New baby and post birth advice #56

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Baby Ro seems to only be able to sleep max 10hrs at night (with a wake) and I can never get him back off. Usually it’s ‘okay’ as the wake is 5am for the day, however today it’s 4.20!!! And he won’t go back.
I’ve tried everything from switching naps to a 7.30 bedtime and still he’s up at 5 but just more tired. He goes to bed around 6.20/30.
Can those with older babies tell me by 12 months this stops? 🥲
It’s been happening most nights since the 8month sleep regression. Which also means he still needs 3 naps in those days, if he doesn’t have them he’s then awake 45mins-hourly throughout the night from being overtired.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Baby Ro seems to only be able to sleep max 10hrs at night (with a wake) and I can never get him back off. Usually it’s ‘okay’ as the wake is 5am for the day, however today it’s 4.20!!! And he won’t go back.
I’ve tried everything from switching naps to a 7.30 bedtime and still he’s up at 5 but just more tired. He goes to bed around 6.20/30.
It’s been happening most nights since the 8month sleep regression. Which also means he still needs 3 naps in those days, if he doesn’t have them he’s then awake 45mins-hourly throughout the night from being overtired.
If anyone can share their babies routine (10-11month olds) that would be helpful to see if I can tweak anywhere

I feel you, my 7 month old wakes up at 5 most days too and I'm really not ready to start my day then 😅

Reactions: 1
If anyone can share their babies routine (10-11month olds) that would be helpful to see if I can tweak anywhere
We’re going through similar but more like 11 hours (with multiple wakes), so not entirely the same. But I’ve tried everything under the sun (and moon) to improve sleep and it doesn’t work. She seems to naturally wake up between 6:30-7:30. Then she has breakfast, play, nap any time between 9:30-12, lunch, nap between any time between 1:30-4, bedtime 7-8. Roughly. How much is he napping during the day? I found when she was doing 12-13 hours overnight her naps were severely reduced so I’m guessing it works the other way round maybe, if he’s sleeping a lot during the day he might need less sleep at night, so he wakes up early? Solidarity, it sucks.

Reactions: 2
It’s been so hard looking after baby while we’re both sick :( We both just want to stay in bed and rest. Hubby is a little bit better than I am thankfully, his symptoms did start sooner though, at least someone is more with it.

Still hoping baby doesn’t catch it? We think it sounds like we both have covid (don’t have tests). How can we both stay away from baby so he doesn’t get it though? We don’t have one well parent to do that.. he has a little bit of a cough but doesn’t seem often enough and otherwise he seems like his normal self.

To top off how crappy I’m feeling my period decided to show up 2 days early :(
So bloody miserable :(
Oh feel better soon ☹☹
I had a baby through Covid, and the general consensus is that they don’t get it or don’t get it enough to be poorly x

Baby VT is 11 months and we had quite a bad spell with her sleep from 9 months where she kept waking up at 4.30am and wouldn’t go back to sleep plus multiple wake ups through the night regardless of what time she went down. Not to jinx myself but it’s been loads better the last few weeks and more like how it was before her regression. Our usual day time routine is loosely like this (I’m not strict on nap times, I’m more baby led) This obviously changes slightly on her nursery days but my mum and Mr VT follow my lead too when they have her:

5.30am wake up for dummy and cuddle, 95% of the time she goes straight back to sleep in my bed

6.30am-7am wake up - some days I wake her (I’m back in work so it’s a necessity). 8oz bottle

8.30am ish - breakfast

10am ish - snack

11am ish - nap (this could be a bit earlier or a bit later, depending on what she’s doing, ie nursery, with me/ my parents etc) It’s usually about an hour

1pm ish - lunch

3pm ish - nap again this could be a bit earlier or a bit later and some days she will not go down at all in the afternoon. If she does it’s usually about 40 minutes

5pm ish - dinner (or if she’s been to nursery she will have had dinner so just a snack)

6.30pm bath, 8oz bottle and aim to be in bed by 7pm.

She sleeps in her cot in her own room and isn’t much of a napper which is why I think she usually sleeps well over night, some nights she’ll have a grizzle if she can’t find her dummy but usually I don’t hear her until 5.30am.

I hope this helps - the regression was horrendous and I thought it would never end but it did get better xx

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I saw someone on here does 2/3/4 for wake windows and it really helped us. I try for 2 x 90 min naps, but have found as a general rule of thumb that 3 hours sleep during the day works for us.

We generally contact nap & she feeds to sleep (I know people don't generally like this but it works for us).

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Baby VT is 11 months and we had quite a bad spell with her sleep from 9 months where she kept waking up at 4.30am and wouldn’t go back to sleep plus multiple wake ups through the night regardless of what time she went down. Not to jinx myself but it’s been loads better the last few weeks and more like how it was before her regression. Our usual day time routine is loosely like this (I’m not strict on nap times, I’m more baby led) This obviously changes slightly on her nursery days but my mum and Mr VT follow my lead too when they have her:

5.30am wake up for dummy and cuddle, 95% of the time she goes straight back to sleep in my bed

6.30am-7am wake up - some days I wake her (I’m back in work so it’s a necessity). 8oz bottle

8.30am ish - breakfast

10am ish - snack

11am ish - nap (this could be a bit earlier or a bit later, depending on what she’s doing, ie nursery, with me/ my parents etc) It’s usually about an hour

1pm ish - lunch

3pm ish - nap again this could be a bit earlier or a bit later and some days she will not go down at all in the afternoon. If she does it’s usually about 40 minutes

5pm ish - dinner (or if she’s been to nursery she will have had dinner so just a snack)

6.30pm bath, 8oz bottle and aim to be in bed by 7pm.

She sleeps in her cot in her own room and isn’t much of a napper which is why I think she usually sleeps well over night, some nights she’ll have a grizzle if she can’t find her dummy but usually I don’t hear her until 5.30am.

I hope this helps - the regression was horrendous and I thought it would never end but it did get better xx
This is almost exactly the same as our routine although bedtime is a tad later. Glad to hear sleep got better as the last month or so has been rough for us and she’s 11 months on Sunday x

Reactions: 3
Baby T usually wakes between 6 and 7, has a 3 hour wake window and then naps for about 1.5 hours. 3.5 wake window. 30 min nap then 4 hour wake window before bed. When I started this routine we had six nights of only one wake (he had been waking about four times a night for almost two months before that). The last three nights haven’t been great but he is teething so I’m assuming it’s that!

Feeling like an awful mummy today. I can't make things ok for my little one with her ears. She's obviously not right because she's so grouchy and is crying more than normal. She keeps pulling on her ear & keeps getting a temperature.
She seems so hurt & lost that I can't make it better. My GP won't do anything because her ear isn't leaking & because she's got a cold too they think it's all viral.
I'm on annual leave this week, so thankfully I have all the time to give to her, but by heck I wish we could be having fun instead of her being ill

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Feeling like an awful mummy today. I can't make things ok for my little one with her ears. She's obviously not right because she's so grouchy and is crying more than normal. She keeps pulling on her ear & keeps getting a temperature.
She seems so hurt & lost that I can't make it better. My GP won't do anything because her ear isn't leaking & because she's got a cold too they think it's all viral.
I'm on annual leave this week, so thankfully I have all the time to give to her, but by heck I wish we could be having fun instead of her being ill
Poor little pickle 💔 you're not an awful mum, you're doing everything you can and giving her lots of cuddles ❤ is it worth calling the health visitor duty team in case they have advice for how to manage it? Can do you a gentle warm compress or gently massage around her ears to ease the pain a little? I hope she feels better soon!

• Heart
Poor little pickle 💔 you're not an awful mum, you're doing everything you can and giving her lots of cuddles ❤ is it worth calling the health visitor duty team in case they have advice for how to manage it? Can do you a gentle warm compress or gently massage around her ears to ease the pain a little? I hope she feels better soon!
Our HV aren't the most helpful people tbh but if it continues I'll give them a call. I'll try the compress though, if she'll let me near her ears, thanks for the tip

@Tifastrife ok kinda makes me feel better it’s not just us going through it. He used to be so chilled in his high chair…. Now it’s like 3 mins and MELTDOWN!!

Thanks for all your sleep / routine tips / info 🙌🏼❤
Pre baby I woke up at half 4/5 for work so don’t mind the early starts but he is absolutely wrecked by 6.30-7am & I end up having to take him out in the buggy to give him a bridge nap which I don’t enjoy 😂
Will see if I can get him to nap a bit longer in the afternoon as he does his long nap in the morning, then hopefully push bedtime back a little bit 🙏

• Heart
Reactions: 5
We've had to cancel our first full day at nursery tomorrow and will probably cancel Friday too as LOs still down with the croup. Hope this isn't how we're going to be conducting business going forward! Glad I don't have to start back at work tomorrow!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I was too smug, baby is almost 4 weeks and I've had 3 weeks of proper breast-feeding really and my nipples weren't hurting and I was like oh maybe it's skipped me... Oh how was I wrong

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I was too smug, baby is almost 4 weeks and I've had 3 weeks of proper breast-feeding really and my nipples weren't hurting and I was like oh maybe it's skipped me... Oh how was I wrong
Coconut oil is a godsend, you can slather it all over and if it’s not fully absorbed away before the next feed, no bother cos it’s baby safe. The baby multivits have a drop of coconut oil in with them even!

In the midst of the worst night sleep ever!
Little one went down for her sleep beautifully but an hour later woke up screaming. She's cried for about an hour since. I've given her the daily total of calpol & nurofen because of her ear infection so if its pain I feel stuck. At what point is it classed as not normal, because when she's been crying like this before when she was ill my gp said "well she's a baby they cry" very unhelpfully & ignored me when I said my little one very rarely cries.
We've taken to camping on the sofa, cuddling up together & praying for at least a decent few hours sleep together.

Hubby "tried" to get her to sleep but it consisted of him cuddling her whilst watching tik toks very loudly & her keeping looking startled.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
In the midst of the worst night sleep ever!
Little one went down for her sleep beautifully but an hour later woke up screaming. She's cried for about an hour since. I've given her the daily total of calpol & nurofen because of her ear infection so if its pain I feel stuck. At what point is it classed as not normal, because when she's been crying like this before when she was ill my gp said "well she's a baby they cry" very unhelpfully & ignored me when I said my little one very rarely cries.
We've taken to camping on the sofa, cuddling up together & praying for at least a decent few hours sleep together.

Hubby "tried" to get her to sleep but it consisted of him cuddling her whilst watching tik toks very loudly & her keeping looking startled.
I'm so sorry 😔 we rang 111 about baby bandit a few months ago because he was sobbing and screaming inconsolably for 45 minutes with no calm moments, and they said we did the right thing because it's not normal for a baby to cry that much for that long when none of the usual things that calm them down are working (he was 6 months old and unwell at the time). I got two different callbacks from medical staff to further assess the situation and they took it really seriously - by the time the second callback happened he'd tired himself out and fallen asleep on me, so we knew it was nothing serious. Do things like walking with her, taking her to a doorway for fresh air and anything else that normally helps her work for a bit? If not, or if she keeps screaming on and off I'd suggest calling 111 for advice - they've always been so lovely whenever we've called and they usually err on the side of caution by getting a doctor to call back to offer advice/prescribe something to help/give you a plan of action. I hope your night gets better and that your husband is more helpful soon ❤

Edit - I forgot to add, baby bandit had been screaming each evening for a few nights and that was the first night he was inconsolable for so long - on the other nights, going to a mirror with him so he could look at himself and putting some "hey bear" videos on youtube helped calm him down enough for me to properly rock him to sleep, but he didn't want to be put in his cot (every time I tried he'd sleep for a bit then wake up sobbing) so I stayed up cuddling him while he slept and then my husband took over after a few hours so I could rest. Sometimes babies feel poorly and unfortunately all we can offer once the pain relief is maxed out is cuddles, stroking their face and gentle singing - but it's worth contacting 111 just to check if there's more that can be done if your gut tells you something's not right ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.