New baby and post birth advice #37 The only way to eat porridge is to tip it in the bin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So it was my work Christmas party yesterday, I was home by 7 but it was a free bar with aloooot of prosecco from 12 so I was pretty drunk and went straight to bed. Only to be up being sick a couple of hours later šŸ˜­ so I had a very rough night.

KW has taken the eldest of swimming and left me here with the absolute nutter that is baby elf šŸ¤£ I've done myself some chips in the airfryer (yes I got one last week, yes I love it) and I'm trying eat them with baby elf all over me throwing a paddy untill I share my chips šŸ™ƒ im never going out again its not worth it
Solidarity, Iā€™m hungover too, and my fella is out all day at a work thing. God what Iā€™d do to lie in bed all day eating shite and scrolling through tiktok

Reactions: 3
Soo I think baby is constipated heā€™s screaming when doing a šŸ’© and itā€™s definitely more solid than it has been heā€™s just over 4 weeks does anyone have any tips on how I can help him šŸ„ŗ

Solidarity, Iā€™m hungover too, and my fella is out all day at a work thing. God what Iā€™d do to lie in bed all day eating shite and scrolling through tiktok
Its just not fun anymore is it šŸ˜­ everytime i do this i regret it massively. I don't know why I cant be one of those people that goes to the things but just has one or two drinks rather than ALL the drinks. It was free thats my only excuse šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Baby and 3yo are both poorly bless themšŸ˜­.

I'm really conflicted though and hoping one of you guys can give me some advice, so I took the 3yo to the docs yesterday as one of his ears is a little red and she confirmed he has a mild ear infection. She prescribed amoxicillan but told me not to give it to him unless necessary. He has woken again this morning quite warm, teary ao do you think its worth giving it to him??

gahhh I hate being a parent sometimes

Someone told me he'd get up with the baby this morning. That person is still asleep, I've been up since 7. šŸ¤”šŸ¤—

(I know 7 is a lie in for many of you! But it's the principle!)

Reactions: 4
Hi guys!

Probably a silly question, but Iā€™m 7 weeks post partum and have to take another GTT. Can I breastfeed in between the blood tests or should I express and my partner can bottle feed her?

Thanks

Hi guys!

Probably a silly question, but Iā€™m 7 weeks post partum and have to take another GTT. Can I breastfeed in between the blood tests or should I express and my partner can bottle feed her?

Thanks
I'm not 100% sure but I'd say you can breastfeed. Not everyone can express so they can't expect you to just not feed your baby in those 2 hours

I'm really conflicted though and hoping one of you guys can give me some advice, so I took the 3yo to the docs yesterday as one of his ears is a little red and she confirmed he has a mild ear infection. She prescribed amoxicillan but told me not to give it to him unless necessary. He has woken again this morning quite warm, teary ao do you think its worth giving it to him??

I'd give it to him. Surely if he's got even a milk ear infection, the antibiotics will get rid of it?
And from previous experience, they always seem to get worse, not better on their own šŸ¤”

• Heart
I'm not 100% sure but I'd say you can breastfeed. Not everyone can express so they can't expect you to just not feed your baby in those 2 hours

I'd give it to him. Surely if he's got even a milk ear infection, the antibiotics will get rid of it?
And from previous experience, they always seem to get worse, not better on their own šŸ¤”
Exactly my thinking! Thanks lovely x

I always find when the doctor says ā€˜bring them back if they get worseā€™ or ā€˜Iā€™ll prescribe you antibiotics, but only give it to them if necessaryā€™ means theyā€™re in the beginning of an infection/it will get worse. Iā€™m not sure why they are so blasĆ© about antibiotics and wants them to get worse before they do anything about it šŸ™„

I do have a question about antibiotics - baby is on amoxicillin for a chest infection (since Monday) but the last couple of days heā€™s been really rubbing/pulling his ear. I know different antibiotics are used for different infections, but not sure if itā€™s worth the docs looking in his ear and maybe getting a different type (I may have made it up about the different antibiotics šŸ˜‚)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Soo I think baby is constipated heā€™s screaming when doing a šŸ’© and itā€™s definitely more solid than it has been heā€™s just over 4 weeks does anyone have any tips on how I can help him šŸ„ŗ

Have a read of this. A lot of what seems like constipation actually is normal baby behaviour.

You can usually tell if they're constipated because it will be hard pellets. If it isn't, they usually aren't constipated.
As they get a bit older, their system slows down a bit and they'll need to start straining more and pushing to poop.
My second had to be put on laxatives as she was literally bleeding when passing the hard pellets. It was horrible.

Aaah, I'm behind again šŸ˜…

Kitten is very poorly. She has a fever 38Ā°+ (mostly close to 39Ā°) which doesn't go down that much with paracetamol. Her poos yesterday were veeerrry pale, which I have never seen on her. She hasn't poo'ed yet today, so hoping it'll be a better color today. She's teething like crazy, so maybe that's it? Her left cheek also stays red.
She coughs a lot (me too, dry cough) and yesterday it was so bad that she puked šŸ˜”
She has been napping for over 3 hours now! šŸ˜± So must mean she needs it.
Hope her fever has gone down now, if not I'll try nurofen and if that doesn't work I'll go to the GP, cause I'm worried :(
She still eats, although less.

@Trombolese so happy mrT found a new job. Can't wait for you to have your own place!
I'm considering going to see a psychologist indeed, cause I feel so down and just so incredibly tired all the time.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Aaah, I'm behind again šŸ˜…

Kitten is very poorly. She has a fever 38Ā°+ (mostly close to 39Ā°) which doesn't go down that much with paracetamol. Her poos yesterday were veeerrry pale, which I have never seen on her. She hasn't poo'ed yet today, so hoping it'll be a better color today. She's teething like crazy, so maybe that's it? Her left cheek also stays red.
She coughs a lot (me too, dry cough) and yesterday it was so bad that she puked šŸ˜”
She has been napping for over 3 hours now! šŸ˜± So must mean she needs it.
Hope her fever has gone down now, if not I'll try nurofen and if that doesn't work I'll go to the GP, cause I'm worried :(
She still eats, although less.

@Trombolese so happy mrT found a new job. Can't wait for you to have your own place!
I'm considering going to see a psychologist indeed, cause I feel so down and just so incredibly tired all the time.
Hope Kitten gets better soon. With one of my kids, I donā€™t find calpol works, we always have to go for the nurofen first x

So far, I'm finding it worse as he's getting older. As now we are eating out and about more, there are snacks at playgroups and things so his little pals are eating around him, and he's now mobile and actively interested in food. Like, I'd be watching him regardless as he can't be helping himself to food/snatching it from other kids etc. But having to be super vigilant and swoop down and stop him sharing things and deal with the sad little look on his face ain't it. And then you're wary of other kids who are eating/have food smeared on them. Cos not all parents are actually watching their kids and bother to give their hands/face a wipe when they're pure covered in food.
His allergy appts were crap too. He's not got an Allergy Plan for nursery and we're getting some labelled Piriton from the GP to send in. But the plan only mentions his nut allergy, and it's a nut free nursery so hopefully will never be exposed. For dairy we were helpfully told to google the dairy ladder and discharged. And his others aren't mentioned at all, soooo.

Sorry to be a downer x
We also had some info on the ladder and tbh I havenā€™t really done it orange has also eaten other childrenā€™s food at nursery and now sits with another child on the allergy table which is sweet. If we are out I tend to lean to vegan choices as I know itā€™s usually fine obviously I read the ingredients or I make sandwiches take them with me and fridge raiders crisps fruit cucumber sliced for snacks and you know what else is a great snack these little soreen lunch sized bars they do loads of different flavours and are vegan x

We also had some info on the ladder and tbh I havenā€™t really done it orange has also eaten other childrenā€™s food at nursery and now sits with another child on the allergy table which is sweet. If we are out I tend to lean to vegan choices as I know itā€™s usually fine obviously I read the ingredients or I make sandwiches take them with me and fridge raiders crisps fruit cucumber sliced for snacks and you know what else is a great snack these little soreen lunch sized bars they do loads of different flavours and are vegan x
Thank you and thank you @sodit for sharing your experiences, I guess it might get easier for a bit once we have it confirmed what his allergies are and then harder once we have nursery and parties etc to contend with!

Sometimes they can look as though theyā€™re constipated because the muscles they use to poop arenā€™t isolated yet so itā€™s a bit of a whole body effort to squeeze it out! You can try gently cycling his legs round and thereā€™s a baby massage technique called ā€œI love youā€ if you Google it which helps too.

Iā€™m currently in nap hell. Baby seems to think 2 x 20 mins a day is sufficient. She used to do 2 x 30 mins and an hour long one. KW is also away this weekend so I canā€™t get a single thing done now šŸ˜©šŸ˜©

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Iā€™ve posted before about being under the care of the perinatal mental health team due to high anxiety levels and feelings of depression. Iā€™ve been seeing a psychotherapist the last couple of months and in combo with medication itā€™s been brilliant for me, even as just being a safe space to talk through all my feelings on anything and everything. Admittedly some sessions can feel a bit emotionally draining but overall it really helps feel like a load has been lifted, so I would say that if you can find someone who you are comfortable chatting to then itā€™s well worth it, especially given everything youā€™ve been through this past year.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Iā€™m stressing out. The baby has a stuffy nose and a bit of a cough. Took his temp and itā€™s 37.5. Heā€™s 7 weeks old and was born at 36 weeks. Heā€™s hardly taking any of his bottles and has slept most of the day. I canā€™t do anything or give him anything can I?

• Heart
  • Sad
Iā€™m stressing out. The baby has a stuffy nose and a bit of a cough. Took his temp and itā€™s 37.5. Heā€™s 7 weeks old and was born at 36 weeks. Heā€™s hardly taking any of his bottles and has slept most of the day. I canā€™t do anything or give him anything can I?
Saline spray and snot sucker for his nose. Calpol for his temp, you can get a vapour baby bath from asda. Snuffle babe vapour oil is safe to use from birth and works like a calpol plug in x

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.