Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Squiggle

VIP Member
We ended up in a and e over the weekend, baby had a temp and a cough, went onto a nebulizer, was discharged at 5am. At 10am I knew something wasn't right even though he had been discharged 5 hours earlier, back he went and they admitted him straight onto oxygen and a tube for feeding. We are home now but it was so scary. His belly was going up under his ribs as he was breathing.

Please trust your instincts!! Xxx

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Thanks ladies, I think I will go down this route then I feel numb and in shock at the moment and seems like this may help. everything just went drastically wrong so quickly I knew somthing wasn't right I was begging for an emergency c section but they wouldn't listen to me, I was passing out it was so hot in the room and no fans because of covid!! keep it short my little girl got her shoulders stuck, cord wrapped round her neck and had to be resusitated, there was so many people in the room dragging her out of me I just can't believe this happened I feel silly because she's safe and okay now but everytime I think about it I cry 🙈

• Heart

Icbaaaa

VIP Member
Thank you for your reply. When you say admitted do you mean to a mother & baby unit? I’m currently in regular contact with my HV as my baby isn’t putting weight on properly. So will mention to them how I’m feeling and see what they say. I’ve had enough of fighting with my mind every single day. I never get a break!
Yeah, it scared me as I thought I wasn't feeling "that" bad but has made me realise just how ill I must actually be then. Definitely mention to your HV please, and don't suffer alone in silence. Motherhood is a whole other world, I always imaged it to be the perfect lifestyle, at home with the kids and housework all done, dinner cooked, me happy as I could be etc but honestly mine is nothing like that. It takes time, I didn't realise how isolating it actually is. When I first went to the GP about how I was feeling after my son, the Dr told me his wife manages fine herself with 3 kids so surely I could manage with 1 and it's not that hard. I broke down crying and left feeling so helpless. This is probably what's made me be so honest and open with my HV as she's more involved in our lives and has done so much to help me. There's a great charity called PANDAS foundation, they help with perinatal/mh. I've never called them myself but check on fb too for support groups. It's helped me realise I'm not in this alone.
You'll be doing an amazing job, what I've always been told is you need to make sure youre looking after yourself and putting yourself first in circumstances. It's so difficult not getting a break, especially if you're not wanting to let your partner/family know how you're really feeling (I've told my partner because he knew about my PND the last time but never told my family for fear of judgement/they don't really believe in MH/antidepressants). Try even take 30 mins to go for a bubble bath, eat your fave chocolate and read a book/watch a TV show on your phone. Even a walk alone/or with baby in pram and put on a podcast (I've only recently started listening to them and it helps me switch off for a wee bit). I know it's easier said than done, I've been there myself but please note it will get easier when you ask for the help by professionals. It's so scary being so open and vulnerable about your situation but they won't judge you, they just want to help get you feeling better and a healthier kinder mindset to yourself. Also I always felt like I was a bad mum for feeling the way I did, I think that's natural when your minds in overdrive and your battling every day but please don't believe you're a bad mum at all. You'll be doing your absolute best, they'll help with baby's weight too. You've got this ❤❤

• Heart
Just dropping by to say hi now I’ve graduated to this thread (and now have loads of time on my hands trapped under a sleeping baby 🤣). Baby biscuit was born early yesterday morning and we’ve just about survived the first full day at home! Tbh all my pregnancy anxieties have now been transferred to baby ones (typical!) - I’m just staring at her constantly checking she’s still breathing and worrying her skin looks the wrong colour or she’s too hot or making funny noises 😬 I’m hoping this will get easier as we get into the swing of things!

• Heart

Disneylifeonly

VIP Member
Ah the joys of body image issues when being pregnant/after having a baby.
My mum is already having a go about me getting "back on track", I gave birth 9 days ago and she's already talking about exercise, the gym, eating healthy etc.
In all honesty I've barely been able to spend more than 10 minutes eating or cooking since Thomas was born.
I cried a lot during the pregnancy thinking mt partner would leave me after my body changes, and he told me 10000 times I was being silly and honestly I was because he tells me he loves me all the time and is just happy our little boy is here safely.
When it comes to the body image side of things just remember your body is doing something incredible and no matter what it has to do, stretching and growing etc, its all for an amazing reason

• Heart

Hbirdette

VIP Member
Husband has just booked a night away in London in a gorgeous hotel for our anniversary in November and I’m already like 😭😭😭 does this mean I have to leave my baby? He’s booked it on a free cancellation incase I don’t want to at the last minute 🤣

• Heart

Hairraiser

VIP Member
That’s exactly the reason women don’t tell people about it or don’t speak up about how their feeling because they are scared it’ll be dismissed or nobody will listen. It’s heartbreaking to hear 💔 I’ve been struggling to with my mental health from I had my baby nearly 5 months ago, I had a long, difficult labour and a really tough recovery period and finally went to my GP the other day as I’d had enough of it and was finding it hard to function and do day to day basic things and look after my baby. Im on medication now and my HV knows now too and referring me for birth trauma counselling and also going to a private councillor for depression and anxiety. The hardest part was telling people, I hope you get the help you need and keep on at drs etc until they listen to you, you shouldn’t have to keep on at them but sometimes it’s the only way to get anywhere! ❤
Im glad you’ve finally reached out. It takes a really strong person to admit when they’re struggling, I feel better for it already even just telling my husband! I’m still waiting to hear back from the hospital about birth reflections…hopefully I hear back soon cause I’m desperate to know what went wrong

This response fucks me off more than anything!!! I hate how women’s feelings and experiences are totally downplayed. I had the same response from family after my traumatic birth ‘he’s here now and that’s all that matters!’ Yeah it’s great the baby is fine but have a thought for the mother who’s actually going to remember and cope with all of the shit they went through.
Awful isn’t it? You feel more frustrated because your feelings are not valid & that you should miraculously be ok.
the first few weeks after baby was born everyone was so helpful, with the physical stuff, but when I was bawling my eyes out daily & struggling with my hormone changes no one really bothered to ask if I was ok?Once I thought my hormones had balanced out I started to get tearful again, low in mood & felt really worthless! I even started to question wether my son was actually mine, and was I actually pregnant, cause following my dreadful C-section, being put to sleep, I didn’t actually meet him for 2 days as I was so sick after. I keep irrationally thinking that someone has just found him randomly and given him to me and said he’s my son. I even question wether they mixed the wrong eggs & sperm in the lab cause I don’t see any resemblance to myself in him at all…

(Wow, writing that down I feel like I’ve gone abit cookoo, but it’s genuinely how I’ve been thinking recently, it’s so horrible)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8

LilyRose1234

VIP Member
Unsure who coined the phrase “witching hour” - today has been a witching day. Much like “morning” sickness, the name is very misleading 😂

• Haha
  • Heart

Icbaaaa

VIP Member
Thank you for your lovely reply

it’s nice to talk to others who are recently new mums themselves , I don’t ever feel judged here which is lovely 😊
It’s difficult to get my nearest and dearest to understand how I’m feeling, and I get quite upset if someone says something I don’t like.

My husband is really supportive, but I find he doesn’t understand the female mind and our need to nurture and procreate. He says he gets it, but I can tell he’s just as confused as I am 🤣

I’ve tried to reach out to birth reflections at my hospital, to no avail. They only have an answer machine
And I’ve contacted birth trauma association, they are good but again only able to speak to someone via email.
I was told by my GP I must try these before I am referred to further help.
but I think I need that further help sooner rather than later, I feel like I’m fighting everyday with these feelings.
I feel guilty at times also as there are so many I have befriended over Instagram still trying to get their babies, i should be grateful
I'm just catching up on this thread and wanted to reach out to you.
It must be so difficult not getting any help with how your feeling, how old is your little one?
I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere but my HV does the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale check at 6 weeks. I'm not really open with people in my personal life about it, but just wanted to be honest here and say I'm suffering with PND. Its not an easy road to be on, but definitely push for help from your HV. Mine put in an urgent referal and I got contact the same day with a perinatal team who I'm now under their care. Please don't take no for an answer, keep pushing and don't take no for an answer. PND is serious and it angers me how new mums aren't taken seriously about their mental health and feelings. Please reach out anytime you wish and I'll be glad to give you a shoulder to lean on ❤

• Heart

LilyRose1234

VIP Member
I ate my lunch the other day with her asleep on me. Dropped a bit of mayo on her head 😂
Lucked it off. Its all good 😂
If she wants to sleep on me and nowhere else, she'll have to accept it 😂
Hahahaha that’s amazing 😂 on one of his first days back at work, partner came home and changed her and said “oh look she’s got some little freckles at the top of her shoulders”. Had to admit I’d eaten chocolate muffins while feeding her and the crumbs had obviously slipped into the neck of her sleepsuit 😬🤣

• Haha

moimoi

VIP Member
I just poured my heart out to her about my bad pregnancy, my bad birth and how I am now and her reply was ‘but look how amazing he is, here’s here now, safe & sound’
This response fucks me off more than anything!!! I hate how women’s feelings and experiences are totally downplayed. I had the same response from family after my traumatic birth ‘he’s here now and that’s all that matters!’ Yeah it’s great the baby is fine but have a thought for the mother who’s actually going to remember and cope with all of the shit they went through.

• Heart

Definitelyme

VIP Member
It’s so bizarre how interested strangers are in other people’s family planning. I’m quite sure my husband wouldn’t ever have been asked those questions, but I had them all, especially when I only had 1. I even remember the midwife on the ward with no1 saying to me “we’ll see you again in two years, will we?” I had literally popped one out and she was asking when I was having another?!

LilyRose1234

VIP Member
I swear baby girl knows when we need to leave the house - had a nice big feed, changed her into a pretty sleepsuit, she did an explosive poo out the back of the nappy, wee’d everywhere as I changed her, managed to wrestle her into another sleepsuit before she looked me in the eye, opened her mouth and vomited all over herself 😭😂 we are now, unsurprisingly, running late 🙄😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart

Ilando

VIP Member
8 days old and about to have their first bath. It’s like a military operation. Husband has insisted we need we need the heating on while baby is in the bath so I’m currently wondering about the house wearing just my bra and Always pants 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
  • Heart

Hbirdette

VIP Member
Ok so before our baby was born, my husband travelled very light if we were out for the day.
So now all of a sudden, whenever we go out he puts LOADS of crap in the bottom of the pram. Like seriously, we went out for a walk yesterday baring in mind it’s boiling at the mo and he has the audacity to put a sodding jacket in the pram?!?! Sorry, what?! Am I being stupid for getting wound up at this or pls tell me your partner does the same 😂

• Haha

moimoi

VIP Member
Just to jump on to reiterate what @Chickenandgravy said. I'm 6 weeks in and I felt exactly the same as you. And I was sick of people saying 'enjoy your sleep because you won't have jt when baby arrive
People are obsessed with the sleep thing! I was so worried. Even now they’re like ‘I bet you hardly sleep’ but I’ve been getting more sleep with a 3 month old than I ever did when I was pregnant. My lazy boy slept 11pm-6am then 7am-11am today. 😂

• Heart

Definitelyme

VIP Member
Re hair loss: I use the body shop ginger shampoo all the time and I haven’t ever noticed excessive hair loss post partum. I have thick hair and lose loads all the time, definitely not more after having a baby so maybe something in the shampoo working? I dunno!

just back hone after 7.5hrs travel with the 4 kids 😬😬 they were all so good though, and we are home now thank heavens 🙌🏻 They are all full of beans and I’m knackered!