New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok, so I was admitted with reduced movements last night. Diagnosed with preeclampsia and they have scheduled my C-section for tomorrow.

Help šŸ˜³
Shocked, nervous, excited..all in one!
Good luck! Try and get some sleep tonight! Just take everything as it comes, you will be fine! How exciting you will meet your baby tomorrow!

Reactions: 2
Ok, so I was admitted with reduced movements last night. Diagnosed with preeclampsia and they have scheduled my C-section for tomorrow.

Help šŸ˜³
Oh goodness, hope you and baby are both doing ok this evening. Best of luck for tomorrow, canā€™t wait to hear your news!

Reactions: 2

Help šŸ˜³
Good luck mumma. Donā€™t stress youā€™re in safe hands and everything is going to be fine xx

Reactions: 1
Awwww I can imagine but tomorrow you will meet your beautiful baby. Iā€™l be thinking of you xx
Thank you xxx

Good luck! Try and get some sleep tonight! Just take everything as it comes, you will be fine! How exciting you will meet your baby tomorrow!
Felt weird reading that back šŸ¤ÆšŸ¤Æ itā€™s so unexpected but definitely welcome cause of the complications of preeclampsia !
Iā€™m in a side room so hoping I can sleep enough to be recharged for the op xx

Oh goodness, hope you and baby are both doing ok this evening. Best of luck for tomorrow, canā€™t wait to hear your news!
Were both actually ok, my blood pressure was sky high and they found high traces of protein in my urine , I didnā€™t actually feel unwell so I was lucky.
Babys movements have been abit off but its cause I had steroid injections so they said it would make him slightly idle and sleepy. Every so often he gives me a kick! Iā€™m gonna miss him kicking and moving about šŸ™ƒ I guess it has to end at some point!
Il try to update the thread when Iā€™m up too it xx

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Help šŸ˜³
Good luck and sending lots of baby love!!

Get lots of lavender oil if you are having a vaginal birth. This was an absolute godsend for me. I soaked my pads in it and put it in my baths and it really helped.

The only other advice is to not have any visitors you donā€™t want! I didnā€™t dare say no to anybody with my first baby in case I looked rude, but I really struggled to breastfeed and I remember sitting upstairs really struggling and being paranoid I had visitors downstairs waiting to meet the baby. In hindsight I wish I told them to just leave and let me concentrate on feeding my baby. Itā€™s definitely something Iā€™d do with my next.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My advice would be to watch your moods! I watched out for mine after baby #1 and was convinced I was mentally fine after the first 3 months. As time went on I was SO emotional, crying over every little thing, angry over every little thing.. at 1 year postpartum it all came to a head when I was suicidal and I was diagnosed with moderate postpartum depression and it suddenly all made sense.

Second time around, Iā€™m not half as emotional over milestones, etc. It all makes sense now I can look back and compare both pregnancies/births.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Get lots of lavender oil if you are having a vaginal birth. This was an absolute godsend for me. I soaked my pads in it and put it in my baths and it really helped.

The only other advice is to not have any visitors you donā€™t want! I didnā€™t dare say no to anybody with my first baby in case I looked rude, but I really struggled to breastfeed and I remember sitting upstairs really struggling and being paranoid I had visitors downstairs waiting to meet the baby. In hindsight I wish I told them to just leave and let me concentrate on feeding my baby. Itā€™s definitely something Iā€™d do with my next.
100% this! Iā€™m actually glad weā€™re going to be in a partial lockdown still and no one can come round to visit. The first day we were home we had visitors from 9am-11pm and the only times I held him were when I went off too feed him upstairs. I still canā€™t look at photos of people holding him from that day now it makes me too sad. Biggest regret I have.
I remember it was 10pm and he was crying as he was due a feed and my sister in law was holding him telling him it was fine for him to cry, I was mortified looked at my husband who just looked at me distressed. I snapped shouted give me my baby back, took him away and she followed me to our bedroom shouting at my husband I was depressed. I wasnā€™t I was 2 days pp my baby was crying for milk and you wouldnā€™t let me have him,I had spent the last 2 hours sitting on our lounge floor while they all sat on the sofa while I was sore and swollen from stitches and I was tired and hungry after only eating biscuits all dayšŸ˜¢

didnt intend to go into that but it feels like therapy finally admitting that! Not been able too before šŸ™ˆ

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
100% this! Iā€™m actually glad weā€™re going to be in a partial lockdown still and no one can come round to visit. The first day we were home we had visitors from 9am-11pm and the only times I held him were when I went off too feed him upstairs. I still canā€™t look at photos of people holding him from that day now it makes me too sad. Biggest regret I have.
I remember it was 10pm and he was crying as he was due a feed and my sister in law was holding him telling him it was fine for him to cry, I was mortified looked at my husband who just looked at me distressed. I snapped shouted give me my baby back, took him away and she followed me to our bedroom shouting at my husband I was depressed. I wasnā€™t I was 2 days pp my baby was crying for milk and you wouldnā€™t let me have him,I had spent the last 2 hours sitting on our lounge floor while they all sat on the sofa while I was sore and swollen from stitches and I was tired and hungry after only eating biscuits all dayšŸ˜¢

didnt intend to go into that but it feels like therapy finally admitting that! Not been able too before šŸ™ˆ
I have heard far too many stories like this. Ones where new mum is expected to be making tea/coffee/snacks for everyone and play hostess while baby is passed round Like a parcel šŸ˜ž

With our first, my in laws had arranged to come over and stay 3 days after her birth (I was induced and they live in another country). I said to my husband I would prefer they stayed elsewhere, just with my parents, as I didnā€™t know how Iā€™d feel, how feeding would be etc. I know they were really offended, but far too nice to say anything! All was fine in the end and the could have stayed, but Iā€™m still glad I did it.

Now I welcome them ASAP after birth for as long as possible to help with the older kids šŸ¤£ my MIL stayed for a week last time and Iā€™m gutted she wonā€™t be able to this time!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I definitely agree with the keeping visitors at bay. Lockdown or no lockdown, itā€™s so important. I did a breastfeeding workshop and the lady who ran it talked about the importance of not getting overwhelmed with visitors and taking the time to recover and establish feeding with baby. There were mums there who had had people just turning up with the first šŸ„ŗ just remember you donā€™t have to answer the door and also your partner could just say you and baby are asleep and theyā€™ll contact you with a better time. You have to be firm and people have to respect that you need time and space to recover.

I had a very difficult birth and an episiotomy that resulted in 3 cuts. I could barely walk, had to be helped to sit and get off the sofa. I couldnā€™t get into bed for a few days so we slept on our sofa. My stitches were just so painful and uncomfortable.

Luckily anyone wanting to visit were understanding and waited for an invite and weā€™d just say it was for an hour and picked a time so theyā€™d have to leave just before dinner or a midwife visit. The only time we went over was my husband parents visited on the hottest day ever (34 degrees šŸ„µ). We asked them to come an hour before our midwife was due. The midwife was really late and they stayed. As it was so hot and I was feeding, I should have drank so much but I forgot and then ended up feeling awful later that day with dehydration.

@Heybooboo Iā€™m so sorry! That sounds awful and I can totally relate to how distressing that must have been. I canā€™t believe they made you sit on the floor šŸ˜” I could barely sit on my sofa so thereā€™s no way Iā€™d have been able to get onto the floor. I remember when my uncle visited my daughter would get uncomfortable with wind and it was better to hold her upright. He held her laying down and she was whimpering and my mum asked him to put her more upright but he ignored her. So my mum went over and readjusted her and he told her she was interfering. My mum was only there as she knew theyā€™d be overbearing and overstay their welcome.

Then when we did a huge 30th party for my husband, Iā€™d been in a really dark place with breastfeeding (baby had a tongue tie, health visitors had hounded me every day about her weight, saying they wanted to support breastfeeding while trying to force me onto a prescription high calorie formula, my daughter wouldnā€™t take a bottle so I couldnā€™t even supplement with normal formula, they tried to get us admitted to hospital for failure to thrive but no GP ever agreed to it which they blamed me for, which led to them on some witch hunt against me, until finally I got given the contact details for my local infant feeding coordinator from someone at a volunteer breastfeeding group, the coordinator found the TT and I went private to have it cut and it saved our BF journey) so my mental health was in tatters. Iā€™d still had the health visitors breathing down my neck and I was feeling very vulnerable. My uncle kept making comments all night at the party to everyone about my mum holding my daughter. This was around the time coronavirus was surfacing, although nobody knew what it was, we agreed our baby wouldnā€™t be passed around at the party to avoid germs and to make it easier to feed on demand, only me my husband and my mum would hold her because we knew her feeding cues. She was feeding a lot because weā€™d been set back on our breastfeeding journey. Most people understood except my uncle. Kept telling people my daughter was mollycoddled and my mum was controlling etc. All the while not even bothering to ask if we were ok or why we were being careful or why it was important I fed my daughter on demand (he even said she was a bit old to feed at 4 months old šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø). As the night went on, she got irritable as sheā€™d missed her afternoon nap as my uncle and his family were meant to help us decorate but didnā€™t turn up. So we did it all alone, then literally had 10 minutes to get ready for a fancy dress party and when I kept trying to find quieter places to feed her and settle her, perhaps have a nap, I ended up outside in my car. Silly me, sat with the engine on, the heater and radio. The battery died and my uncles house was nearby so he sent his wife to get jump leads for me. Made sure to open the door and tell me I was making a rod for my own back and my daughter just needed to get used to noise and parties. Didnā€™t ask if I needed anything like a drink.

A lot of people donā€™t understand baby behaviour and thereā€™s too many ā€œexpertsā€ out there. Iā€™ve always followed my daughter and let her lead the way. Iā€™ve researched everything like weaning so I know Iā€™m doing what is right for now, not what people did in the 80s. Mothers instinct is very powerful and being baby led has always worked for us šŸ„° itā€™s your baby and your decisions at the end of the day

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I definitely agree with the keeping visitors at bay. Lockdown or no lockdown, itā€™s so important. I did a breastfeeding workshop and the lady who ran it talked about the importance of not getting overwhelmed with visitors and taking the time to recover and establish feeding with baby. There were mums there who had had people just turning up with the first šŸ„ŗ just remember you donā€™t have to answer the door and also your partner could just say you and baby are asleep and theyā€™ll contact you with a better time. You have to be firm and people have to respect that you need time and space to recover.

I had a very difficult birth and an episiotomy that resulted in 3 cuts. I could barely walk, had to be helped to sit and get off the sofa. I couldnā€™t get into bed for a few days so we slept on our sofa. My stitches were just so painful and uncomfortable.

Luckily anyone wanting to visit were understanding and waited for an invite and weā€™d just say it was for an hour and picked a time so theyā€™d have to leave just before dinner or a midwife visit. The only time we went over was my husband parents visited on the hottest day ever (34 degrees šŸ„µ). We asked them to come an hour before our midwife was due. The midwife was really late and they stayed. As it was so hot and I was feeding, I should have drank so much but I forgot and then ended up feeling awful later that day with dehydration.

@Heybooboo Iā€™m so sorry! That sounds awful and I can totally relate to how distressing that must have been. I canā€™t believe they made you sit on the floor šŸ˜” I could barely sit on my sofa so thereā€™s no way Iā€™d have been able to get onto the floor. I remember when my uncle visited my daughter would get uncomfortable with wind and it was better to hold her upright. He held her laying down and she was whimpering and my mum asked him to put her more upright but he ignored her. So my mum went over and readjusted her and he told her she was interfering. My mum was only there as she knew theyā€™d be overbearing and overstay their welcome.

Then when we did a huge 30th party for my husband, Iā€™d been in a really dark place with breastfeeding (baby had a tongue tie, health visitors had hounded me every day about her weight, saying they wanted to support breastfeeding while trying to force me onto a prescription high calorie formula, my daughter wouldnā€™t take a bottle so I couldnā€™t even supplement with normal formula, they tried to get us admitted to hospital for failure to thrive but no GP ever agreed to it which they blamed me for, which led to them on some witch hunt against me, until finally I got given the contact details for my local infant feeding coordinator from someone at a volunteer breastfeeding group, the coordinator found the TT and I went private to have it cut and it saved our BF journey) so my mental health was in tatters. Iā€™d still had the health visitors breathing down my neck and I was feeling very vulnerable. My uncle kept making comments all night at the party to everyone about my mum holding my daughter. This was around the time coronavirus was surfacing, although nobody knew what it was, we agreed our baby wouldnā€™t be passed around at the party to avoid germs and to make it easier to feed on demand, only me my husband and my mum would hold her because we knew her feeding cues. She was feeding a lot because weā€™d been set back on our breastfeeding journey. Most people understood except my uncle. Kept telling people my daughter was mollycoddled and my mum was controlling etc. All the while not even bothering to ask if we were ok or why we were being careful or why it was important I fed my daughter on demand (he even said she was a bit old to feed at 4 months old šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø). As the night went on, she got irritable as sheā€™d missed her afternoon nap as my uncle and his family were meant to help us decorate but didnā€™t turn up. So we did it all alone, then literally had 10 minutes to get ready for a fancy dress party and when I kept trying to find quieter places to feed her and settle her, perhaps have a nap, I ended up outside in my car. Silly me, sat with the engine on, the heater and radio. The battery died and my uncles house was nearby so he sent his wife to get jump leads for me. Made sure to open the door and tell me I was making a rod for my own back and my daughter just needed to get used to noise and parties. Didnā€™t ask if I needed anything like a drink.

A lot of people donā€™t understand baby behaviour and thereā€™s too many ā€œexpertsā€ out there. Iā€™ve always followed my daughter and let her lead the way. Iā€™ve researched everything like weaning so I know Iā€™m doing what is right for now, not what people did in the 80s. Mothers instinct is very powerful and being baby led has always worked for us šŸ„° itā€™s your baby and your decisions at the end of the day
Your uncle sounds like a bit of a dick šŸ™ˆ I know a lot of the older generation just donā€™t ā€œgetā€ that we donā€™t parent the way they did, which is fine, Iā€™m sure one day Iā€™ll be the same. But donā€™t be a dick about it.

When I had my first, he was due around Christmas and my brother in law and his partner had come down for Christmas as they live far away. My baby was very poorly at birth and we had to stay in nicu for a few days. We were eventually allowed home after 5 days and my brother in law and his partner were going back home that night. We were discharged at about 8pm and they phoned asking if they could come round to meet the baby as no one had been able to visit in hospital as my baby had been in Nicu. We reluctantly agreed and when they came over they ordered takeaway and stayed until about 11pm! I was so shattered, weā€™d had basically no sleep for about a week and they didnā€™t seem all that interested in the baby anyway! 2nd time around we were a lot more strict about visitors!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Glad for this thread.

am meant to be getting induced in a few weeks, but have heard horror stories from my 2 friends about how they werenā€™t given any pain relief (not even gas and air) till delivery room!

can anyone shed light on their induction experience?

i have already had one baby, was meant to get induced with her but she came early and it all happened so quickly so laboured at home and was ready to push by the time i got to hospital, managed to have gas and air at the end!

If I went into natural labour i think iā€™d be more relaxed but have heard how Intense it is with induction and think Iā€™ll definitely need something earlier in that case.

more worried about labour this time around tbh because I know whatā€™s in store šŸ¤£

When I had my first, he was due around Christmas and my brother in law and his partner had come down for Christmas as they live far away. My baby was very poorly at birth and we had to stay in nicu for a few days. We were eventually allowed home after 5 days and my brother in law and his partner were going back home that night. We were discharged at about 8pm and they phoned asking if they could come round to meet the baby as no one had been able to visit in hospital as my baby had been in Nicu. We reluctantly agreed and when they came over they ordered takeaway and stayed until about 11pm! I was so shattered, weā€™d had basically no sleep for about a week and they didnā€™t seem all that interested in the baby anyway! 2nd time around we were a lot more strict about visitors!
That has actually reminded me that my SIL had decided she was going to come and stay with us on the day I was going in to be induced. She asked my husband would he pick her up at the station (she had been elsewhere and had gotten the train up) and would he be able to run her round! She didnā€™t get it when he was like ā€œerm no- we will be at the hospital!ā€ She then said we could give her a key and she could just stay at ours until we came home. Absolutely not, matey. I told my husband to give her the address of places to stay, and in the end there was absolutely no point to her visit as my induction went on quite long and she was away before I was out. Some people are just idiots.

Glad for this thread.

am meant to be getting induced in a few weeks, but have heard horror stories from my 2 friends about how they werenā€™t given any pain relief (not even gas and air) till delivery room!

i have already had one baby, was meant to get induced with her but she came early and it all happened so quickly so laboured at home and was ready to push by the time i got to hospital, managed to have gas and air at the end!

If I went into natural labour i think iā€™d be more relaxed but have heard how Intense it is with induction and think Iā€™ll definitely need something earlier in that case.

more worried about labour this time around tbh because I know whatā€™s in store šŸ¤£
I was induced with babies 1&2. Both times I was able to have G&A, over the counter pain and a bath for pain relief while still on the induction ward. I donā€™t have natural labour to compare it to, but people do say it is much more intense in terms of contractions and pain. But you will be fine. I survived and I am an absolute wimp! Honestly I am the worst with pain šŸ™ˆ

• Heart
I think with Covid itā€™s completely fair enough to expect people to call ahead and ask before visiting anyway. Even once the restrictions lift, Iā€™ll be being very careful with who is around my newborn and the idea of people just turning up isnā€™t appealing at all. I would always call ahead before visiting a new baby - what if theyā€™re just chilling out, not showered, havenā€™t slept, just not in the mood to see people?

It seems like as soon as thereā€™s a new baby thatā€™s what everyone focuses on and thereā€™s not much thought given to the parents.

• Heart
Your uncle sounds like a bit of a dick šŸ™ˆ I know a lot of the older generation just donā€™t ā€œgetā€ that we donā€™t parent the way they did, which is fine, Iā€™m sure one day Iā€™ll be the same. But donā€™t be a dick about it.
Exactly! His downfall is he thinks he knows everything and knows best. Heā€™s ruined his relationship with me because I got sick of it and it hurt. I just needed support and understanding. I think like you say some of the older generation think they know everything, luckily my mum and mother in law just accepted all of the new things like weaning around 6m ā˜ŗ

If restrictions allow, are you able to bubble with your MIL? You could really do with her support again and I honestly donā€™t know how weā€™d have managed without my mum and my daughter was our first.

When I was induced I had paracetamol and diamorphine but no gas and air until the delivery suite. I donā€™t have a natural labour to compare to either but honestly my contractions werenā€™t that bad. I was induced at about 10am and had my baby at 4:44 am the next day so itā€™s not always a really long labour.

My other half can only take a week off after my c-section so my dad is taking the week off after that to help with the school run for my eldest and heā€™ll pop by to help with the toddler if needed. Iā€™m hoping he doesnā€™t bring the whole clan along. Thereā€™s my mum, and then my brother still lives at home and heā€™s on furlough. My family have a tendency to visit (before lockdown I should add) and stay for the entire day. I can imagine them all popping by sat in our tiny living room while Iā€™m trying to establish breastfeeding (first time breastfeeding so Iā€™m clueless) so I perhaps need to say something now to give them a heads up about expectations. Not sure what to say that isnā€™t, ā€œPlease donā€™t all come round for the entire dayā€ šŸ˜¬

Reactions: 4
Exactly! His downfall is he thinks he knows everything and knows best. Heā€™s ruined his relationship with me because I got sick of it and it hurt. I just needed support and understanding. I think like you say some of the older generation think they know everything, luckily my mum and mother in law just accepted all of the new things like weaning around 6m ā˜ŗ

If restrictions allow, are you able to bubble with your MIL? You could really do with her support again and I honestly donā€™t know how weā€™d have managed without my mum and my daughter was our first.
No we bubble with my parents, and my MIL canā€™t travel in to our country without a 10 day quarantine period so we wonā€™t be able to see her until all the restrictions are lifted, unfortunately. My parents will do all the school runs for me (Iā€™m having a section) and take my toddler a few days, which is a big help though.

Glad for this thread.

I was induced in January. I was terrified as had read so many horror stories.

Mine was all positive tho and was a really quick induction (I didnā€™t even make it to the labour ward). The only negative was that my partner missed the birth due to how fast it was.

My contractions with my 2nd baby (natural labour) were way more intense than my induced contractions. But I know itā€™s different for everyone.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.