New baby and post birth advice #28 being a mum is the best present I could have ever wished for

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mr TY has been asked to work in Scotland for 3 weeks 😭
I'm so pissed off, he didn't even try to say no. Yet I ask for a back massage and I get a straight no.
He's not even a knobwaffle at the moment, he's so past the knobwaffle line, the line is a dot to him.
dickheadwafflearseholeidiotman.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
Hello, I have two silly questions for you all…

1. those doing BLW - how did you help little one with slippery fruit/veg like peaches or avocado? I’ve tried rolling them in desiccated coconut but that just slides off as well 😭 baby o is getting frustrated and we’ve had a few near misses with choking where it’s slipped out of her hand and down her throat

2. we’re in pull up nappies now as she wriggles around so much she loosens the waist band on normal nappies but how do you deal with big poos and getting them off? When I try they flip inside out and smear poo everywhere 🙃
The pull ups should tear off each side, so pull up and tear off!

Reactions: 1

1. those doing BLW - how did you help little one with slippery fruit/veg like peaches or avocado? I’ve tried rolling them in desiccated coconut but that just slides off as well 😭 baby o is getting frustrated and we’ve had a few near misses with choking where it’s slipped out of her hand and down her throat

2. we’re in pull up nappies now as she wriggles around so much she loosens the waist band on normal nappies but how do you deal with big poos and getting them off? When I try they flip inside out and smear poo everywhere 🙃
Chia seeds, milled flaxseed and nutritional yeast flakes

Tear them at the sides 😊

With the foods, if possible just leave some skin on to give a bit of grip. You can also cut them with a crinkle cutter which sometimes helps give a bit more grip, and as you say for some things rolling in chia seeds/hemp seeds etc can help as well.
Generally, I think if they can’t yet pick it up then they just can’t yet eat it!
Yeah this too! We left avocado and banana until she could grip it better, basically because I kept forgetting to buy chia seeds 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
duck me I didn’t even think about ripping them 😂 Christ.
The trouble is, I’m finding virtually all fruit too sloppy for her Cus she squeezes it so hard. I’ll have to see about leaving the skin on, otherwise she just won’t be eating any fruit 😂

Reactions: 2

I mash avocado and spread it on toast. Other things I leave a bit of skin on. Or sometimes I stab them onto a baby fork and give them to her like that. There’s apparently a trick to make bananas less slippery by poking them down the middle but I’ve never managed to make it much better.
The nappies should rip at the side seams

The trouble is, I’m finding virtually all fruit too sloppy for her Cus she squeezes it so hard. I’ll have to see about leaving the skin on, otherwise she just won’t be eating any fruit 😂
For the slippy stuff like mango I usually hand it to her to take rather then her chasing it around the tray 😂

Nursery hours are such a nightmare. I’m already feeling guilty that I’ll be signing baby author up for the extra breakfast and teatime slots as otherwise there’s no way I can make it to and from work in time to make collection. From what I can tell as a first timer not yet using it (but signed up to start when I return to work) nothing about nursery childcare seems particularly user friendly - super expensive, inflexibility on drop off and pick up times and the slightest illness they are sent home (although appreciate that it’s important to try and stop bugs spreading on that last one, especially after covid, even if from what I hear the amount of bugs doing the rounds at nurseries/schools is insane even with the send home policy).
Our nursery are actually ok. I pay for 8-5:30 and can drop off or pick up any time in that window. They’ve only ever sent her home once when she fell off the climbing frame and had a head injury. Other than that, I’ve kept her home twice, once with chicken pox and once with D&V. They’ve never sent her home otherwise. I get sent two photos of her each week, and a report of what she’s eaten through the app. Shes 3 so does tell me what she’s been up to as well though. She mostly likes snitching on all the other kids and tells me who got in trouble each day 🙊

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Yeaaaahhhh we have a roller!!!
After being a whingey sod all day he just rolled from back to front for the first time 🥹 I forgive you lil baby 🥹

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I mash avocado and spread it on toast. Other things I leave a bit of skin on. Or sometimes I stab them onto a baby fork and give them to her like that. There’s apparently a trick to make bananas less slippery by poking them down the middle but I’ve never managed to make it much better.
The nappies should rip at the side seams
Yes a banana naturally splits in to 3 pieces, and I would do that quite often for a new eater. Don’t think it makes it much less slippery though, just a better shape.

How old is she? Quartered strawberries and squished blueberries are a fan fav in this house

They get there surprisingly quickly 😊 she has to learn not to squeeze too hard if she wants to eat it, but can’t learn not to squeeze it unless she gets the chance to squeeze it, if that makes sense?!

You can also try patting fruit dry with a paper towel. Removing excess moisture helps with the grippiness

Mr TY has been asked to work in Scotland for 3 weeks 😭
I'm so pissed off, he didn't even try to say no. Yet I ask for a back massage and I get a straight no.
He's not even a knobwaffle at the moment, he's so past the knobwaffle line, the line is a dot to him.
dickheadwafflearseholeidiotman.
I appreciate that reference 🤣

Our nursery are actually ok. I pay for 8-5:30 and can drop off or pick up any time in that window. They’ve only ever sent her home once when she fell off the climbing frame and had a head injury. Other than that, I’ve kept her home twice, once with chicken pox and once with D&V. They’ve never sent her home otherwise. I get sent two photos of her each week, and a report of what she’s eaten through the app. Shes 3 so does tell me what she’s been up to as well though. She mostly likes snitching on all the other kids and tells me who got in trouble each day 🙊
They definitely get sent home less as they get older or at least that’s my experience. Older ones cope with colds etc a lot better and have better immune systems

Random question to those with older babies/children: what age did your little ones’ eyes start changing colour? I find myself analysing baby author’s eyes every day looking for a change totally missing the point that it will probably happen so gradually that I won’t notice 😂 I’m fascinated by it though to see what colour they end up

Random question to those with older babies/children: what age did your little ones’ eyes start changing colour? I find myself analysing baby author’s eyes every day looking for a change totally missing the point that it will probably happen so gradually that I won’t notice 😂 I’m fascinated by it though to see what colour they end up
Never! Mine all have blue eyes and always have.

Tommys started changing around 4-5 months, they still haven’t completely changed though :)

Started changing around 3-4 months and were mostly changed to final colour by about 7-8 months although I think they continued subtly changing for a little bit after this.
Baby's eyes have just started changing in the last 3 or 4 weeks here and it's looking like another hazel eyed baby for me or maybe brown like his daddy!

Baby choked on a bit of brioche today. Mr B was sitting next to him but wasn’t quick enough to get it out. Every time he brought it back up, he’d panic and swallow it again. I’ve never been so frightened in my life
Mr B tried to squeeze it out of him, which nearly crushed his ribs. He’s fine now, but I can’t stop thinking ‘what if’ the most terrifying and longest probably not even 30 seconds of my life 😔

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Baby choked on a bit of brioche today. Mr B was sitting next to him but wasn’t quick enough to get it out. Every time he brought it back up, he’d panic and swallow it again. I’ve never been so frightened in my life
Mr B tried to squeeze it out of him, which nearly crushed his ribs. He’s fine now, but I can’t stop thinking ‘what if’ the most terrifying and longest probably not even 30 seconds of my life 😔
That sounds so scary! Glad he is okay xxx

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.