Names You Can't Stand #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
and it was today i learned that Ermengarde is an actual name! a name that is WAY too similar to Ermahgerd! 🤣
Its a very old European name - Middle Ages I think :)

On Facebook, I saw a link to a piece about the most popular boys’ names in France. Top of the list was Colin! The rest of them were equally terrible: Elio, Samson, George, Eugène…
You'd wonder why Les Francaises would chose Colin because everybody knows Colin is a seafish, ie Pollack :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 2
literally just coming home from scotland and can confirm that isla sounds better there - the accent makes the “eye” at the beginning much prettier. i’ll allow it 😉😉
Agreed, perhaps controversial but Irish and Scottish names are far prettier in terms of pronunciation when used by said people.

Reactions: 7
Agreed, perhaps controversial but Irish and Scottish names are far prettier in terms of pronunciation when used by said people.
Saw a big argument on tiktok about an american lady who has an irish name but says it wrong and other americans were arguing that since its her name she can say it how she wants. Obviously since her parents named her they obviously say it wrong. But it just baffles me that people name their children names from a different language and culture and then not bother their backsides to learn how to properly say it.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 5
Saw a big argument on tiktok about an american lady who has an irish name but says it wrong and other americans were arguing that since its her name she can say it how she wants. Obviously since her parents named her they obviously say it wrong. But it just baffles me that people name their children names from a different language and culture and then not bother their backsides to learn how to properly say it.

Thoughts?
i’ve mentioned it before in this thread but while on holiday in chicago with my family we had an american waitress called sian. being welsh, we were excited to see this and she talked for ages about her welsh heritage etc etc. she then said that it’s tricky because no one ever pronounces her name right and proceeded to say it as it’s spelt: see-ann. which, obviously, is wrong. very awkward moment while my family and i tried to judge whether or not to correct her 🤣

we didn’t in the end, but you’re right that it’s strange thing to pick a name and then pronounce it your way. it’s like being named louis and going by lewis. while in boston i met an american aoife who pronounced it as spelt too.

sadly i think it’s rife in the us because they’re very interested in their heritage and being from elsewhere (mainly ireland) and so name their kids traditional names without really looking into how to say them. i feel like it’s insulting to the origin of the name itself.

i say this as someone with a ridiculous french name! my parents have always made the effort to pronounce it right though and always told me to correct people who said it differently.

Reactions: 4
How does that sound? aye-oye-iff-ee?
she said it as (trying my best to do this phonetically 🤣): ay-oh-fee.

i remember looking at her and thinking now i KNOW that isn’t right but not really having the energy to say so. i always wonder if she ever went to ireland though!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
i’ve mentioned it before in this thread but while on holiday in chicago with my family we had an american waitress called sian. being welsh, we were excited to see this and she talked for ages about her welsh heritage etc etc. she then said that it’s tricky because no one ever pronounces her name right and proceeded to say it as it’s spelt: see-ann. which, obviously, is wrong. very awkward moment while my family and i tried to judge whether or not to correct her 🤣

we didn’t in the end, but you’re right that it’s strange thing to pick a name and then pronounce it your way. it’s like being named louis and going by lewis. while in boston i met an american aoife who pronounced it as spelt too.

sadly i think it’s rife in the us because they’re very interested in their heritage and being from elsewhere (mainly ireland) and so name their kids traditional names without really looking into how to say them. i feel like it’s insulting to the origin of the name itself.

i say this as someone with a ridiculous french name! my parents have always made the effort to pronounce it right though and always told me to correct people who said it differently.
I knew a Louis who pronounced it Lewis. It really used to irritate me.

I know a Caroline who insisted her name was pronounced Caro Lynne not Caro line

Her daughter was called Candice and said it was Can Diss not Can Deece

So mispronounciation must run in the family

• Haha
Reactions: 13
it drives me mad and i always forget how much it irritates me until i encounter a “louis” in the wild, when it takes all of my self resolve not to go: well why didn’t your parents just name you LEWIS if they wanted to call you LEWIS?!?!?

(thank you for letting me get this out of my system 🤣)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Ermengarde was also Sara Crewe’s best friend from the book and movie “A little princess”.

Reactions: 3
Geographic names like
Brixton- Ever been? It’s a tit hole!
Bexley- Again London borough on the edge, shithole
Preston- it’s dull
Kent- was lovely years ago, hit and miss
Harlow- 60’s chic town
Camden- peaked in the 90’s/00’s. Markets crap now.

Reactions: 6
Geographic names like
Preston- it’s dull
Harlow- 60’s chic town
i can’t lie - i really like the name harlow 🫣 i would never think of it as a geographic name though, i always associate it with jean harlow. the more you know!

i just today learnt that jimmy carr’s son is named rockefeller, which is truly truly awful.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Geographic names like
Preston- it’s dull
Harlow- 60’s chic town
I know someone who named their kid Geneva because that was where they were conceived.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad name but imagine the kid when the parents explained where their name came from.

Fortunately my name is not alleyway or "behind the bins".

• Haha
i can’t lie - i really like the name harlow 🫣 i would never think of it as a geographic name though, i always associate it with jean harlow. the more you know!

i just today learnt that jimmy carr’s son is named rockefeller, which is truly truly awful.
Its a place I know so I do associate it, same with Bexley although many wouldnt.

Brixton I dont understand as I think of the riots, maybe thats my age talking.

Reactions: 1

I've got One Of The Irish Ones. I gave up correcting it years ago even though its pronounced phonetically so it ought to be easy - I even had a teacher telling me that my first name, the second and surname were all pronounced wrongly according to Her, the silly old bat!

Being here in France though strangely enough my weirdo name does not cause the hassles and odd looks it always got in UK :)

Geographic names like
Preston- it’s dull
Harlow- 60’s chic town
I'm just thinking that perhaps someone will name their child Biggleswade one day or what about Pratts Bottom? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
I know someone who named their kid Geneva because that was where they were conceived.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad name but imagine the kid when the parents explained where their name came from.

Fortunately my name is not alleyway or "behind the bins".
I've heard of a few celebs who have named their baby after where they were conceived - like Ed Sheeran naming his daughter Lyla Antarctica - which is where he was located nine months prior to her birth - Paris Jackson was apparently conceived in Paris, and the movie director Rod Howard chose all his kid's middle names based on where they were conceived - Dallas, Carlyle and Cross with Carlyle being the name of a hotel, and Cross the name of the street they lived on! 🤦🏻‍♀️

it's definitely a weird naming trend, and for the sake of children everywhere, one i'm glad hasn't really caught on! 🤣

I've heard of a few celebs who have named their baby after where they were conceived - like Ed Sheeran naming his daughter Lyla Antarctica - which is where he was located nine months prior to her birth - Paris Jackson was apparently conceived in Paris, and the movie director Rod Howard chose all his kid's middle names based on where they were conceived - Dallas, Carlyle and Cross with Carlyle being the name of a hotel, and Cross the name of the street they lived on! 🤦🏻‍♀️

it's definitely a weird naming trend, and for the sake of children everywhere, one i'm glad hasn't really caught on! 🤣
I know of a Havana, named after the place she was conceived. I actually think Havana is one of the better ones.

Speaking of Irish names, there was a whole Instagram account dedicated to Irish names on Starbucks cups. I think 'Aine' was spelled 'Onion'. I've always liked Sadhbh, but imagine it's a nightmare to have that name outside of Ireland!

1655642944518.png

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.