Niomi Smart #7 by her Royal decree, Joey is free

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Looking at the ingredients and the jarring differences between name - Smart skin says science to me - and packaging - fun patterns - I am struggling to see anything smart about smart skin......

Reactions: 16
Literally I just can't understand it. She doesn't have the audience to buy this off name recognition alone. Why would a casual viewer spend £24 on a brand that has no proof it works and uses questionable ingredients when you can buy The Inkey List and The Ordinary for less than a tenner?
I feel like even 5 years ago people were less ‘clued in’ to science and brands like TO and Inkey List hadn’t changed the affordable market for the better. Plus Niomi probably had more selling power. I can see the brand being marginally successful back then.

Reactions: 5
Has she sent stuff to other influencers?
It's all she's sharing on her IG stories. Other influencers and friends opening their PR boxes of products.

She's not talking about the products herself. She's just sharing videos of other people thanking her for sending them. Bizarre.

Reactions: 14
I only have one word for this: clusterf*ck.

She should fire her brand manager. She should fire herself haha.

Reactions: 25
I can feel it breaking me out by just looking at it through my screen.

Remember those horrendous little "pamper sets" that your Mother's Sister would give you as a very obvious last minute panic gift because she forgot to buy you a present for Christmas but was calling over for the annual Christmas get-together so she just wrapped up one of the gift sets she got for free with a pair of pyjamas she bought herself?

Yeah, that's the kinda icky vibe I'm getting from this trash 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 28
She probably has enough die hard fans to make a start. How else would she have gotten investors? Our girl is a funny one...

Reactions: 2
I wonder if Joe was meant to be involved in the marketing strategy and either
A: he’s tit at his job
B: no significant investment was made into marketing because Joe was doing it for free and it was then abandoned after the break up
C: Niomi assumed her social following alone would translate well enough into interest and sales

Reactions: 14
I called into a coffee shop this week and they only offered the reusable cups, not even china ones for inside the shop. I wonder if she had no choice over the one-time use cup, just with Covid-19 lots of normal rules are currently out of the window. Stuff is now in so much plastic :(

This skincare range reminds me a bit of L'Occitane

Reactions: 9
She is such an actor, it’s funny people can’t see it.

Acting like this is her passion and as though she’s a CEO launching the product line of her career when it’s obvious this was nowhere near the forefront of her mind at all these past 6 months, let alone the past two years. It‘s downright insulting that this girl just up and started an all day yoga teacher training this same week and is now pretending her line that she apparently developed herself is ~launching~ as if she did any real work on it or cares about it at all. She’s been doing non stop ads for tons of other companies just in this past month and has shown no interest or passion about her forthcoming products at all, let alone even a run-up of basic skin care centric videos that don’t even have to feature the products, she could just talk about skincare and her journey. She couldn’t make it more clear she doesn’t gaf but she’ll get away with it because everyone buys into her sickly sweet act.

She does the exact same “I’m so thrilled and astonishingly excited” tone of voice and face for EVERYTHING. For taking a tiny bite of beetroot cake to packing boxes. For India, for her relationship with Joe, for the demise of her engagement! She puts on the same act every time and it’s so tired.

This whole skin care venture is so weird it almost has shady vibes to it. Like, what is this a cover for? Lol.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Well, if the “launch” has shown us anything, it’s that Niomi’s idea of hard work is the bare bleeping minimum.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
also cute
how her 2 bamboo washcloths are 8 pounds
but some average bamboo washcloth I just googled is 3 pounds (2 would be 6 in this case, but usually when u get pack of 2 things you get a discount)
so
?you pay just for her brand? love it. maybe her washcloths are smarter :poop:
(I know it's not that big of a difference, but 2 pounds is 25% of the price so yikes)
hun ur name is not Chanel

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
also cute
how her 2 bamboo washcloths are 8 pounds
but some average bamboo washcloth I just googled is 3 pounds (2 would be 6 in this case, but usually when u get pack of 2 things you get a discount)
so
?you pay just for her brand? love it. maybe her washcloths are smarter :poop:
(I know it's not that big of a difference, but 2 pounds is 25% of the price so yikes)
She’s really got an inflated sense of how much her name is worth 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I really don’t get the concept of muses for skincare at all. The only thing I can think of is that she says these products work for all skin types so she’s got a load of different women ‘muses’ to demonstrate the point but even then it’s just a bit crap.
I really hate to say it but it really seems like a case of virtue signaling. Trying to get good press by showing how inclusive and diverse her brand is but all her muses have done so far is sit for an amateur photoshoot that doesn't even showcase their beauty to its fullest potential and share a basic 'inspirational' quote :rolleyes:.

The whole branding really is a mess. The logo and all the instagram posts leading up to the launch has been minimalistic then the products are revealed and its all colourful and Moroccan patterns. I agree with everyone above that Smart Skin should allude to something more science-based like what SkinInc. does (legit customisable serums).

Reactions: 18
I’m actually shocked. No negativity it’s great she’s launched her own business. But it’s like launching a jewlerry line without showing anyone what it looks like wearing it. I have no idea what each product does and what it’s good for?

It also reminds me of the brand fresh in terms of ingredients / look etc

Reactions: 12
Lol so let me get this straight --
- Her range only includes 5 products and one of those is a wash cloth?
- The packaging is completely impractical. Why would you use hand cream packaging à la l'Occitane for a cleanser of all things?? As usual she seems to be prioritizing appearance over substance. I would get so annoyed if I had to use these products. When I go wash my face in the morning I don't want to have to unscrew a tiny little cap and then screw it back on. Give me a pump!
- The price range is unreasonable. Why would I pay Paula's Choice prices for Nimbob's Smart Skin...when I could just get Paula's Choice instead? There's no R&D behind Smart Skin. She's just using formulas that already exist and packaging it all up. She's not investing anything into research for her products.
- It's not even clear looking at the products what ingredients they contain? "Golden Jelly Cleanser," "Miracle Meta Mask"... That doesn't tell me tit. I need to know what I'm putting on my skin. Where is the niacinamide, the hyaluronic acid, the ceramides, the AHA/BHA, the retinol, the vitamin C? Her products don't appear to contain anything of substance apart from glycolic acid.
- The marketing is all OFF. There seems to be more emphasis on her Smart Skin 'muses' (whatever that means to them) and armchair 'inspirational quotes' than the products. 46 posts on their instagram and only ONE shows the products?? WTF???? I can only look at so many pictures of random women wearing a white T and blue jeans before I lose my patience.
- If a brand claims that 100% of its products work for 100% skin types, chances are that brand is trash. Sorry but oily skins shouldn't be using the same products as dry skins. Skins of color shouldn't be using the same products as white skins. I wonder what Dr. Vanita Rattan (who specializes in skin of color) would say about these products...

Conclusion: This brand is useless and stupid. The fact that she has so little to show or say about the products shows that this brand is 100% superficial, no substance to it whatsoever. Don't waste your time -- Niomi clearly didn't waste hers (the photoshoot was probably the most time she ever spent working on that brand).

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
I agree with all of the outrage lol. It's a total mess.

I wonder if her slinging total crap with no science, terrible marketing, overpriced, etc... made Joe see her differently? I wonder if it became a point of tension. Since he is in marketing... I could see him being embarrassed by his fiance's name on this, knowing it's a crap brand but also she's not *really* CEO even though she has the label. It would make me question my partner's values..

Also can I say that vegan/cruelty-free skincare is like the bare minimum standard for ethical skincare now. It's nothing groundbreaking. I agree with whoever said this feels like we're back in 2010 lol. The "no plastic" part IS cool though - I'm on board with that if it's actually the case.

It is INCREDIBLY bizarre that she hasn't done a video about the products yet though.

Reactions: 11
I wonder if Joe was meant to be involved in the marketing strategy and either
A: he’s tit at his job
B: no significant investment was made into marketing because Joe was doing it for free and it was then abandoned after the break up
C: Niomi assumed her social following alone would translate well enough into interest and sales
Joe was there for the photoshoot day with the team and appeared to be at a desk working on a laptop at the time. Maybe she wanted to put him to use working on her products and he felt badly being relegated from CMO of a team to marketing these products. for his fiance. It was right before the break-up. All little things leading up to the final break obviously. I am surprised almost all of her photos with Joe are still up on her account. You would think she might've done a purge right before the big launch so curious minds wouldn't be scrolling along to see engagement photos with "the beginning of forever" written on it.

Anyway, these things look like products you'd see discounted on the shelves of TK Maxx in a few years that you'd pick up when you're low on skincare and feeling adventurous or thrifty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Joe was there for the photoshoot day with the team and appeared to be at a desk working on a laptop at the time. Maybe she wanted to put him to use working on her products and he felt badly being relegated from CMO of a team to marketing these products. for his fiance. It was right before the break-up. All little things leading up to the final break obviously.

Anyway, these things look like products you'd see discounted on the shelves of TK Maxx in a few years that you'd pick up when you're low on skincare and feeling adventurous or thrifty.

I feel like it could've gone two ways - Joe takes advantage of the fact that his fiance is CEO and makes Smart Skin his baby project to prove himself. OR he's relegated to the back and becomes resentful and they split. Lol obviously something like the latter happened? But it's hard to know who was more.. at fault? Like clearly Niomi isn't really involved with the brand.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.