Mumsnet #7 Tinkly little laugh

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My child is getting one hand crafted toy wrapped in old newspaper this year. I'll be spending the money I would normally spend on plastic tat and noisy things for him, on gin and chocolate for me. It's the only way to teach him the value of things. When I say handcrafted, I mean I'll buy something that looks vaguely handmade from the nursery school Christmas Fayre or the charity shop. Then I'll take a photo of it and post it on Mumsnet to shame everyone who has spent more than a fiver on their kids.

And people say I'm a bad mother :D :D :D
Oh, you are getting your child a present AND wrapping it. You’re that kind of mother. How lovely. Personally I wake the children on Christmas morning and we look at photos of poor and starving people, then I berate them for being so spoilt and we gather all the presents friends and family have bought them and take them to a homeless shelter. You do know you’re raising a brat don’t you? I feel sorry for his future wife who will be expected to pander to him like you do. I despair, I really do.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Has anyone saw the North Face thread ? It’s another excuse to show how middle class they all are and on what planet are North Faces £300 there were loads on ASOS for under £100 for Black Friday . They all remind me of the mum in the film About a Boy

Reactions: 7
Like when any young innocent recommends lush for Christmas presents. Incoming the migraines, vomiting and five day headaches if any mumsnetter walks past a lush shop.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
Like when any young innocent recommends lush for Christmas presents. Incoming the migraines, vomiting and five day headaches if any mumsnetter walks past a lush shop.
TBF, that might actually be me! Just walking past an open Lush doorway gives me the wibbles :LOL:

Mumsnetters love getting very distressed over presents and giving presents. Most people see something they think a friend or relative would like and buy it for them, then just sort of forget about it. MNers "gift" things and see giving someone something as a present as an extended loan. Particularly if it's a bag of outgrown baby clothes, for some reason.

I get it that it's insensitive to dump unwanted presents at the charity shop next door to the giver's house. I'm not sure how it's less insensitive than handing the thing back and sitting the giver down to explain why you don't want it.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Someone singing the praises of their North Face jacket. I can only think "seriously cold arse"
1669674307223.png
o_O

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Surgically clean houses are just that, houses.

My clatty kip of a house is a home. Put your cup anywhere, lie on me sofa all day long, dont look at the skirting boards cos I only go over them with a damp cloth (maybe at Christmas) but remember the one rule, put your dirty clothes IN the wash basket not bloody ON it. 😀

My kids are grown now but after getting caught up in the MN threads I got to thinking “hmmmm maybe they were/are on the spectrum”.

Then I had a word with myself and concluded that nope, they were just little fuckers. Still are.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
There’s a thread on there at the moment asking if anyone has ever been in a situation where another woman has fancies their DH. Someone said basically yeah her husband is so hot his secretary, all the women at work and all her friends hit on him but he knows they only want him for his money (even though he’s super hot?) so he is faithful to her…

• Haha
Reactions: 15
They all wish they were Amanda from motherland. Instead, they are all Taylor Doose from Gilmore girls.

I've decided that I'm not taking any tit from the rude witches on AIBU. Wonder how much longer my account will last?
I get banned all the time for stepping out of line. Sometimes I just switch on the old VPN and jump straight back onto the thread like 'suprise witch, bet you thought you'd seen the last of me." Play whack-a-mole with the mods until they inevitably delete the thread entirely :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
Oh, you are getting your child a present AND wrapping it. You’re that kind of mother. How lovely. Personally I wake the children on Christmas morning and we look at photos of poor and starving people, then I berate them for being so spoilt and we gather all the presents friends and family have bought them and take them to a homeless shelter. You do know you’re raising a brat don’t you? I feel sorry for his future wife who will be expected to pander to him like you do. I despair, I really do.

Many years ago, I had a ringside seat to a real live one of these.

Two academic types doing "onedownmanship" on each other about how they spent their holidays.

One claimed that they "never leave the country (Ireland) as they don't wish to contribute to causing environmental damge but go camping instead."The other countered that they never leave their own house and "we just built a yurt in the garden for the children to stay in."

All bollocks of course but the amount of spite and venom between the pair of them was very real.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
There's a heck of a lot of deleted threads lately, also what's with banned posters resurrecting stuff from 2007?
As somebody who has been reading (and periodically trolling) mumsnet for 15 years, and been banned at least 300 times, I can actually answer this.

They weren't able to push the automatic ban list over from the old servers to the new servers when they changed a few months ago, which means that the mods now have to manually check a posters IP address (this lie that influencers spread explained here) against those on the file, and because they're on a new server old banned IP addresses can freely re-register. So the place is quite literally swimming with trolls at the moment. Even more than normal.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
As somebody who has been reading (and periodically trolling) mumsnet for 15 years, and been banned at least 300 times, I can actually answer this.

They weren't able to push the automatic ban list over from the old servers to the new servers when they changed a few months ago, which means that the mods now have to manually check a posters IP address (this lie that influencers spread explained here) against those on the file, and because they're on a new server old banned IP addresses can freely re-register. So the place is quite literally swimming with trolls at the moment. Even more than normal.
I was banned and signed up to a different account via a different device and email address. I posted an innocent question in the garden forum and they still found me and banned me. The only thing I can think of is I had an unusual password which I also used for the previous account so they must have matched it that way

Reactions: 5
Everyone I know does this. I’m always honest about going on holiday in term time (mainly because you have to phone in sick at my kids school everyday and I ain’t getting up at 7am when I’m on holiday) and last year I got fined! Fair enough, it’s a risk you take, but a few months later the headteacher was in a BBC news article saying fining parents for absenteeism was a last resort 😑 My daughter doesn’t have much time off school either so I was annoyed but paid it. Then she was poorly this year around the time of the queen’s funeral and she’d had ONE day off and they sent someone round to the house to check. I was fewmin’. Before covid I always supported not going away in term time etc, but school provision was so tit and the kids missed out on so much, I now think duck it.

Imagine though, if they sent someone round to a teacher’s house after they’d had one day off sick to check whether they were on holiday or not. Mumsnet would be buzzing.

• Wow
Mumsnetters love getting very distressed over presents and giving presents. Most people see something they think a friend or relative would like and buy it for them, then just sort of forget about it. MNers "gift" things and see giving someone something as a present as an extended loan. Particularly if it's a bag of outgrown baby clothes, for some reason.

I get it that it's insensitive to dump unwanted presents at the charity shop next door to the giver's house. I'm not sure how it's less insensitive than handing the thing back and sitting the giver down to explain why you don't want it.
OMG the outgrown baby clothes, always a golden opportunity to fire up MN. 'There was a handmade bla di bla, my DH's DGM made it while on her death bed. Now my BFF tells me that she passed the clothes along to XYZ. It's only been ten years since I gave them to her. AIBU?'

• Haha
There's a thread on there atm where the OP has given someone a lift to an activity for the past five years.

Of course, rather than sort it out face to face or over the phone, OP is sending messages drafted by mumsnet. Really stupid, martyrish, passive aggressive mumsnet "zingers" instead of simple clear communication. The woman called the OP crying and confused after receiving one of the messages.

I dunno, I just feel a lot of pity for the person on the receiving end of this who has acted rudely or thoughtlessly, but obviously assumed after five bleeping years of nothing being said that OP was OK with it.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.