New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
luckily my GP did listen to my concerns but she was very reluctant to put her on medication just yet as she is only 17 days, so she has told us to try anti reflux formula for a few days to see how we get on, however i am reluctant to change her formula and from advice of midwife and HV they have said not to change it.

i have her in a sling all day, the day time isnt bad and i can handle that but literally can’t sleep at night as we have to hold her up right at all times. The minute she goes flat she starts grunting and being irritable. Luckily my husband is on paternity atm so we are taking shifts. so really need to sort this out before he goes to work as i can’t survive on no sleep.

so i will go back to the GP and really hope she considers something stronger than gaviscon 😫

hope you’re little one gets over it soon too. my eldest grew out of her reflux around 5 months 🤞🏽
Glad your GP is on board! I can understand their position on not putting baby on medication, but it's not sustainable for you to survive on no sleep! We started on 1ml twice a day with the omeprazole and have slowly increased as he has gained weight. We had the grunting and irritability on his back, at its worst from about 3am onwards - it sounded like a farmyard some nights!! The grunting literally stopped overnight when we swapped to a dairy free prescribed formula. He does still suffer with refluxy days and flare ups but overall, it's controlled with the meds and formula.

I was also advised not to put him on the anti relux formula by midwife and HV! I'm not sure why they're so anti it. My cousin's baby had silent reflux and he was a different baby when swapped onto it so I think it does work for some.

We were the same with the nights, I used to have to sleep with him on my chest (not advised I know!) at an angle just to shut my eyes for some time. Thank you! We have a dietician's appointment today and are waiting for a paediatrician's appointment to come through; I'm hoping that when we start weaning things settle down (hopefully with no other reactions to allergens!)

Do let us know how you get on with the GP!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Interesting to read your posts about the grunting.
My daughter as soon as she's laid flat, grunts constantly until she eventually falls asleep and she then constantly stirs and grunts throughout the night.
Only when laying down flat though.
Wondering if it's something I should mention to the health visitor when I see her 🤔
Never had it with my other 2

Glad your GP is on board! I can understand their position on not putting baby on medication, but it's not sustainable for you to survive on no sleep! We started on 1ml twice a day with the omeprazole and have slowly increased as he has gained weight. We had the grunting and irritability on his back, at its worst from about 3am onwards - it sounded like a farmyard some nights!! The grunting literally stopped overnight when we swapped to a dairy free prescribed formula. He does still suffer with refluxy days and flare ups but overall, it's controlled with the meds and formula.

I was also advised not to put him on the anti relux formula by midwife and HV! I'm not sure why they're so anti it. My cousin's baby had silent reflux and he was a different baby when swapped onto it so I think it does work for some.

We were the same with the nights, I used to have to sleep with him on my chest (not advised I know!) at an angle just to shut my eyes for some time. Thank you! We have a dietician's appointment today and are waiting for a paediatrician's appointment to come through; I'm hoping that when we start weaning things settle down (hopefully with no other reactions to allergens!)

Do let us know how you get on with the GP!
we have started using carobel to thicken ber current formula, which seems to have helped her during the day but the nights are stilL the same, esp as you said after 2/3am 😫

going to call GP on monday again as I know they wont do anything unless I have said i have tried anti reflux/carobel.

fingers crossed 🤞🏽I have heard great things about omeprazole so hoping we can get that.

im sure weaning will definitely help, is your little one sitting? I found once my first daughter could sit it really helped her reflux.

Interesting to read your posts about the grunting.
My daughter as soon as she's laid flat, grunts constantly until she eventually falls asleep and she then constantly stirs and grunts throughout the night.
Only when laying down flat though.
Wondering if it's something I should mention to the health visitor when I see her 🤔
Never had it with my other 2
I think some grunting and weird sounds is normal in the newborn stage, my little one sounded very congested along with the grunting but definitely mention it to HV as well if you have concerns

we have started using carobel to thicken ber current formula, which seems to have helped her during the day but the nights are stilL the same, esp as you said after 2/3am 😫

going to call GP on monday again as I know they wont do anything unless I have said i have tried anti reflux/carobel.

fingers crossed 🤞🏽I have heard great things about omeprazole so hoping we can get that.

im sure weaning will definitely help, is your little one sitting? I found once my first daughter could sit it really helped her reflux.

I think some grunting and weird sounds is normal in the newborn stage, my little one sounded very congested along with the grunting but definitely mention it to HV as well if you have concerns
Yeah I might do. It goes on for hours before she eventually falls asleep.
Constant grunting and bringing her knees up mixed with cries

Yeah I might do. It goes on for hours before she eventually falls asleep.
Constant grunting and bringing her knees up mixed with cries
oh bless her, yeh sounds similar to our silent reflux.

what is she like after her feeds?

would recommend holding her up right after a feed for 20/30 mins might help if she has reflux.

We were prescribed infant gaviscon for my first she had reflux (huge voms after every feed) it really sorted her out along with Infacol drops. It did make her a little constipated at times, but I’d just give her a little warm water every now and it would usually flush her out.

Hey, can I ask how many scoops of carobel your adding to your little ones milk? My daughter is taking 5oz and I am adding a scoop and half, but the consistency varies, sometimes it's too thick for her and she struggles with it, other times it's too thin for her and she brings it straight back up. I just can't seem to get it right for her.
Thank you 😊

oh bless her, yeh sounds similar to our silent reflux.

what is she like after her feeds?

would recommend holding her up right after a feed for 20/30 mins might help if she has reflux.
During feeds she fights the bottle sometimes. Like she wants to drink it but wriggles and grunts and ends up spitting it out until you sit her up for a little while and then she'll carry on.

Afterwards she spits up quite a bit and that's usually when the grunting and cries start

During feeds she fights the bottle sometimes. Like she wants to drink it but wriggles and grunts and ends up spitting it out until you sit her up for a little while and then she'll carry on.

Afterwards she spits up quite a bit and that's usually when the grunting and cries start
definitely sounds like reflux to me.

Obviously mention it to your HV, but you might need to see Gp if you want any medication as HV as far as i know can’t really prescribe anything and can just offer advice on how to help ease symptoms a little, but be prepared to have to fight for it with the GP as a lot just dismiss it As colic or normal newborn behaviour but it really isn’t. I would perhaps film it so you can show GP.

Hey, can I ask how many scoops of carobel your adding to your little ones milk? My daughter is taking 5oz and I am adding a scoop and half, but the consistency varies, sometimes it's too thick for her and she struggles with it, other times it's too thin for her and she brings it straight back up. I just can't seem to get it right for her.
Thank you 😊
We make 5 ounce bottles, i add one scoop in the day and 2 at night as her reflux seems to be worse then but so far it hasn’t helped at night 😫

How do you mix yours? And do you leave it for a few minutes?

we use perfect prep and i add it when i add the formula to the hot shot mix it and then top it up with the cool water and mix it again leave it for 3 mins, shake and feed.

Does anyone have any helpful tips to help the baby blues? I'm on day 3 of them and my god I feel like an awful emotional big mess. I'm really worried if it's just normal to feel this way or not as I really struggled with PNA/PND after my first. Just finding life difficult/not much support/dealing with toddler and newborn life and feel like the weight of the worlds on my shoulders. I'm just exhausted

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Does anyone have any helpful tips to help the baby blues? I'm on day 3 of them and my god I feel like an awful emotional big mess. I'm really worried if it's just normal to feel this way or not as I really struggled with PNA/PND after my first. Just finding life difficult/not much support/dealing with toddler and newborn life and feel like the weight of the worlds on my shoulders. I'm just exhausted
I have been thinking of you, what happened with your burst stitches?

I’m so sorry to hear that you are struggling, sending so much love. I don’t know if anything helps get over that, but I think that being aware of what is happening, and knowing how you feel, and keeping a close eye on it to make sure it doesn’t get any worse, is a key thing, and it sounds like you are doing that.

I know it’s easy to say, but you’ve got to be kind to yourself and remember you’ve just been through something absolutely huge. Your body has taken an absolute battering, and you’re being expected to care for a baby, and a toddler, all at the same time. That is a LOT for anyone to have to deal with, so you have every right to be feeling overwhelmed.

Try to just drop as many balls as you can for now. Housework can go, great home cooked meals can go. Do the absolute bare minimum you can to get you, toddler and baby through the day. None of you will be the worse for wear for a few weeks of fish fingers and extra TV.

Does your toddler nap? I find it really helpful to go to bed at the same time as my toddler, and take the baby, and catch up on even half an hour of sleep.

Xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I have been thinking of you, what happened with your burst stitches?

I’m so sorry to hear that you are struggling, sending so much love. I don’t know if anything helps get over that, but I think that being aware of what is happening, and knowing how you feel, and keeping a close eye on it to make sure it doesn’t get any worse, is a key thing, and it sounds like you are doing that.

I know it’s easy to say, but you’ve got to be kind to yourself and remember you’ve just been through something absolutely huge. Your body has taken an absolute battering, and you’re being expected to care for a baby, and a toddler, all at the same time. That is a LOT for anyone to have to deal with, so you have every right to be feeling overwhelmed.

Try to just drop as many balls as you can for now. Housework can go, great home cooked meals can go. Do the absolute bare minimum you can to get you, toddler and baby through the day. None of you will be the worse for wear for a few weeks of fish fingers and extra TV.

Does your toddler nap? I find it really helpful to go to bed at the same time as my toddler, and take the baby, and catch up on even half an hour of sleep.

Xxx
Thank you so so much ❤
I called mat assessment and the midwife checked me over at home the next day, she said there's no sign of infection and just need to leave it to heal over. She's told me to look out for the signs of infection but it appears to be getting better which is a huge relief!!

Thank you honestly so much, I really needed that. I just find it difficult to talk to my partner at times because he doesn't fully understand and never will know what it's like to so to speak to yous and knowing people are there is always such a big help.
He doesn't nap during the day but is usually asleep by 7.30pm, I think ill start going to bed the same time just to get that little bit extra sleep! No point pottering around the house trying to do wee things when it'll end up messy anyway and just tire myself out haha! Xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thank you so so much ❤
I called mat assessment and the midwife checked me over at home the next day, she said there's no sign of infection and just need to leave it to heal over. She's told me to look out for the signs of infection but it appears to be getting better which is a huge relief!!

Thank you honestly so much, I really needed that. I just find it difficult to talk to my partner at times because he doesn't fully understand and never will know what it's like to so to speak to yous and knowing people are there is always such a big help.
He doesn't nap during the day but is usually asleep by 7.30pm, I think ill start going to bed the same time just to get that little bit extra sleep! No point pottering around the house trying to do wee things when it'll end up messy anyway and just tire myself out haha! Xxx
I was worried about it the first week or so. Its got much better now.
But I was crying several times a day about silly things, worrying people were leaving me for no reason and everything. It's completely disappeared now.
My partner doesn't get the hormones side of it either so I get how difficult it can be.
He was always asking me what was wrong and if I said I don't know, he'd reply with, "well cheer up then" or "Well there's no need to be upset then" 😑

• Heart
I was worried about it the first week or so. Its got much better now.
But I was crying several times a day about silly things, worrying people were leaving me for no reason and everything. It's completely disappeared now.
My partner doesn't get the hormones side of it either so I get how difficult it can be.
He was always asking me what was wrong and if I said I don't know, he'd reply with, "well cheer up then" or "Well there's no need to be upset then" 😑
Thank you! I'm hoping it's just a quick thing and goes away. I'm crying over the silliest things and sometimes just start crying for no reason whatsoever! Guys never understand haha, my partner is the same! X

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you so so much ❤

I cried the other day for honestly no reason at all. And I feel embarrassed when my husband sees that, because I know he doesn’t understand that it’s hormones going a bit haywire (I don’t really understand the whole thing either!)

Men just don’t have so much to deal with after birth. Yes they have the new addition, but in our house (and I’d imagine most others!) it’s me does 95% of the newborn care, as well as dealing with all of the crap happening to my body, and the lack of sleep.

Definitely go to bed nice and early a few nights. Last night I lay down when the kids were going to bed and I didn’t get up again. Just lay in bed with the baby, and with the iPad, my husband delivered snacks up, and I didn’t move again all evening. Even just that down time when I wasn’t sleeping made me feel better. Cosying up in bed is always good!

• Heart
I cried the other day for honestly no reason at all. And I feel embarrassed when my husband sees that, because I know he doesn’t understand that it’s hormones going a bit haywire (I don’t really understand the whole thing either!)

Men just don’t have so much to deal with after birth. Yes they have the new addition, but in our house (and I’d imagine most others!) it’s me does 95% of the newborn care, as well as dealing with all of the crap happening to my body, and the lack of sleep.

Definitely go to bed nice and early a few nights. Last night I lay down when the kids were going to bed and I didn’t get up again. Just lay in bed with the baby, and with the iPad, my husband delivered snacks up, and I didn’t move again all evening. Even just that down time when I wasn’t sleeping made me feel better. Cosying up in bed is always good!
It's so refreshing to hear others feel the same as me and that I'm not alone!
I'm definitely gonna do this, thank you and thank you for taking the time to reply ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you! I'm hoping it's just a quick thing and goes away. I'm crying over the silliest things and sometimes just start crying for no reason whatsoever! Guys never understand haha, my partner is the same! X
I was the same for 2 weeks post baby and had the same fears. I actually ended up speaking with the perinatal mental health team who were fab and so supportive. I wasn’t discharged by my midwife until 28 days- I really recommend delaying your discharge if possible. By day 28 I felt much more myself. We are 14 weeks in now and I’m still sad a lot of the time but the total and utter despair of those first few weeks has passed.

• Heart
Hello I’ve got not tips but just wanted to say I’m in the same boat, 5 days pp, cranky toddler, no support. It’s so hard, sending lots of love to you and your family. ❤

• Heart
I was the same for 2 weeks post baby and had the same fears. I actually ended up speaking with the perinatal mental health team who were fab and so supportive. I wasn’t discharged by my midwife until 28 days- I really recommend delaying your discharge if possible. By day 28 I felt much more myself. We are 14 weeks in now and I’m still sad a lot of the time but the total and utter despair of those first few weeks has passed.
My midwife signed me off yesterday 😞 I was under perinatal care with my first and when I was 7m pregnant I reached out to my midwife to ask for extra support and she was clueless and told me to go to my GP. My GPS referred me onto a local service but when I see my HV I'm going to ask to be referred back to perinatal if I feel like I'm not getting better/worse ❤

Hello I’ve got not tips but just wanted to say I’m in the same boat, 5 days pp, cranky toddler, no support. It’s so hard, sending lots of love to you and your family. ❤
We got this! Thank you, thinking of you and sending you love back ❣hope you're okay xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Oh, don’t mind me. Just crying cause my 7wk old is so long his toes are popping out his 0-3 month sleepsuit 😭😭.

(I’m not crying really, but seriously?! 😂)

Sending love to those who aren’t having the easiest of days, reaching out for help is one of the best things you can do.💕 Also, hello to anyone on night feeds atm, tattle has been my saviour!

• Haha
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.