New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I would second a cranial osteopath. They did wonders for my son. He went from crying every second of the day to only every other second 🙈 but it was a blessed relief and amazing to see the instant change. I’m not usually into holistic type stuff but that worked!

Reactions: 5
Yes we definitely did.. he wasn't a great sleeper but would sleep for 3 hour stretches. About 4.5 months he went to waking literally every 45 mins, we had hourly wakes for about 9 weeks when I finally broke and did some sleep training. He doesn't sleep through the night now ( not sure he ever will, but that wasn't the aim when we did it) but taught him to put himself back to sleep after every sleep cycle, I was desperate for a stretch of sleep that was longer than an hour.

Yes my baby has had it since about 3 weeks old. On omeprazole for it and have been for a while - we are attempting to wean them off it. GPs are very reluctant to prescribe it as it's almost £100 a bottle. It's very common for them to be ok in the night time as their digestive system switches off and then gets going again about 4am.. hence lots of grunting in the night, there's something called the acid dump.
My little one would scream and bring up clear liquid at times, was awful. Huge fight with the GP over it.
Oh wow, that’s really interesting to know about the night time thing. Thank you. Did the Omeprazole get rid of it completely? We have been prescribed infant gaviscon so hoping that helps but a bit worried as a lot of people have told me it causes constipation!

We had a lot of success with gaviscon for silent reflux, a lot of people complain about it when you research online so i was a bit worried, but its like everything you read, people rarely share good experiences.

i know its meant to be an instant relief thing but for us it definitely took a good few days and she was a lot better, and by 14 weeks we stopped it completely and she was fine.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
My health visitor said this too and I thought it was bullshit. Sorry 🙈 I don’t know if it’s your thing but we took my baby to a cranial osteopath for 2 sessions and it made SUCH a difference. I know it’s not for everyone but we literally had a different baby afterwards x

How awful for you 😖 really sorry that you’ve had to relive it all again. Sorry to seem silly but what do you do now? Are you having a debrief or was that what that was?
Well, this was sent to me because I requested the report after the investigation. I’m waiting on a birth reflections appointment next month & will go from there. I actually may have a leg to stand on if I made a complaint about this so want to tread carefully.

• Heart
Well, this was sent to me because I requested the report after the investigation. I’m waiting on a birth reflections appointment next month & will go from there. I actually may have a leg to stand on if I made a complaint about this so want to tread carefully.
Ah I see I wasn’t sure if you got it at the same time as your birth reflections appt. I hope you get the answers you want, can’t imagine how tough it must be to go through it all x

Oh wow, that’s really interesting to know about the night time thing. Thank you. Did the Omeprazole get rid of it completely? We have been prescribed infant gaviscon so hoping that helps but a bit worried as a lot of people have told me it causes constipation!
We had gaviscon first and it didn't help, it just constipated him so we stopped. They will want you to try it for a while before moving you on, which was our experience anyway. Omeprazole definitely helped, the biggest change was when he went onto dairy free formula so we suspect the reflux was actually being caused predominately by an allergy. He is still on omeprazole but a small dose based on his weight, he's been poorly recently and teething so we are waiting to cut the dose completely to see if he can manage without it now. Are you putting the gaviscon in every bottle? We did every other bottle and none at night apart from his 4am bottle.

Babies just have the best timing don't they 🤣🤣

Health visitor was coming in and of course we had to have an explosive, all up the back and hair nappy 🙃 took that nappy off and she peed EVERYWHERE, lifted her out the way of the pee and she was sick all down me 🤣🤣

Ah the joys

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Babies just have the best timing don't they 🤣🤣

Health visitor was coming in and of course we had to have an explosive, all up the back and hair nappy 🙃 took that nappy off and she peed EVERYWHERE, lifted her out the way of the pee and she was sick all down me 🤣🤣

Ah the joys
The full trifecta 🤣🤣🤣

I have a bit of a bum hole baby today. He won’t sleep for more than 30 mins then he’s raging about being so tired 🙄🙄🙄

The full trifecta 🤣🤣🤣

I have a bit of a bum hole baby today. He won’t sleep for more than 30 mins then he’s raging about being so tired 🙄🙄🙄
Oh don’t, I have no idea how to get mine to nap for more than one sleep cycle in the day. The only thing that seems to work is when he sleeps on his tummy on me. Don’t get me wrong, I love it but I can’t do this every single nap time! This is my current set up, ignore my top, I spilt my lunch down it 😂
12B8BFE8-83DC-4F6F-BB49-A0D175F23F28.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Managed to get prescribed some anti inflamatory drugs for my coccyx pain, hoping it'll help 😥
Is it still so bad as it was? Hasn’t eased at all? That’s awful xx

Oh don’t, I have no idea how to get mine to nap for more than one sleep cycle in the day. The only thing that seems to work is when he sleeps on his tummy on me. Don’t get me wrong, I love it but I can’t do this every single nap time! This is my current set up, ignore my top, I spilt my lunch down it 😂
View attachment 730777
We only do naps in the sling (especially atm with the school holidays and all the kids home/we’re out) and he usually sleeps a decent amount of time, but I think today as he is coming to the end of one cycle something has happened that brings him too far out (Mr Tesco man came with the shopping, I’m lifting the toddler in and out of swings etc). Just bad timing 😣….. or so I hope anyway 🤣🤣

View attachment 730777
I ate my lunch the other day with her asleep on me. Dropped a bit of mayo on her head 😂
Lucked it off. Its all good 😂
If she wants to sleep on me and nowhere else, she'll have to accept it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I ate my lunch the other day with her asleep on me. Dropped a bit of mayo on her head 😂
Lmao that’s just reminded me of this.
828F823A-35A7-4B61-8A94-C7098E0BC5CF.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Hahahaha that’s amazing 😂 on one of his first days back at work, partner came home and changed her and said “oh look she’s got some little freckles at the top of her shoulders”. Had to admit I’d eaten chocolate muffins while feeding her and the crumbs had obviously slipped into the neck of her sleepsuit 😬🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Thank you for your replies regarding baby boys gunky eye. I rang 111 who basically said there was nothing they could do. So I rang the GP Monday morning and sent photos. They said it's conjunctivitis and he's been given an ointment. It's clearing up thankfully. However I had the health visitor come today and she left saying he was fine, then left me a voicemail 2 hours later saying she had thought about it and wasn't happy with his jaundice or the fact he hasn't put on weight in 48 hours since last being weighed on Tuesday. So we've been referred back to the midwifes tomorrow for an emergency appointment.

I feel so drained by it all. Each person I've seen has told me different things. I can feel my mood plummeting because it feels relentless. I'm so annoyed because she left our house saying she had no concerns and then suddenly there's an issue that needs escalating 2 hours later.

I'm sorry to come back on the thread to moan, having been absent for a few days but I don't really know what else to do. I need to write it down somewhere and I've chosen here, sorry!

Does anyone have any experience not jaundice? Baby boy is 2 weeks today and I'm too scared to Google... X

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Thank you for your replies regarding baby boys gunky eye. I rang 111 who basically said there was nothing they could do. So I rang the GP Monday morning and sent photos. They said it's conjunctivitis and he's been given an ointment. It's clearing up thankfully. However I had the health visitor come today and she left saying he was fine, then left me a voicemail 2 hours later saying she had thought about it and wasn't happy with his jaundice or the fact he hasn't put on weight in 48 hours since last being weighed on Tuesday. So we've been referred back to the midwifes tomorrow for an emergency appointment.

I feel so drained by it all. Each person I've seen has told me different things. I can feel my mood plummeting because it feels relentless. I'm so annoyed because she left our house saying she had no concerns and then suddenly there's an issue that needs escalating 2 hours later.

I'm sorry to come back on the thread to moan, having been absent for a few days but I don't really know what else to do. I need to write it down somewhere and I've chosen here, sorry!

Does anyone have any experience not jaundice? Baby boy is 2 weeks today and I'm too scared to Google... X
Both have mine have had slight jaundice but not enough to need to go under the lamp. We were just told to keep them under the window as much as possible.
I think if that's needed though, you have to go back and stay for a few days so they can go under the lamp ❤

I don't think there's any other bad things. It's super common
I had it myself as a baby quite bad and was under the lamp for a week.

Don't know if that helps at all, sorry ❤

Reactions: 1

It’s better that she came back to you if she had niggling worries, but why did she leave in the first place? 👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻
All mine have had slight jaundice to approx 3 weeks. My latest was referred for phototherapy but I felt it was cleared enough before the appointment (an “emergency” appointment 5 days later…) so we cancelled. My nephew was premature and had bad jaundice, he had a few days of phototherapy (is that what it’s called? Under UV lights) and he was fine.

If you are breastfeeding keep him on the boob as much as you can. It takes longer to clear in bf babies (apparently). And let him sunbathe with just a nappy on by a window

Reactions: 3
Thanks ladies, I'm really praying we won't need another hospital stay. We stayed in after he was born for 4 days and he was on the light box for 2 of those. But we were discharged and told it would shift. The health visitor today said if he still had it at 3 weeks it becomes a problem, but didn't explain further and said she didn't envision him being in that position next week. However now maybe she does, who knows.

Yes @Definitelyme she mentioned about breast fed babies having it for longer and the best way to get rid is to feed him every 3 hours. I'm expressing as was told to give him formula in the hospital when he was on the light box so he got used to the easy bottle and used my nipple as a dummy, the midwifes seemed quite dismissive when I asked for help, but that's a whole other conversation!!!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 4

We’ve had similar. Midwife discharged us from her care last Monday. Health visitor came two days later and said that she’d prefer if baby had his jaundice checked at the hospital. I queried why the midwife didn’t seem concerned and she just said that different people have their own interpretation of things…

We then spent 5 hours on a children’s ward to be finally told that his jaundice was in fact very mild and didn’t need any treatment. Obviously I was relieved and would rather be safe than sorry but I’m already sick of being caught between the views of different medical professionals!

• Sad
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.