New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The thing I think most people should be aware of when they have a c-section, as I wasn’t aware of this at all is that you may have to inject yourself with blood thinners for 10 days afterwards and you might have to wear compression stockings for a while after as well. I’m very squeamish so my partner did the injections for me. I had an emergency c-section but it was still very calm. I was very well looked after. At hospital they encourage you to get up and walk around after about 12 hours. I’ve had a vaginal birth and a c-section and although I was sore after the c-section it was never unmanageable and at least it didn’t sting everytime I went to the toilet!
Thank you for the warning! Like you say, we get to avoid the stinginess afterwards 🥲

Reactions: 2
My husband also liked giving the blood thinning injections. Felt like a pincushion after. 😂

Pain relief wise, I remember I had a schedule of naproxen, ibuprofen and paracetamol for aftercare. The first time I felt ok and delayed taking them and ended up suffering for it. I never missed them again after that. It really is advisable to take the pain on time, even if you don’t feel any pain.

Reactions: 3
I just wanted to say reading these posts is making it much less scary and more normal.

not that I don’t think a c section is a normal birth just wasn’t what I had planned

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I just wanted to say reading these posts is making it much less scary and more normal.

not that I don’t think a c section is a normal birth just wasn’t what I had planned
Honestly, having a c-section was the one thing I dreaded happening above all else when I became pregnant for the first time. I had never had surgery before, let alone a major operation. It turned out to be fine. We are stronger than we think and having a beautiful new baby to fawn over takes your mind off everything else. ❤

• Heart

I think It’s totally normal to feel worried about a section. You hear horror stories, and it is a massive operation at the end of the day. But if it were that bad I definitely would not be going for another! I think I said before it’s actually my best birth to date (out of 3) and I felt very calm and in control the whole time. Hoping I am as lucky this time!

• Heart
A few tips I always tell new mums

1. Use proper maternity pads especially if you have had stitches. Always ultra can dry it out a bit too much and make stitches irritated.

2. If you are on clexane/enoxaparin injections pinch your skin, inject and keep pinching until you take the needle out. It hurts a bit less and can help witb bruising.

3. Give yourself 6 weeks to heal and then do your pelvic floors. Honestly they are so important.

4. You will not burst your stitches when you have your first poo. But if you want you can use some folded tissue paper to gently press on your perineum if it helps you feel better. Also if you have had a section a folded towel pressed against your wound can help you feel more comfortable if you cough or sneeze.

5. Take anelgesia regularly. Don't wait for the pain to build, manage it straight away.

6.and relax and get to know your baby. Nothing else matters

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Everyone expected me to be scared of childbirth first time round because I faint at anything but I would say if it wasn’t that bad people wouldn’t have more babies they would stop at one! 😂

Reactions: 5

1. Use proper maternity pads especially if you have had stitches. Always ultra can dry it out a bit too much and make stitches irritated.

2. If you are on clexane/enoxaparin injections pinch your skin, inject and keep pinching until you take the needle out. It hurts a bit less and can help witb bruising.

3. Give yourself 6 weeks to heal and then do your pelvic floors. Honestly they are so important.

4. You will not burst your stitches when you have your first poo. But if you want you can use some folded tissue paper to gently press on your perineum if it helps you feel better. Also if you have had a section a folded towel pressed against your wound can help you feel more comfortable if you cough or sneeze.

5. Take anelgesia regularly. Don't wait for the pain to build, manage it straight away.

With the first poo, I always recommend eating lots of things like dried fruit during your hospital stay and afterwards. It can help keep things moving, and don’t think you’re out of the woods when you’re home - it takes time for your body to get back to normal again in all departments! (I had a particularly horrendous experience with my first, 3 weeks after birth!)

With the first poo, I always recommend eating lots of things like dried fruit during your hospital stay and afterwards. It can help keep things moving, and don’t think you’re out of the woods when you’re home - it takes time for your body to get back to normal again in all departments! (I had a particularly horrendous experience with my first, 3 weeks after birth!)
And drink too. We seem to neglect ourselves. I used to put bottles of water everywhere, by my bed, by my seat, in the changing bag etc so I could always remind myself to drink.

And drink too. We seem to neglect ourselves. I used to put bottles of water everywhere, by my bed, by my seat, in the changing bag etc so I could always remind myself to drink.
Definitely! I chug like a demon in hospital, not sure if everywhere is the same but mine requires 3 pees of 200ml+ (I think!) before they will discharge you, so I drink like someone caught in the desert 🤣 definitely helps keep everything moving too 👍🏻

Reactions: 1
Definitely! I chug like a demon in hospital, not sure if everywhere is the same but mine requires 3 pees of 200ml+ (I think!) before they will discharge you, so I drink like someone caught in the desert 🤣 definitely helps keep everything moving too 👍🏻
Is that after section? We ask for one void of 150ml for normal birth, two for trial after catheter

Is that after section? We ask for one void of 150ml for normal birth, two for trial after catheter
Nope, after any birth (I’ve had two vaginal and one section).

I’m actually worrying a bit about it as last time after my catheter was removed I had real trouble getting anything out. I needed to go (all the chugged water!) but just couldn’t get it out. They threatened to catheterise me again it went on for so long, and the fear made me able to wee 🤣 that and drinking whilst on the toilet with the tap running, and my other hand under it! But if that happens this time no way will I be out after 1 night.

I also had these, think because it was baby number 3. I couldn’t inject myself 😬
I’ve been stuck doing these since 28 weeks and have to continue until baby is 6 weeks. My belly is one big bruise these days!

Wish I’d read some of this pre baby! Will try pinching after my clexane next time to see if I bruise less!

• Sad
Biggest bit of advice I would give to all new mums is don’t let others unwanted opinions get to you. You are the baby’s mum and knows what’s best for them. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself and go with the flow xx

Oh just to add... take lactolose or whatever it’s called, basically a stool softener. It’s NOT a laxative. Can be bought at the pharmacy and honestly it’s a god send when trying to poo after birth. It’s like a shot that you take once a day. The first poo after my c section was HORRIFIC I very nearly called an ambulance. Second time around I made sure to take that and managed to poo absolutely fine. Sorry for TMI, but honestly it’s a god send! Xx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Currently 3 weeks PP with the first...my advice to anyone going in is take your own pillow! My lower back was in bits after the birth, couldn’t get comfortable and it took the load off whilst feeding. I got my husband to bring one for me!
Spritz for bits was a lifesaver with the stitches too I would 100% recommend it.
In regards to the first poo.... don’t rush it 😅

Reactions: 4
Currently 3 weeks PP with the first...my advice to anyone going in is take your own pillow! My lower back was in bits after the birth, couldn’t get comfortable and it took the load off whilst feeding. I got my husband to bring one for me!
Spritz for bits was a lifesaver with the stitches too I would 100% recommend it.
In regards to the first poo.... don’t rush it 😅
I don’t know if it is just our hospital but the pillows are VILE. They make my head sweat so much because they are plasticky. Absolutely horrible, so I definitely second your own pillow!

Ok, so I was admitted with reduced movements last night. Diagnosed with preeclampsia and they have scheduled my C-section for tomorrow.

Help 😳
Shocked, nervous, excited..all in one!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Ok, so I was admitted with reduced movements last night. Diagnosed with preeclampsia and they have scheduled my C-section for tomorrow.

Help 😳
Eek good luck! So exciting

• Heart

Help 😳
Awwww I can imagine but tomorrow you will meet your beautiful baby. I’l be thinking of you xx

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.