New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone found having a Moses basket useful? I’ve got one on my list to buy, but I’m wondering how much it’ll be used. We have a next to me and a purflo for upstairs, so I was thinking the Moses would be handy to keep downstairs.
My MIL bought us one and we have used it a lot, my little girl is 5 weeks now and naps in it in the day but she is very long so I don’t think she will be in it for much longer. I wouldn’t spend a lot on one but I think it’s quite handy to have.

Reactions: 1
Has anyone found having a Moses basket useful? I’ve got one on my list to buy, but I’m wondering how much it’ll be used. We have a next to me and a purflo for upstairs, so I was thinking the Moses would be handy to keep downstairs.
I used to bring the purflo into the living room and he would go in it on the sofa, sometimes my partner would lift the top of the snuzpod for me and bring it in. We had a stage of him napping in the pram too. Didn't bother with a moses basket!

I swear Drs have used covid as an excuse to do absolutely buggar all (GPs, obvs not hospital drs!). Ours now do your 6 week check at 8 weeks with baby’s check, which is fine but I was like “erm well what do I do about driving?” I couldn't drive until my GP signed me off as per my insurance, so I had to push for an appointment to get that sorted. Useless.
I’m not due til aug/sept but like keeping an eye on this thread for tips from you guys but wanted to add I had a risk assessment at work from the occupational health GP and when I said I felt unsafe at work he said ‘well GP’s have had to work through the pandemic’
Yeah over the phone!!!
Bloody useless

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 7
I’m not due til aug/sept but like keeping an eye on this thread for tips from you guys but wanted to add I had a risk assessment at work from the occupational health GP and when I said I felt unsafe at work he said ‘well GPS have had to work through the pandemic’
Yeah over the phone!!!
Bloody useless
bloody hell, so have supermarket workers, who don’t get paid half as much, and came in to contact with 100 times more people. That fella needs a reality check!

Reactions: 3
I’m not due til aug/sept but like keeping an eye on this thread for tips from you guys but wanted to add I had a risk assessment at work from the occupational health GP and when I said I felt unsafe at work he said ‘well GPS have had to work through the pandemic’
Yeah over the phone!!!
Bloody useless
When do you plan on leaving? I didn’t feel safe at work last year and as I worked in a supermarket there wasn’t a role I could do that wasn’t customer facing. I got a sick note for anxiety in the end then took 2 weeks unpaid so I could leave earlier. I could have started my maternity leave rather than take 2 weeks unpaid but my return date was after my son starts reception and I didn’t want to be at work when he starts.

When do you plan on leaving? I didn’t feel safe at work last year and as I worked in a supermarket there wasn’t a role I could do that wasn’t customer facing. I got a sick note for anxiety in the end then took 2 weeks unpaid so I could leave earlier. I could have started my maternity leave rather than take 2 weeks unpaid but my return date was after my son starts reception and I didn’t want to be at work when he starts.
It’s scary isn’t it! Occupational health dr put me down as medium risk but NHS sent me a vaccine letter saying I could have severe complications if I get covid. I had to fight to be heard. OH told me to go back to work in the end
I’m a primary school teacher so I only had to do 3 weeks in school before I could WFH at 28 weeks pregnant (high risk so went on gov guidance, head teacher wasn’t happy and may have difficulty when I return with days I want). I may need to do one week in school again if Boris stops WFH July 19th 🤷🏼‍♀️

We found buying a Next To Me crib a lot more useful that the Moses basket- mostly because they last longer- all my babies have been very long and were only able to use the Moses basket for a short amount of time.
We have one for upstairs and downstairs, & use them everyday. They also fold away so are ideal to take on holiday or nights away.
We brought ours from Lidl for £50 each during their baby event.

Ladies I moved my 5 month old into kendamil milk about 2 weeks ago. So far she is much happier and eating better however she has barely pooed since Saturday and when she does it’s a very dark green and doesn’t have that sweet sickly smell of baby poo. Do you think I should be concerned? Has anyone had similar experience?

It’s scary isn’t it! Occupational health dr put me down as medium risk but NHS sent me a vaccine letter saying I could have severe complications if I get covid. I had to fight to be heard. OH told me to go back to work in the end
I’m a primary school teacher so I only had to do 3 weeks in school before I could WFH at 28 weeks pregnant (high risk so went on gov guidance, head teacher wasn’t happy and may have difficulty when I return with days I want). I may need to do one week in school again if Boris stops WFH July 19th 🤷🏼‍♀️
I had to fight my work too as the guidance when I was pregnant says if youre over 28weeks you should be working from home and if that's not possible, you should be signed off on full pay. I can't do my actual job from home but my manager said I could do emails/catch up on training etc so we kept contacting HR who always pussyfooted around the highlighted guidance. Eventually my manager told me to go off sick and I'd get my full pay so I did. I didn't feel safe in my work I work in a large open office space with no clean ventilation and no windows open. People were testing positive for covid left, right and centre. There was a high turnover rate of sickness due to track and trace contacting people due to colleagues testing positive, but they couldn't manage so told people they had to come back

Reactions: 2
Ladies I moved my 5 month old into kendamil milk about 2 weeks ago. So far she is much happier and eating better however she has barely pooed since Saturday and when she does it’s a very dark green and doesn’t have that sweet sickly smell of baby poo. Do you think I should be concerned? Has anyone had similar experience?
I'm on a facebook group called Kendamums as I wanted to switch my baby to it but since found out he's got CMPA - there's so many posts on there about dark green poops and taking a while to settle into a regular pooing routine!

I'm on a facebook group called Kendamums as I wanted to switch my baby to it but since found out he's got CMPA - there's so many posts on there about dark green poops and taking a while to settle into a regular pooing routine!
Ah thank you that’s a relief. If it’s normal I’m hoping it will settle. Going to look on fb now 😂

• Heart
I had to fight my work too as the guidance when I was pregnant says if youre over 28weeks you should be working from home and if that's not possible, you should be signed off on full pay. I can't do my actual job from home but my manager said I could do emails/catch up on training etc so we kept contacting HR who always pussyfooted around the highlighted guidance. Eventually my manager told me to go off sick and I'd get my full pay so I did. I didn't feel safe in my work I work in a large open office space with no clean ventilation and no windows open. People were testing positive for covid left, right and centre. There was a high turnover rate of sickness due to track and trace contacting people due to colleagues testing positive, but they couldn't manage so told people they had to come back
I don’t want to block the thread but yes my manager also told me to go off sick with anxiety but I didn’t want it on my record so I did the 3 weeks then was out of there as soon as I could, they wanted me to do more but my partner wouldn’t let me go a day over 28 weeks because small children can’t distance from me x

• Heart
Ah thank you that’s a relief. If it’s normal I’m hoping it will settle. Going to look on fb now 😂
I haven't got experience with that milk, but I'm not sure if it's maybe to do with their bodies adjusting. Cow and Gate have just changed their formula slightly and it's changed her poop to a dark green colour ever since they changed it and she now only poops every 3 days or so but when she goes, it's still soft so HV said it isn't a concern

I’ve just discovered this thread, pleeeeeeeease can I ask some advice? My daughter is 2 days old and will only sleep on me or my partner, she usually falls asleep whilst breastfeeding and then I try and put her down in her next to me really slow and softly and she instantly wakes and cries so I cuddle her. We’re taking it in turns to have 2 hour sleeps whilst the other holds her but we’re both very tired and I’m petrified of one of us falling asleep with her in our arms😫

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I moved my little one onto kendamil too, it’s sooooo much better! He had dark green poos for a couple of weeks. I wouldn’t worry, your baby will just be getting used to it 😊

I’ve just discovered this thread, pleeeeeeeease can I ask some advice? My daughter is 2 days old and will only sleep on me or my partner, she usually falls asleep whilst breastfeeding and then I try and put her down in her next to me really slow and softly and she instantly wakes and cries so I cuddle her. We’re taking it in turns to have 2 hour sleeps whilst the other holds her but we’re both very tired and I’m petrified of one of us falling asleep with her in our arms😫
Contratulations! It’s more than likely because she’s so used to being inside you all warm and cosy. Can you wear a sling in the day? At night time, I’m not sure... could you try swaddling her? I’ve seen people put hot water bottles in cots and then remove it shortly before baby is put down so it feels a bit warmer for them x

Congratulations!
From what I understand, it may help to try white noise too, there’s lots for free if you google, heartbeat noises or just general white noise.
A ‘rockit’baby rocker device you could consider too. It is all about mimicking that environment inside -
Warm (the hot water bottle), tight space (swaddle), ambient noise (YouTube white noise for baby), movement
Keep googling fourth trimester, it is such a shock for them to be on the outside and the next to me is a great big open space when they’re so tiny 💕

Contratulations! It’s more than likely because she’s so used to being inside you all warm and cosy. Can you wear a sling in the day? At night time, I’m not sure... could you try swaddling her? I’ve seen people put hot water bottles in cots and then remove it shortly before baby is put down so it feels a bit warmer for them x

Reactions: 2
Congratulations!! 🥰 What you’ve described is 100% normal newborn behaviour. All she knows is being cuddled up inside you, and the big world is bright and loud, and cold and hard. Being in your arms is familiar, and warm and cosy. It sounds like you’re doing a great job of meeting her needs. Read up on the fourth trimester, and you’ll feel more confident that you’re not doing anything wrong, and this is all normal baby.

For daytime you could use a sling like a close caboo or a stretchy to keep her close, safe and keep you hands free. At night time you could try safe bedsharing. I’ll pop some links below for you.

Reactions: 3
Ok so yesterday baby missed his bedtime feed as he was totally shattered, (6pmish) he started stirring at maybe.. 9pm? So I thought hmmm I’ll attempt a dream feed, never done one before but he went back down straight away, I slept straight after as I was knackered too. Anyway.... he woke up at 6.30am 😳😳😳 my first solid 9 hour sleep in 4 months! This probably won’t happen again for a while haha but I’m very happy this morning!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Ok so yesterday baby missed his bedtime feed as he was totally shattered, (6pmish) he started stirring at maybe.. 9pm? So I thought hmmm I’ll attempt a dream feed, never done one before but he went back down straight away, I slept straight after as I was knackered too. Anyway.... he woke up at 6.30am 😳😳😳 my first solid 9 hour sleep in 4 months! This probably won’t happen again for a while haha but I’m very happy this morning!
Sounds like you both needed a good long sleep! Hopefully it’s the start of good nights to come 🤞🏻

Totally normal, we had this for a couple of weeks. The next to me is huge for them at the beginning, they're used to being in such a tight space! Like others, I'd recommend swaddling and a sling for the day time. It does get easier! They're just figuring out this big world after being inside you for 9 months. I remember doing shifts like that! What are your thoughts on co-sleeping? Not for everyone but got me some extra sleep in the early days.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.