Mumsnet #7 Tinkly little laugh

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've decided that I'm not taking any tit from the rude witches on AIBU. Wonder how much longer my account will last?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
She can’t have had the flu if she managed to get out of bed and cook a meal. More like a bad cold. So yeah, sounds like a martyr!😂
Who’d even want to eat a Christmas dinner that had been coughed and sneezed all over?? Dinner’s ready guys - turkey and all the trimmings with an extra side of phlegm x

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
I may be the one completely out of sync here, but does anyone else find a complete over-egging of the effect of lockdowns on people on mumsnet? There’s a massive thread about the effects on children and so many people saying their children (who were babies in the pandemic) have speech and language issues, that they themselves are traumatised, that their children are irreparably damaged…

I accept I may well be biased as I lost a parent to Covid in lockdown 1, and wish we had gone harder faster so they wouldn’t have caught it. But all of this hand wringing over how horrendous the trauma of lockdown was and how they’ll never get over it seems ridiculous. Yes it was tough, but the way it gets talked about on mumsnet feels very overblown. I work with kids and it’s true there are learning gaps, and some year groups are noticeably less mature than they otherwise would have been, but most kids seem fairly normal. We’ve hardly got cohorts of kids sat at home rocking with parents needing therapy because they had to stay at home for a few months. It’s like competitive lockdown trauma comes out to play on those threads.

None of this is to say that there aren’t people with genuine trauma coming out of the lockdowns, and I don’t mean to minimise those experiences. I just find mumsnet’s response to discussions about it utterly over the top.

Edited to add an example of what I mean - someone’s replied to a post describing how hard it was to not be able to see family over those months with “reading that actually made my throat burn a bit”. Like what?! It made your throat burn? Are you serious? Also, what do you even mean? It burnt because you were a bit sick in your mouth? Or it burnt like it was on fire? It makes no sense and it’s so hyperbolic!

Apologies for the lengthy rant there. Really not my intention to offend anyone, so I hope it doesn’t diminish anyone’s actual struggles during that time.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
I may be the one completely out of sync here, but does anyone else find a complete over-egging of the effect of lockdowns on people on mumsnet? There’s a massive thread about the effects on children and so many people saying their children (who were babies in the pandemic) have speech and language issues, that they themselves are traumatised, that their children are irreparably damaged…

I accept I may well be biased as I lost a parent to Covid in lockdown 1, and wish we had gone harder faster so they wouldn’t have caught it. But all of this hand wringing over how horrendous the trauma of lockdown was and how they’ll never get over it seems ridiculous. Yes it was tough, but the way it gets talked about on mumsnet feels very overblown. I work with kids and it’s true there are learning gaps, and some year groups are noticeably less mature than they otherwise would have been, but most kids seem fairly normal. We’ve hardly got cohorts of kids sat at home rocking with parents needing therapy because they had to stay at home for a few months. It’s like competitive lockdown trauma comes out to play on those threads.
Speaking as a mother of a speech-delayed autistic child, I don't even understand why Covid is being blamed for speech delays. Babies and toddlers learn to talk at home, right? By being spoken to throughout the day by parents and caregivers? So why should being at home during lockdown be a cause of speech delay, as long as their parents didn't neglect them?

By all means blame neglectful, crappy parenting for speech delays (I have no doubt this is the case sometimes) but I genuinely can't see how anyone can blame lockdowns.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
@Et0n-Mess - excellent rant! 😁

'Edited to add an example of what I mean - someone’s replied to a post describing how hard it was to not be able to see family over those months with “reading that actually made my throat burn a bit”. Like what?! It made your throat burn? Are you serious? Also, what do you even mean? It burnt because you were a bit sick in your mouth? Or it burnt like it was on fire? It makes no sense and it’s so hyperbolic!'

I lold at this 😁. Their reactions are always ridiculous on there. 'I'm crying OP, no wait, I'm sobbing and shaking. I haven't stopped thinking about you' and inevitably when yet another troll is found out 'ooh I was so invested in that thread. I spent hours writing my reply'.

And worst of all howling. They are always howling at the most unfunny rubbish like deliberate oops I mean accidental typos. Boil in the vag - 'ooh I'm howling, funniest thing I ever read.'

Get A Life if that's the funniest thing you ever read!

Reactions: 13
This is my take on the howling, sobbing, shaking posters. They are lonely. They lack normal social interaction. A lot of them seem to be stay at home mums, so they have limited contact with other human beings. They've stopped understanding the usual reaction to something a little bit funny is a wry smile, to something a little bit sad is a sigh, maybe a shrug. They mimic other posters and their overblown reactions, and feel part of the community.

As for the 'I never sit down' gang - how come they are some of the most prolific posters on Mumsnet? Have they learnt to type on their phones with one hand, whilst bleaching the skirting boards with the other? I bet my (not 6 figure) salary that most of the busy busy busy lot are slumped on the sofa, idly working their way through a party bag of M&Ms. whilst they scroll through Mumsnet looking for a thread to post on.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I am on the 'duck autism' thread at the moment as I totally get why the OP has lost her rag with parenting an ASD child. There are a couple of bellends moaning about it and trying to get it deleted. FFS.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I am on the 'duck autism' thread at the moment as I totally get why the OP has lost her rag with parenting an ASD child. There are a couple of bellends moaning about it and trying to get it deleted. FFS.
That was reported to the nights watch last night. Completely out of order, the OP is clearly struggling

Reactions: 5
I’ve never got the “sobbing and shaking” thing either…

Are they actually sitting there physically shaking? Because they’re a bit upset?

do people really shake?

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I shake when I’m cold. My husband shakes when his blood sugar is in his boots. Neither of us shake when we’re upset.

I suspect Mumsnet shakers don’t really shake physically, nor do they howl with laughter, or sob quite as much as they claim to.

Reactions: 7
This is my take on the howling, sobbing, shaking posters. They are lonely. They lack normal social interaction. A lot of them seem to be stay at home mums, so they have limited contact with other human beings. They've stopped understanding the usual reaction to something a little bit funny is a wry smile, to something a little bit sad is a sigh, maybe a shrug. They mimic other posters and their overblown reactions, and feel part of the community.

As for the 'I never sit down' gang - how come they are some of the most prolific posters on Mumsnet? Have they learnt to type on their phones with one hand, whilst bleaching the skirting boards with the other? I bet my (not 6 figure) salary that most of the busy busy busy lot are slumped on the sofa, idly working their way through a party bag of M&Ms. whilst they scroll through Mumsnet looking for a thread to post on.
BIB - I think that's why so many type things like DDog and DCat and DGuinea Pig too. It's like a way of fitting in, even when it makes absolutely zero sense.

The day I read Duncle on there, I shook and sobbed for hours. Not really 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I’ve never got the “sobbing and shaking” thing either…

Are they actually sitting there physically shaking? Because they’re a bit upset?

do people really shake?
They are the most dramatic bunch I’ve ever came across. I read a post where a woman said her blood ran cold when MIL had the cheek to ask if SIL could join for Christmas 😂😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
They are the most dramatic bunch I’ve ever came across. I read a post where a woman said her [COLOR=%s] blood ran cold [/COLOR] when MIL had the cheek to ask if SIL could join for Christmas 😂😂
I love it! I can't for the life of me remember what the thread was about, but someone said their 'jaw hit the floor'. I was glad though that they didn't say 'literally' 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Has anyone seen the AIBU post about the girl who was sent the wrong (more expensive) shoes? A legit question of what she should do because they’re lovely shoes.

So many responses saying she’s a thief

Attachments

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
What does anyone think of that 'Accused of posting on someone else's LinkedIn' thread? All sounds a bit weird to me...

Reactions: 2
Has anyone seen the AIBU post about the girl who was sent the wrong (more expensive) shoes? A legit question of what she should do because they’re lovely shoes.

So many responses saying she’s a thief
Customer service has legit gone to pot since covid and most companies don’t give a shiny shite. I’ve had the wrong item sent before and they couldn’t have given less of a tit if they tried. I can’t stand the holier than thou crowd that come out on threads like that. I say keep the fuckers.

Reactions: 12
It's not you! There was also something about babies being traumatised by everyone wearing masks and not being able to see facial expressions. I remember one poster even saying that a longterm lockdown will cause the human race to die out.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.