New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Guys can I have some advice please how would you guys feel about this?

So I had my 2nd little girl a week ago, when I had my first little girl my mum died 4 weeks after she was born. One of my aunties has just text me to ask if she can have a lock of each of my girls hair to put in a box and bury with my mum. Like dig a hole above her coffin and put the box in there.

The idea horrifies me actually and it’s made me really upset. Am I being totally unreasonable? I want to to say no but I know my dad would be really angry if I did.
That’s mental. I don’t see what purpose it could possibly serve burying anything now?

I’m so sorry for the loss of your mum, especially after you’d just had a baby. That must have been a terrible time for you

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Sorry if this has been asked before - how do you all prepare bottles for going out? I have the prep machine and lasts for 2 hours after you make a bottle and have a thermal part in my changing bag which will keep it warm but not sure what's best if I need another bottle!!

Reactions: 1
Sorry if this has been asked before - how do you all prepare bottles for going out? I have the prep machine and lasts for 2 hours after you make a bottle and have a thermal part in my changing bag which will keep it warm but not sure what's best if I need another bottle!!
I take boiled water out and put it in the thermal but if i know baby due a feed and then add the powder when out. I know lots of people who take one bottle of cooled boiled water and one of boiled in a thermos then make it up when out- 2oz of hot, add powder to kill bacteria then top up with cooled boiled water.

Usually a flask of hot water and the powder in a tub thing.
Or ill buy the premade stuff sometimes and just take a sterilised bottle.
Or if I'm not going to be too long, a fresh bottle in a thermal bottle bag. NHS says it can be kept for 4 hours if needed

Feeling very touched out today. No real reason why, I’ve had decent sleep, everyone was mostly well behaved after school, nothing major. Just feeling it all today. And we have no snacks in because I’ve eaten them all 🤣

Also panicking about getting mastitis. I’ve only had it once before but very much don’t want it again. My boob has been sore all day, and looks red this evening 😫 I’ve been doing all the tricks to try and clear any blockages (can’t feel any though 🤷🏻‍♀️) but it’s still sore.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
If we’re out for the day I usually make bottles up and keep them in a cool bag with an ice block, then warm them up before feeding. NHS says they’re good for 4 hours this way.

If we’re just out for a few hours, a fresh bottle in a bottle warmer bag is good for 2 hours.

We’ve got a wedding in July actually where we’re staying overnight in a hotel. I’m still pondering how to do this one. Any tips?

Thanks 😊

God why are babies so frigging noisy. Genuinely contemplating getting up as sleeping baby next to me is grunting and farting loudly 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
If we’re out for the day I usually make bottles up and keep them in a cool bag with an ice block, then warm them up before feeding. NHS says they’re good for 4 hours this way.

If we’re just out for a few hours, a fresh bottle in a bottle warmer bag is good for 2 hours.

We’ve got a wedding in July actually where we’re staying overnight in a hotel. I’m still pondering how to do this one. Any tips?

Thanks 😊
If staying overnight your room will probably have a kettle or you could take your own. Take a thermos so that you can make a few “batches” of water at a time so you don’t have to run up and down, although you may be glad to use the room for nappy changes etc as well.

That assumes the wedding is in the hotel though 🤔 if not just ring the venue and ask if they’ll be able to provide you with boiling water on the day. Or take a kettle there and just plug it in where nobody is looking 🙈

Reactions: 2
So I posted here last week saying about the numbness similar to the PGP but worse that keeps waking me up.
Spoke to a doctor, he's done a few checks and turns out I have damaged a nerve giving birth. The Pudendal nerve.
Got to have a few more checks to make sure that's what it is before they put me on medication and try the different ways to fix it! 😑
It's slowly getting worse.
Before I was waking up in pain once or twice in the night and it went as soon as I moved onto my back for a bit, last night it woke me up 9 times and every time I have to stand up for a bit until it calms down! Also can't sit down for longer than 10 minutes at a time 😑

The things we go through for babies 😩

• Heart
Reactions: 7
So I posted here last week saying about the numbness similar to the PGP but worse that keeps waking me up.
Spoke to a doctor, he's done a few checks and turns out I have damaged a nerve giving birth. The Pudendal nerve.
Got to have a few more checks to make sure that's what it is before they put me on medication and try the different ways to fix it! 😑
It's slowly getting worse.
Before I was waking up in pain once or twice in the night and it went as soon as I moved onto my back for a bit, last night it woke me up 9 times and every time I have to stand up for a bit until it calms down! Also can't sit down for longer than 10 minutes at a time 😑

The things we go through for babies 😩
Oh flip that sounds horrendous. It’s great your GP was able to diagnose what’s wrong, hopefully it’s an easy fix for you as that does not sound like something you can live with for much longer.

I keep wondering why I’m not losing any weight. I ponder it often as I spoon Nutella from the jar in to my mouth 🙈 I am a person who wants to be thinner but also enjoys eating too much 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Oh flip that sounds horrendous. It’s great your GP was able to diagnose what’s wrong, hopefully it’s an easy fix for you as that does not sound like something you can live with for much longer.

I keep wondering why I’m not losing any weight. I ponder it often as I spoon Nutella from the jar in to my mouth 🙈 I am a person who wants to be thinner but also enjoys eating too much 🤣
I feel you 😂
I used to go running just so I could eat what I wanted 😂

• Haha
Hi ladies, just popping over from the pregnancy thread to see if you can help with a question.

My midwife told me that if I plan to breastfeed, I should be prepared for the baby to be pretty much attached to my nipple constantly for the first three days until my milk properly comes in. It’s worried me in terms of having visitors over. I’m not sure how practical it will be but would like our families to meet the baby in the first few days.

What are your experiences of this?

Hi ladies, just popping over from the pregnancy thread to see if you can help with a question.

My midwife told me that if I plan to breastfeed, I should be prepared for the baby to be pretty much attached to my nipple constantly for the first three days until my milk properly comes in. It’s worried me in terms of having visitors over. I’m not sure how practical it will be but would like our families to meet the baby in the first few days.

when i tried to breastfeed my first, she was constantly attached to me until my milk came in, i literally spent the 3rd day at home with her on my boob for 6/7 hours also when my milk did come in, she cluster fed and was literally on my boobs for 3/4 hours straight at times, but they need to do that to establish your milk.

I had a tough time with breastfeeding though and milk took a few days to come in so Maybe others have had different experiences and can advise better 😁

good luck with the rest of your pregnancy ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3

My milk took 4/5 days to come in due to having emergency c section which can delay it. I do remember having to have him on me for long periods of time in order to get the milk to come in!

I was in hospital the first couple of days and had problems breast feeding. I had to feed every 3 hours from the start of the last feed (so if feed took an hr, she’d be back on 2 hrs later) by the time you’ve burped and changed them it doesn’t leave much time in between.

That said, we had family the 4th day I think and I just took myself to the bedroom to feed, they understood that. It was all very calm, I couldn’t have coped with any hyper excitement. Tbh I’m not sure how much family I’d want to be exposing little one to in the first week given their immature immune system and just dealing with people when you are so dog tired, figuring everything out, exhausted/recovering from labour and getting to know baby yourself.
If you give them an hour maybe, say one set in the morning and others in the arvo and manage their expectations that if you have to feed they have to wait, I should think it will be doable but I wouldn’t have people in and out all day personally.

That is absolutely normal and absolutely to be expected. I’ll pop some links below about what to expect in the first days and weeks of breastfeeding. My experience (3 kids fed to 2+ years and 4th baby currently 4 weeks) is that they are attached constantly for the first months.

In the first days they are suckling to encourage your milk supply to come in, and also because all they know is you and want to be close and comforted. But visitors can still come and see baby, no reason why not. They may not be able to hold baby for as long as they’d like, but there will be plenty of chances to hold baby. Remember, you don’t have to pass baby round for people to be there and see them - the phrase I’ve seen before for that is “pass the biscuits, not the baby” 🤣 sometimes others will ignore/not understand baby’s feeding cues, so I find it best to keep holds from family to short and sweet in the first months.

Reactions: 5
Different experience in that she fed a lot but it was for short bursts, anywhere from 15 minutes to 40. I just fed on demand.
With visitors they just need to work around you and baby, don't be pressured 💕
We waited over a week til anyone first met her because I wanted to work out how to feed.

Reactions: 4
I seen a tiktok of a woman saying her friend had a baby and struggling to do anything so she went round, ordered them coffees, lunch, watched the baby so mum could nap and shower and it really hit me how I don't have anyone like that in my life 😞 it really is true what they say, when you have a baby you see who your real friends are. I just wish baby/toddler classes would open here again soon so I could try make some mum friends (I'm tired and emotional if you can't tell haha)

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I seen a tiktok of a woman saying her friend had a baby and struggling to do anything so she went round, ordered them coffees, lunch, watched the baby so mum could nap and shower and it really hit me how I don't have anyone like that in my life 😞 it really is true what they say, when you have a baby you see who your real friends are. I just wish baby/toddler classes would open here again soon so I could try make some mum friends (I'm tired and emotional if you can't tell haha)
Your not alone I don’t have anyone to do that for me either, even pre covid. We can keep you company on here 🥰

• Heart
I'm the same. I don't think many people do tbh ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.