New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mine had colic and reflux. Same thing, had to keep her up for about 30 minutes after every feed and she just didn't want to put down! We tried all the over the counter medicine but in the end only gaviscon worked. I would definitely speak to the GP. I feel for you, it really is awful! It made me wish the newborn weeks away because HV said it would get better at 12 weeks.....it didn't 😂
did Gaviscon cause any constipation?

my older daughter had reflux but gripe water helped her as hers flared up around 2 months.

did Gaviscon cause any constipation?

my older daughter had reflux but gripe water helped her as hers flared up around 2 months.
Well I didn't see a major difference because she didn't always used to go every day anyway. I also gave it with cooled boiled water as breastfeeding, whether that kept her going.

Reactions: 1
Quick question for people, especially ones that had PGP when pregnant (I I think? 🤔 It's from that still I don't know)
That feeling when everything down there feels awfully bruised and like someone's kicked you constantly that you get badly with PGP...
I seem to be getting it worse now almost 4 weeks after birth at night when I sleep on my side...
The whole area down there feels almost numb 🤔
It verges on being painful but only happens when I sleep.
I really don't know how to explain it 😂 but hoping someone else knows and has experienced the same 😂

Quick question for people, especially ones that had PGP when pregnant (I I think? 🤔 It's from that still I don't know)
That feeling when everything down there feels awfully bruised and like someone's kicked you constantly that you get badly with PGP...
I seem to be getting it worse now almost 4 weeks after birth at night when I sleep on my side...
I really don't know how to explain it 😂 but hoping someone else knows and has experienced the same 😂
Can you still get access to the maternity physio? In our trust it’s 12 weeks post birth. May be worth a consultation.
I had pelvic pain post birth, I’d be hobbling like and old lady when I got out of bed, but it sorted itself out.

I know exactly what you mean. My baby was huge and for about a month afterwards, I felt like I had been punched in the vagina 😂 a midwife had a look and said I was very bruised 😳 so maybe that’s the same for you.

I don’t know if anyone else knows anything about this - with your periods following birth, did anyone experience painful labia? (Sorry if TMI). I’m 9 month postpartum and each period I get, my bits ache like hell and I almost need to sit down. I googled it and apparently it’s a ‘thing’ that women get.

With regards to your sling, what makes you think baby doesn’t like it? What sort of sling have you got?
Sorry only now coming back to this. I have a long stretchy fabric type but it is very, very long so it's a little difficult to tie.
She gets upset when I put her in but I feel like her legs mightn't be in the correct position or she's too low perhaps.
It could be partially however that the moment she comes near me she wants boob. She'll happily sit on others but me she wants to feed/comfort feed all the time apparently

Sorry only now coming back to this. I have a long stretchy fabric type but it is very, very long so it's a little difficult to tie.
She gets upset when I put her in but I feel like her legs mightn't be in the correct position or she's too low perhaps.
It could be partially however that the moment she comes near me she wants boob. She'll happily sit on others but me she wants to feed/comfort feed all the time apparently
This video might help with the sling. My daughter also hated the sling and always wanted boob, have you read up about the 4th trimester? It’s completely normal baby just wants to be close to you as you’re their safety and all they know. It can be completely exhausting but it doesn’t last forever. My daughter was fine to be cuddled by someone else once she was asleep, but it varied how long that lasted for.

Reactions: 2
A stretchy wrap? I love them for newborns, definitely my favourite type of sling, but they are long and can be daunting and take practice to get them right. Make sure you tie it really tightly, much more so than you’d think, and also tie it all above your belly button, as for a newborn they really do need to be very high in them. When you pop her in make sure the passes are spread right across her bum from knee to knee, that’ll keep her well supported and nice and comfy.

We would have similar issues with wanting to feed, so often I tie the stretchy on, then feed (bit of a wriggle to get my top up, pop a boob out between the bits of sling, usually forget to pull my top down again!) and then when they’ve fallen asleep put them in the sling and they usually snuggle in nicely then.

• Heart
This video might help with the sling. My daughter also hated the sling and always wanted boob, have you read up about the 4th trimester? It’s completely normal baby just wants to be close to you as you’re their safety and all they know. It can be completely exhausting but it doesn’t last forever. My daughter was fine to be cuddled by someone else once she was asleep, but it varied how long that lasted for.
I don’t think the video worked?
She isn’t worried about being held at all, she’ll go to anyone but equally happy to be in her bouncer. Because of multi generations living together, there’s 7 in our bubble. I can hand her over to the in-laws, only get her back all day for feeds and she’s not worried at all. I couldn’t take her for a quick cuddle and pass her along without feeding however or she’d get upset. I actually wish she was a bit more clingy to me and would have a cuddle more without wanting boob.

A stretchy wrap? I love them for newborns, definitely my favourite type of sling, but they are long and can be daunting and take practice to get them right. Make sure you tie it really tightly, much more so than you’d think, and also tie it all above your belly button, as for a newborn they really do need to be very high in them. When you pop her in make sure the passes are spread right across her bum from knee to knee, that’ll keep her well supported and nice and comfy.

We would have similar issues with wanting to feed, so often I tie the stretchy on, then feed (bit of a wriggle to get my top up, pop a boob out between the bits of sling, usually forget to pull my top down again!) and then when they’ve fallen asleep put them in the sling and they usually snuggle in nicely then.
Thank you, I think I’ll order a new, less unwieldily one from Amazon and try again. Putting her in once asleep hadn’t occurred to me 🤦🏼‍♀️

Also try making sure baby’s not directly on your skin when in sling unless you’re using it to feed or for skin to skin. If I had a lower cut top on it would send mine rooting.

@littlepup ah sounds like you have plenty of support in your bubble! I ended up contact napping so as my daughter got older and had longer but less frequent naps it meant she’d come back to me 🥰
Sorry forgot to add the video

I'm 6 days post section and noticed tonight my wound is burning and (TMI) about 2cm of the wound has reopened more towards the middle. I've to check again in an hour and call them back. Has this ever happened to anyone and do they need to restitch it? Also noticed the end of my wound it's really red and a stitch is coming out. Feel like this is karma cos I thought my healing was going so well and had no complaints at all about it 😞

I'm 6 days post section and noticed tonight my wound is burning and (TMI) about 2cm of the wound has reopened more towards the middle. I've to check again in an hour and call them back. Has this ever happened to anyone and do they need to restitch it? Also noticed the end of my wound it's really red and a stitch is coming out. Feel like this is karma cos I thought my healing was going so well and had no complaints at all about it 😞
Oh flip that sounds horrendous. Never happened to me but I hope you get sorted quickly. With the stitch at the end I just remembered with my last section I was concerned about the end stitch as it seemed very “bumpy” and didn’t dissolve like the others. But the HV assured me the end stitch is a knot and so is sometimes larger, more red etc, and it can poke out.

I don’t think the video worked?
She isn’t worried about being held at all, she’ll go to anyone but equally happy to be in her bouncer. Because of multi generations living together, there’s 7 in our bubble. I can hand her over to the in-laws, only get her back all day for feeds and she’s not worried at all. I couldn’t take her for a quick cuddle and pass her along without feeding however or she’d get upset. I actually wish she was a bit more clingy to me and would have a cuddle more without wanting boob.

Thank you, I think I’ll order a new, less unwieldily one from Amazon and try again. Putting her in once asleep hadn’t occurred to me 🤦🏼‍♀️
Maybe look at a close caboo. They are basically pre-tied stretchy slings which I know a lot of people love 😊 takes the faff out of tying.

Or if it’s just for short periods a ring sling may suit you well as I find them very easy to pop on. I don’t find them comfy for long term wearing though. Again, I would usually put baby in when asleep, so quite handy round the house for when they fall asleep on me (we only ever contact nap) and then I need to do something. It’s very easy to put on while holding them.

Reactions: 3
Is it trampy if the health visitor comes this morning and I’m still in my pyjamas? Asking for a friend 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Is it trampy if the health visitor comes this morning and I’m still in my pyjamas? Asking for a friend 🙄
I had no choice the other day. I kept my bottom half pajamas on and just changed my top because it was a video call. Sat waiting in the virtual 'waiting room' and there was a knock at the door!
House was a mess, me half dressed, daughter was half dressed, toys everywhere 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I had no choice the other day. I kept my bottom half pajamas on and just changed my top because it was a video call. Sat waiting in the virtual 'waiting room' and there was a knock at the door!
House was a mess, me half dressed, daughter was half dressed, toys everywhere 😂
Did you think it was just a video call when actually they came round? Hahaha bless you. I can’t wait to see how much baby weighs, I feel like he’s tripled in size 😂

Absolutely not! I remember with my first I was always frantic before they came, one particular time I had just mopped the floors so they’d be sparkling clean and was standing fanning them to try and dry them, so she wouldn’t come and they were wet and she’d know I’d been cleaning 🤣

Now I don’t care. They must see some absolute states, so I figure as long as we are in the better half we are ok 👍🏻

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Did you think it was just a video call when actually they came round? Hahaha bless you. I can’t wait to see how much baby weighs, I feel like he’s tripled in size 😂
The letter stated Video call and gave the website and everything to go on and my own code. They just decided not to tell me it was now in person 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Anyone have advice on how to handle/treat Silent reflux?

my 2 week old seems to be suffering from it badly, constantly hiccups after feeds, cannot put her down on her back for majority of the day otherwise its just constant grunting and frustration, we’re barely getting any sleep at night as we have to hold her up right for ages post feed.

i have a toddler so can’t be having baby attached to me constantly to keep her up right, i (as much as I would like that) i know its not recommended and probably early but we have resorted to using a bouncer otherwise we can’t do anything
Hello, my littld one is 18 weeks and been suffering simce 3 weeks old. GP didnt take me seriously for weeks and ended up going private for one consultation. We tried gaviscon but it did nothing except constipate him, now on omeprazole. Hes since been diagnosed with cmpa and the two are very linked. Have a listen to parent and baby coach's podcast on it, its very useful. Have they been checked for tongue tie?

Things that help us - a sling for home, I have the koala fabric one for home. Logging feeds and sleep; this was vital in getting GP to finally listen. In last few weeks we've been able to put him down for naps (short ones but its a step forward!)

I got a joie 2in1 swing off facebook for £50 that he would sleep in in the early days. it is awful though and the screaming is really tough!

• Heart
Hello, my littld one is 18 weeks and been suffering simce 3 weeks old. GP didnt take me seriously for weeks and ended up going private for one consultation. We tried gaviscon but it did nothing except constipate him, now on omeprazole. Hes since been diagnosed with cmpa and the two are very linked. Have a listen to parent and baby coach's podcast on it, its very useful. Have they been checked for tongue tie?

Things that help us - a sling for home, I have the koala fabric one for home. Logging feeds and sleep; this was vital in getting GP to finally listen. In last few weeks we've been able to put him down for naps (short ones but its a step forward!)

I got a joie 2in1 swing off facebook for £50 that he would sleep in in the early days. it is awful though and the screaming is really tough!
luckily my GP did listen to my concerns but she was very reluctant to put her on medication just yet as she is only 17 days, so she has told us to try anti reflux formula for a few days to see how we get on, however i am reluctant to change her formula and from advice of midwife and HV they have said not to change it.

i have her in a sling all day, the day time isnt bad and i can handle that but literally can’t sleep at night as we have to hold her up right at all times. The minute she goes flat she starts grunting and being irritable. Luckily my husband is on paternity atm so we are taking shifts. so really need to sort this out before he goes to work as i can’t survive on no sleep.

so i will go back to the GP and really hope she considers something stronger than gaviscon 😫

hope you’re little one gets over it soon too. my eldest grew out of her reflux around 5 months 🤞🏽

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.