New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Your not alone I don’t have anyone to do that for me either, even pre covid. We can keep you company on here 🥰
Thank you so much! I'm so thankful for finding this site and being able to just chat to yous without feeling judged! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I seen a tiktok of a woman saying her friend had a baby and struggling to do anything so she went round, ordered them coffees, lunch, watched the baby so mum could nap and shower and it really hit me how I don't have anyone like that in my life 😞 it really is true what they say, when you have a baby you see who your real friends are. I just wish baby/toddler classes would open here again soon so I could try make some mum friends (I'm tired and emotional if you can't tell haha)
Oh 😔 I’ve not really heard from any of my oldest friends either

• Sad
Reactions: 1
It’s weird because I have a few mum friends and I am close to my family. My mum helps by taking my toddler and doing school runs, but only one friend made us a dinner, and nobody else offered to help out in a practical way.

My sister is pregnant, and has a toddler, and I’m already planning on how I can help her out when the baby comes. But not just right in the first week as I think people sometimes forget that you sometimes are even more exhausted and wanting help after the first few weeks.

Reactions: 7
I seen a tiktok of a woman saying her friend had a baby and struggling to do anything so she went round, ordered them coffees, lunch, watched the baby so mum could nap and shower and it really hit me how I don't have anyone like that in my life 😞 it really is true what they say, when you have a baby you see who your real friends are. I just wish baby/toddler classes would open here again soon so I could try make some mum friends (I'm tired and emotional if you can't tell haha)
I don’t have anyone like that either, I don’t think many people do that woman is so lucky

Reactions: 4
I don’t have anyone like that either, I don’t think many people do that woman is so lucky
I don’t know, if I had a friend that did that but wanted to put it on her tiktok I’d question her motives. All this doing it for the gram/virtue signalling can do one. Last thing I’d want as a knackered new mum is have to dress/tidy up to be plastered all over someone’s social media as ‘so in need of a break’ for them to get likes and a pay on the back.
TBF I haven’t seen it so maybe just being cynical but either way it’s bollocks that it makes people feel lacking. Very few people have someone that has the free time away from work/kids/other engagements & budget to do that even if they wanted to.

Reactions: 8
I don’t know, if I had a friend that did that but wanted to put it on her tiktok I’d question her motives. All this doing it for the gram/virtue signalling can do one. Last thing I’d want as a knackered new mum is have to dress/tidy up to be plastered all over someone’s social media as ‘so in need of a break’ for them to get likes and a pay on the back.
TBF I haven’t seen it so maybe just being cynical but either way it’s bollocks that it makes people feel lacking. Very few people have someone that has the free time away from work/kids/other engagements & budget to do that even if they wanted to.
Yeah I guess you’re right! It is a bit much like and a bit pointless if she only ever offered to do it the one time and never went to see them ever again. But yeah, without context it’s hard to judge.

Thank you all for your replies on breastfeeding, really appreciate them all. Good to have more of an idea of what to expect before baby arrives!

Reactions: 3
Thank you all for your replies on breastfeeding, really appreciate them all. Good to have more of an idea of what to expect before baby arrives!
It can be intense at times, and feel very overwhelming, and even lonely sometimes. But I think being prepared, and also knowing it really doesn’t last forever, is key to keeping going.

Those who had c sections, did you get an infection? I'm about to get prescribed a second lot of antibiotics. What can I do?! It's making me so low where I can't get out and about. I'm 4 weeks PP.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
Those who had c sections, did you get an infection? I'm about to get prescribed a second lot of antibiotics. What can I do?! It's making me so low where I can't get out and about. I'm 4 weeks PP.
Oh that sounds awful ❤ I had two sections and no infection (I’m 5 weeks pp this time so could still happen I suppose). I think it’s partly just the luck of the draw. I didn’t do anything special, the only thing I do is make sure I air dry my incision site really well before getting dressed, but I don’t even know if that is a thing that would help? I hope you feel better ASAP x

• Heart
Hi squiggle. I’m sorry to hear your wound is infected.
Mine opened up in the corner slightly, and had 2 internal stitches sticking out so was unable to heal properly and in the end it was leaking green fluid, not so much puss just watery liquid.
I was put on antibiotics, it finally healed properly at 8 weeks. Unfortunately it’s an awkward area, as when we are sitting it’s not getting the air to it, plus lifting baby/pushchair/anything heavy can cause strain on the area too.
The only advice I can give is, use cotton wool soaked in cooled boiled water if it is leaking any fluid, but otherwise leave to air dry after you wash and expose it to open air when you can.
It’ll get there eventually, it will take time.
In the meantime, try not to think about it and enjoy the beautiful baby you’ve just birthed ❤❤❤❤❤
P.S when I say lifting heavy stuff, I wasn’t lifting anything heavier than the baby like they say especially for the first 4 weeks, but i found even just lifting him sometimes pulled on my tummy.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Hi squiggle. I’m sorry to hear your wound is infected.
Mine opened up in the corner slightly, and had 2 internal stitches sticking out so was unable to heal properly and in the end it was leaking green fluid, not so much puss just watery liquid.
I was put on antibiotics, it finally healed properly at 8 weeks. Unfortunately it’s an awkward area, as when we are sitting it’s not getting the air to it, plus lifting baby/pushchair/anything heavy can cause strain on the area too.
The only advice I can give is, use cotton wool soaked in cooled boiled water if it is leaking any fluid, but otherwise leave to air dry after you wash and expose it to open air when you can.
It’ll get there eventually, it will take time.
In the meantime, try not to think about it and enjoy the beautiful baby you’ve just birthed ❤❤❤❤❤
P.S when I say lifting heavy stuff, I wasn’t lifting anything heavier than the baby like they say especially for the first 4 weeks, but i found even just lifting him sometimes pulled on my tummy.
Thank you so much! It's so hard isn't it. I have a 4 year old too so the mum guilt about not getting him out and about as much as he's used too, is huge. I'm trying to think positive but proving difficult. I have spoken to my midwife about my mood and we are keeping an eye on it. Its not like me to be down!
I completely understand about the sitting etc. I'm just about the house with a dress on trying to get the air to it but not ideal 🤣
I'm hoping this second course of antibiotics will help. I also feel bad for moaning as it was my choice to have a section where some people have no choice! Silly probably but crazy what our minds and hormones do. Thank you for replying! One day at a time hey! Xxx

Oh that sounds awful ❤ I had two sections and no infection (I’m 5 weeks pp this time so could still happen I suppose). I think it’s partly just the luck of the draw. I didn’t do anything special, the only thing I do is make sure I air dry my incision site really well before getting dressed, but I don’t even know if that is a thing that would help? I hope you feel better ASAP x
Thank you lovely! So glad you haven't experienced this! I do air dry a lot and that's that's really helps. As soon as I put clothes on it gets irritated and weeps. Very frustrating as I thought I'd be on little walks etc by now. No symptoms of infection which is good but also so scary how it could of been missed! Luckily it was my husband who pushed for me to ring my midwife! Xxx

Yes I did -I'm 21 weeks PP now.
I think I got it at about 7 weeks - i think caused by me trying to do too much! I had antibiotics and the GP recommended cleaning the wound and then applying Savlon, which seemed to help! I still have times when I feel like my scar is sore but I'm not sure whether it's in my head or not!!

Hope you feel better soon

Yes I did -I'm 21 weeks PP now.
I think I got it at about 7 weeks - i think caused by me trying to do too much! I had antibiotics and the GP recommended cleaning the wound and then applying Savlon, which seemed to help! I still have times when I feel like my scar is sore but I'm not sure whether it's in my head or not!!

Hope you feel better soon
Thank you so much for replying. I think I'm overdoing it too but hard when there's stuff that needs doing! Good to know yours healed, I think mine is open a little so not sure I can apply cream but i can ask! Hope the soreness isn't too uncomfortable xx

• Heart
Thank you so much! It's so hard isn't it. I have a 4 year old too so the mum guilt about not getting him out and about as much as he's used too, is huge. I'm trying to think positive but proving difficult. I have spoken to my midwife about my mood and we are keeping an eye on it. Its not like me to be down!
I completely understand about the sitting etc. I'm just about the house with a dress on trying to get the air to it but not ideal 🤣
I'm hoping this second course of antibiotics will help. I also feel bad for moaning as it was my choice to have a section where some people have no choice! Silly probably but crazy what our minds and hormones do. Thank you for replying! One day at a time hey! Xxx

Thank you lovely! So glad you haven't experienced this! I do air dry a lot and that's that's really helps. As soon as I put clothes on it gets irritated and weeps. Very frustrating as I thought I'd be on little walks etc by now. No symptoms of infection which is good but also so scary how it could of been missed! Luckily it was my husband who pushed for me to ring my midwife! Xxx
Your husband is a good one ❤ It is so hard when you have an older one not picking them up, and not being able to get out and about. But try to remember this 6 weeks is a relatively short time period (in comparison to the year!) even when it sometimes feels like forever. I had a really low point around the end of week 3, I just was so BORED of being in my house, I felt lonely (even with a toddler at home) and was sore and miserable. I found as well, particularly with my last section, I didn’t get better as quickly as I imagined. I seemed to plateau for a few weeks, then get a bit better, and then stay like that again for a few weeks rather than steadily improving IYKWIM. Fingers crossed you feel better in all respects really soon x

ETA: around this time last week (so I was 4 weeks PP) I found my scar starting to scab and the scans were actually rubbing on the skin and making me very uncomfortable, especially when I bent down. So just watch out for that as well, as my scans caught on my clothes once or twice and it did not feel good 😬😬😬

• Heart
I had an infection after my C section 12 weeks ago, it opened in 2 places and was leaking constantly, more when I moved about, I was on a 10 day course of antibiotics and aired it as much as I could, mainly just wore a loose nightie, thankfully it now seems to have fully healed.
Hope the next lot of antibiotics work for you and your feeling better soon x

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.