New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone with older ones, should I get a cot or a cot bed? I’ve no idea what age they grow into a single bed or even if they go straight from cot?
Don’t want to spend extra on a cot bed if they’re crap but don’t want to be buying a new bed solution, mattress, sheets etc every 6 months either.
Any thoughts welcome please.
My almost 4 yr old is still in her cot bed and will be fine in it for at least another year. I won’t be buying her a single bed until her younger sister is ready to move into a bed in about a year or so!

Reactions: 2
Anyone with older ones, should I get a cot or a cot bed? I’ve no idea what age they grow into a single bed or even if they go straight from cot?
Don’t want to spend extra on a cot bed if they’re crap but don’t want to be buying a new bed solution, mattress, sheets etc every 6 months either.
I would go cot bed, I have an inherited cot which is just a. Cot so I went straight to a single bed but if I had the chance to buy a cot it would be a cot bed 🙂

Reactions: 1
I've always put them straight into a single bed. Never bothered with a cot bed

I'd say it's personal preference

oh no! Were you at least flying somewhere nice?
To see my in laws in England 😊 we haven’t been for a year so it’s great to get here.

You’re braver than me! I’m still yet to tackle public transport. I live in London so trains and buses are inevitable but I have such anxiety about bringing a pram and an unpredictable baby on board!
we did plane and 3x trains to get here 😬 BUT, we and the older kids are used to this journey and have been doing it a few times a year since the eldest was born so it's not so bad. Im sure we did look a bit mad though - the kids have scooter suitcases so they are flying along, I’m jogging behind with the baby in the sling, and my husband has the suitcase and car seat at the back 😂 like a circus!
We've only been to central london once with kids, and a sling was definitely the easiest option I found, all the on and off public transport is hard going! We live in the country and this is the only public transport we ever use As we drive everywhere

I never see the point of a cot bed, you have to buy a single bed in the end anyway, so IMO you may as well cut out the middle step of cot bed

Thanks all. I’ll have to go and have a look at sizes and things rather than rely on online.

We spent so little before she arrived with second hand, borrowed, only the strictly necessary etc but coming on 6 months we’re now in the market for a cot, mattress, sheets etc, new car seat, foamy floor rug thing, monitor, maybe a light-weight pram - bloody expensive these babies!!!! 🙈😂

Reactions: 3
Thanks all. I’ll have to go and have a look at sizes and things rather than rely on online.

We spent so little before she arrived with second hand, borrowed, only the strictly necessary etc but coming on 6 months we’re now in the market for a cot, mattress, sheets etc, new car seat, foamy floor rug thing, monitor, maybe a light-weight pram - bloody expensive these babies!!!! 🙈😂
Dont! We’ve just bought another car seat but it’s great and I’m after one of those “foamy floor things” as you call it 😂 totter and tumble do some lovely ones but jeeeeeze they’re pricey

Dont! We’ve just bought another car seat but it’s great and I’m after one of those “foamy floor things” as you call it 😂 totter and tumble do some lovely ones but jeeeeeze they’re pricey
Totter and tumble are so worth the big bucks. Also worth signing up to their newsletter for discount codes. We adore ours!

We also have a totter and tumble mat and love it, it's probably one of our best buys. It looks great too! Comfy for us down on the floor playing with baby as well. We got us a discount code that gave us about £20 off I think. I think they're well worth the money! We went for the compact size one as we are in a flat.

I went for a gus an beau foam matt and wish I went totter and tumble! It’s good but the pattern washed off quick and it’s got so faded quick but does the job.

Tesco currently have some in.
The ones like puzzle pieces. That's where I got mine from years ago and I saw them in the other day..

Argos also have them £8 for the 4 squares but on 2 for 15.

I've always used these, then they're easy to put away because you can take them apart and put them where you like!

Not quite as fancy as the totter and tumble 😂

Attachments

I'd say cotbed as you'll get more use from it! My son always slept in his next2me then we coslept with him until last month lol (he's 2). Anytime I tried him in his cotbed he refused and screamed. We got him a single bed which he loves and has slept in every night. I've kept the cot bed for my daughter tho and I'll be putting her in that when she's grown out her next2me, it's a good size so should last until she's 2/3 maybe!

(eta: my cot has different height settings then converts into a cot bed)

Ok so before our baby was born, my husband travelled very light if we were out for the day.
So now all of a sudden, whenever we go out he puts LOADS of crap in the bottom of the pram. Like seriously, we went out for a walk yesterday baring in mind it’s boiling at the mo and he has the audacity to put a sodding jacket in the pram?!?! Sorry, what?! Am I being stupid for getting wound up at this or pls tell me your partner does the same 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Ok so before our baby was born, my husband travelled very light if we were out for the day.
So now all of a sudden, whenever we go out he puts LOADS of crap in the bottom of the pram. Like seriously, we went out for a walk yesterday baring in mind it’s boiling at the mo and he has the audacity to put a sodding jacket in the pram?!?! Sorry, what?! Am I being stupid for getting wound up at this or pls tell me your partner does the same 😂
Mine’s the same in this bloody heat, obsessed with thinking he’s gonna get cold and packs his whole wardrobe ‘just in case’ when it’s 100 degrees!

• Haha
Can someone tell me if I’m being ridiculous or not please? I’m meant to be going to my mums house today, it’s a 30 min drive, I’ll cool down the car before we get in it, got window shades in the back. Do you think it’ll be ok to do that journey with baby or am I worrying for no reason? The heat has totally freaked me with him. He’s absolutely fine, it’s just me 🙈

Can someone tell me if I’m being ridiculous or not please? I’m meant to be going to my mums house today, it’s a 30 min drive, I’ll cool down the car before we get in it, got window shades in the back. Do you think it’ll be ok to do that journey with baby or am I worrying for no reason? The heat has totally freaked me with him. He’s absolutely fine, it’s just me 🙈
You'll be fine 😊
Totally understandable to worry though 😊
Keep the car cool as you can, and him in minimum clothing and he'll be fine 😊

Even after 3 kids though I'm still like.. Hmmm what should you be wearing 😂

You'll be fine 😊
Totally understandable to worry though 😊
Keep the car cool as you can, and him in minimum clothing and he'll be fine 😊

Honestly I’m like what if my car breaks down, baring in mind my car is like 2 months old hahah.
he’s literally living in vests at the moment, it’s a shame because by the time the weather cools down he will have probably grown out of his other clothes 😆 I knew babies grew quickly but didn’t realise it was quite this fast!

Reactions: 6
I am always saying to my husband “do you think this is ok for him to wear?” And my husband helpfully says "I dunno" every time. I feel like I never know what the right amount of clothes is for the kids 😂

Assuming your car has air con? It’ll probably be the best place for all of you! The air con in my car hasn’t ever worked 😱 and ever summer I say "we HAVE to get it fixed this year” then we never do and I spend all summer worried the kids are melting (and I actually do melt, I do t take heat well!)

Not for him, but if I say "pack the bag" to my husband for a park trip or whatever, he packs about 47 nappies, 900 wipes and enough clothing for a small country. 🙄

Not for him, but if I say "pack the bag" to my husband for a park trip or whatever, he packs about 47 nappies, 900 wipes and enough clothing for a small country. 🙄
My husband hasn’t had the joy of packing a bag yet... I know he’s totally capable but I’d be winding him up saying “have you done this? Have you packed that?” So it’s just better if I do it myself for now 😆

• Haha
My husband hasn’t had the joy of packing a bag yet... I know he’s totally capable but I’d be winding him up saying “have you done this? Have you packed that?” So it’s just better if I do it myself for now 😆
Yes it’s very rare I ask my husband to do it, usually only if I’m trying to do something else. Mostly out bag actually stays packed so he only needs to grab it and add drinks and snacks if we are out a while. Yet still. He fails.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.