Niomi Smart #7 by her Royal decree, Joey is free

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s baffling why they haven’t introduced the products properly. Even Rihanna's Fenty Skin line revealed their products before launch... if they were trying to build hype it was a pretty poor effort. I think these products might appeal to an older market but they're missing out on the skincare hype among younger people who are looking for more 'scientific' formulas - think hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, BHA/AHA, retinol. People are getting more savvy about skincare now that you can freely research it yourself, and a lot of people are now aware that organic/natural skincare does not automatically mean it is good for your skin.

Now the formulas of her products contain some good ingredients, aside from some products which seem to be heavily fragranced. They'll probably work fine for people who already have decent skin but I imagine they could be pretty problematic for people with oily/acne prone/sensitive skin. They contain lots of oils and plant extracts which can be irritating for some people's skin. It's why I stay away from skincare which aggressively markets itself as ~natural~, since they're often full of potent essential oils which are very irritating for my skin.

And just a note on the palm oil: the presence of palm oil in a product is not an indication of whether it is sustainable/unsustainable. Although there's been a pretty aggressive campaign to boycott palm oil as a whole, it's the most efficient vegetable oil there is - if it isn't palm oil, you'd have to substitute a less efficient (i.e. requires more land to grow) vegetable oil. According to them their palm oil is certified by the RSPO which is a start, but the lack of transparency of where exactly it is sourced and where the other exotic plant derived ingredients are sourced from makes it difficult to assess how sustainable the line really is. Although the products are mixed in the UK the ingredients themselves are obviously sourced elsewhere, so would be nice to see a bit more info about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21
I think these products might appeal to an older market but they're missing out on the skincare hype among younger people who are looking for more 'scientific' formulas - think hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, BHA/AHA, retinol. People are getting more savvy about skincare now that you can freely research it yourself, and a lot of people are now aware that organic/natural skincare does not automatically mean it is good for your skin.
I was about to say the same thing. I buy my skincare based on SCIENCE. I read scientific studies and do my own research. You don't need a product with a million ingredients. Literally, all you need is retinol, hyaluronic acid, and vitamin C. Why would I buy her Vitamin C product full of random ingredients when I can buy the gold standard in Vitamin C (SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic) that is backed by scientific research?

I'm not understanding who her target market is. I'm 35 and I wouldn't put that stuff on my face if you paid me. Maybe its aimed at teenagers? The whole thing is confusing and I feel like I'm back in the year 2010.

Reactions: 27
I was about to say the same thing. I buy my skincare based on SCIENCE. I read scientific studies and do my own research. You don't need a product with a million ingredients. Literally, all you need is retinol, hyaluronic acid, and vitamin C. Why would I buy her Vitamin C product full of random ingredients when I can buy the gold standard in Vitamin C (SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic) that is backed by scientific research?

I'm not understanding who her target market is. I'm 35 and I wouldn't put that stuff on my face if you paid me. Maybe its aimed at teenagers? The whole thing is confusing and I feel like I'm back in the year 2010.
Idk, you'd be surprised at how clued up teenagers are getting with skincare, and I doubt they'd be able to pay £24 for a 120ml(!!) cleanser. Even the Liz Earle sell a 200ml cleanser for £27; the price point for Niomi's skincare considering the volume is mad.

I think they're targeting the very niche all-natural GMO free organic gluten-free group, who I guess might lap it up, but I can't see this brand having longevity.

Reactions: 8
I too stay away from 'natural' products with oils in as am super sensitive. I use a mix of Darphin and Tatcha. I reacted very badly to a Vitamin C cream by Kat Burki. It is not about who is selling it, when it comes to skin care. It is so subjective and I agree with the comments that people research now and are much more savvy and discerning.

Reactions: 4
It's vanilla and pretty unremarkable. So like Niomi, then.

'Smart Skin' sounds modern and scientific, so the boho branding and packaging is incongruent. Meh. It'll do okay and fizzle out.

Reactions: 22
I'm confused though, if the brand is "Smart Skin" then why is the website and instragram *My* Smart Skin? It's weird to me that the name isn't uniform across platforms...

Reactions: 17
In her insta stories when she says 'made in the UK' she closes her eyes. You can declare something as made in the UK if it's basically just boxed up in the country, so I wonder if the actual product comes from somewhere else?

£24 for some jelly?! I'm out of touch!

Edit: the website says nothing about being made in the UK and the products still use palm oil. Because profit...
I can’t see the palm oil. Is it listed under a different name?

I'm confused though, if the brand is "Smart Skin" then why is the website and instragram *My* Smart Skin? It's weird to me that the name isn't uniform across platforms...
This. It’s so confusing. She calls it ‘Smart Skin’ but all the social media handles are ‘My Smart Skin’. They probably couldn’t get ‘Smart Skin’ on social media because it was already taken but it’s weird.

Reactions: 6
It's vanilla and pretty unremarkable. So like Niomi, then.

'Smart Skin' sounds modern and scientific, so the boho branding and packaging is incongruent. Meh. It'll do okay and fizzle out.
Smart Skin sounds modern and scientific because the brand Smart Skin has the tagline of "Science and Nature for beauty".

Niomi's brand isn't the first company I found when just googling it, she is using the same basic trading name of Smart Skin as an existing skincare brand. I'm assuming she's done the legal checks on trademarks and whether using the same name is going to be a legal issue, but I'd be pretty worried.

Ultimately her brand is going to get lost in the masses of beauty companies named something along the lines of Smart Skin.

I quite like the patterns, though the packaging as a whole does look like a cheap hand cream christmas gift set. I kind of wish they'd embraced the pattern and colour more for the instagram, I don't see how the awful wishy washy, pale pictures of wheat go with this.

It's far too expensive, I don't see who the target audience is with that price.

I seriously don't get the marketing, at all. She picked viewers to be "muses", with inspiring quotes, and I just don't get it. So what do they do, how are they a part of this? She talked a lot of tit about building her audience and her whole career leading up to this, but I don't get it, I thought there would be more of an angle of involving her viewers or something but are they literally just models? What do they have to do with the products? Why are we only seeing the products now? What am I supposed to think?

Reactions: 22
Note they are not actually certified yet, probably just paid for the licence:

' We’re honoured to carry the COSMOS license and aim to have all products within the Smart Skin range COSMOS certified by 2021. '

Palm Oil - they state it is used in their face oil.

'
SUSTAINABLE PALM OIL (RSPO)
- A Global Standard for Sustainable Palm Oil
The Smart Skin team thought long and hard about whether or not to include Palm Oil into our Face Oil. We researched, we listened, and we learned.
In the end, we understood that as long as RSPO (Responsibly Sourced Palm Oil) certified palm oil is used, we could actually make a positive ethical impact. '

• Sad
I seriously don't get the marketing, at all. She picked viewers to be "muses", with inspiring quotes, and I just don't get it. So what do they do, how are they a part of this?
I really don’t get the concept of muses for skincare at all. The only thing I can think of is that she says these products work for all skin types so she’s got a load of different women ‘muses’ to demonstrate the point but even then it’s just a bit crap.

So I had a look around the website and found this on the blog - https://mysmartskin.co.uk/blogs/smart-edit/smart-skin-muses-who-we-are

It's absolutely bizarre that I had to go searching for it. But I still have no idea what their "amazing stories" are 🤔

They've also neglected their Facebook page. No mention that the product has launched on there. They could've invested some money into Facebook ads... It's so poorly marketed it's not even funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Note they are not actually certified yet, probably just paid for the licence:

' We’re honoured to carry the COSMOS license and aim to have all products within the Smart Skin range COSMOS certified by 2021. '

Palm Oil - they state it is used in their face oil.

'
SUSTAINABLE PALM OIL (RSPO)
- A Global Standard for Sustainable Palm Oil
The Smart Skin team thought long and hard about whether or not to include Palm Oil into our Face Oil. We researched, we listened, and we learned.
In the end, we understood that as long as RSPO (Responsibly Sourced Palm Oil) certified palm oil is used, we could actually make a positive ethical impact. '
No palm oil would be far better than sustainable palm oil really.

Reactions: 5
I really can't see myself putting down my skinceuticals, medik8 or cerave products to use her range which look like the stuff you get free with a magazine :ROFLMAO:
I mean how does she stand out in any way? Also when you google 'smart skin', the first few results aren't even her brand.

Reactions: 13
I take it back, I thought I liked the patterns, then I looked closer and realised it's just the same pattern in 3 different colours, lazy af.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
did anyone see earlier a product which was Freesia & Pear scented on the site?

I'm sure I saw Freesia & Pear this morning & thought that's an exact copy of the Jo Malone scent.. now it is nowhere to be seen on the website!

Last edited:
Smart Skin…. I mean they really tried to do it without plastic (which is great!), they look OK, kinda meh, but not crappy ugly I think. I mean I don’t really care, not gonna buy it, but maybe it will be good… we will see reviews or something I hope

Target audience - I think it's for... Niomis of the world... girls who want to believe they are sustainable and changing the world, who go to yoga and pilates (by Uber, who takes the metro), eat vegan lunches, have $$$$$, but they are really not that authentic nor groundbreaking. Aged 20-35 I'd say.

About the plastic though! I don’t believe her. It’s good that the brand is trying to do something good but she is the face of the brand. I’m not forgiving her that reusable Starbucks to-go cup from her vlog with mom (2 weeks ago).

It’s because I used to work at Starbucks (years ago, when I was a teen, my first ever job) and I know 1. How it’s easy to bring your reusable cup - baristas are always happy about it, it also was sad for us to see all this waste when we took the trash out 2. How tit this company is when it comes to recycling, waste. It shocks me that she just had a coffee there! The things she could have done: 1. Drink coffee at Soho Farmhouse 2. Just don’t vlog the Starbucks…

you are a face of your own sustainable, no plastic, vegan, eco brand Nims...

What I also ABSOLUTELY HATE is the fact that she tried to use body positivity in the marketing for it… but she is 100% NOT body positive.

I mean - I don’t think she hates more curvy people, I think she genuinely may be a kind girl! But she has issues with food - we are almost sure of that, our old pal Marbobs kinda even confirmed it. She doesn’t really speak about body positivity.

Girl. If you want to be a role model, you don't trigger people with her food restrictions. If she cared about health, she’d often say that it’s sometimes nice to eat naughty, it's okay if you gain water weight or eat vegan Ben and Jerry's when you're on your period - her version of naughty is soup with A P I E C E O F B R E A D 😮

If she really has issues, I think she should work it out. I feel sorry for her because I understand. But someone like that should be more aware of her platform… I don’t really have an opinion about our dude Dreamy Joey, maybe he was the toxic one idk (hoping for some fennel tea on him though, as we all do), but I hope he eats T W O B U R G E R S now

Last edited:
Reactions: 17
Yes! C E Ferulic is the best.

There’s a really good article on HA on the Harper’s Bazaar website, basically looking at whether it’s really a magic ingredient. https://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/skin-care/a31116680/are-you-misusing-hyaluronic-acid/ someone shared it in the Sali Hughes thread a few months ago. Anyway, if you like skincare stuff you’ll probably enjoy reading.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Literally I just can't understand it. She doesn't have the audience to buy this off name recognition alone. Why would a casual viewer spend £24 on a brand that has no proof it works and uses questionable ingredients when you can buy The Inkey List and The Ordinary for less than a tenner?

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.