New baby and post birth advice #37 The only way to eat porridge is to tip it in the bin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ahhh you guys are my people! I try and be good but I defo only manage it once a day if that 😬

Also breast feeding mamas, are you genuinely doing the vit D drops? The HV asked me this week at the 1 year appt and I was like oooohhh yes, definitely doing that more than once a month when I remember 😬👀
Only because they're premature do I bother with any vitamins. Had they been full term they wouldn't even be in the house 😂😂

Reactions: 1
On a related note, anyone know how you’re supposed to get yourself registered with a dentist these days when none of them around you are taking NHS patients? I know I can get baby registered but I need to join one myself I stupidly stopped going after a bad experience a few years back 😫 and they struck me off or whatever it’s called and now I’m screwed

Right said Fred 😂😂

Sameeee! And she’s playing guitar in the main frame and dancing in a little box at the top. dislike her 😂

Ok, this will sound awful, but I’m terrible at brushing teeth until they get to about 3 🫠 I do brush them sometimes, but other times I’m like ‘meh’ I really trying to make an effort more with 3yo, but I’m always bloody rushing out the door, I don’t always have time
And that’s where the bald partnerships end 😂

I don’t know what it is that’s so creepy, my OH hates the London Bridge lady too, basically we only like ms Rachel 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Ahhh you guys are my people! I try and be good but I defo only manage it once a day if that 😬

Also breast feeding mamas, are you genuinely doing the vit D drops? The HV asked me this week at the 1 year appt and I was like oooohhh yes, definitely doing that more than once a month when I remember 😬👀
But how to you give it to them, I used to put it in the bottle of expressed milk but I started to realise unless he devoured every drop it’s probably getting left behind… 🤦🏻‍♀️ so I just stopped giving at all 😬

On a related note, anyone know how you’re supposed to get yourself registered with a dentist these days when none of them around you are taking NHS patients? I know I can get baby registered but I need to join one myself I stupidly stopped going after a bad experience a few years back 😫 and they struck me off or whatever it’s called and now I’m screwed
I wish I did! I literally have a hole in my tooth and because there’s no pain or bleeding it isn’t considered an emergency and no one will see me. Total waste of a pregnancy exemption, haven’t been able to use it at all, not a single dentist in my whole county taking patients 🤯🤗 they’d see me in 5 minutes private though - figures!

• Sad
Reactions: 3
So if I ever ask KW to help get baby to sleep during the night, he always takes her downstairs to rock her back to sleep… but then once she’s back to sleep he doesn’t come back to bed?! He’ll just sit up with her until she next needs feeding. Which means he never really helps at night. Anyway he didn’t come to bed til midnight again last night, I’ve already been awake an hour with the baby so I asked if he’d take a turn and now he’s moaning he’ll only get 4 hours sleep. Literally no one is asking you to stay awake after she’s asleep! I don’t get it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
But how to you give it to them, I used to put it in the bottle of expressed milk but I started to realise unless he devoured every drop it’s probably getting left behind… 🤦🏻‍♀️ so I just stopped giving at all 😬
I pour a bit onto my finger and rub it on his tongue basically kind of the way I would anbesol on his gums he doesn’t seem to mind it and doesn’t bite that much 😂
I used to drop it on my nipple as well just before his first morning feed that always worked

Probably at risk of getting them fired but we legit bribed (with a holiday discount) my husbands dentist to take me on as a patient as the wait list was over 6 months!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Vitamin D - nope, don't do it. Probably should in the winter so I might give it a try.
Teeth brushing - we are quite militant on it actually and brush twice a day from first tooth appearing.
NHS dentist - basically you can't get registered unless you are super lucky, they're in such a state and almost nowhere in the country has any spaces. When we moved to where we live now which was about 4.5 years ago I went on a mission of calling round every single NHS dentist in about a 20 mile radius every week and eventually one of them took me on but I got super lucky. We take the kids from whenever my next appointment is after they get their first tooth so we're actually going next week so baby will be 8m.

Also, the 3yo slept 🙌
The baby made up for it by waking every hour instead of every 2 hours 🤦

I commented about this before. I have a massive fear of dentists. I can't even go in the waiting room without a panic attack. Last time I went, I passed out from said panic attack.
Can't afford private. And whilst private take on NHS children, you have to be attending regular yourself as a private patient for them to take your child on.
So I can't get the kids in anywhere.
I've contacted the health visitor, the doctors, almost every NHS dentist within the space of 20 miles around here.
And I can't get them in. And it's a massive worry for me!

The one thing I admire about MrBore is his dedication to eating whatever the duck he likes, just because he’s an adult and he can. A pack of party food pizzas 👌🏻👌🏻
This is true.
He introduced me to the possibility of these things as an adult 😂
My Mum never used to let us have anything she classed as a "Fattening" meal.
So when he said "Shall we have sausage roll and chips for dinner?"
And I'm like sorry? What? People eat that? 😂
I'd never had smiley faces or turkey dinosaurs or anything either 😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
With the one drop ones I used to put it on a clean finger and pop it in. With the NHS ones it’s five drops so I do them on a spoon (plus he has teeth now)

Asked KW what he gave the kids for tea last night while I was out - he steamed some frozen casserole veg mix (which was onion carrot and celery) and cooked a potato waffle for baby elf. 🤣 no wonder the kids has ate two weetabux this morning

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Remember your dental issues at the next election guys.
They won’t take on anymore NHS patients due to funding. Years ago they brought out UDCs (units of dental care) that are basically tokens. Different things on the NHS ‘cost’ the practice X amount of tokens. Each practice in the country got a % of the ones created based on how many NHS patients they had.
And then that’s how many they got granted the following year. If they run out before the end of the year, they reach the cap on what they can claim back from the NHS and have to cover it themselves. If they don’t use them all, they get less the following year (and when I last looked into it, those credits just disappear forever, they aren’t reallocated!!)

Absolute shambles. It’s basically the same as childcare, providers aren’t being reimbursed at the rate it costs to actually deliver, so places disappear.

Also, we don’t train enough in the first place.
When they lifted the cap on student numbers a few years back, generally universities are now in charge of how many students they recruit to each course. Each UK student pays £9125/year and it is up to universities to balance intakes on cheaper and more expensive to deliver courses.
Except medicine and dentistry. It costs around 50k a year to train a doctor, and the students pay £9125, and as the graduates are considered so necessary, the gov pays universities the rest.
But, because of this, they cap how many UK students medical and dental schools take, because the gov has a £ limit they don’t want to go over. Brilliant students get turned away, even though most medical and dental schools can train more students than they get funded for - so the places are offered to international students instead, who pay the full whack and then mostly go home after they qualify.

Anyway. That’s enough soapboxing for one Saturday. Got to get ready to go to a festive event at the nursery today, we need to finish some paperwork before he starts and figured today made sense as KW can be there while we all get on the same page about allergy stuff.

Reactions: 12
Yet again, I feel like Great Britain is mad. We have loads of available NHS dentists here taking people on, if anyone fancies a twice yearly trip over the water.

Reactions: 4
KW rant to start the weekend 🙄

I’ve now got the same cold that him and the baby have both had recently. At about 1am baby started stirring so I nudged him and asked him to see to her. I do it every time, every night because her cot is next to my side of the bed, but I felt really rough. He muttered yeah ok and then did nothing. She stirred more and more until she started crying then stood up in her cot. He STILL did nothing! I was literally laying there repeatedly saying “Mr G?? She’s crying can you get her?” And he was like “I am” without moving and with his eyes shut.

I was absolutely livid. I got up and got her then shouted at him for being bleeping useless. Not my proudest moment in the middle of the night but ffs how hard is it to help out! Baby G then came into our bed and spent two hours climbing around and whacking me, while he went back to sleep.

And while me and Baby have been awake together since 7, guess who’s still asleep now 😡

• Angry
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
Tommy has released a new reign of terror. He tricked us with a few days of good sleep and then the past two nights won't sleep for tit and wakes up screaming the bloody house down. Nothing will silence him so in a moment of madness/desperation we put Toy Story on - worked like a charm so now what does he expect every night at 1am? FFS. This kid has me sussed. :LOL:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
KW rant to start the weekend 🙄

I’ve now got the same cold that him and the baby have both had recently. At about 1am baby started stirring so I nudged him and asked him to see to her. I do it every time, every night because her cot is next to my side of the bed, but I felt really rough. He muttered yeah ok and then did nothing. She stirred more and more until she started crying then stood up in her cot. He STILL did nothing! I was literally laying there repeatedly saying “Mr G?? She’s crying can you get her?” And he was like “I am” without moving and with his eyes shut.

I was absolutely livid. I got up and got her then shouted at him for being bleeping useless. Not my proudest moment in the middle of the night but ffs how hard is it to help out! Baby G then came into our bed and spent two hours climbing around and whacking me, while he went back to sleep.

And while me and Baby have been awake together since 7, guess who’s still asleep now 😡
In the bin, Mr Goss.

I find they have absolutely no sense of urgency. If ToddlerMe falls over and hurts himself and my husband is closest, it’s like a sloth moving over to get him.

Reactions: 8
My week of solo parenting two kiddos starts tomorrow, and my support person (my mum) just got covid 😭

And the baby is still struggling terribly with either wind or trying to poop. Hasn’t gone since Wednesday and I’m terribly paranoid for intussusception as that’s what they suspected he had when he was admitted to hospital at 6 weeks old (was not proved to be the case however). He’s has these awful moments of crying that are just ao out of character for him it seems he is in pain, but then 10 minutes later he’s back to his gorgeous smiley self 😔

• Heart
Reactions: 7
In the bin, Mr Goss.

I find they have absolutely no sense of urgency. If ToddlerMe falls over and hurts himself and my husband is closest, it’s like a sloth moving over to get him.
It’s the same here. The baby doesn’t understand “give me 5 mins” when he’s calling for us so inevitably I end up going to him while Mr SI messes about. So frustrating. Especially when they let it escalate because the baby has ‘asked’ in a normal way and they’ve either not picked up on it or not responded quickly enough, so crying starts 💔

My week of solo parenting two kiddos starts tomorrow, and my support person (my mum) just got covid 😭

And the baby is still struggling terribly with either wind or trying to poop. Hasn’t gone since Wednesday and I’m terribly paranoid for intussusception as that’s what they suspected he had when he was admitted to hospital at 6 weeks old (was not proved to be the case however). He’s has these awful moments of crying that are just ao out of character for him it seems he is in pain, but then 10 minutes later he’s back to his gorgeous smiley self 😔
Oh how crap 😵💫 is your mum ‘okay’ at least?
Deffo time for Mr Megatron to try to square you away as much as possible.

So it was my work Christmas party yesterday, I was home by 7 but it was a free bar with aloooot of prosecco from 12 so I was pretty drunk and went straight to bed. Only to be up being sick a couple of hours later 😭 so I had a very rough night.

KW has taken the eldest of swimming and left me here with the absolute nutter that is baby elf 🤣 I've done myself some chips in the airfryer (yes I got one last week, yes I love it) and I'm trying eat them with baby elf all over me throwing a paddy untill I share my chips 🙃 im never going out again its not worth it

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.