New baby and post birth advice #56

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is 8.5 week sleep regression a thing?! Gone from a baby who only woke up once or twice a night and who would sleep in his cot to a baby who is now waking every hour or so and won’t sleep unless he’s on me 😩

Is 8.5 week sleep regression a thing?! Gone from a baby who only woke up once or twice a night and who would sleep in his cot to a baby who is now waking every hour or so and won’t sleep unless he’s on me 😩
Could be a growth spurt!

Babies woke up with a temp of 39.2 & is pulling on her ear. I feel so awful for her 😢
So no nursery here & my relaxing hair appointment has become a mummy & baby cuddle day.

Anyone got any ear infection tips?
Keep on top of the pain relief, lots of fluids, lots of cuddles.

If you need to, then fight your corner with health professionals. When Biscuit Junior had an ear infection a few years back, I had a massive argument with the GP receptionist over it, because she said they would only see him if it went on for 3 days or more. I wasn't happy about that, so I told her if I didn't get a call back I would go and camp out in the surgery until they saw him. When I got a call back it was a nurse who tried to tell me the same, until I put my foot down. Eventually they gave us an appointment to see the GP, and when we got there he said that 3 days was the rule, but I did the right thing by insisting he was seen.

Reactions: 4
When I said I was going back on one day less my manager told me that the team had decided that even though I was only dropping one day a week they couldn't support me returning on that number of hours. I asked if they'd keep the maternity cover on as she was doing it at my original hours but got told no, they want the money for a different job in the service. Today an advert has gone out for my job role (on my original hours - not stated on the advert but in the job description) and I am bleeping pissed off.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
Mini muffin’s nursery visit went so well 🥹 I’m so proud of her. I really felt comfortable there and she seemed relaxed and confident. She went into the 1-2s room, she’ll be the youngest there but another 11 month old is joining soon. Just one niggling thing… the others are older and were walking, she was crawling to places and standing up. Her favourite place to stand is the window, she went and stood up by the window. She had socks on so was slippy, I said oh she slips and stumbles sometimes so you have to watch she doesn’t hurt herself and they said we could get her socks with grips on and they would try, but if she hits her head they would let me know. I know accidents happen but is it unrealistic of me to think um, no, could you watch her so she doesn’t smack her head on the glass???
Also…. Any opinions on switching to cow’s milk? They only do cow milk there, I can bring formula in which is fine and would only be for a month but I’m thinking would it be good practice for her to have cow’s milk at nursery (one day a week) or is that a bad idea?
And finally. I have a job interview this week- I feel a bit weird telling them I’m on maternity leave but I feel as I’m still on leave I should tell them. There’s no requirement when I’m back to say I’ve been on mat leave but if they ask oh what did you do last week I’m gonna be like well I went to sing and sign then sensory 🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Keep on top of the pain relief, lots of fluids, lots of cuddles.

If you need to, then fight your corner with health professionals. When Biscuit Junior had an ear infection a few years back, I had a massive argument with the GP receptionist over it, because she said they would only see him if it went on for 3 days or more. I wasn't happy about that, so I told her if I didn't get a call back I would go and camp out in the surgery until they saw him. When I got a call back it was a nurse who tried to tell me the same, until I put my foot down. Eventually they gave us an appointment to see the GP, and when we got there he said that 3 days was the rule, but I did the right thing by insisting he was seen.
Thankfully they've given me an appointment this afternoon. She's been pulling it for a few days but I thought it was teething so I feel a very guilty mummy today.
It's so bad that you had to fight line that though. It's frustrating. Plus what if it was the back end of the week?!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Mini muffin’s nursery visit went so well 🥹 I’m so proud of her. I really felt comfortable there and she seemed relaxed and confident. She went into the 1-2s room, she’ll be the youngest there but another 11 month old is joining soon. Just one niggling thing… the others are older and were walking, she was crawling to places and standing up. Her favourite place to stand is the window, she went and stood up by the window. She had socks on so was slippy, I said oh she slips and stumbles sometimes so you have to watch she doesn’t hurt herself and they said we could get her socks with grips on and they would try, but if she hits her head they would let me know. I know accidents happen but is it unrealistic of me to think um, no, could you watch her so she doesn’t smack her head on the glass???
Also…. Any opinions on switching to cow’s milk? They only do cow milk there, I can bring formula in which is fine and would only be for a month but I’m thinking would it be good practice for her to have cow’s milk at nursery (one day a week) or is that a bad idea?
And finally. I have a job interview this week- I feel a bit weird telling them I’m on maternity leave but I feel as I’m still on leave I should tell them. There’s no requirement when I’m back to say I’ve been on mat leave but if they ask oh what did you do last week I’m gonna be like well I went to sing and sign then sensory 🥴
Ah, they were the same with our LO! He's very busy and active and always smashing his head into something, losing his balance or whatever. A couple of times at our settling in sessions the girls looked at each other after he feel over and said "Oh we might need to get a cold compress on that..." like no, he's fine, just be aware that he has no spatial awareness and often trips over. No biggy unless he's crying/vomiting/lost conciousness/cut something! I can see a lot of "Baby WC headbutted xyz" or "Baby WC has fallen over and hit his head twice today" in my future.

We're on our last pot of formula at home :cry: and we've started doing smaller formula bottles topped up to the 'normal' amount with milk. Not sure if that's the right way to do it or not but it seems to make sense.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
What do you put on a crawling babies feet? I bought him an all in one water proof so we can get out in the garden but I really struggle to find shoes that fit and I know you have to be careful with footwear before a certain age. I got like ugg type things but his age size is tiny and the next size up are HUGE and he just sits and stares at them and refuses to move.

What do you put on a crawling babies feet? I bought him an all in one water proof so we can get out in the garden but I really struggle to find shoes that fit and I know you have to be careful with footwear before a certain age. I got like ugg type things but his age size is tiny and the next size up are HUGE and he just sits and stares at them and refuses to move.
They should be soft flexible soles. I bought some atipas (or something) but she doesn’t really like them.

Reactions: 1
We just got our little one some pre walkers from Clark’s. They measured his feet too and he was so smiley 🥹 he’s not crawling yet but sometimes he needs more than just socks like if we are out and it’s cold or when we go to the park!
---
I was going to ask is it only start rite and Clark’s who do good fitting shoes for little ones? There must be more than these 2 brands?!

I got pre walkers from Clark’s. When he could pull himself up and cruise though. When he’s crawling around outside, he’s got a waterproof with feet xx

Anyone baby go through a phase of having a melt down half way through meals sitting in high chair…..please tell me it’s a phase!!!

• Heart
We just got our little one some pre walkers from Clark’s. They measured his feet too and he was so smiley 🥹 he’s not crawling yet but sometimes he needs more than just socks like if we are out and it’s cold or when we go to the park!
---
I was going to ask is it only start rite and Clark’s who do good fitting shoes for little ones? There must be more than these 2 brands?!
Marks and spencers shoes are quite good!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Why is it that doctors class everything as viral?! A temp of 39.2 and yes it does respond to paracetamol but she's at her max of that and ibuprofen today and her temp was still 37.7! But oh no it's a virus! But to go back tomorrow if she's still getting a temperature because tomorrow it'll probably be bacterial.
Poor little mite is so sad because her ear is sore. It's glowing red & she's just not herself. I hate feeling helpless and i really wish I could take it away from her

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Anyone baby go through a phase of having a melt down half way through meals sitting in high chair…..please tell me it’s a phase!!!
I hope it’s just a phase because we’re in it too and it’s infuriating. I know probably not the best but the tv distracts him out of it 🙈
---
They should be soft flexible soles. I bought some atipas (or something) but she doesn’t really like them.
Mine hates anything on his feet including socks 🫡
---
---
Thank you! I was putting off Clark’s until he’s walking but might need to go before

• Heart
I hope it’s just a phase because we’re in it too and it’s infuriating. I know probably not the best but the tv distracts him out of it 🙈
---

Mine hates anything on his feet including socks 🫡
---

Thank you! I was putting off Clark’s until he’s walking but might need to go before
The ones we got were £24 so not too bad but you could find pairs on vinted for a lot less as long as you know his size! X

I think baby burrito is teething, or the beginnings of it anyway. He’s been so fussy the last few days and won’t let me rock him to sleep anymore. He screams if I’m holding him and just wants to lay flat on the bed with his dummy and a muslin to grab, or I put him straight into his snoo and he goes to sleep. Has he sleep trained himself!? I haven’t done anything 😂 Am I going to have an awful shock in a few weeks when he hits the 4 month regression??

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
It’s been so hard looking after baby while we’re both sick :( We both just want to stay in bed and rest. Hubby is a little bit better than I am thankfully, his symptoms did start sooner though, at least someone is more with it.

Still hoping baby doesn’t catch it? We think it sounds like we both have covid (don’t have tests). How can we both stay away from baby so he doesn’t get it though? We don’t have one well parent to do that.. he has a little bit of a cough but doesn’t seem often enough and otherwise he seems like his normal self.

To top off how crappy I’m feeling my period decided to show up 2 days early :(
So bloody miserable :(

• Heart
Reactions: 7
It’s been so hard looking after baby while we’re both sick :( We both just want to stay in bed and rest. Hubby is a little bit better than I am thankfully, his symptoms did start sooner though, at least someone is more with it.

Still hoping baby doesn’t catch it? We think it sounds like we both have covid (don’t have tests). How can we both stay away from baby so he doesn’t get it though? We don’t have one well parent to do that.. he has a little bit of a cough but doesn’t seem often enough and otherwise he seems like his normal self.

You're really going through it at the moment, I hope you feel better soon ❤

• Heart

Sorry, you're feeling so rubbish! Me and my husband had covid when baby was about 3 weeks old. Luckily she didn't catch it. I remember using Google loads of signs in babies but there is hardly anything out there, maybe it's the one thing they don't really catch 🤷‍♀️🤞

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.