New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m ages away from giving birth but thought I’d hop on this thread to have a little rant. I keep seeing people on Instagram etc saying how difficult it is having a baby, that you don’t realise until they are here how hard it really is etc and it’s really starting to get to me. I know they are just trying to be honest and show the reality of being a parent, I know it won’t be all roses and rainbows but it’s kind of making me dread giving birth! Hope I’m not the only one to ever feel like this and hope I don’t sound awful!😣
It is true you can’t understand what it’s like until you’ve done it. But that is true of the hard parts AND the amazing parts. And the amazing parts outweigh the bad parts 😊 parenting is tough, but when you see the smiles, and hear the laughs, and get those cuddles, it is all so worthwhile.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I mean it is hard work, but there are good and bad days like anything!
I find that someone always has it worse…if you get what I mean 🙄 like top Trumps…

I’m ages away from giving birth but thought I’d hop on this thread to have a little rant. I keep seeing people on Instagram etc saying how difficult it is having a baby, that you don’t realise until they are here how hard it really is etc and it’s really starting to get to me. I know they are just trying to be honest and show the reality of being a parent, I know it won’t be all roses and rainbows but it’s kind of making me dread giving birth! Hope I’m not the only one to ever feel like this and hope I don’t sound awful!😣
It's hard. But i find it's nothing like they make it out to be. On Instagram, it seems to be a competition of who has it worst.
It's difficult at times. But it's so so worth it!
They all say about they don't have time to shower.. Do their hair.. Eat.. Whatever.
I don't know many Mums that haven't been able to do any of that!
I've got 3 and a partner that works nights and I manage just fine!

The best way I get through stuff is literally telling myself "It's okay. This won't last forever" whenever they're not sleeping, going through a stage of crying, anything like that. And it's always got me through.

• Heart
Just to jump on to reiterate what @Chickenandgravy said. I'm 6 weeks in and I felt exactly the same as you. And I was sick of people saying 'enjoy your sleep because you won't have jt when baby arrives'
But honestly,iv found it a wonderful experience. Even on the bad days. Life is different, I won't lie. But it's in a wonderful way, and a more enriched way. Of course it can be tiring and there are days you want more sleep but you get through it hun. Please don't listen to other people when they paint this grim picture. I swear people just like to say it to make new mums have the fear!
Sending you lots of love and please don't worry, there's so much to look forward to xxxx

Reactions: 9
Just to jump on to reiterate what @Chickenandgravy said. I'm 6 weeks in and I felt exactly the same as you. And I was sick of people saying 'enjoy your sleep because you won't have jt when baby arrives'
But honestly,iv found it a wonderful experience. Even on the bad days. Life is different, I won't lie. But it's in a wonderful way, and a more enriched way. Of course it can be tiring and there are days you want more sleep but you get through it hun. Please don't listen to other people when they paint this grim picture. I swear people just like to say it to make new mums have the fear!
Sending you lots of love and please don't worry, there's so much to look forward to xxxx
What a lovely message and exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you ❤

It's hard. But i find it's nothing like they make it out to be. On Instagram, it seems to be a competition of who has it worst.
It's difficult at times. But it's so so worth it!
They all say about they don't have time to shower.. Do their hair.. Eat.. Whatever.
I don't know many Mums that haven't been able to do any of that!
I've got 3 and a partner that works nights and I manage just fine!

The best way I get through stuff is literally telling myself "It's okay. This won't last forever" whenever they're not sleeping, going through a stage of crying, anything like that. And it's always got me through.
The showering thing I’ve never understood! I can be in and out the shower in 3 minutes flat if I’m running late 😂 thank you for responding, it has given me a lot of reassurance!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Just to jump on to reiterate what @Chickenandgravy said. I'm 6 weeks in and I felt exactly the same as you. And I was sick of people saying 'enjoy your sleep because you won't have jt when baby arrive
People are obsessed with the sleep thing! I was so worried. Even now they’re like ‘I bet you hardly sleep’ but I’ve been getting more sleep with a 3 month old than I ever did when I was pregnant. My lazy boy slept 11pm-6am then 7am-11am today. 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Please don’t worry! I felt exactly the same - before baby girl I thought 8 hours sleep was a “bad” night and would take 20 minute showers (my poor water bill 🤣). Since she’s arrived I usually manage chunks of 2-3 hours sleep (sometimes more, sometimes less) and she now (almost 2 months) sleeps 11-9 with 2/3 wakeups varying in length from 5-40 minutes. I have never not managed to shower and my house is always clean(ish). Frankly if these influencers got off Instagram for 5 minutes they might find they have more time! Don’t get me wrong, some days are hard but you just get through it and it won’t last forever and then she’ll do something cute like give me a big smile and I forget that she’s cried all day 🤷🏼‍♀️ For me the key now is to not have any expectations - she’s a young baby, she probably won’t sleep through the night and that’s fine, she’ll cry and thats fine. Just because last night or yesterday was bad, doesn’t mean today will be. You’ll be absolutely fine! 💗

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I totally agree with @WhatABore saying everything is a phase. That can be hard to remember, especially with your first when things do sometimes feel they will last forever, but they don’t. Sadly that’s true of the great stuff too. Like little gummy baby smiles 😩

• Heart
Reactions: 4
My baby started giggling this weekend - first time rofling away in his sleep then the next day while my partner was kissing him (I’m pissed he won that battle 😂) He’s also officially in 3-6 month clothes.

He’s gonna be 18 and heading to uni tomorrow. 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My baby started giggling this weekend - first time rofling away in his sleep then the next day while my partner was kissing him (I’m pissed he won that battle 😂) He’s also officially in 3-6 month clothes.

My daughter is 18 weeks and still isnt laughing much.
She'll do 1 single chuckle and that's it 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
My daughter is 18 weeks and still isnt laughing much.
She'll do 1 single chuckle and that's it 😂
Maybe you lot just aren’t funny 🤣🤣🤣

My wee one laughs at the others getting their teeth brushed. Proper belly laughs, it’s so random! He is a bit like Santa, because when he laughs he has this big chuckle and his belly shakes 🤣

also I thought he was about 20 weeks but I know your LO was born first so I’ve just had to go and count. He’s 18 weeks tomorrow apparently.

• Haha
Reactions: 7

My wee one laughs at the others getting their teeth brushed. Proper belly laughs, it’s so random! He is a bit like Santa, because when he laughs he has this big chuckle and his belly shakes 🤣

also I thought he was about 20 weeks but I know your LO was born first so I’ve just had to go and count. He’s 18 weeks tomorrow apparently.
Haha I lose count. Every time I write on here, I go back to the 6th when she had her jabs because I know she was exactly 16 weeks that day and then count from there 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1

We are decidedly unfunny here. My baby is 29 weeks and really not a laugher. She laughs at being tickled but that’s about it 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 3

Aw how old? My little one randomly lets out an involuntary woody woodpecker sounding giggle which started really early on (like a week old) in her sleep, but also little cries and whimpers. It really freaked me out at first! She's now 8 weeks and has started properly smiling; I can't wait for the first true giggle although at the same time I want her to stop growing up so quickly!!!

• Heart
Oh shoot. Let me see if I can change my settings. Okay try now
It's still not letting me DM you 😭 i contacted my HV and she's gonna pop round tomorrow thankfully so hoping we manage to get it sorted xx

My daughter laughed at 9 weeks, it was just a wee laugh but me and my partner were like OMG DID YOU HEAR HER?! She's now 16wks and never done it since 😩 patiently waiting but praying she does it soon cos it was the cutest ever!!

Last edited:
Aw how old? My little one randomly lets out an involuntary woody woodpecker sounding giggle which started really early on (like a week old) in her sleep, but also little cries and whimpers. It really freaked me out at first! She's now 8 weeks and has started properly smiling; I can't wait for the first true giggle although at the same time I want her to stop growing up so quickly!!!
13 weeks! I may have cried 😂

Aw the first smiles are the best when you know they’re genuine and not wind!!

Did anyone's babies have the 4 month sleep regression? Keep reading on Instagram about it from these sleep consultants and absolutely dreading it. LO is 3 month and sleeps generally well at night at the moment!

It's still not letting me DM you 😭 i contacted my HV and she's gonna pop round tomorrow thankfully so hoping we manage to get it sorted xx
Good luck!!!!! Keep on at them. They won’t prescribe you a CMPA formula without going through the local protocol, which is hydrolysed formula first and then the completely DF formula. If your first child had it, you may be able to skip straight to the neocate/whatever they prescribe in your area. You may already know this if you’ve been there before.

• Heart
Did anyone's babies have the 4 month sleep regression? Keep reading on Instagram about it from these sleep consultants and absolutely dreading it. LO is 3 month and sleeps generally well at night at the moment!
We seemed to have been lucky and haven’t had the 4 month regression so far, nearing 5 months now and we didn’t have the 4 month one with my first either…but we did have 9/10 month one, 12 month and what seemed to be a 16-18 month one 🥴 🥴🥴

Don’t dread it! I don’t believe in sleep regressions really. Yes, babies go through phases where they sleep better, and some where they wake more often, but it never lasts.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.