New baby and post birth advice #56

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Baby bandit wolfed down a 100g pouch of mango baby brekkie this morning and has been sick multiple times since - so either it's nudging us further towards a potential CMPA allergy (the pouch had milk and yogurt) or he's just suffering the consequences of being too greedy 😅

Speaking of which - now that he's actually eating decent amounts, how do I work out if he's getting enough milk or not? He has 210ml bottles, would I work on the basis that for each meal he properly eats he's likely to drop one bottle? This is uncharted territory as he's only had tiny tastes up until now despite being 9 months old!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Baby bandit wolfed down a 100g pouch of mango baby brekkie this morning and has been sick multiple times since - so either it's nudging us further towards a potential CMPA allergy (the pouch had milk and yogurt) or he's just suffering the consequences of being too greedy 😅

Speaking of which - now that he's actually eating decent amounts, how do I work out if he's getting enough milk or not? He has 210ml bottles, would I work on the basis that for each meal he properly eats he's likely to drop one bottle? This is uncharted territory as he's only had tiny tastes up until now despite being 9 months old!
go Baby Bandit, sort of! 😂 this is no help whatsoever but I found she dropped the milk herself, so I kept offering her it at the same times I usually would but she just started dropping them herself, so it wasn’t necessarily one meal=one bottle less but maybe in between meals she would have slightly less. How many bottles a day does he have? MM is a month older but she has anything from 3-5 bottles a day of 21l so it really varies!

• Heart
Any advice on dealing with reflux?? All I’m seeing is to feed slowly and burp which we’ve always done and to keep baby sitting up for about an hour after, which is near impossible with twins, and they’re both suffering with it 😭 we’ve also been using gripe water, and I was blaming that but after a few days not using it, still the same.. I could change these babies 3-4 times after one feed because they’re spitting up so much..
Hey! We did all of this and had gaviscon from the GP but that made him constipated and tbh didn’t help him that much, we had omeprazole for quite a while and also anti reflux SMA formula prescribed from the GP. This helped the most! Hope it eases for them soon 🤞🏽

• Heart
Anyone give their babas supper? I’ve given her porridge but not sure what else to give her before bed that’s light?

Same as what @themuffinwoman said, I kept offering the bottles at regular times and he dropped one completely himself. He’s on three meals a day now (although breakfast is hit or miss) so he has one bottle for first nap, bottle for second nap a bedtime bottle and usually one during the night now. We had a few weeeks where he went off the milk completely and I was struggling to get 15ounces in but now he’s anywhere between 20 and 30 over the course of 24 hours.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
For those of you with LOs at nursery- how did it work with baby/toddler rooms? MM had her first session this week, her nursery has a baby room then a 1-2 year olds room. She’s 11 months on Sunday. I only ask because I don’t want her to start off in the baby room and then get used to it for a month, to then be moved and have to adjust to something all over again. The nursery is new and wasn’t open when I visited, the baby room seemed very much for little ones, e.g mostly Moses baskets and some toys, whereas the 1-2 room has stuff she plays with now. That being said, I don’t want her being overwhelmed and with a load of bigger kids who knock her over etc.
sorry for the ramble I’m just so worried about her starting and I need it to not rub off on her 😭
---

The numbness does get better! Honestly it’s only the last few months I’ve regained feeling, I still have a numb patch. I met a midwife who said after 13 years she still had a numb part :/ I should probs do it but I was told running a make up brush over the area helps stimulate the nerves so you could try that maybe?
Apparently ours does baby room up until about 18 months, then they try and move as many of them as they can up together so they still have 'friends'. All of them are mobile in that room though, I wouldn't be particularly keen if LO was younger and not crawling yet. But at the childminders she has a smaller space and more hands on time with them as she can only take 8 kids total and has about 4 in school so there's only 3 or 4 with her during the day.

RE: scars, scar massage is great as long as the external area is healed and not causing any problems. You don't need bio oil or specific oil from My Expert Midwife if you don't already have it, you can just use any cream that is slippery enough to rub in (sudocreme is too sticky for example, but a nice body moisturiser can work). Work along the scar from one end to the other doing little tiny circles, you can put a decent amount of pressure on it. When you have any kind of cut or incision your body lays skin cells down really quickly and in a disorganised fashion which can make the layers of your skin stick together, so massage can break that up and promote it to heal properly (healing takes years - which means you've got time to reduce it). You don't need any fancy tools, just your fingers and whatever cream you choose. You want to get quite deep into it as your skin has multiple layers like we all know, but if there's any pain or soreness then don't carry on.

If you've got numb patches you could try different textures on it too, in my old job we used to shove hands in dried pasta, rice, flour, oats, you name it! Bit tricky on a stomach scar but you could try massaging it like above with different things like the corner of a satin pillow case, a more rough hessian, something bobbly like a massage spiky ball (gently!).

--

Had our first A+E visit yesterday, baby WC has croup and was panting like he'd run a marathon all of a sudden - he'd been coughing a bit sounding like a seal but nothing major and then all of a sudden he was just there heavy breathing and crying. Wonderful. Seems to be better today after some steroids and a good sleep but still coughing and you can tell it's sore. 99% certain he caught it from his settling in session at nursery on Thursday, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Anyone give their babas supper? I’ve given her porridge but not sure what else to give her before bed that’s light?
Baby L has tea at nursery around 4.30 so we do banana and yogurt, toast, leftovers from another snack/meal eg tortilla pizza, at 5.30/6

He still has a whole 7oz bedtime bottle on top of whatever we give him though 😅

• Heart
go Baby Bandit, sort of! 😂 this is no help whatsoever but I found she dropped the milk herself, so I kept offering her it at the same times I usually would but she just started dropping them herself, so it wasn’t necessarily one meal=one bottle less but maybe in between meals she would have slightly less. How many bottles a day does he have? MM is a month older but she has anything from 3-5 bottles a day of 21l so it really varies!
Thank you! He has around 5 bottles a day and has been less keen on drinking for most of today but unsure if that's because he was full up or because he wasn't feeling well! He's just chugged most of a bottle though and then I'll offer him more at bedtime. Poor sausage has been so glum for most of today 😢
---
Same as what @themuffinwoman said, I kept offering the bottles at regular times and he dropped one completely himself. He’s on three meals a day now (although breakfast is hit or miss) so he has one bottle for first nap, bottle for second nap a bedtime bottle and usually one during the night now. We had a few weeeks where he went off the milk completely and I was struggling to get 15ounces in but now he’s anywhere between 20 and 30 over the course of 24 hours.
Thank you!

@WeepingCassandra how scary - I hope baby feels better soon ❤

• Heart
Hello just thought I’d park myself in these threads as Baby Lava has now arrived ❤ Seven pounds seven ounces and five days early.

As you can see from the timestamp of this message we’re already settling into the new Mum lifestyle 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Hello just thought I’d park myself in these threads as Baby Lava has now arrived ❤ Seven pounds seven ounces and five days early.

As you can see from the timestamp of this message we’re already settling into the new Mum lifestyle 🤣
Congratulations 😍 welcome, the nighttime here is nice as I never feel too alone when feeding in the middle of the night

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Congratulations! Hope you and Baby Lava are doing well. There will always be someone here at all hours of the night!
---
Congratulations 😍 welcome, the nighttime here is nice as I never feel too alone when feeding in the middle of the night
I think you've come up with a great thread title suggestion with this! 'the nighttime here is nice' ☺😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 6

Congratulations and welcome! ☺

Congrats! How are you and they? Tis indeed a good thread with excellent suggestions.

Congratulations 🥰

Babies woke up with a temp of 39.2 & is pulling on her ear. I feel so awful for her 😢
So no nursery here & my relaxing hair appointment has become a mummy & baby cuddle day.

Anyone got any ear infection tips?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.