New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m 4 weeks post section and honestly wouldn’t even know I had one now. The first couple of weeks get as much rest as you can and do NOT push yourself.

Thank you :):)

So for those with newborns or who have had other babies has anyone’s baby suffered with constipation? This is my second baby but had no issues like this with first. She’s formula fed and her poos are like little pellets and so solid.
Thank you ❤ I had a section last time and it went very smoothly so just praying for the same this time!

Could the issue be the type of formula? Have you chatted to your health visitor about it?

Thank you both! I’m just so squeamish and the thought of it all is terrifying I’m just scared I won’t be able to stay calm and relax. I heard you feel the tugging and pulling too that makes me feel ill 🙈🤢
It’s pathetic I know, no birth is great but atleast I know what happens with a vaginal birth I felt more comfortable
I've had 2 sections, one emergency and one elective. I didn't feel a thing either time during the surgery and I also didn't feel the needle going in for the spinal. My elective was amazing they put music on and everyone was really calm and chatty it was brilliant!!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
So glad you said this about maternity pads. I saw someone say on another thread recently they barely bled, just like a period for a few days. Meanwhile I’m over here gushing blood for up to 6 weeks afterwards! So I thought there was something wrong with me all these post partum times! 🤣
Mine kept stopping and then 2 days later would just gush out so didn’t dare not wear pads for at least 4 weeks.

Reactions: 2
I’m having an elective C section in 5 weeks time. I’m more concerned about the after op, will I be able to look after my baby if I’m still recovering? It worries me il be in too much pain to do a lot for him 😥😥

Reactions: 1
I’m having an elective C section in 5 weeks time. I’m more concerned about the after op, will I be able to look after my baby if I’m still recovering? It worries me il be in too much pain to do a lot for him 😥😥
As long as you keep on top of pain relief you should be fine. I’ve had two cesareans (one emergency and one elective). I didn’t manage my pain well the first time (overestimated myself) and it was very sore. The second time I kept on top of it having learnt from the first time and it was a lot easier. It also helps if you have another pair of hands around to help out and to give you a break. Do you have a good support system at home?

Mine kept stopping and then 2 days later would just gush out so didn’t dare not wear pads for at least 4 weeks.
God mine was the same. Had to rush to hopsital one day as I bled so much out of the blue and then within 2 days it had stopped again. Still not confident it’s fully stopped!

One of the midwives said something to me after my first c section that stuck with me - if you’d had that kind of surgery for anything else you’d be on a morphine drip and bed rest but for a c section you’re given over the counter pain relief and a baby to look after so go easy on yourself.
Rest as much as possible and don’t try and be super mum. You’ve just had major surgery and the only thing that really matters is recovering and your baby x

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Do you mean in hospital? The first twelve hours you will probably have your catheter in, which makes things a bit tricky but midwives will be happy to help you out (or should be!) But even then I never had a problem sorting baby. And after that 12 hours as others have said keep on top of your pain relief and you will be absolutely fine to look after him. They are so tiny that lifting them isn’t an issue to cause pain. When home, just be cautious and don’t push yourself, make sure you have everything close at hand and go slow and steady in those first days. But I can honestly say I didn’t have any issues at all after my section (and I had two older kids as well) x

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My recovery from my elective was great. I kept on top of the medication they gave me and I kept myself moving but didn’t overdo it. If you can, have help around you so they can do everything else while you focus on the baby. If you need something off the floor, or you just want a cup of tea, an extra pair of hands to do those things is best! But I felt pretty much back to myself after a couple of weeks. There’s no normal timeframe though. Don’t push yourself because you think you should be fully recovered by X time. Listen to your body and take things one day at a time.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
God mine was the same. Had to rush to hopsital one day as I bled so much out of the blue and then within 2 days it had stopped again. Still not confident it’s fully stopped!

One of the midwives said something to me after my first c section that stuck with me - if you’d had that kind of surgery for anything else you’d be on a morphine drip and bed rest but for a c section you’re given over the counter pain relief and a baby to look after so go easy on yourself.
Rest as much as possible and don’t try and be super mum. You’ve just had major surgery and the only thing that really matters is recovering and your baby x
The midwife is right and yet this is a cultural problem within maternity units where women are expected to make do with inadequate pain relief purely because it is childbirth related and suffering is expected. There’s no reason why women should have to make do with OTC pain relief yet that is what many are given (or told to get themselves).
Dihydrocodeine is safe in breastfeeding as well if that is applicable so if you feel like ibuprofen and paracetamol aren’t cutting it then do ask for something better than this as it is unacceptable to leave women in pain the way some units do (not all but some)

Reactions: 10
It stopped properly about 4.5 weeks in then my period arrived bang on when she was 6 weeks old.

Dihydrocodeine is safe in breastfeeding as well if that is applicable so if you feel like ibuprofen and paracetamol aren’t cutting it then do ask for something better than this as it is unacceptable to leave women in pain the way some units do (not all but some)
I was sent home with that after a vaginal delivery but it made me feel so sick and spaced out I had to stop taking it.

• Wow
It stopped properly about 4.5 weeks in then my period arrived bang on when she was 6 weeks old.

I was sent home with that after a vaginal delivery but it made me feel so sick and spaced out I had to stop taking it.
Some people can’t metabolise codeine which might be why you had a bad time with it. But it still stands that people should be getting adequate pain relief in hospital whether that’s liquid morphine, codeine, diclofenac suppositories etc and should be given it to go home with.

Not had my first baby yet but I have had a couple of surgeries in that area. I plan to use these tips later this year when I give birth.

I took stool softeners following the surgery. I’d had stitches down there and couldn’t face the thought of it being difficult ‘to go’. They made it bearable.

I used disposable knickers (meant for incontinence) for the first week instead of odd and really rated them.

Used a small pillow under the seatbelt following abdominal surgery)- really helped talk some of the pressure off. Obviously not a massive pillow or it wouldn’t be safe. Also held my stitches when I coughed or sneezed x

As long as you keep on top of pain relief you should be fine. I’ve had two cesareans (one emergency and one elective). I didn’t manage my pain well the first time (overestimated myself) and it was very sore. The second time I kept on top of it having learnt from the first time and it was a lot easier. It also helps if you have another pair of hands around to help out and to give you a break. Do you have a good support system at home?
I think I will have to set an alarm
On my phone to remind to keep on top of the pain relief 🤣🤣
What sort of pain relief do they give you in hospital and sent home with?
Yeah I have my husband and I’m bubbling up with my parents too , my section will be around half term and as my mum is a teacher she’ll be over if I need any help. But my husband has got 4 weeks off so hopefully should be ok...but it’s so reassuring to know that she is there if we need her.

It’s funny you say that actually, I’ve had a laparoscopy via keyhole and I remember when I woke up they were pumping me with alsorts
Of pain relief, I wasn’t encouraged to move as such but was told whenever I felt ‘ready’ to get out of bed, I should do so. When I did eventually get out of bed I was found collapsed on the bathroom floor, they put it down to the drugs. The only scary looking incision was the one for my drip but I still felt I needed adequate pain relief to get me by, I wonder how il be when I have is it 6 layers cut open? 🥺 It does concern me that a procedure that is a lot less major than a C section can cause me to be like that..
however, like you say they only give you basic pain relief so hopefully i will listen to my body and just move as able as I can, I won’t over do it! I don’t fancy staying in hospital longer than I have too.
I’ve heard great things about the midwives that they help when you aren’t able too so that makes me feel better, I will try and do the majority of his care on the bed and not stand up straight away. Thank you for your kind words xx

Do you mean in hospital? The first twelve hours you will probably have your catheter in, which makes things a bit tricky but midwives will be happy to help you out (or should be!) But even then I never had a problem sorting baby. And after that 12 hours as others have said keep on top of your pain relief and you will be absolutely fine to look after him. They are so tiny that lifting them isn’t an issue to cause pain. When home, just be cautious and don’t push yourself, make sure you have everything close at hand and go slow and steady in those first days. But I can honestly say I didn’t have any issues at all after my section (and I had two older kids as well) x
This is great advice, thank you. How long did you have your catheter in for? I’ve had one before so know what to expect, it was a pain in the arse when trying to move about if I remember right 🤣
I’m a first time mum so hats off to you having kids at home to look after aswell, super mum xx

My recovery from my elective was great. I kept on top of the medication they gave me and I kept myself moving but didn’t overdo it. If you can, have help around you so they can do everything else while you focus on the baby. If you need something off the floor, or you just want a cup of tea, an extra pair of hands to do those things is best! But I felt pretty much back to myself after a couple of weeks. There’s no normal timeframe though. Don’t push yourself because you think you should be fully recovered by X time. Listen to your body and take things one day at a time.
Thank you for the advice.
I’ve got a very helpful husband and bubbling up with my parents so will have plenty of help if I need it! I should thank my lucky stars really cause not everyone has that luxury.

Last edited:
Some people can’t metabolise codeine which might be why you had a bad time with it. But it still stands that people should be getting adequate pain relief in hospital whether that’s liquid morphine, codeine, diclofenac suppositories etc and should be given it to go home with.
Oh yeah definitely ☺

The thing I think most people should be aware of when they have a c-section, as I wasn’t aware of this at all is that you may have to inject yourself with blood thinners for 10 days afterwards and you might have to wear compression stockings for a while after as well. I’m very squeamish so my partner did the injections for me. I had an emergency c-section but it was still very calm. I was very well looked after. At hospital they encourage you to get up and walk around after about 12 hours. I’ve had a vaginal birth and a c-section and although I was sore after the c-section it was never unmanageable and at least it didn’t sting everytime I went to the toilet!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
The thing I think most people should be aware of when they have a c-section, as I wasn’t aware of this at all is that you may have to inject yourself with blood thinners for 10 days afterwards and you might have to wear compression stockings for a while after as well. I’m very squeamish so my partner did the injections for me. I had an emergency c-section but it was still very calm. I was very well looked after. At hospital they encourage you to get up and walk around after about 12 hours. I’ve had a vaginal birth and a c-section and although I was sore after the c-section it was never unmanageable and at least it didn’t sting everytime I went to the toilet!
I also had these, think because it was baby number 3. I couldn’t inject myself 😬

You get used to the injections quickly. Day 1 I was all “aaahhhh 😱😱😱😱” stabbing myself while my husband hid 🤣 by day 10 it was no problem.

• Haha
You get used to the injections quickly. Day 1 I was all “aaahhhh 😱😱😱😱” stabbing myself while my husband hid 🤣 by day 10 it was no problem.
My friend had them for 6 weeks. 10 days was enough for me.

My partner seemed to enjoy injecting me 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.