the country to a standstill in fact. But when the other side do it they're dirty terrorists.
Neither of those groups represent me but its hypocrisy. Its not fair.
I'm a bit of a prickly pear at the minute. But I'm tired of being labelled as something I'm not or having to apologise for my culture, which actually falls somewhere between nationalism and unionism.
What happened this week was appalling and McElduff resurfacing is in my opinion wrong but nothing will change my mind that that wasn't whataboutery, which again in my opinion tries to explain away the song and makes the apology etc meaningless.

My point being ,one side gets away with it while the other are punished, same with the recent rioting at the interface no action on loyalist youths but as soon as nationalists step in to defend themselves the police move into action, thatā€™s their differences in the two communities but not everyone on here will experience or see it.
Im lost on how this is the point youā€™re trying to make from what youā€™ve said above none of it makes this point. However thatā€™s not true; many loyalists have been convicted of rioting. they donā€™t ā€œget away with itā€. Anyone breaking the law should be prepared to face the consequences šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Exactly. For one side its acceptable. Brings the country to a standstill in fact. But when the other side do it they're dirty terrorists.
Neither of those groups represent me but its hypocrisy. Its not fair.
I'm a bit of a prickly pear at the minute. But I'm tired of being labelled as something I'm not or having to apologise for my culture, which actually falls somewhere between nationalism and unionism.
What happened this week was appalling and McElduff resurfacing is in my opinion is wrong but nothing will change my mind that that wasn't whataboutery, which again in my opinion tries to explain away the song and makes the apology etc meaningless.
I think we all feel that ā€œour sideā€ is somehow being attacked and we all have different view points.

the mcelduff thing genuinely appeared on my news feed which is why I put it up, I wasnā€™t trying to deflect in any way. I think the timing was just very bad, he got the promotion at some point this week, the song happened at some point this week. I would like to think we can agree both arenā€™t acceptable.

• Heart
I think we all feel that ā€œour sideā€ is somehow being attacked and we all have different view points.

the mcelduff thing genuinely appeared on my news feed which is why I put it up, I wasnā€™t trying to deflect in any way. I think the timing was just very bad, he got the promotion at some point this week, the song happened at some point this week. I would like to think we can agree both arenā€™t acceptable.
We do agree on that. Listen I don't want you to feel attacked, its incredibly difficult to have these conversations šŸ˜”

No.

i wasnā€™t talking about Michaela at all.
the response to the people involved was quite rightly that most of them (if not all) have been publically shamed and sacked.
We all agreed that was correct.

then given that the title of this thread is NI craic/conflict I posted a story from yesterday about mcelduff as it was in the news yesterday and somehow you all decided this was a direct attack on Michaela when I was literally just posting what came up on the fb news feed.

I admit this morning I went duck it and then did engage in a bit of what abouts by posting the Tyrone apology for their singing but was actually shocked when I posted that the coalisland up the ra lads are getting a bleeping civic tea instead of being sacked from their roles for being scum bags. None of these incidents are anything to do with michaela at all
Itā€™s a soccer team thatā€™s getting a civic reception, not even loosely associated with Michaela McAreavy and she was dead when it happened so again I fail to see the relevance or why it would even be brought up in a ā€œwhat aboutā€ post when itā€™s nothing like the same thing.

Reactions: 1
Itā€™s a soccer team thatā€™s getting a civic reception, not even loosely associated with Michaela McAreavy and she was dead when it happened so again I fail to see the relevance or why it would even be brought up in a ā€œwhat aboutā€ post when itā€™s nothing like the same thing.
It was more about the general feeling I was getting this morning that it felt like no matter how many times myself and others said it was a terrible thing, that it was correct those involved got sacked it still seemed that it wasnā€™t enough that you still felt that the song is commonplace in prod circles or whatever.
And the ā€œwhat aboutā€ aspect is that instead of the football (not calling it soccer šŸ˜˜) team getting sacked and publically Shamed for their appalling behaviour they are getting tea and fifteens. It feels like double standards at play.

I think things have got a bit heated and I donā€™t want the mods to come closing the thread if we get into an argument as actually I think it is good for us to have this conversation but there are a few perceptions I think on both sides we probably need to work through.

the trouble is on a daily basis there will inevitably be something on either side which pisses the other off and I hope we can be civil about it.

I would genuinely rather have a discussion and have my views challenged as long as everyone is happy to do the same

We do agree on that. Listen I don't want you to feel attacked, its incredibly difficult to have these conversations šŸ˜”
Yeah, I think we all have our baggage I suppose and it is difficult to face into this from our own backgrounds.

• Heart
Sorry, I thought you meant Barry was re-elected into a government role in 2019 not a local council position. I knew that.

It was more about the general feeling I was getting this morning that it felt like no matter how many times myself and others said it was a terrible thing, that it was correct those involved got sacked it still seemed that it wasnā€™t enough that you still felt that the song is commonplace in prod circles or whatever.
And the ā€œwhat aboutā€ aspect is that instead of the football (not calling it soccer šŸ˜˜) team getting sacked and publically Shamed for their appalling behaviour they are getting tea and fifteens. It feels like double standards at play.

I think things have got a bit heated and I donā€™t want the mods to come closing the thread if we get into an argument as actually I think it is good for us to have this conversation but there are a few perceptions I think on both sides we probably need to work through.

the trouble is on a daily basis there will inevitably be something on either side which pisses the other off and I hope we can be civil about it.

I would genuinely rather have a discussion and have my views challenged as long as everyone is happy to do the same

Yeah, I think we all have our baggage I suppose and it is difficult to face into this from our own backgrounds.
Not saying they shouldnā€™t be sacked but I stand by the fact that it shouldnā€™t be mentioned in the same post as Michaela McAreavy, thereā€™s no comparison there to make.
Is there a difference between football and soccer? Not being smart, theyā€™re the same thing arenā€™t they? šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

Sorry, I thought you meant Barry was re-elected into a government role in 2019 not a local council position. I knew that.
I think maybe he got re-elected in local council in 2019 but then this week got some sort of promotion

Not saying they shouldnā€™t be sacked but I stand by the fact that it shouldnā€™t be mentioned in the same post as Michaela McAreavy, thereā€™s no comparison there to make.
Is there a difference between football and soccer? Not being smart, theyā€™re the same thing arenā€™t they? šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø
In football your hands donā€™t touch the ball (unless by hand ball or by the goalie)
Gaelic is more handsy (Iā€™m not sure what the correct terminology for the play is)

I do actually think bbc ni should be showing gaa matches btw. Iquite like hurling myself.
I would rather they showed NI football and Gaa than eastenders and garbage like that!

Yes and as the public vote for the council elections and he done it with Sinn FĆ©inā€™s blessing as a Sinn Fein councillor - thatā€™s what I was taking issue with.

It comes across as a backward step from Sinn Fein (in my opinion) as they had rightly condemned it and said it was indefensible at the time and he resigned after a week of outcry and SF dismissed him for 3 months. I personally think that was too light of a punishment and it sets the tone that itā€™s acceptable to forgive and forget when people do bring up the past atrocities to mock, and even when itā€™s done in such a calculated, cruel and evil way. I know many will ā€œbut but but the dup did this and thatā€. Iā€™m talking about SF in this instance because they are the party he stands with and for.

I'm going to bow out and leave you to it. Shame that.
I'm going to leave you with a little joke a friend told me once.
When does a Catholic become a fenian bastard?
When he/she leaves the room.

Unfortunately we're still sharing the thread when that's been said.

So long.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5

So long.
That hasnā€™t been said to you at all. I would like you to stay to be honest as I donā€™t think it does us any good to not engage.

Lord above ,how many civic receptions have been held for unionist/ loyalists over the years when nationalists werenā€™t even permitted to step foot into the building šŸ˜‚

Iā€™ve never watched GAA, Iā€™m not big into any sport really. I only like running myself but thought this was beautiful.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I think maybe he got re-elected in local council in 2019 but then this week got some sort of promotion

In football your hands donā€™t touch the ball (unless by hand ball or by the goalie)
Gaelic is more handsy (Iā€™m not sure what the correct terminology for the play is)

I do actually think bbc ni should be showing gaa matches btw. Iquite like hurling myself.
I would rather they showed NI football and Gaa than eastenders and garbage like that!
Never mentioned Gaelic šŸ¤£ So whatā€™s soccer then? Not the same as football?

BBC do show Gaelic games and actually do a good job at showing what culture looks like.

So long.
Donā€™t go Mavis šŸ˜¢

Iā€™ve never watched GAA, Iā€™m not big into any sport really. I only like running myself but thought this was beautiful.

Yep thatā€™s what itā€™s about,along with amateur athletes competing at professional standard. It is not, repeat NOT sectarian or anything to do with the IRA. I hope some day that becomes clear. Itā€™s watched, played and enjoyed all other the world.

Thereā€™s a massive issue with drugs in the city centre. Needles all around the place. Even prior to lockdown do you remember the documentary about all the drug dealing on the Lagan towpath? It actually was quite bad in that I stopped walking on it during the day as know people who had been mugged on it.

couldnā€™t read the full story there as behind the BT paywall but have the UDA said not to do it?
Do you really believe the UDA would stand back and let Eastern Europeans take over their patch lol, itā€™s the same with the INLA ,drugs is big business nothing getā€™s in the way of profitā€¦scourge on society.

Last edited:
Do you really believe the UDA would stand back and let Eastern Europeans take over their patch lol, itā€™s the same with the INLA drugs is big business nothing getā€™s in the way of profitā€¦scourge on society.
No of course they wouldnā€™t, it just does my head in with the Belfast telegraph these days. Anything that might be even 1% interesting is subscribers only.
Both the BT and Belfast live are pretty horrendous with their click bait on Facebook these days, reporting on live potential incidents/deaths and letting the comments flow in and speculate.

Sums this place up ,perfectly .

• Sad
Never mentioned Gaelic šŸ¤£ So whatā€™s soccer then? Not the same as football?

BBC do show Gaelic games and actually do a good job at showing what culture looks like.
Ive found that a lot of my friends who follow gaelic football avidly refer to that as just "football" and then if they were talking about say Liverpool and Man U playing in the premiership that would be soccer. That's potentially the difference? Just a language choice. Sort of like americans saying football vs soccer.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.