Names You Can't Stand #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone I know has just named her daughter Celeste. Disgusting name. Sounds like incest and lechery. Her other kid is named Clementine, which is also repulsive. “Clemmy” sounds like slang for a sexually transmitted infection.
yeah, i hate that Clemmie/Clemmy has become so popular, when to me, it just makes me think of the word clammy - like clammy and sweaty and gross. urgh.

Reactions: 11
I can’t stand : Bear
Wolf
Sparrow
Robin.
I love the creatures, however.
Humans should not be stealing their names, imo.
obvs we all have our own personal opinions, but it's interesting in terms of general society which animal names are deemed appropriate to name a child - Bear, Fox, Wolf, Lark, Sparrow, Fawn, Bunny, Wren, Finch, Hawk, Raven etc- yet others would be perceived as totally ridiculous.

like, i can't it ever being socially acceptable to name a child Zebra, Giraffe, Rabbit, Crow, Squirrel, Parrot or Badger - but then again, who knows which animals children will be named after in the future. i wouldn't have predicted that Otter would be perceived as a name suitable for a baby, but i imagine there will be countless little girls named Otter, with parents being inspired by Zooey Deschanel. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha
obvs we all have our own personal opinions, but it's interesting in terms of general society which animal names are deemed appropriate to name a child - Bear, Fox, Wolf, Lark, Sparrow, Fawn, Bunny, Wren, Finch, Hawk, Raven etc- yet others would be perceived as totally ridiculous.

like, i can't it ever being socially acceptable to name a child Zebra, Giraffe, Rabbit, Crow, Squirrel, Parrot or Badger - but then again, who knows which animals children will be named after in the future. i wouldn't have predicted that Otter would be perceived as a name suitable for a baby, but i imagine there will be countless little girls named Otter, with parents being inspired by Zooey Deschanel. 🤷🏻‍♂️
There's a show I watch where every character's name is colour themed. They have a set of twins called Raven and Crow - but it's spelt as 'Qrow' to jazz it up a bit because even they know just Crow seems daft 😂

But yeah, it's an interesting point. There is a fine line between 'acceptable animal name' (where it's usually either something delicate or powerful) vs names you'd only get as a silly nickname (e.g. Badger, Monkey, Mouse, Frog). It seems to be all about the connotations and personalities we project onto animals.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
There's a show I watch where every character's name is colour themed. They have a set of twins called Raven and Crow - but it's spelt as 'Qrow' to jazz it up a bit because even they know just Crow seems daft 😂

But yeah, it's an interesting point. There is a fine line between 'acceptable animal name' (where it's usually either something delicate or powerful) vs names you'd only get as a silly nickname (e.g. Badger, Monkey, Mouse, Frog). It seems to be all about the connotations and personalities we project onto animals.
Qrow! 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣

but yeah, i totally see the pattern of animal names generally relating to animals associated with power and strength - Tiger, Bear, Wolfe etc - or relating to delicate/fragile/more animals - Fawn, Wren, Dove etc - although don't even get me started on Bunny and Kitty. 🤢 but equally, other strong, fierce animals wouldn't be perceived as acceptable names - like actually naming a kid Lion - as opposed to Leo - or Gorilla, Cheetah, Hippo or whatever, although i can totally see Jaguar catching on! 🤦🏻‍♀️

tbh, it's Sparrow that's a weird one for me. i totally get that people have started using it because it's a celeb baby name, used by Nicole Ritchie, but it's definitely a name more common for boys, and seems to have become fairly socially acceptable - yet it seems like such a frail, weak little bird to name your kid after - unless it is associated more with a sparrow hawk then a little sparrow. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ahaa, i would genuinely love to see a celeb name their child after a totally random animal, like Frog or Pangolin or Axolotl, and watch it become super popular! like i said before, Otter is a totally random one, yet it has a similar sound to Ottilie, which has become fairly popular, so it doesn't surprise me that it has caught on, as a YoUnEeK variation! 🤣

Reactions: 4
Qrow! 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣

but yeah, i totally see the pattern of animal names generally relating to animals associated with power and strength - Tiger, Bear, Wolfe etc - or relating to delicate/fragile/more animals - Fawn, Wren, Dove etc - although don't even get me started on Bunny and Kitty. 🤢 but equally, other strong, fierce animals wouldn't be perceived as acceptable names - like actually naming a kid Lion - as opposed to Leo - or Gorilla, Cheetah, Hippo or whatever, although i can totally see Jaguar catching on! 🤦🏻‍♀️

tbh, it's Sparrow that's a weird one for me. i totally get that people have started using it because it's a celeb baby name, used by Nicole Ritchie, but it's definitely a name more common for boys, and seems to have become fairly socially acceptable - yet it seems like such a frail, weak little bird to name your kid after - unless it is associated more with a sparrow hawk then a little sparrow. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ahaa, i would genuinely love to see a celeb name their child after a totally random animal, like Frog or Pangolin or Axolotl, and watch it become super popular! like i said before, Otter is a totally random one, yet it has a similar sound to Ottilie, which has become fairly popular, so it doesn't surprise me that it has caught on, as a YoUnEeK variation! 🤣
I wonder if it's because the name Sparrow itself sounds 'strong' because it has 'arrow' in it maybe? 🤔

Anyone remember Chelsy Davy, Prince Harry’s ex bird? I can’t stand that name. So chavvy for a posh lass.

• Haha
Hunter. Should have stayed with the Gladiators.
Hunter is a dreadful name. I picture a Neanderthal in a bear-skin toga carrying a spear.

A woman I follow on Instagram has a son named Hunter, and he really doesn’t live up to the name. He’s very small and thin and hates being outside.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
or Gorilla, Cheetah, Hippo or whatever
The thought of a child named Gorilla or Hippo is too funny. 😭 😂 😂 I bet it's a while before any of those catch on. Can't picture 'Warthog' or 'Blobfish' becoming popular any time soon, but you never know, I wouldn't put it past Elon Musk.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I saw a bad one recently.

Cutter.

Why would you call your child a word that means someone who self harms??

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.