New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So we’re going to try swimming for the first time Wednesday! Any tips on what to pack to make life easier?
it’s difficult enough trying to change this little monster as it is now that we’ve learnt how to roll, let alone flapping around like a little fish 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Hi, I'm just popping in from the pregnancy thread. 👋
30 weeks today and I've suddenly realised oh god I have to have this baby soon and started to freak.
Anyway, I came to ask if any of you did any online hypnobirthing courses that you would recommend? Thank you!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
So we’re going to try swimming for the first time Wednesday! Any tips on what to pack to make life easier?
it’s difficult enough trying to change this little monster as it is now that we’ve learnt how to roll, let alone flapping around like a little fish 🤣
I won’t lie - 8 years of parenting and the post swim change is one thing that still stresses me out! How old is baby? When they are old enough to sit up, and snack, it’s a bit easier! Little ones I tend to breastfeed as I dry and change them, which keeps them a bit happier. If you don’t know what the facilities are like take a wee change mat to lie them on on the floor. Take an extra towel, I always double wrap babies as they seem to get cold as soon as they are out.

And don’t worry if they just do this face 😑 all mine have loved baths, splashing and kicking and squealing in delight. Take them swimming and they look like they couldn’t give a toss 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I won’t lie - 8 years of parenting and the post swim change is one thing that still stresses me out! How old is baby? When they are old enough to sit up, and snack, it’s a bit easier! Little ones I tend to breastfeed as I dry and change them, which keeps them a bit happier. If you don’t know what the facilities are like take a wee change mat to lie them on on the floor. Take an extra towel, I always double wrap babies as they seem to get cold as soon as they are out.

And don’t worry if they just do this face 😑 all mine have loved baths, splashing and kicking and squealing in delight. Take them swimming and they look like they couldn’t give a toss 🤣
She’s 5 months! I’m hoping she cracks at least a smile for us 🤣
Thankyou for those tips!

She’s 5 months! I’m hoping she cracks at least a smile for us 🤣
Thankyou for those tips!
I used to wrap my sons towel in a hot water bottle so it was warm around him when we got out. I say used too.... he's 4 and I still do it 🤣

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Hi, I'm just popping in from the pregnancy thread. 👋
30 weeks today and I've suddenly realised oh god I have to have this baby soon and started to freak.
Anyway, I came to ask if any of you did any online hypnobirthing courses that you would recommend? Thank you!
Hello! I’m probably not the best person to ask but felt compelled to reply 😂 I didn’t do hypnobirthing... I had the audio book and a few chapters in I was like “this is not me at all” but it’s totally up to you, if you feel like you would benefit from it I would go for it. I know people who did hypno birthing and ended up needing an emergency c section and said it was a life saver and I also know people who have said it’s a waste of time! See what the others say!

Oh I agree, I had that same question for 3 whole years before I snapped at people. I had the most horrific birth aswell as the gruelling IVF treatment and have had many people say to me ‘when’s the next baby due then?’ Seriously???!!!
If I wasn’t a mother now I’d be giving them a few choice words 🤣
People are weird. I’ve had 2 horrible births and still the midwives joke around about ‘see you next time’. I’m quite blunt now about there not being a next time.
Your son is very lucky to have been so wanted and he will know that from all the wonderful photos etc you’ve kept for him. I have 3 sisters and honestly often wish I were an only child. Not all siblings are well bonded!

I used to wrap my sons towel in a hot water bottle so it was warm around him when we got out. I say used too.... he's 4 and I still do it 🤣
Wow you’re a lovely mum! I make mine lie wrapped in a towel while I get myself dressed. Mum of the year over here 😂😂🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Try using nappy pants when the rolling starts. My two daughters I’ve switched to the pants then at 5 months. I cannot recommend Rascal and Friends nappies enough! They are in Tesco never leaked once.
Xx

• Heart
Try using nappy pants when the rolling starts. My two daughters I’ve switched to the pants then at 5 months. I cannot recommend Rascal and Friends nappies enough! They are in Tesco never leaked once.
Xx
I second this. Best nappies by far!

• Heart
Wow you’re a lovely mum! I make mine lie wrapped in a towel while I get myself dressed. Mum of the year over here 😂😂🤣
Luckily my older two get themselves sorted now, while I change my toddler. I take my swimsuit off before I start so I most,y air dry, which must be some sight for the kids. They’ll be scarred for life 😂 at least you’ve spared yours that horror 😂

• Haha
Luckily my older two get themselves sorted now, while I change my toddler. I take my swimsuit off before I start so I most,y air dry, which must be some sight for the kids. They’ll be scarred for life 😂 at least you’ve spared yours that horror 😂
This is exactly what I do! Take mine off, so I air dry, then dry and dress the toddler, hand over snacks and get myself dressed 😂

• Haha
I’d planned my first night out since having the baby (nothing major, just dinner and a show with my mum and sister!) but I’ve just had a letter through with an appointment for baby’s 8 week jabs on that morning.

What were your babies like after having their jabs? If it’s likely that she’ll still be unsettled that evening then I’ll obviously stay at home with her. She’s exclusively breast fed and uses it as a comfort too, so although daddy is great with her I feel like this could be one of the occasions when she really just needs mum?

I’d planned my first night out since having the baby (nothing major, just dinner and a show with my mum and sister!) but I’ve just had a letter through with an appointment for baby’s 8 week jabs on that morning.

What were your babies like after having their jabs? If it’s likely that she’ll still be unsettled that evening then I’ll obviously stay at home with her. She’s exclusively breast fed and uses it as a comfort too, so although daddy is great with her I feel like this could be one of the occasions when she really just needs mum?
It’s hard to predict as all babies seem to react differently to them. If you give calpol on schedule she might be just fine that evening but you may find she’s unsettled through the night. I’d just go with the flow and be prepared to cancel if she’s really upset late in the day.

Do what you think you’ll feel comfortable with. It’s a very personal decision, and there is no right or wrong.

They do tend to be (in my experience) quite upset about 6hrs after the injections, so as you going in the morning it may well all be past you by tea time!

Think I jinxed my easy great baby in the last thread.

Hoping someone can help. She is 12 weeks and since friday she has started playing up on the bottle, keeps thrusting it out, even though she is hungry, little battling and she would take it but since today she goes absolutely hysterical at the bottle, its like she has forgotten how to latch!? She is hungry as she shows all the cues but just won’t take bottle. Tried different bottles, different flow teats, warm milk, cold milk, everything i could think of.

She’s never had breast so its not like she prefers breast, didn’t go through this with my first.

Anyone have any advice or experienced this?

Hoping to be able to see a health visitor or something but not holding out hope as they are pretty useless.

Surely if its tongue tie or something, we would have had issues before?

Managed to get about 100ml in her after not feeding for 6 hours, worried about her becoming dehydrated now

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Okay I hope this isn’t TMI but I had stitches and just noticed a bit of thread hanging down. Everything has been fine but noticed it was a little sore this evening so went to check. Stitches are almost 2 weeks old and we’ve been discharged by midwife so not sure who to call 😬 anyone had this?

Hoping someone can help. She is 12 weeks and since friday she has started playing up on the bottle, keeps thrusting it out, even though she is hungry, little battling and she would take it but since today she goes absolutely hysterical at the bottle, its like she has forgotten how to latch!? She is hungry as she shows all the cues but just won’t take bottle. Tried different bottles, different flow teats, warm milk, cold milk, everything i could think of.

She’s never had breast so its not like she prefers breast, didn’t go through this with my first.

Hoping to be able to see a health visitor or something but not holding out hope as they are pretty useless.

Managed to get about 100ml in her after not feeding for 6 hours, worried about her becoming dehydrated now
I switched to MAM bottles and dummies and Kendamil milk and it was like I had a different baby 🥰 not sure if you have tried either??

I switched to MAM bottles and dummies and Kendamil milk and it was like I had a different baby 🥰 not sure if you have tried either??
Also my health visitor said to me babys have very hungry days and days which they are as hungry. Like us I have days where I don’t fancy a lot but days I can eat a full share bag of crisps.
Maybe try a small about of cold boiled water 1-2oz if your worried about dehydration but check with GP of health vistor first I’m not qualified just a mum with two daughters 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Okay I hope this isn’t TMI but I had stitches and just noticed a bit of thread hanging down. Everything has been fine but noticed it was a little sore this evening so went to check. Stitches are almost 2 weeks old and we’ve been discharged by midwife so not sure who to call 😬 anyone had this?
Usually you can still ring the midwife until you are 28 days post partum, even after you’ve been discharged. They may say to ring your GP, but no harm giving them a shout.

No advice at all, but sending you some love. It’s horrible when you can’t figure out what’s wrong, and the worry of them not drinking is never good. Hopefully she picks up tomorrow. You could try a few dream feeds?

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.