New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My little girl is only 3 weeks but she’s so long that I think she’ll have out grown her Moses basket in a couple of weeks. I’ve got a next to me for upstairs but it’s too heavy for me to take up and down the stairs everyday. What do you all use for downstairs/daytime sleep?
I used her pram but she got too big for it as well, I’m using a travel cot downstairs atm she’s 3 months

Our house has been really hot for the last couple of weeks so baby b has been sleeping in a vest. Tonight the temp has dropped so I tried to put him in a sleepsuit, he doesn’t fit into any and I haven’t got the next size up 😂 vest and leggings tonight then whoops

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Anyone any tips to help a baby that’s a bit constipated? She’s on carobel currently for silent reflux and it has really helped her, she has been on it for a few months and has been fine, but we upped her ozs of milk to 8ozs a few days ago as she’s sleeping through the night now and 6ozs wasn’t filling her anymore and we added an extra scoop of carobel as it’s one scoop per 2oz of milk and it’s made her a bit constipated, we’ve reduced the carobel back again so hoping it will help but any other tips/advice would be appreciated

Anyone any tips to help a baby that’s a bit constipated? She’s on carobel currently for silent reflux and it has really helped her, she has been on it for a few months and has been fine, but we upped her ozs of milk to 8ozs a few days ago as she’s sleeping through the night now and 6ozs wasn’t filling her anymore and we added an extra scoop of carobel as it’s one scoop per 2oz of milk and it’s made her a bit constipated, we’ve reduced the carobel back again so hoping it will help but any other tips/advice would be appreciated
How old is she? When was the last time she pooed, and how often would she normally go? Hopefully if you’ve reduced the carobel again it should resolve pretty quickly.

Reactions: 1
How old is she? When was the last time she pooed, and how often would she normally go? Hopefully if you’ve reduced the carobel again it should resolve pretty quickly.
Shes 3 months, she pooed yesterday but wasn’t very much and it was just one small lump and harder than her normal poo, similar happened the day before but she did a bit more. She usually fills her nappy normally when she does go and it’s usually 1/2 times a day she will go. Yes I’m hoping reducing it will help. My health visitor is calling out Monday morning so if things haven’t improved I will speak to her about it

Shes 3 months, she pooed yesterday but wasn’t very much and it was just one small lump and harder than her normal poo, similar happened the day before but she did a bit more. She usually fills her nappy normally when she does go and it’s usually 1/2 times a day she will go. Yes I’m hoping reducing it will help. My health visitor is calling out Monday morning so if things haven’t improved I will speak to her about it
It’s so hard with little ones when you can’t give them anything extra to encourage them to go. Possibly being made worse by the heat (assuming you’re one of the hot parts of the country over the last week - I’m not 🤣) as well.

I suppose trying the physical things like tummy rubs, the “I love you” massage, bicycling the legs etc may be a good place to start. Holding my baby in “tiger in the tree” position usually encourages movement in that area as well.

For constipation You can give them a few oz of cool boiled water between bottles to help them along, this always helped with my little one. Your HV should be able to prescribe some lactulose too if you need it, that definitely does the job. But yeah until you see her, a little extra water and bicycle legs and a warm bath.

My health visitor has a text service. This was the response I got regarding constipation but she was predominantly breast fed with the occasional bottle at the time so obviously the advice may well be different.
B2F9C26C-54F1-400E-8D26-9206743FFE64.jpeg

Reactions: 2
My health visitor has a text service. This was the response I got regarding constipation but she was predominantly breast fed with the occasional bottle at the time so obviously the advice may well be different.
View attachment 624006
Wow that’s so interesting and makes a lot of sense! At 1 week my daughter was really struggling with poos and I just assumed she was constipated, but when she did manage to go it was soft. I even spoke to my hv about it, and she said to do extra water etc, but what your hv has said makes a lot of sense and I think she might have this and not constipation.

Wow that’s so interesting and makes a lot of sense! At 1 week my daughter was really struggling with poos and I just assumed she was constipated, but when she did manage to go it was soft. I even spoke to my hv about it, and she said to do extra water etc, but what your hv has said makes a lot of sense and I think she might have this and not constipation.
In those early days when our little one sturggled with this, we found doing some tummy massage and bicycle legs really helped! There's a great youtube video that I used to follow. He exploded during it once and then usually within 30 mins of doing it!

Question for bottle fed mama’s - I can’t seem to think of another phrase other than “dicking around” maybe it’s cause I’m tired lol but any idea why my 13 wk old is dicking around on the bottle all of a sudden 🤣 he’s not latching onto it and just wants to chew the teat then take about an hour to feed. Literally started doing it within the last 48 hours. Surely this isn’t the start of teething? It’s taken him 30 mins to sink an oz just now and I give up, Ive put him in his crib and he’s just babbling away to himself so he’s fine but just weird he’s suddenly doing this?

Question for bottle fed mama’s - I can’t seem to think of another phrase other than “dicking around” maybe it’s cause I’m tired lol but any idea why my 13 wk old is dicking around on the bottle all of a sudden 🤣 he’s not latching onto it and just wants to chew the teat then take about an hour to feed. Literally started doing it within the last 48 hours. Surely this isn’t the start of teething? It’s taken him 30 mins to sink an oz just now and I give up, Ive put him in his crib and he’s just babbling away to himself so he’s fine but just weird he’s suddenly doing this?
Do you need to go up a teat size maybe? Might be getting bored if the milk is taking too long to come out! Weve gone up because he kept falling asleep during a feed and apparently that's a sign

Reactions: 3
Do you need to go up a teat size maybe? Might be getting bored if the milk is taking too long to come out! Weve gone up because he kept falling asleep during a feed and apparently that's a sign
I was about to respond with this. My baby did the same, around this time, we’ve gone up a teat size and it’s better. But I find he rushes it when he’s at the point of screaming and crying for a feed, so when he’s in that state I tend to stick to his usual teat to begin with and then when he stops for a break I change to the one up from it. Sounds a faff but it works for him…basically like a transition to the next size up!
I use mam bottles and teat no3 scared me cause it came out so fast, he was dribbling it all out the sides 😢

I was about to respond with this. My baby did the same, around this time, we’ve gone up a teat size and it’s better. But I find he rushes it when he’s at the point of screaming and crying for a feed, so when he’s in that state I tend to stick to his usual teat to begin with and then when he stops for a break I change to the one up from it. Sounds a faff but it works for him…basically like a transition to the next size up!
I use mam bottles and teat no3 scared me cause it came out so fast, he was dribbling it all out the sides 😢
It does sound like a faff but if it works faff away I say! We are on the 2s of Mam. I do love them. With my first i don't think we moved off the 2s.
Anyone lose dummies the same as they are losing their minds?! 🤣

We found the same with the 3s!!! It was spraying all over his face. We've tried twice now and had to go back to the 2s and he's 6 months next week. His CMPA milk is very thin though so don't think we will make it off the 2s, even though it means he has to do the bottle in 2/3 shifts!

Hmmm possibly! We use mam bottles and he moved up to size 2 at about 6 weeks old as feeds were taking forever and he was loads better! I might pick up a couple later on and do a trial run... see how we get on. His feed this morning was absolutely fine 🧐 who knows!

Hmmm possibly! We use mam bottles and he moved up to size 2 at about 6 weeks old as feeds were taking forever and he was loads better! I might pick up a couple later on and do a trial run... see how we get on. His feed this morning was absolutely fine 🧐 who knows!
Could it be that he's not actually that hungry for it? Maybe he's starting to go a bit longer. I know when my little one isn't fully ready, he messes around and bites down on the teat etc!

Its maybe not coming out the teat fast enough try a size 2 teat and see if it’s any better. My wee girl did similar at the beginning until we changed the teat. She’s on size 3 teats now at 3 months but she’s on carobel for reflux so her milk is thicker it doesn’t come through a size 2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.