Mumsnet #7 Tinkly little laugh

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to know an older couple where the wife did everything for her Husband and adult son who still lived at home. This increased when the husband had a spell of illness . She told me once how poorly she’d been over Christmas with the flu but had got out of bed to make Christmas dinner for the husband & son before going back to bed because she felt so unwell. I couldn’t believe that they were so selfish they let her do that
I can't bear martyrdom.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I can't bear martyrdom.
Me neither. The son and husband may well have offered to cook dinner but she would have dragged herself out of bed with much sighing, and made a point of clattering around the kitchen, making sure they knew how ill she was, yet how stoic, making her menfolk Christmas dinner. 🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: 11
Me neither. The son and husband may well have offered to cook dinner but she would have dragged herself out of bed with much sighing, and made a point of clattering around the kitchen, making sure they knew how ill she was, yet how stoic, making her menfolk Christmas dinner. 🙄🙄🙄
From what I knew of the husband & son I don’t think they would have offered , some weird dynamics there

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Although...

I shared a house with a guy whose mother was like that.

She never stopped from the moment she got out of bed until she fell back into it exhausted.

Her son told me that there were times the rest of the family went on holiday without her as she had "too much to do."

And, when she hit retirement age and her place of work said "Thanks for everything, bye now" she offered to come in and work for free.

The family tried to get her to channel her energy in to voluntary work but she refused and just cleaned the house from top to bottom every single day instead.

However, I'm with you and think the competitive "Busiest Ever!" types on MN are all bullshitters.
My colleague is like that, she spends all day cleaning her house, and when she goes away with her family, she'll moan about how "filthy" the caravan/chalet/hotel room was, and how she had to clean it "from top to bottom"...every single time. 🥴

We were all talking one day about how it's difficult to have a lie-in at the weekend when you automatically wake up at (say) 6.30am, as you do every morning for work. My colleague said that she gets up and cleans her skirting boards every Saturday morning. The rest of us just fell about laughing, I only clean my skirting boards if I'm about to paint them, or if I'm planning on selling my house! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 21
My colleague is like that, she spends all day cleaning her house, and when she goes away with her family, she'll moan about how "filthy" the caravan/chalet/hotel room was, and how she had to clean it "from top to bottom"...every single time. 🥴

We were all talking one day about how it's difficult to have a lie-in at the weekend when you automatically wake up at (say) 6.30am, as you do every morning for work. My colleague said that she gets up and cleans her skirting boards every Saturday morning. The rest of us just fell about laughing, I only clean my skirting boards if I'm about to paint them, or if I'm planning on selling my house! 🤣
Hand on heart, I have lived in my current house for 6 years and have NEVER cleaned the skirting boards. I actually feel uncomfortable in pristine, immaculate houses. My house isn't a shithole, but it's comfortable and clean, and I don't think my friends are nervous about using the bathroom in case they leave watermarks in the washbasin, or making themselves a brew without sterilising the kettle afterwards.

I'm not surprised a lot of Mumsnetters struggle with social interactions. Don't put your mug down there! Please don't touch the banister rail going upstairs! Don't use the expensive soap to wash your hands or the fluffy guest towels to dry them on! Don't sit on the cushions, you'll squash them etc etc etc

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Hand on heart, I have lived in my current house for 6 years and have NEVER cleaned the skirting boards. I actually feel uncomfortable in pristine, immaculate houses. My house isn't a shithole, but it's comfortable and clean, and I don't think my friends are nervous about using the bathroom in case they leave watermarks in the washbasin, or making themselves a brew without sterilising the kettle afterwards.

I'm not surprised a lot of Mumsnetters struggle with social interactions. Don't put your mug down there! Please don't touch the banister rail going upstairs! Don't use the expensive soap to wash your hands or the fluffy guest towels to dry them on! Don't sit on the cushions, you'll squash them etc etc etc
This 100x. The only one of my friends houses I don’t feel comfortable in is the cleaning obsessed couple. They Hoover lines in to their rugs snd carpets and can’t bear if you mess up the lines, you can’t put a cup down, can’t lean against the cushions and they’re pretty much washing up your plate and glass while you’re still finishing dinner. I’m actually scared of making a mess in their house. Yet they come to mine and it’s feet on the sofa, cup left on the table when they leave, plate on the side rather than the sink. I don’t mind because I don’t obsess about keeping the house like a showroom.. but if they wanna be so clean at home they are more than welcome to extend that to my house 🤣 I’ll even get them a new sponge for the washing up 🤣

I’ve only cleaned my skirting boards once but I was stress cleaning at 4am and every inch of my house got cleaned that night. I give them a once over with the Hoover occasionally and that’s more than enough.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
I cannot stand people like this irl. ‘Oh I always need to be on the go, I literally can’t sit down for more than 2 minutes!’. Absolutely bleeping draining to be around.
I have a sibling a bit like that. Everyone does their bit when we all get together at Christmas or whatever. But she will be the one taking out the vacuum cleaner at all hours, or starting to prepare next day's dinner when everyone else just wants to sit and chat for a while. I think part of it is because she has no other topic of conversation except her work.

I was tempted to order a McD's breakfast this morning but left it slightly too late, darn it. 😁

Reactions: 8
Currently a competitive not sitting down thread on the go i.e to get all your jobs done, don’t sit down from the minute you wake up til you go to bed.

Actual quotes:
‘Yeah I don’t really sit down. I remember in the first lockdown, sitting on the sofa in the middle of the day, and thinking …what is this??’

and

‘I rarely sit down!’
I don’t really sit down….I lay down. Much comfier, especially with a big thick throw or even my duvet if I’m feeling decadent 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I had a friend who was a clean freak. She had a new kitchen put in but refused to cook in it in case she messed up the kitchen. She got up before her man and thoroughly cleaned the house before he woke up at weekends. The house was like a show home at all times.

When the pair of them were between houses they stayed in my husband’s flat, rent free, for a few months. I thought, great , they’ll leave it like a new pin. Nope!!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I had a friend on FB who would go on and on about how busy she was all the time. She’d literally list everything she had done and was going to do most days. It was exhausting.

Then her two kids were diagnosed with ADHD and I thought aha! That explains everything.

Reactions: 9
I had a friend who was a clean freak. She had a new kitchen put in but refused to cook in it in case she messed up the kitchen. She got up before her man and thoroughly cleaned the house before he woke up at weekends. The house was like a show home at all times.

When the pair of them were between houses they stayed in my husband’s flat, rent free, for a few months. I thought, great , they’ll leave it like a new pin. Nope!!
It's a bit like when you see people with really sloppy, dirty habits at work when it comes to use of communal areas or leaving dirty cups stagnating on their desks. Or stuffing things into an already overflowing bin.

I always think - I bet they wouldn't dream of doing that at home.

Thread about someone booked in for a gastric bypass/sleeve at an utterly obese….

14st 🙊🙊

this is the second mumsnetter I’ve seen who’s opted for surgery at a not- terrible weight- the other one was only a couple of stone overweight iirc.

horrifying that surgeons will even do it…

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
Thread about someone booked in for a gastric bypass/sleeve at an utterly obese….

14st 🙊🙊

this is the second mumsnetter I’ve seen who’s opted for surgery at a not- terrible weight- the other one was only a couple of stone overweight iirc.

Are they going to Turkey (or some other country who will accept basically any patient as long as they’re willing to pay) by any chance?

It’s so unethical.

I used to work with someone who cleaned her entire house, top to bottom, every single night after work. There were only two of them with no pets or children.

One day we were talking about the previous evening, been to pub with hubby, watched TV show etc - she'd spent the evening cleaning all her cupboards out 😳.

• Wow

14st 🙊🙊

If they can pay, someone somewhere will do it. A friend of mine at 16 stone went to Romania and paid 6k for a gastric sleeve. She dropped to 9 stone in a year, then spent a year slowly putting all the weight back on. You can still eat little and often and very high calorie foods with a reduced stomach, appararently.

I think gastric surgery should be an absolute last resort. A lot of very big people have eating disorders, and surgery isn't going to address that.

Reactions: 15
I used to work with someone who cleaned her entire house, top to bottom, every single night after work. There were only two of them with no pets or children.

One day we were talking about the previous evening, been to pub with hubby, watched TV show etc - she'd spent the evening cleaning all her cupboards out 😳.
I have a friend like that. Just the two of them in the house.
Not a speck of dust ever or a thing out of place.
She washes perfectly clean floors. Daily.

I could do with some of her cleaning habits and she could do with some of my sitting around habits 😁

It's a bit like when you see people with really sloppy, dirty habits at work when it comes to use of communal areas or leaving dirty cups stagnating on their desks. Or stuffing things into an already overflowing bin.

I always think - I bet they wouldn't dream of doing that at home.
I call those women/people 'pristine Christines' I wish I was tidier but I am not.

If they can pay, someone somewhere will do it. A friend of mine at 16 stone went to Romania and paid 6k for a gastric sleeve. She dropped to 9 stone in a year, then spent a year slowly putting all the weight back on. You can still eat little and often and very high calorie foods with a reduced stomach, appararently.

I think gastric surgery should be an absolute last resort. A lot of very big people have eating disorders, and surgery isn't going to address that.
A close family member had gastric surgery in Europe and dropped from 16 to 9st. She has addiction issues too so she's thinner but still screwed up. I won't elaborate further unless it's outing.

Reactions: 6
I have a friend like that. Just the two of them in the house.
Not a speck of dust ever or a thing out of place.
She washes perfectly clean floors. Daily.

I could do with some of her cleaning habits and she could do with some of my sitting around habits 😁
The MN crew all hate visitors and avoid them at all costs so it seems mental they do all this cleaning just for them ! I only ever really do a proper clean if I’m expecting people otherwise it’s just tidy as I go .

She can’t have had the flu if she managed to get out of bed and cook a meal. More like a bad cold. So yeah, sounds like a martyr!😂

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.